Google buys Nest Labs, maker of smart thermostat, for $3.2 billion [u]

Comments

• Reply 101 of 337
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    [/quote]
    I seriously hope that Apple is getting ready for something "big". There are countless companies that have a lot to offer to Apple and their products, and they do nothing about it.

Just F*cking buy Tesla, Apple!

(great move, Google)

And Motorola just keeps getting more and more awesome (The best android phone, Moto X. Moto G, etc)

You sure fooled me, I didn't know you are running a billion dollar company, why don't you apply for Tim Cook's job since you seem to know better.
  • Reply 102 of 337
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,597member
    The entire US hardline back-bone is AT&T. Sorry, but there isn't a city in the US that AT&T can't reach a decade before Google.

Google sells its customer data. Without it their stock is no greater than $100/share. Without customer data mining Google never goes public.

Who is Google selling data to and why would they do it? If they simply sold off the information it wouldn't be long before advertisers wouldn't need their services. No, I would think they guard it like the crown jewels just as Apple does. IMHO It doesn't leave their control short of a court order.
  • Reply 103 of 337
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Weren't Honeywell suing Nest? Maybe they'll ramp that up now that Nest have rich backers.

Like I said, Google is walking into a trap by many giants in industries it has no experience working in.

• Reply 104 of 337
    Wasted opportunity for Apple..Nest would've been a good use of those ridiculous billions of $ they're sitting on.
  • Reply 105 of 337

Well, that's all I needed to hear. No Nest's for me! :) No Google, MS, Samsung, MS, Sony, LG in my home! :)

Shame, I really liked the nest.

Best.

• Reply 106 of 337
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

Google's outright acquisition comes as somewhat of a surprise as Nest was closing in on a funding round worth some $150, enough to net the company a valuation of more than $2 billion.

Now that's rich!
  • Reply 107 of 337
    Quote:

Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

Then that company would be just another competing product, that's the problem.

What needs to happen is a high quality, low cost, no license fee, secure standard needs to be developed for all of the products to inter-operate.  Then that standard has to be backed by a company that can put out high quality products to lead the industry and convince other companies to also use the standard.

This also applies to many other areas like smartphone - car integration, smartphone - home appliance integration, photo/contact sharing, video chat, etc.  We have too many vendor specific proprietary solutions so it's a confusing mish-mash of competing incompatible products.

And I'll say it, Apple is a guilty party, they announced Facetime was going to be a standard, it's not.  iPhone uses a proprietary charger, their car integration solution is proprietary, Airdrop is proprietary, Airplay is proprietary.  Don't expect Apple to carry the torch here.

I didn't mention Apple as being the one to "carry the torch" in my post. But I do agree with a lot of what you say concerning proprietary solutions. But sometimes it's the thing that makes the solution seem integrated in such a way to make it simple and easy to use as a whole. Which can help cut down on the users frustration and confusion.

• Reply 108 of 337
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Had Apple purchased Nest where would it have slotted in the company? Would Cook have kept it as a stand alone company or created a SVP of "home automation"? How would that SVP integrate with the current hardware/software/design SVPs? No way would Tony Fadell come back to Apple working for anyone but Tim Cook.
  • Reply 109 of 337
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

ATT would hardly be an improvement over Google if privacy is a huge concern to you. In fact I'd consider it a step backwards.

I don't recall ever using AT&T as my search engine. Keep Google usage confined to search, that's as far as I can stomach going.

• Reply 110 of 337
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Now that's rich!

Shoot I could've given them that. :lol:
  • Reply 111 of 337
    ssls6ssls6 Posts: 49member
    Google can use IP traffic analysis of you to know when you're home and adjust temperature. They tract you anyway why not use that tracking to adjust your thermostat? Better than nest just learning your behavior to playing with the knob and knowing what time it is.
  • Reply 112 of 337
    cpsro wrote: »
    I don't recall ever using AT&T as my search engine. Keep Google usage confined to search, that's as far as I can stomach going.
    http://searchengineland.com/att-interactive-more-than-30-percent-of-searches-on-network-are-mobile-118950
  • Reply 113 of 337
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member

Awesome. So now Google will know when you leave home and arrive. They'll know approximately how active your household is based on motion sensor triggers. They'll know your waking and sleeping schedule. They'll know how often you accidently trigger the fire alarm when cooking.

None of which is all that scary on their own. But for any other company looking to get into the connected home/smart appliance space, this type of data and Nest's experience will give them a huge leg up. I keep wishing that Apple would have bought them, but then I can't see how they could fit it into Apple's existing product line and ecosystem. But in terms of design and philosophy, they seemed so much more aligned with Apple than the googleplex.

• Reply 114 of 337
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,226member

Better re-read those Nest terms and conditions, and watch out for revisions. Nest may stay independent, but you can count on user data flowing back to the mother ship. With Nest motion sensors, Google will be watching you all the time.

I feel even more satisfied now at having ditched Nest for a Honeywell Prestige 2.0 thermostat.

• Reply 114 of 337
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member

"Google hires Tony Fadell for $3,2Billion as lead designer"

• Reply 116 of 337
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    hydr wrote: »
    "Google hires Tony Fadell for $3,2Billion as lead designer"
    Someone please explain how Tony Fadell is worth $3B.
  • Reply 117 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bighype View Post

Time for me to rip my Nest off my wall. Such a shame :(

F YOU GOOGLE! EVIL MOFOs!

Well, if you're looking to sell it... :)
  • Reply 118 of 337
    bill42 wrote: »
    I love my very apple-like Nest and this news troubles me... The Nest is a very un-Android-like device. I hope they don't ruin it.

I hope so, too. Have two for the house I am building. Won't know what Google does with it in time to return them.
    apple ][ wrote: »
    They probably will ruin it. Everybody knows how Google makes their money.

Now, Google will know even more about your life, your habits, your contacts and even your room temperature probably.

I'm not even all that concerned with what data they collect. Just that the ruin the experience. Or, worse, get lazy in how they update. Claim "we can only do this in Andriod, not iOS, because of Apple rules" when the truth would be it would just require more effort to do so properly. Google isn't know for there amazing iOS apps.
    Hogwash. Google is overextending itself into seasoned industries that will crush them. They'll write this experiment off in 24 months.

I hope not. I fear you are right. I fear this is a preemptive patent move.
  • Reply 119 of 337
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    tulkas wrote: »
    Awesome. So now Google will know when you leave home and arrive. They'll know approximately how active your household is based on motion sensor triggers. They'll know your waking and sleeping schedule. They'll know how often you accidently trigger the fire alarm when cooking.

In other words Google is the Santa Claus for adults.
  • Reply 120 of 337
    starbird73 wrote: »
    . I fear this is a preemptive patent move.

Nest took their patent cues from Apple: Patent everything and anything. As a result they're pretty well stocked with IP considering how young they are.