Judge denies Samsung new trial despite 'troubling' Apple appeal to prejudice

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

I don't know what tradition you speak of, but iPhones, for example, are much more complex to assemble than apparently you presume. Many workers in Chinese factories are Engineering graduates. The west literally does not have enough engineers to fulfill that demand.

Even if we did, would they work for that little money? Doubtful. So you are correct, and so is Mr Cook.

If you're saying that Foxconn is full of engineering graduates then that's going to need some sort of reputable citation to go with it.  I know of some student "interns" (some call it child labor) that have been found to work there, but never heard of it overflowing with engineers on the front lines.

Also, you don't need an engineering degree to assemble an iPhone.  Let's be realistic.

• Reply 42 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

Many workers in Chinese factories are Engineering graduates. The west literally does not have enough engineers to fulfill that demand.

The West does not have enough low-end engineers to fulfill the demand. These are people who have had, at max, two years of what we would call community college.

There are more than enough engineers in the US, IEEE had an article showing real total compensation for engineers has declined since the end of cold war spending. The west has too many engineers who will design and program a CNC mill. They don't have enough that will fix one when it breaks.

• Reply 43 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Then, don't whine when public policy doesn't go your way.

Aggressive. I always vote and no one was whining.

Could have been phrased better. It was meant in the spirit of "people who don't vote shouldn't whine about public policy that does not go their way."

• Reply 44 of 69
    city wrote: »
    There may have been Intellectual Property issues, but Sony produced quality televisions that were more reliable. They sold better without undercutting the retail price of their competitors.

You may be thinking of of the period when Sony developed and patented the Trinitron™ Picture tube which gave Sony a preferred place in the TV industry. Kind of like when Apple didn't have to compete with Sumsung's copy of the iPhone.
  • Reply 45 of 69
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Absolutely true. But I still feel that Election Day should be a federal holiday. Be able to take the day, go to your local voting station, and educate yourself on the issues with candidate information put up there. Have regulations on what information can be put there by each candidate (your content may not speak of other candidates in any capacity, any issue addressed by one candidate must be addressed by all, etc.).

If Election Day was a Federal Holiday everybody would be out of town.

• Reply 46 of 69
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by city View Post

If Election Day was a Federal Holiday everybody would be out of town.

LOL!

Nah, they'd be at the bar.  Which, for elections, works for me. :)

• Reply 47 of 69
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Oh, laziness and apathy are a HUGE part.  And I think part of what causes the apathy is the lack of education and the rampant ignorance in this country.  In countries like Finland and S. Korea, where the education level is very high, the turnout is higher than it is in the US.

Also, I believe that our present system of intense gerrymandering does not help.  In the vast majority of districts across the country the result is known long before the election ever happens.  Even without gerrymandering that can be the case.  My district, for example, in SE Michigan hasn't elected a Republican in my entire lifetime I don't think.  They could resurrect Lincoln, and he lose here too.

Or look at Henry Waxman's district, essentially Beverly Hills.  He's retiring, so it's an open seat this year.  The odds against a Republican winning there are better than the odds against me dating Maria Sharapova.  That should tell you something. :)

So, I think that that contributes in part to the apathy as well: People, whether it's in say my district, or somewhere in the deep South like Mississippi, already know the result.

This is even more important of a factor in states like Mississippi where a Democrat would never carry the state, or California where a Republican would never carry the state.  California has 53 reps, 38 of which are Democrats.  Conversely, Mississippi has 4 representatives, 3 of which are Republicans.

California is not gerrymandered. It has a bipartisan system for determining districts (backed by Republican). California has had several Republican Governors including Ronald Reagan, Pete Wilson and Arnie Schwarzenegger. Jerry Brown instituted several Republican like cost-cutting measures.   

• Reply 48 of 69
    Testing
  • Reply 49 of 69
    I refuse to vote, why? There are two major parties who are mirror images of each other. The minor parties are irrelevant unless they are part of a coalition, and may hold sway.
    Choice? You have to be kidding. I refuse to become part of this sham, and disappointed more don't hold the same view point.
    One poster remarked that if you don't vote then don't whine, this is narrow thinking and appears to me to be a typical knee jerk reaction to a complex issue.
  • Reply 50 of 69
    konqerror wrote: »

There are more than enough engineers in the US, IEEE had an article showing real total compensation for engineers has declined since the end of cold war spending. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">The west has too many engineers who will</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;"> design and program a CNC mill. They don't have enough that will fix one when it breaks.</span>

You are getting closer to the truth than anyone else. It's not the total number of engineers that is the problem, but the agility and infrastructure that brings them to bear...

In China, when 10,000 engineers are needed to build a super-factory, including the production equipment and production lines, the testing facilities (not to mention to build the infrastructure to support, feed and house the much larger numbers of workers), they can have those 10,000 engineers on site in a matter of days. In the USA we would still be interviewing engineers. It takes the USA months to accomplish a ramp-up process that can be done in days or weeks in China, It's this agility with even professional people that gives China an edge.
  • Reply 51 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

In the USA we would still be interviewing engineers. It takes the USA months to accomplish a ramp-up process that can be done in days or weeks in China, It's this agility with even professional people that gives China an edge.

That's not true. If you need somebody like that, you hire them as a consultant. If you don't want to interview, you go hire a consulting firm who has the people lined up already. This is exactly the job of Foxconn, they shuffle or absorb any unused capacity.

The more important somebody is, the more you have to interview them. Compare a CEO versus a fast food worker. The people being hired in China are simply fast food workers.

• Reply 52 of 69
    jas99jas99 Posts: 162member

Because they feel their votes don't count as much as millionaires - or at all. And they're correct.

• Reply 53 of 69
    jas99jas99 Posts: 162member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Perhaps that will help. But your vote counts only if you actually go out and vote. Why do the less well-off Americans vote in such small numbers?

Because they don't believe their votes count as much as millionaires' money does. And they're right.

• Reply 54 of 69
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Why is Samsung so adamant even though it has been proven without a doubt that it thrives on copying other companies, not just Apple?
  • Reply 55 of 69
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ithinkthere4iam View Post

I refuse to vote, why? 

Because you are satisfied to have whoever everyone else votes for...

• Reply 56 of 69
    No, not at all. I thought I was quite clear in my post. It's because we actually have no choice (even though it appears we do) is the reason.
    I won't take any part. Do I have to accept who has control ? Yes. Do I like it? No.
    Can I tell the difference between the two main parties ? No. Even if their PR machine tells us it isn't so, I know better.
    Stop voting, what have you got to lose?
    You may be surprised on the outcome.
  • Reply 57 of 69
    Originally Posted by Ithinkthere4iam View Post

I thought I was quite clear in my post. It's because we actually have no choice (even though it appears we do) is the reason.

Your opinion is worth as much as the work you put into your vote. Go away.

• Reply 58 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by city View Post

California is not gerrymandered. It has a bipartisan system for determining districts (backed by Republican). California has had several Republican Governors including Ronald Reagan, Pete Wilson and Arnie Schwarzenegger. Jerry Brown instituted several Republican like cost-cutting measures.   

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  What I meant to say was that in an Electoral College system, where a Republican stands no chance in California and a Democrat stands no chance in Mississippi, the force of apathy -- the feeling that "my vote won't mean anything" -- is even more powerful.

• Reply 59 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Your opinion is worth as much as the work you put into your vote. Go away.

Although I always vote, he does have a point.  In many situations, there really is very little difference between candidates.

Now, often there are referenda or the like, and those DO make a difference.

• Reply 60 of 69
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    cpsro wrote: »
    Yes, it is troubling that there are no American television manufacturers.

Should be considered a matter of national security given that we all know how important propaganda (corporate media news) and pacification (sports and entertainment) are to keep the public peacefully and quietly at bay.
    If there's no ample supply of TVs, the country could blow up in a civil war...

To prevent the ability of the enemy to subvert the country like this, there's but one solution: free, made-with-pride-in-the-USA TVs for all!