WWE Network launches on iPhone, iPad & Apple TV, offering every PPV for $10 per month

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited March 2014
Monday morning brought about the launch of the new streaming network from World Wrestling Entertainment, as well as new applications for both iOS and the Apple TV that allow users to access the content from all of their Apple devices with a $10-per-month subscription.

WWE

Users can subscribe to the WWE Network through the official Apple TV application using their iTunes account. Signups are also available on the WWE website, and content can be streamed from a browser as well as the organization's official iOS app for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

The WWE Network runs $9.99 per month, plus applicable tax, and subscriptions are available in six-month blocks. Access to the network offers all 12 of the company's live Pay-Per-View events, including its biggest show of the year, Wrestlemania 30, which will be held April 6 in New Orleans.

WWE

The new network offers both a live channel with programming airing throughout the day, as well as on-demand content that users can access anytime they like. The subscription includes over 1,000 hours of on-demand content, including every Pay-Per-View ever aired by the WWE, as well as those held by defunct rival promotions World Championship Wrestling and Extreme Championship Wrestling.

WWE will also begin airing new original series on its network such as "Legends House," "Wrestlemania Rewind," and "The Monday Night War: WWE vs. WCW." The company will also air "NXT" matchups featuring superstars-in-training from its Orlando, Fla.-based Performance Center.

Availability of the WWE Network across Apple's range of devices was revealed earlier this month. WWE originally was not planning to allow users to subscribe with their iTunes account, but access has been made available through Apple TV. iOS device users, however, must still subscribe through a browser.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    Vince is a visionary, no doubt about it. He's always the first to adapt and evolve.

It's a shame that even wwe doesn't treat the world outside the USA the same way.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong, but that Apple TV home screen is looking mighty cluttered.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Good. More content!

Apple needs content especially because unlike their rivals Netflix an Amazon, they don't create it.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    I think the content should be available in app store instead of forced on your screen.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyltd View Post

Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong, but that Apple TV home screen is looking mighty cluttered.

yup  - and now even more junk.

Funny how all these buttons wast space with the word WATCH!, as if that is going to make anybody click to watch :no:

• Reply 6 of 51
    Originally Posted by scottyltd View Post

So turn things off that you don’t use.

• Reply 7 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    "Subscribe with iTunes"

What did I tell you.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    scottyltd wrote: »

I hid most of the apps using Settings. I only use YouTube, Netflix and AirPlay.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

"Subscribe with iTunes"

What did I tell you.

I’m excited. Thing is, ISPs will just cap everyone’s home Internet to 50 gigabytes a month and it will be impossible to actually use Apple’s TV killer as a TV killer.

• Reply 10 of 51
    I’m excited. Thing is, ISPs will just cap everyone’s home Internet to 50 gigabytes a month and it will be impossible to actually use Apple’s TV killer as a TV killer.

Yeah, may happen. Probably not in Ireland, but yeah. America's version on the competition commission should step in if it happens.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member

I'm not going to complain about WWE coming to AppleTV because I can turn it off but I'd really like to see more mainstream channels being added that would really tempt me to get rid of Comcast. Oh wait, I can't get rid of them because my only other ISP choice is Frontier over DSL. I know there's no way Apple would ever want to become an ISP, especially because they would have to lease existing broadband lines, but Comcast has become too large for any realistic competition to take place (at least on the West coast). With Netflix paying to get preferential treatment, Comcast has no reason to compete on price. Where's the DOJ when they could really help the consumer? 

• Reply 12 of 51
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

America's version on the competition commission should step in if it happens.

They’re what let the telecoms do what they’ve already done. “Should”–in this case understood as “doing their only job”–is wishful thinking. :grumble:

• Reply 13 of 51
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    But wait, I thought we were told just last week that Apple wasn't getting WWE because they wanted 50% cut?
  • Reply 14 of 51
    rogifan wrote: »
    But wait, I thought we were told just last week that Apple wasn't getting WWE because they wanted 50% cut?

What we were told here last week in a 'report' was that WWE would be added to Apple TV without the ability to "subscribe with iTunes". To which I presciently commented 'and yet when it gets added it will miraculously have the subscribe with iTunes option'. How did I know? Because it was obvious.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    Next up...get exclusives with the NFL and NBA and baseball. It's coming (I think).
  • Reply 16 of 51

I am getting pretty tired of seeing shell "channels" with zero content until you pass a login or paywall.  At least provide SOME content at no charge like a FULL previous event, some sample videos, SOMETHING!

• Reply 17 of 51
    Next up...get exclusives with the NFL and NBA and baseball. It's coming (I think).

What is that?
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

I am getting pretty tired of seeing shell "channels" with zero content until you pass a login or paywall.  At least provide SOME content at no charge like a FULL previous event, some sample videos, SOMETHING!

I’m getting furious at the shell channels that require payment to cable or satellite providers to use, rather than having their own system for just that channel.

• Reply 19 of 51

You won't mind that when you have to deliberately download the app. No, I think it makes sense and it 'for now' allows Apple TV to be an ad-free experience. Though, clearly Netflix will get ads at some point, much to my dismay.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So turn things off that you don’t use.

So now Apple is wandering down the road of Crapplications. How very quaint and Microsoft.

OK, we can hide the crap, great. Let's all do a slow clap.

But where are the obvious useful things that could and should be there, but aren't?

I consider my AppleTV (gen 3) "rather lame," and that's gennerous.