$89K worth of counterfeit Apple products seized by police from Maryland mall

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    philboogie wrote: »
    I don't think one could create a worse-than-Samsung-quality product.
    interesting, didn't Samsung S3 out sold the iPhone last year, at the same price as the iPhone? BTW I owned an iPhone
  • Reply 22 of 29
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    iphone5ss wrote: »
    I don't think one could create a worse-than-Samsung-quality product.
    interesting, didn't Samsung S3 out sold the iPhone last year, at the same price as the iPhone? BTW I owned an iPhone

I'm failing to see the relevance here.

1) I said that I don't think there's a phone out there that is of worse quality than Samsung. That doesn't mean Samsung is crap; it means they are the lowest on the list, not meaning they are crap.

2) Sale numbers are a measure of, well, sales. Not quality, be it hardware or software, not customer satisfaction. Sale numbers are a bit like Wall Street valuing a companies stock; interesting, but not end-all kinda thing

3) No idea what you mean by 'I owned an iPhone', apart from not having one anymore.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    I cant believe that people can do this to a little shop! People buy these cheaper refurbished iPhones and they KNOW that they are counter fit, or "NON-OEM" This is a RIP! VaultFeed said something worth noting: http://vaultfeed.com/counterfeit-iphone-and-apple-products-taken-by-police-worth-89000-video/ Auto Parts businesses sell "NON-OEM" parts, but they don't get busted? Why don't we all have the freedom to use the parts we want, when we want! I think Apple just wants to control the quality of their products! But even the most long-term-reliable auto makers like Honda have MILLIONs of counterfeit parts sold yearly, and they don't go around getting everyone in trouble because people have "less of a quality experience" This doesn't make sense to me! Why can police steal a poor shops stuff because of this? I DONT think that the cops can really do something like this. Don't you agree with me that if they cant bust auto-part makers how is the device and device repair world any different? PLESE TELL...
  • Reply 24 of 29
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    jpboram wrote: »
    I cant believe that people can do this to a little shop! People buy these cheaper refurbished iPhones and they KNOW that they are counter fit, or "NON-OEM" This is a RIP! VaultFeed said something worth noting: http://vaultfeed.com/counterfeit-iphone-and-apple-products-taken-by-police-worth-89000-video/ Auto Parts businesses sell "NON-OEM" parts, but they don't get busted? Why don't we all have the freedom to use the parts we want, when we want! I think Apple just wants to control the quality of their products! But even the most long-term-reliable auto makers like Honda have MILLIONs of counterfeit parts sold yearly, and they don't go around getting everyone in trouble because people have "less of a quality experience" This doesn't make sense to me! Why can police steal a poor shops stuff because of this? I DONT think that the cops can really do something like this. Don't you agree with me that if they cant bust auto-part makers how is the device and device repair world any different? PLESE TELL...

It's not non-OEM that's the issue, it's using Apple's trademarks illegally and passing it off as the real thing.

Third party auto parts aren't illegal. Using Honda's logo and passing it off as authentic is.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    I'm failing to see the relevance here.

1) I said that I don't think there's a phone out there that is of worse quality than Samsung. That doesn't mean Samsung is crap; it means they are the lowest on the list, not meaning they are crap.

2) Sale numbers are a measure of, well, sales. Not quality, be it hardware or software, not customer satisfaction. Sale numbers are a bit like Wall Street valuing a companies stock; interesting, but not end-all kinda thing

3) No idea what you mean by 'I owned an iPhone', apart from not having one anymore.
    First off, I got 2 phones. The phone is issued by my company, which is a iphone. My second phone, a htc one, which is my personal phone that I chose n paid for.
    I spend more time with my phones then any gadgets that I'd own, including my computers. I mostly use it for Web browsing, email, music, movies, news, and the most is texting. So I know my phones very well, and not a fan of any phone maker. I just go with whatever that's better n fit my needs. Which is a lot. Iphone just doesn't cut it for me anymore. It is too restricted n not powerful enough. The screen is way too small. N there Ios is sooooo boring! The new ios 7 is old stuff, that's been out on Android many moons ago. I was really excited for this yr iphone. But with all the leaks, it seems that it's gonna be the same phone as last year. Im not a ihater, I want a iphone that I like. Bc after all I'll b using it.
    Don't be a fan of anything! Especially in technology. Bc there r many great phones out there. All are competing for ur money.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

It's not non-OEM that's the issue, it's using Apple's trademarks illegally and passing it off as the real thing.

Third party auto parts aren't illegal. Using Honda's logo and passing it off as authentic is.

This is very true. Two of the automotive companies that most vigorously and aggressively enforce their trademarks are Ferrari and Shelby. Similar to Apple, making compatible parts for these marques (that don't infringe on patents) won't get you in trouble - it's trying to pass off something that isn't what it purports to be.

• Reply 27 of 29

God, people are so stupid it blows me away. Of course, no one was arrested because EBAY IS TOO BIG to arrest...

This is a customs issue and nothing more. Raiding mom and pop repair shops is harassment and I hope Cyberion sues the state police and the state of Maryland.

It's days like this where I'm embarrassed to be a human. Most of you are techs, but the intelligence level in here is appalling! (not you, mstone). There is not a single shred of evidence that Cyberion ever claimed to be an "APPLE AUTHORIZED RESELLER" or "APPLE CERTIFIED". Furthermore, they didn't manufacture the products and Maryland only requires a business license to repair computers.

But morons will buy into ANYTHING you see on TV. All it takes is a 2 min video to influence public perception. People will cheer the raid of this mom n' pop repair shop while the real companies responsible for these products getting into the US are none other than EBAY, (example 1) and AMAZON (example 2) of whom, does everything in their power to assist and defend their #1 customer: CHINA.

"Genuine" MacBook Battery for sale on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151201678466

But that's not the report you'll hear.... And you won't hear about the "big bad Maryland State Police" busting eBay, because they got stonewalled in their investigation when eBay basically said "Mess with us, and we'll buy your department and fire everyone." Maryland State Police should be ashamed for bullying a little mom and pop repair shop. I hope they sue the pants off them. I've installed many of color conversion kits and I'm not ashamed of it. All my paperwork clearly states "Not an official Apple Store or Apple reseller. We do not honor warranty repairs under AppleCare." Got a problem? Call eBay.

• Reply 28 of 29

I dont think that you understand. Ebay is not the supplier for Cyberion for iPhone parts. I am sure that they get all of their parts from suppliers in the United States and those suppliers get them from China or actually make the parts here in the US. Some aftermarket, others OEM. I know for a fact that they do not use parts from Ebay or amazon unless they have to. If you go through a suppliers you can send back defective parts, ship cost go down, and you can expect your parts the following day with one day shipping. 

• Reply 29 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by atokosch View Post

I dont think that you understand. Ebay is not the supplier for Cyberion for iPhone parts. I am sure that they get all of their parts from suppliers in the United States and those suppliers get them from China or actually make the parts here in the US. Some aftermarket, others OEM. I know for a fact that they do not use parts from Ebay or amazon unless they have to. If you go through a suppliers you can send back defective parts, ship cost go down, and you can expect your parts the following day with one day shipping. 

Are you speculating? Because I'm not. I play ball in in Shenzhen with Elek World. Sang karaoke with Jimmy Wong, Peter Zao and the Carlias Group. Been inside on Hon Hai more than once. Stumbled around CocoPark at 4AM.