Director David Fincher may reteam with writer Aaron Sorkin for 'Steve Jobs' film

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2014
David Fincher, the acclaimed director who was behind the camera for Aaron Sorkin's Academy Award winning "The Social Network," is said to be in talks to reteam for the film adaptation of Walter Isaacson's "Steve Jobs" biography.

Steve Jobs


Fincher is currently engaged in early talks with studio Sony Pictures Entertainment to direct the upcoming film, according to The Hollywood Reporter. If a deal is struck, Fincher would be reunited not only with Sorkin, but also with producer Scott Rudin, who also worked on "Social Network."

That film was loosely based on the true story of Facebook and its founder Mark Zuckerberg, though Sorkin's script took numerous liberties to deviate from events as they happened.

Other films by Fincher over his illustrious career include "Se7en," "Fight Club," "Zodiac, and "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo."

Sorkin reportedly finished his "Jobs" script in January. The screenwriter has indicated that the film will consist of scenes that take place before the unveilings of three key products: the original Mac, NeXT, and the iPod.

The upcoming movie will be the second attempt at a Steve Jobs feature after indie film "Jobs," the ill-received Ashton Kutcher vehicle released in 2013.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 24
    Neat, it would without a doubt be far better than the Ashton Kutcher movie. Not that a writer/director would have to work hard to accomplish that feat.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    crowleycrowley Posts: 5,928member
    The three-scene setup doesn't really sound like an adaptation of the WI biography, apart from having the same main character.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    It will be a movie loosely based on some famous tech god dude ...
  • Reply 4 of 24

    Waiting to be wowed.

  • Reply 5 of 24
    Interesting.

    Now, as an armchair cinema critic who, from my mother's basement, knows more about cinema than the people who run Hollywood (sort of like how most of us on this forum know more about Apple than the people who work there and run it), I would like to second-guess this choice of director.

    I say that Jonathan Demme should direct.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Daniel Day Lewis.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    davdav Posts: 92member

    Edward Norton as Steve Jobs

  • Reply 8 of 24
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

    How about Jim Carrey for Steve Jobs? He's into serious roles now right?

     

    Honestly, sounds pretty boring if their plan is to focus on Mac, NEXT, and iPod. For a new film it would be much more relevant if there were anyway to touch on the evolution from iPod to iPhone. Then again, not much is known about that, so it would be tough to do without totally fictionalizing.

  • Reply 9 of 24
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post



    Daniel Day Lewis.

     

    How about Christian Bale?

  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

     

    How about Jim Carrey for Steve Jobs? He's into serious roles now right?

     

    Honestly, sounds pretty boring if their plan is to focus on Mac, NEXT, and iPod. For a new film it would be much more relevant if there were anyway to touch on the evolution from iPod to iPhone. Then again, not much is known about that, so it would be tough to do without totally fictionalizing.


     

    Maybe, but Jim can seem funny even when he's not trying to be funny.

  • Reply 11 of 24

    Ashton Kutcher. Because he did so well the first time.

  • Reply 12 of 24
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Keanu Reeves comeback.
    Only Neo is worthy.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,788member

    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post



    If a deal is struck, Fincher would be reunited not only with Sorkin, but also with producer Scott Rudin, who also worked on "Social Network."

     

    Rudin has produced many Oscar-winning and Oscar-nominated movies, including "No Country for Old Men," "Captain Phillips," "Inside Llewyn Davis," "Moonrise Kingdom," "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo," and "Moneyball."

     

     


    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post



    That film was loosely based on the true story of Facebook and its founder Mark Zuckerberg, though Sorkin's script took numerous liberties to deviate from events as they happened.


     


    And I thought there were waaaaaay too many boring scenes with lawyers in conference rooms.


    "Perry Mason" it was not.


     


     




    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post



    Other films by Fincher over his illustrious career include "Se7en," "Fight Club," "Zodiac, and "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo."


     



    One of my fave Fincher flicks is "The Game," 1997.

  • Reply 14 of 24
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

    This would truly be awesome. Incredible team.

  • Reply 15 of 24
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Eddie Murphy as Jobs.

    How could you go wrong?
  • Reply 16 of 24
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I'd love to see a 'social networking' version of a film about Jobs.

    Hell, I might even pay money to see it!

    (I know I'd pay money to un-see the last Jobs film)
  • Reply 17 of 24
    pmz wrote: »
    Honestly, sounds pretty boring if their plan is to focus on Mac, NEXT, and iPod. For a new film it would be much more relevant if there were anyway to touch on the evolution from iPod to iPhone. Then again, not much is known about that, so it would be tough to do without totally fictionalizing.

    I think those events were chosen because of the importance they have to the story of Steve's life and career, not so much the story of Apple or its products. Steve was already at the top of his game when the iPhone was announced.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    How about Christian Bale?

    Christian? You realize Steve was Buddhist, right? ;)
  • Reply 19 of 24
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Rudin has produced many Oscar-winning and Oscar-nominated movies, including "No Country for Old Men," "Captain Phillips," "Inside Llewyn Davis," "Moonrise Kingdom," "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo," and "Moneyball."


    One of my fave Fincher flicks is "The Game," 1997.

    Not bad, but I prefer Fight Club.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post





    Christian? You realize Steve was Buddhist, right? image

     

    Buddhist Bale wasn't available.

Sign In or Register to comment.