Apple releases OS X 10.9.2 with fix for SSL security flaw, plus new FaceTime Audio

Comments

• Reply 161 of 196
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) I was using help in regards to your previous post but they do use help in the same way in the sentence "helping you secure Time Machine backups."

2) Read what they wrote. This is marketing speak but it's all truthful. If, however, you think Apple lied then you have a case against a company with deep pockets. Good luck¡

1 - There is no mention of using "help" to avoid viruses  (back to the original point of all this)

2 - "It doesn't get PC viruses" and"Safeguard your data.  By doing nothing" --  That's not marketing speak.  That's bullshit and very misleading to the general public.. 

So - let's get all the way back to the original point.  Apple ran ads marketing the fact that the Mac didn't get viruses.  Period.  Even AI agrees, and AI is never wrong.  :)

http://appleinsider.com/articles/08/12/03/apple_pulls_support_note_recommending_antivirus_software

Apple pulls support note recommending antivirus software

By AppleInsider Staff

Apple has removed a widely publicized support document from its website that encouraged Mac OS X users to install antivirus software, explaining that its operating system was designed with safeguards to protect against malicious attacks on its own.

The recommendation drew widespread attention given that the Mac maker has been critical in its television advertisements of Windows users' need to stock up on virus detection software while its own computers remain immune to viral threats.

• Reply 162 of 196

Nope, I had to time machine back to a previous save before 10.9.2

Nothing was really working correctly. Many programs didn't open at all, some didn't function and some crashed. An SSL security issue doesn't outweigh an unusable iMac for me.

I'll try with the next update.

• Reply 163 of 196
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    runbuh wrote: »
    1 - There is no mention of using "help" to avoid viruses  (back to the original point of all this)
    2 - "It doesn't get PC viruses" and"Safeguard your data.  By doing nothing" --  That's not marketing speak.  That's bullshit and very misleading to the general public.. 

So - let's get all the way back to the original point.  Apple ran ads marketing the fact that the Mac didn't get viruses.  Period.  Even AI agrees, and AI is never wrong.  :)

1) You posted where it said "help" earlier. Did you just make that up?

2) Doesn't get PC viruses which is followed up by an explanation that Mac OS can't get Windows viruses is confusing to you?

3) Still waiting for you to show me evidence where Apple said that Mac OS can't get any viruses. Note that Macs got plenty of viruses pre-OS X.
  • Reply 164 of 196
    Quote:

1) You posted where it said "help" earlier. Did you just make that up?

2) Doesn't get PC viruses which is followed up by an explanation that Mac OS can't get Windows viruses is confusing to you?

3) Still waiting for you to show me evidence where Apple said that Mac OS can't get any viruses. Note that Macs got plenty of viruses pre-OS X.

1 - I'll try and clarify.  

I posted two links to the Internet Archive's capture of Apple's "Why You'll Love a Mac" web ad.  The first version has the very clear, unambigious, wording that states "It doesn’t get PC viruses.  A Mac isn’t susceptible to the thousands of viruses plaguing Windows-based computers. That’s thanks to built-in defenses in Mac OS X that keep you safe, without any work on your part." and "Safeguard your data. By doing nothing.  With virtually no effort on your part, OS X defends against viruses and other malicious applications, or malware.".  In this ad, there is no wording like Mac OS X will "help keep you safe" or "help defend".  It contains clear and simple wording that Mac OS X will "keep you safe, without any work on your part".   All of this wording is in the section titled "It doesn't PC viruses". 

The second link was to the Internet Archive's capture of that same URL *after* Apple changed the wording due to the Flashback trojan that hit over 600,000 machines.  The clear and unambiguous wording has been softened to state that "It helps keep you safe.  Built-in defenses in OS X help keep you safe from unknowingly downloading malicious software on your Mac.".  Also gone is the wording about "Safeguard your data. By doing nothing.".  Now it states "Safety. Built right in.  We designed OS X with powerful, advanced technologies that work together to constantly scrutinize, encrypt, update, and ultimately keep your Mac safer".  Now instead of "keep you safe", the ad states that Mac OS X "helps keep you safe" and will "keep your Mac safer".

2 - From the original web ad, read the wording again. The wording states "It doesn’t get PC viruses.  A Mac isn’t susceptible to the thousands of viruses plaguing Windows-based computers. That’s thanks to built-in defenses in Mac OS X that keep you safe, without any work on your part."  Are you saying that when the ad states that "It doesn't get PC viruses", Apple is referring solely to the "viruses plaguing Windows-based computers"?  If so, I have to disagree.  If this was only about Windows viruses, then why did Apple further state in the same sentence that it doesn't get "PC" viruses "thanks to built-in defenses in Mac OS X that keep you safe, without any work on your part."?  Also, as we all know, there have been many viruses that infect both Windows PC's and Mac PC's (same virus infect both types of PC's, without the Mac running Windows via Fusion, Parallels, or Bootcamp).

3 - Please read the first version of the ad one, more time, with a consumer eye.  The ad uses very clear wording about "built-in defenses in Mac OS X that keep you safe, without any work on your part" and "Safeguard your data. By doing nothing.  With virtually no effort on your part, OS X defends against viruses and other malicious applications, or malware."   Where does it say in the ad that a Mac can get viruses?  Everything in the "It doesn't get PC viruses" says that Mac OS X will "keep you safe".  Also, here's two of the most blatant examples from the Mac vs. PC ads

At about  29:23:

Megan: "I just need something that works without crashing, or viruses, or a ton of headaches"

PC: "Did you say no viruses, or crashes, or headaches?"

Megan: "Yeah"

PC: "Ugh!  She's all yours, Mac."

Mac: "Hi, how are you"

Megan: "Good"

Mac: "I'm a Mac"

Megan: "I'm a Megan"

(end of commercial)

At about 30:55:

Lady: "And I want one that just works without thousands of viruses and tons of headaches"

Top of the Line PC: "Look, Lady, any PC you get is gonna have those problems"

Lady: "Well, I think I'll go with Mac"

Mac: "Great"

Top of the Line PC: "When you're, uh, ready to compromise, you call me"

(end of commercial)

• Reply 165 of 196
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

It contains clear and simple wording that Mac OS X will "keep you safe, without any work on your part".

Yep. Because it does. Your point?

Now instead of "keep you safe", the ad states that Mac OS X "helps keep you safe" and will "keep your Mac safer".

This is going to be the greatest windup ever.

Are you saying that when the ad states that "It doesn't get PC viruses", Apple is referring solely to the "viruses plaguing Windows-based computers"?

YES. WE ARE. BECAUSE THAT’S EXACTLY WHAT IT MEANS.

If so, I have to disagree.

Too bad! Apple doesn’t.

If this was only about Windows viruses, then why did Apple further state in the same sentence that it doesn't get "PC" viruses "thanks to built-in defenses in Mac OS X that keep you safe, without any work on your part."?

Is this a question that needs to be asked of another human being? Is this a question that does not inherently resolve itself within the confines of a single brain? Shouldn’t the answer be readily apparent, given the content and order of the words within, is what I’m saying.

…there have been many viruses that infect both…

Nope.™

Where does it say in the ad that a Mac can get viruses?

No. Sorry. Not how this works. Where does that paragraph say that it CANNOT?

“Nope.” is a trademark of Jim Dalrymple and may not be used without the express written consent of Jim Dalrymple.

• Reply 166 of 196

Lady: "And I want one that just works without thousands of viruses and tons of headaches"
    (end of commercial)

Ugh! I really don't mean to be offensive here but this is likely talking to a child so I'll make this brief.

1) You can't quantify "tons of headaches" This was added to the sentence using the conjunction and not or for a reason.

2) What thousands of viruses does Mac OS X have?

You not understanding the words used in advertising does mean Apple is lying to you. That said, you could have taken the stand post BootCamp that Apple should use the word Mac without specifically mentioning Mac OS X since someone really stupid might assume that running Windows on a Mac also means they aren't going to get "thousands of viruses" but as stated already you can't quantify "tons of headaches." Have you seriously not ever considered why they would use a unit of weight to describe a headache? Have you not considered why they didn't say "without ever getting a headache"? This is very easy stuff.
  • Reply 167 of 196
    Quote:

Ugh! I really don't mean to be offensive here but this is likely talking to a child so I'll make this brief.

1) You can't quantify "tons of headaches" This was added to the sentence using the conjunction and not or for a reason.

2) What thousands of viruses does Mac OS X have?

You not understanding the words used in advertising does mean Apple is lying to you. That said, you could have taken the stand post BootCamp that Apple should use the word Mac without specifically mentioning Mac OS X since someone really stupid might assume that running Windows on a Mac also means they aren't going to get "thousands of viruses" but as stated already you can't quantify "tons of headaches." Have you seriously not ever considered why they would use a unit of weight to describe a headache? Have you not considered why they didn't say "without ever getting a headache"? This is very easy stuff.

1 - Read the wording from the commercial again.  Specific words in a specific order.

Megan: "I just need something that works without crashing, or viruses, or a ton of headaches"

PC: "Did you say no viruses, or crashes, or headaches?"

PC: "Ugh! She's all yours, Mac."

2 - I don't see any lists out there that allow one to filter out a technical "virus" from other forms of malware, like trojans.  The only "easy" list I can find from a quick search is the Sophos list of 15,200("osx" search) or 19,200 ("mac" search) instances of malware.  However, most of the returned results appear to be trojans, not viruses.

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/search-results.aspx?page=2&refine=1a1e9ea6979a493dba64e1b2ced03044&search=osx

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/search-results.aspx?search=mac&refine=1a1e9ea6979a493dba64e1b2ced03044

• Reply 168 of 196

See, that’s what we feel, too. So somebody’s doing something wrong somewhere.

If you don’t understand how specific words in a specific order in a sentence form a meaning, we’re never going to get anywhere with this. Let’s fix that first.

• Reply 169 of 196

(end of commercial)

If you think you have such a great case against Apple lying unendlessly to the public why don't you sue them? Why hasn't anyone else sued them?
  • Reply 170 of 196
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member

Let's just stop here and realize you're talking about an ad campaign that started 2006 and ended 2009. So your complaints cover ad that are over four years old!

So maybe they could have been worded better. But the communication point remains that the problems on Macs are dwarfed by the problems on Windows.

While you're at it, are you going to sue Microsoft because Surface tablets don't actually make good dance props?
  • Reply 171 of 196
    Quote:

If you think you have such a great case against Apple lying unendlessly to the public why don't you sue them? Why hasn't anyone else sued them?

Quote:

The comment earlier in this thread was that Apple never said that Mac's don't get viruses.  They did. 

I'm not looking to sue Apple, and we don't know that no else did or didn't.

• Reply 172 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Let's just stop here and realize you're talking about an ad campaign that started 2006 and ended 2009. So your complaints cover ad that are over four years old!

So maybe they could have been worded better. But the communication point remains that the problems on Macs are dwarfed by the problems on Windows.

While you're at it, are you going to sue Microsoft because Surface tablets don't actually make good dance props?

The comment earlier in this thread was that Apple never said that Mac's don't get viruses.  They did.  Let's all move on.

• Reply 173 of 196

The comment earlier in this thread was that Apple never said that Mac's don't get viruses.  They did.  Let's all move on.

And leave your lie standing? I don't think so. You're clearly not willing to see that what you are asserting has been successfully challenged by several people.

Apple never said that Macs don't get viruses.
  • Reply 174 of 196
    The comment earlier in this thread was that Apple never said that Mac's don't get viruses.  They did. 

I'm not looking to sue Apple, and we don't know that no else did or didn't.

That was your claim which you still haven't proved. Where does it say that Macs can't get viruses that target Mac OS X? You'll have to show something that stated, without any doubt, that Apple has asserted that it's impossible for Mac OS X to get even a single virus, not marketing speak that is designed to clever wording to confuse the less perceptive regarding Mac OS not being able to get Windows viruses.
  • Reply 175 of 196
    jeffdm wrote: »

You mean the device that is advertised as having no compromises yet seems to be only compromises?
  • Reply 176 of 196

Seventh time now: at no point has Apple ever said this.

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You mean the device that is advertised as having no compromises yet seems to be only compromises?

I always liked Microsoft’s “Life without walls” campaign for Windows.

If you don’t have any walls, why do you need Windows?

• Reply 177 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

And leave your lie standing? I don't think so. You're clearly not willing to see that what you are asserting has been successfully challenged by several people.

Apple never said that Macs don't get viruses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eEG5LVXdKo:

(end of commercial)

• Reply 178 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Seventh time now: at no point has Apple ever said this.

And I continue to prove you WRONG:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eEG5LVXdKo:

(end of commercial)

• Reply 179 of 196

And I continue to prove you WRONG:

Please just shut up now. You have no new arguments. You keep repeating long-defeated nonsense. We will continue to tell you, until the end of time, that you are wrong. We can only present what we already have, as that’s the truth. If you are unwilling or incapable of comprehending the truth as presented, let us know so that we might reword it. But we’re not going to change it.

There are no viruses for OS X and Macs cannot be infected with PC viruses. Period.

• Reply 180 of 196
    comleycomley Posts: 139member
    Because it to different operating system