Apple's Greg Joswiak appears onstage with Ferrari to introduce new CarPlay-equipped grand ...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 93
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post

Actually I've read that CarPlay runs on (is powered by) QNX.

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/apple-carplay-powered-by-blackberry-qnx-04-03-2014/

my point is, CarPlay will likely run on top of any kind of underlying generic OS with the necessary adaptations for it. QNX, Linux, whatever. the carmarker will determine what Nav system OS they want to use. i suppose there are various ones in use now.

• Reply 42 of 93
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Well, the passenger can still do all of that either with the plugged in iPhone or a mobile iPad from home.

The only potential issue I see that the driver may forget to take their phone with them when they leave the car, and this is where the iWatch will come in handy to remind you to take the phone when it loses Bluetooth LE connectivity.  I think CarPlay is just the beginning of something much bigger.

you must not be married. she runs everything from the passenger seat.

sure, iWatch will be another Apple ecosystem extender device. that's what this is all about.

• Reply 43 of 93
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    3) I'd like to assume this "partnership" doesn't exclude OAA but since we're talking about a partnership to QNX and not to a specific automaker I think it's more likely Apple would be able to get exclusivity for a couple years.

While Google is listed as a QNX partner some of those automakers in the OAA are not. Perhaps that's the reason for that alliance, they don't already use QNX and need an alternative. You may be on to something.
  • Reply 44 of 93
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »

His point still stands since that came about after Apple announced the CarPlay nee iOS in the Car.
  • Reply 45 of 93
    sudonymsudonym Posts: 233member
    This makes perfect sense. Apple owners are usually Ferrari driver type people. Of all the car companies out there, Apple is most like Ferrari.
  • Reply 46 of 93
    ibogibog Posts: 5member
    Ferrari as an iPhone accessory! Can we get them in matching colours?

Seriously though... the interface still needs work. Doesn't seem like a minimalist interface in most Apple products. I'm surprised this may be legal because it may take eyes off the road for too long.

What about gestures? This is a step backwards to click on a scroll bar to go up and down.
  • Reply 47 of 93
    His point still stands since that came about after Apple announced the CarPlay nee iOS in the Car.
    That would assume Google hadn't been working on Android integration at the same time as Apple, perhaps even planning to backbone on QNX like they have and may still for some automakers.

And Apple announced their automotive initiative after Google's own automotive OS development became public. ;)
  • Reply 48 of 93
    I'd love to see Waze as an included app. Wave is crowd sourced traffic info app.
  • Reply 49 of 93
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by iBog View Post

Ferrari as an iPhone accessory! Can we get them in matching colours?

Product (red) Ferrari? That’d work.

• Reply 50 of 93

That would assume Google hadn't been working on Android integration at the same time as Apple, perhaps even planning to backbone on QNX like they have and may still for some automakers.

And Apple announced their automotive initiative after Google's own automotive OS development became public. ;)

1) Apple announced iOS in the Car close to a year ago at WWDC on June 10th, 2013.

2) His point still stands. He didn't state that Google would start working on their own implementation but that they'd announce it after Apple. Do you have any evidence to show Google announced the OAA before June 10th, 2013?

3) While it's unusual for Apple to announce a project so far in advance (even though they do have a history of doing so when the project requires multiple 3rd-parties to come on board), Google et al. have the corporation version of Tourette's syndrome announcing something pretty much immediately without any sort of filter.
  • Reply 51 of 93
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

4) Are all of these screens the same aspect ratio? 4:3? If not how many different UIs is Apple making? Does their CarPlay system require a certain aspect ratio? What about resolution or sizes? There is surely some leeway in size for a given UI but resolution could easily change wildly between manufactures. Is Apple using Resolution Independence here? It's plugged in so power isn't an issue.

It doesn't matter what the aspect ratio is, since iOS 6 and the use of Apple's new layout system, the screen size shouldn't matter if you design and develop your apps properly. The only time you really want to make big changes to your layout is when there's a substantial increase in screen size, such as your app moving from iPhone to iPad. But that's already taken care of with storyboards.

• Reply 52 of 93
    1) Apple announced iOS in the Car close to a year ago at WWDC on June 10th, 2013.

2) His point still stands. He didn't state that Google would start working on their own implementation but that they'd announce it after Apple. Do you have any evidence to show Google announced the OAA before June 10th, 2013?
    Yeah I remember when it was announced. Seems I recall a couple of commenters at the time saying it was Apple's answer to Google's automotive interest, that it would be the next great battleground or something to that effect. But then of course there was an iPod dock in cars before Google started working on a car, so Apple was first again. You win.

Something that I began thinking about yesterday tho that I'd love your comment on. How does the automotive money flow back to Apple and Google from this? Apple's not selling any hardware to CarPlay and I doubt it will drive a significant share of new iPhone sales because you can use it in your car.. Putting Google-placed ads ion the dashboard won't be well-received and probably wouldn't be permitted anyway as it would add to driver distraction. So where's the money?
  • Reply 53 of 93
    Yeah I remember when it was announced. Seems I recall a coup[le of commenters at the time saying it was Apple's answer to Google's automotive interest.

What automative interest is that? I'm under the impression that the OAA is their first attempt at this market.

You win.
    Cool it!
  • Reply 54 of 93
    What automative interest is that? I'm under the impression that the OAA is their first attempt at this market.
    Cool it!

Self-navigating cars. And sorry if you mistook the "you win" for being dismissive. It was simply a joking way of telling you it didn't really matter, to me at least, who was perceived as first in the car. I'm claiming shotgun anyway. ;)

My original answer to OP was quite appropriate since he obviously was unaware that Google had already announced their intentions months ago.
  • Reply 55 of 93
    Self-navigating cars. And sorry if you mistook the "you win" for being dismissive. It was simply a joking way of telling you it didn't really matter, to me at least, who was perceived as first in the car. I'm claiming shotgun anyway. ;)

1) That's a very different project which is why I didn't consider it. It's a cool project that shows a lot of promise and Google seems to have made a lot of advancements in that area but it's still appears to be a long way off.

2) When self driving cars finally arrive the entire front seat will be shotgun. In fact, by then electric cars will probably be pervasive enough that most cars will no longer have that drive shaft down the center which means most front seats could support 3 comfy seats; perhaps even reviving the single front seat design from the 70's and earlier.
  • Reply 56 of 93
    1) That's a very different project which is why I didn't consider it. It's a cool project that shows a lot of promise and Google seems to have made a lot of advancements in that area but it's still appears to be a long way off.

2) When self driving cars finally arrive the entire front seat will be shotgun. In fact, by then electric cars will probably be pervasive enough that most cars will no longer have that drive shaft down the center which means most front seats could support 3 comfy seats; perhaps even reviving the single front seat design from the 70's and earlier.

That reminds me of one of my first jobs (aviation). I was friends with two other guys at work but only one of us could afford a decent looking car so we figured we'd all ride together and save wear and tear on the other two pitiful vehicles. So we chipped in for gas in a pretty new Ranchero. One bench seat in the front. The guy always picked me up first then Don. My 120lb scrawny butt ended up as the middle filling between two 200+ pounders.

By fall I had a better car, and I rode alone. :smokey:
  • Reply 57 of 93
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    The UI looks fine in its first iteration. I absolutely hate the aesthetics of the Ferrari touch screen & buttons. The unit just screams rushed & cheap and that's a shame for such a beautiful car and media interface. Nonetheless kudos to Ferrari & Apple for this collaboration!
  • Reply 58 of 93
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post

Actually I've read that CarPlay runs on (is powered by) QNX.

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/apple-carplay-powered-by-blackberry-qnx-04-03-2014/

Before people start to get confused by what this actually means, CarPlay actually runs on your iPhone, it is a built-in system service, just as AirPlay is. Everything that happens on that built-in display is running on the iPhone. The iPhone is just using the cars display instead of its built-in display. CarPlay, like AirPlay is simply a communication protocol that defines how two devices can talk to each other to create a service.

That part of CarPlay that runs on the car's console is basically a driver (middleware) that allows the iPhone to interact with all the hardware on the car's console, this includes, the main display, speakers, microphones, methods of user interaction (touch screen, console knobs/buttons), etc. The car becomes an iPhone peripheral.

?Apparently, Apple has decided to start with QNX based-systems first. Although I'm sure if Android becomes ubiquitous, they'll also develop a version for Android.

• Reply 59 of 93
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

believe it when i see it.

Actually, Volvo already had a system based on Android, but it sucked and no one bought it. 

It's an Android layer that seats on top of QNX.

It was like a $2000 option on a Volvo and was very limited and clunky.

It is not integrated with a phone at all, it stands alone. 

I think Google will try to improve this but it will still suck.

Here is a demo of the system.

• Reply 60 of 93
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

my point is, CarPlay will likely run on top of any kind of underlying generic OS with the necessary adaptations for it. QNX, Linux, whatever. the carmarker will determine what Nav system OS they want to use. i suppose there are various ones in use now.

You're correct and why trying to compare Android against iOS in the car is silly and stupid. Apple doesn't want iOS running in your car's console, all they want is integration. Let the car maker have whatever they want built-in, but let the customer have an option to use their iPod or iPhone if they want. It probably doesn't take much for Apple to add this integration, especially if they concentrate on a single embedded OS at first.

I'm guessing the reason most automakers have decided to with QNX is because it's a tried, true and tested embedded OS.