This is dedicated to Murbot

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Yeah, I was thinking of something like that. What do you guys think of this deal:

533 MHz G4

40 GB HD

256 MB RAM

CD-RW

32MB NVidia Video

$1300.

Sound like a good deal? A revision or so out of the loop, but still a very capable machine...

I do have an old 17" display I can wake from hybernation for a couple of months.
  • Reply 42 of 80
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Sounds like a pretty good deal.
  • Reply 43 of 80
    Sounds to me like the kind of deal I was talking about. Buy a computer for $1300 and sell it a few months later for $1200, and you've basically "rented" a computer for ~ $1 a day.
  • Reply 44 of 80
    Mur, if you decide not to get that G4 533, I could lend you my old LC 520. Its really nice.

It has not 4, not 8, but 12 MB RAM (24 with RAM doubler!!!) 160 MB Hard Drive, 2x CD-ROM, 14" 640x480 display with 768 K VRAM (enough for thousands of colours!!!). And last but not least, a keyboard and mouse.

That way you wouldn't have to go without a Mac for a month or two.

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: MacsKickAss ]</p>
  • Reply 45 of 80
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsKickAss:

<strong>Mur, if you decide not to get that G4 533, I could lend you my old LC 520. Its really nice.

It has not 4, not 8, but 12 MB RAM (24 with RAM doubler!!!) 160 MB Hard Drive, 2x CD-ROM, 14" 640x480 display with 768 K VRAM (enough for thousands of colours!!!). And last but not least, a keyboard and mouse.

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: MacsKickAss ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd take that over a G4 533 any day
  • Reply 46 of 80
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsKickAss:

<strong>Mur, if you decide not to get that G4 533, I could lend you my old LC 520. Its really nice.

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: MacsKickAss ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

How much is that? two bucks?

If you pay the shipping I will take it

...just kidding...
  • Reply 47 of 80
    lol
  • Reply 48 of 80
    I've decided to grab an iBook. I'm banking on it being left untouched at MWSF, after which I will sell it and grab a desktop. Depending on what is introduced, either an iMac of PowerMac G4/5.

You think I'm right in thinking the iBook won't get touched in SF?
  • Reply 49 of 80
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    I really doubt it would be updated AGAIN at MWSF.

I have a Mac Classic, Mac Classic II, LC II, LC III, 6100, Power Computing 240, and a Beige G3. You could buy one of those from me if you ever wanted.

Though, the Power Computing is dead, dead, dead, and the G3 half works at the moment. I think the iBook is a good choice. It's my main computer. At the moment. I'm considering trying out your computer buying plan for a while.
  • Reply 50 of 80
    I think the iBook's a good choice. I can't see it being updated at MWSF and as you already know, it's a great computer.
  • Reply 51 of 80
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Yeah get an iBook again....

I don't expect there would be any changes to iBook until April

But there is still a chance that PowerBook may have a speed bump in MWT
  • Reply 52 of 80
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>But there is still a chance that PowerBook may have a speed bump in MWT</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why would the PowerBook get updated then but not the iBook?
  • Reply 53 of 80
    Hey, I wonder if you'll get the iBook, sell it, and buy something else before MacWorld!

I think this is a tough call. With just over a month, I don't see you going through 2 more computers, but knowing you, I've learned to never be surprised.

Oh yeah, very smart decision for getting an iBook.

There'll be some pretty sweet desktop machines next month, new iMacs and G4/5s. I'm sure you'll own some of those in the next few months.

Does your wife think you're kinda weird for having so many Macs in such a short time?
  • Reply 54 of 80
    murbot, after MWSF when you're ready to sell the iBook could you just send it to me? I'd be willing to send you my iBook if you'd like.
  • Reply 55 of 80
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    murbot, you seem alot like me. In the last year I've had:

Yikes! G4 400

PM 8500/400

B&W G3 450

iBook 466

Yikes! G4 350

iMac 500

current machine: Yikes! G4 400 (again)

Total profit: $650

I love ebay
  • Reply 56 of 80
    [quote]Originally posted by G4Dude:

<strong>murbot, you seem alot like me. In the last year I've had:

Yikes! G4 400

PM 8500/400

B&W G3 450

iBook 466

Yikes! G4 350

iMac 500

I love ebay </strong><hr></blockquote>

Wow, I didn't think anyone else was like murbot.
  • Reply 57 of 80
    Hey, right on G4Dude! I'm not the only freak in the pack.

What the hell, it's a hobby. As long as I'm not losing any money, and getting to try out all these machines, why not. I've had the chance to own some kick-ass machines and it hasn't cost me anything.

I think the iBook will work out nicely. Just waiting the a lady's money order to get here, seems to be a huuuge delay in the mail. When I get that, and ship off the PowerBook, I'm grabbing an iBook. I'll probably get an iPod with it too.

I'll unload it after MWSF when I order my desktop, either G4/5 or iMac. We'll see what Steve delivers, and I'll make a decision then.

I think I'll start to slow down the switching next year though, it looks like I'll actually have some work to do on it for once. Putting up a website for our business, so I won't want to be switching machines, etc, throughout that.

Maybe I'll be able to swing keeping the iBook, and I'll keep desktop switching... who knows!

Like usual though, I'm getting sad about sending this PowerBook away. *sigh* It was such a nice machine...

Oh, and Leonis, I am selling the one thing that has remainded constant throughout all my switching. I sold the SoundSticks!!

Damn, I paid $259 CDN for them, and I just sold them for $234.50. That's after owning them for almost a freakin year! A $24.50 loss after a year - that's like $15 US. Man, you really do have to stand in awe of eBay sometimes. Couldn't say no to that! Might get another kind of speaker next... heh heh
  • Reply 58 of 80
    [quote]Originally posted by G4Dude:

<strong>murbot, you seem alot like me. In the last year I've had:

Yikes! G4 400

PM 8500/400

B&W G3 450

iBook 466

Yikes! G4 350

iMac 500

I love ebay </strong><hr></blockquote>

OKay, how the hell do you make that much on eBay? Does that include all the fees you pay to them? Are people paying the new price for used stuff?
  • Reply 59 of 80
    [quote]Damn, I paid $259 CDN for them, and I just sold them for $234.50. That's after owning them for almost a freakin year! A $24.50 loss after a year - that's like $15 US. Man, you really do have to stand in awe of eBay sometimes. Couldn't say no to that! Might get another kind of speaker next... heh heh<hr></blockquote>

I think for that money you should get something better than the Sound Sticks (the only problem is they won't look half as good).
  • Reply 60 of 80
    Monkey, he's not making that much. Trust me.

People just love to pay.

[edit]:

Just read that post again, and don't want it to sound like I was saying he didn't actually make that much.

I meant that he wasn't making thaaaaat much. I've made more than that.

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>