Amazon fireTV launch 'aggressively' highlights need for Apple TV revamp, Piper Jaffray says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

I don't know about Munster, but I can play any game in the app store on my Apple TV

That is my biggest beef with the amazon comparison chart. They list Games as NONE. They should list it as NATIVE games. Additionally, said comparison chart lists HBOgo as the only no for FireTV. I assume that is coming. Interestingly enough (/s) they don't mention iTunes content....

• Reply 22 of 58
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    Yawn. These damn analyst. So full of gloom and doom for Apple.
  • Reply 23 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

But I don't think a Eddy Cue & Co. have been sitting there twiddling their thumbs...

No, I'm sure he's busy working on Ferrari issues. :p

Missed opportunity.  Best they can do is follow AMZN now.

• Reply 24 of 58
    wisdomseedwisdomseed Posts: 141member
    Content is really king. Even though there are over a thousand channels on Roku, most people use it for Netflix, Hulu Plus, and music (which that interface sucks). Even if Apple can't get live broadcast, it would be a giant step forward for them to get internet rebroadcast on Apple TV, and without having to pay cable for it. If/when that happens, the cable station will have to come along. Why pay $100 a month for cable when I can purchase subscriptions to the TV shows I want to see and ignore the other 700 channels they say they provide.

Until they have more content, which the best way to get content is to allow revenue sharing from ads, which gets you in the door, that is going to be hard to convince providers to cooperate. And with that pile of dough Apple has, they could use the same incentives that Amazon and Netflix do, which is to purchase the shows and create their own channel.

In the mean time, the cards have not been played nor the hands been dealt. We will see.
  • Reply 25 of 58

Gene Munster historically has been one of the most clueless analysts going, with few (if any) accurate insights about Apple's direction.  Apple obviously has known about Amazon Prime Video, Amazon's history of Kindle Fire devices and the age of the current Apple TV.  Apple has most certainly been working for some time on something to update/replace the Apple TV, and I doubt they are very surprised about the introduction of the Amazon Fire TV.  Although the Apple TV is beyond Apple's typical product refresh time, a new version could potentially require coordination with a number of partners (e.g., content owners, content distributors--like Comcast, and developers) and Apple will only release it once the necessary arrangements are in place.  The introduction of the Amazon Fire TV is nothing more than an interesting event, while Apple pursues their long-term plan for TV-related products.

• Reply 26 of 58
    Nice job by Amazon raising the bar on streaming set tops.

Need to retire my old, slow Apple TV to upstairs duty & get a new, better, faster Apple TV, hopefully coming soon, would hate to have to defect to Amazon.
  • Reply 27 of 58
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Unless Apple announces they will produce and release their own original content- they will have lost. 

• Reply 28 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

As for a full-fledged Apple television, rumors around such a product have quieted down as speculation has generally suggested it's a market the company would not be interested.

And a recent report <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/03/16/steve-jobs-believed-hdtvs-were-a-terrible-business-saw-apple-tv-set-as-unlikely-new-book-reveals">attributing comments</a> to late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs calling the HDTV market a "terrible business," industry watchers have generally cooled off on the prospect of an Apple television set.

Yukari Iwatani Kane's Haunted Empire is where that info came from. Not so much a report as much as a book of lies.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    woochifer wrote: »
    Content is king. The intuitiveness of the interface and the feature list length doesn't amount to squat without something to play. The whole reason why 90% of U.S. households put up with cable/satellite set-top boxes is because it plays what they actually want to view.

And we have a winner. Oh and btw there are other countries out there beside the US. Just sayin'.

I still maintain the one thing holding back Apple from releasing the TV Jony has in his lab is the lack of a 2-year all-you-can-eat content/contract deal Apple has been unable to cut with the powers that be. If Apple had a deal in place where people could sign a contract with them and buy a TV from them for a subsidised price for around $499 to $999 depending on the model I'd bet they'd move millions of these things. And they continue to sell the standalone Apple TV box for those who are happy with their current TV or are not ready to upgrade yet. But rest assured if Apple was selling that amazing piece of TV engineering alongside that box when folks are due an upgrade that Apple display would be awfully tempting. Not to mention that one friend who gets one and every guest to their house gets the demo treatment. That alone would start to move these things. The first smart TV worth buying? Likely.

ALL CONTENT DEPENDANT.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Here is what I'd personally love to see in Apple TV or an iTV:

Siri

Games (not just projecting your screen of your iDevice onto your TV)

Live TV

More content such as live TV

iChat and video Skype etc

Home integration

Here is what I personally don't want to see in Apple TV:

Another 2 years without a serious update

• Reply 31 of 58
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    It's not a secret that the Apple TV is ripe for a significant refresh in order to support 4K movies and an App Store with productivity, lifestyle, and game apps. To do that, Apple may be expected to make numerous incremental updates to hardware components:

A5 -> A6 or A7 CPU
    512MB -> 1GB of DRAM
    8GB -> 16GB or 32GB of flash storage
    100Mbit -> 1Gbit Ethernet
    802.11n -> 802.11ac Wifi
    HDMI 1.2 -> HDMI 1.4
  • Reply 32 of 58
    Am I the only one that finds it odd that a brand new device aimed at streaming video doesn't include 802.11ac... I won't buy anything that doesn't have it.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    yeah, Apple could have delivered more incremental improvements while they finish the big bang that must be coming.

Why can't I use the Siri on my phone to control my tv?
  • Reply 34 of 58
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    timborama wrote: »
    No, I'm sure he's busy working on Ferrari issues. :p

Missed opportunity.  Best they can do is follow AMZN now.
    Huh? How exactly would they be following Amazon considering they've had a STB for years?
  • Reply 35 of 58
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Unless Apple announces they will produce and release their own original content- they will have lost. 
    Well then I guess they've lost as that will never happen.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    wisdomseed wrote: »
    Content is really king. Even though there are over a thousand channels on Roku, most people use it for Netflix, Hulu Plus, and music (which that interface sucks). Even if Apple can't get live broadcast, it would be a giant step forward for them to get internet rebroadcast on Apple TV, and without having to pay cable for it. If/when that happens, the cable station will have to come along. Why pay $100 a month for cable when I can purchase subscriptions to the TV shows I want to see and ignore the other 700 channels they say they provide.

Until they have more content, which the best way to get content is to allow revenue sharing from ads, which gets you in the door, that is going to be hard to convince providers to cooperate. And with that pile of dough Apple has, they could use the same incentives that Amazon and Netflix do, which is to purchase the shows and create their own channel.

In the mean time, the cards have not been played nor the hands been dealt. We will see.
    I still think we haven't seen an update from Apple because they've been working on a big content play. This Amazon STB is fine but not really a game changer. XBox and play station are better for games (and have streaming media options) and Apple TV and Roku have basically all the content Amazon does, if not more.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Apple isn't doomed, and certainly not because Amazon released 'fireTV'  Too many players in TV, and all users really want is the content- they just want the 'interface' to get out of the way.

TV isn't going to be the 'next big thing' for anyone- Google, Apple, nor Amazon.  They can all make a decent buck at it, but not on the scale of iPhone profits.  iTV will do very well, especially with people already in the Apple ecosystem.  The rest will avoid it.

The only way one of them could make big bucks at it isn't with the interface, it's if they could coral all the prime content to exclusivity and not allow competitors to offer the same content at a lower price, or come up with a scheme to get preferred delivery from the cable companies which denies competitors the same.  Not likely to happen in TV.

• Reply 38 of 58
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Apple TV definitely needs some improvements just to make it easier to use. i've been using two for several years.

first the Remote app still inexplicably requires old style clumsy swipe navigation to control the ATV home screen and all the other menus. i have no idea why. all the icons and lists on ATV could easily be on screen buttons and pull downs in the Remote app too. that should have been fixed years ago.

second, an HDMI pass thru with auto input selection would greatly simplify home wiring and operation. i have to use an HDMI switch now in one case, and fuss with TV input selection on the other. both are a daily pain.

as to gaming via AirPlay, the problem for action games is the split second AirPlay latency between your iPad and ATV. that can only be solved by loading apps on the ATV itself.

other bells and whistles, like Siri control, might be useful sometimes but don't really matter that much i think.

so yes it is time for a good ATV update. Apple can't stand pat on UI improvements. 

• Reply 39 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

second, an HDMI pass thru with auto input selection would greatly simplify home wiring and operation. i have to use an HDMI switch now in one case, and fuss with TV input selection on the other. both are a daily pain.

Never happening. Apple TV is supposed to be the end of the TV’s line, not the middle of it.

• Reply 40 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not really.

Whoop de do. Adding channels is the “regular update” for the Apple TV. The big thing we’re after is a la carte Channel channels with no need for cable/satellite. Just about everything else can stay the same.

Not Really? Guess I'm not allowed to have an opinion. Thought this was an opinion forum, my opinion has been stated.

So, according to your reasoning the MacBook Pro, iMac, iPad and iPhone are not due any regular hardware updates as long as Apple adds a few new default apps or new version of iWork or simply offer OS upgrades. Updating the hardware every year or two is a waste of time, it's 2014 and the 2010 iPhone 4 should be all that Apple offers. Just put some new apps, updated browser and a new OS on it, and that's good enough. Who needs an iP4S, 5, 5s and eventual 6? "Everything else can stay the same" (as the 4). Hope you still have the 4 to support your own reasoning.