Consumer interest in Apple's 'iPhone 6' at record levels, as new sketches show rumored big-screen de

Comments

• Reply 21 of 127
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    OK so we have this survey, the big dump from Kuo, Deutsche Bank initiating coverage on AAPL today with a buy rating and the stock is down this morning. Can someone explain that?
  • Reply 22 of 127
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Uhm, no. Although it got smaller (from 61 to 58.6mm) it did grow in height; from 115mm to 123.8mm. Sounds like a non-issue, but the phone now sometimes gets stuck in my pants because the pocket is wider than the opening itself and I need to turn it 90 degrees first.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP2
    http://support.apple.com/kb/SP685

I said overall and was speaking of the 4 vs the 5. Remember it also got more shallow. ~62k cubic mm for the 4, and only 55k cubic for the 5. The 3GS to 5 was even a starker contrast in overall size decrease.

So again- apple could easily release a 4.3" with the same or negligible height/width dimensions as the iPhone 5. And if that occurred- who would complain? "I want a smaller screen but same dimensions!" That'd be a weird request.
  • Reply 23 of 127
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Marvin wrote: »
    A few of them have to balance it at the tips of their fingers and reposition it to access the whole screen. Especially with touch id, you'd want to pull the phone out with one hand, unlock and then make a call with one hand. 4.3" edge to edge makes more sense to me. There's clearly a demand for larger screens so that's not in question but we have to figure out what Apple would be more likely to do.

That repositioning is going to lead to a increase in drops, especially with a metal back with sharp edges. I'm definitely very curious to see Apple's take on a bigger phone whenever it happens.

Btw where's @pedromartins when we need him? He'd be elated with the results of this survey.
  • Reply 24 of 127
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    gtr wrote: »
    iPhone 6:

Now with anti-grav dock.

Amazing what can be done with magnets.
  • Reply 25 of 127
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member

Nice design, hélas, Apple can't use it because it would be infringement. 

• Reply 26 of 127
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So you think Apple is going to release a watch for thousands of dollars? image

That could fall within the 10%, you know...

Or, it could be just as accurate. If you're at all familiar with the wrist watch industry, you'd know that the high end models are astronomically expensive.

I wouldn't put it past Apple to create a version of the iWatch that is solid gold, maybe even 24k. That could easily make the same product thousands of dollars more than a plastic or leather-banded base model.

As long as I can get the leather banded model for a reasonable price, it doesn't affect me if Apple makes a 2 or 3 thousand dollar gold or platinum model(s).

• Reply 27 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Frankly, I don't know anyone that likes the 4" screen, including my 63 year old mother. Remember, the 3.5" - 4" screen was a Steve Jobs thing. You have to be able to use the phone with one hand, and even then it was aggravating touching the wrong thing with my thumb half the time.

Whenever I hear the argument that says the iPhone 5S is the best selling phone on the planet so, yes, people love the 4" size...

... well... hogwash, in my opinion.

What I think the majority of iPhone buyers like is the ecosystem/iOS. If you're not given the choice of a larger phone then, of course, you're going to buy what is offered. (the same "might" even be said for iOS 7)

Hopefully that theory will be tested later this year.

• Reply 28 of 127
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

So the iPhone will go from the best-selling smartphone . . . to the best-selling smartphone. 

Makes sense. 

• Reply 29 of 127
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Consumer interest in Apple's 'iPhone' at record levels

Consumer interest in Apple's 'iPhone 3G' at record levels

Consumer interest in Apple's 'iPhone 4' at record levels

Consumer interest in Apple's 'iPhone 5' at record levels

Consumer interest in Apple's 'iPhone 6' at record levels

Not really news at this point. EVERY iPhone has commanded the lion's share of "consumer interest" since day 1, big screen or not, feature "x" or not, feature "y" or not. 

• Reply 30 of 127
    I can't wait to get my hands on an iPhone with a larger screen! I'll sell the house, I'll sell the farm...Buckle up!!!
  • Reply 31 of 127
    philboogie wrote: »
    That's all good and well, but where are the rumours that they will continue to make a 4" iPhone?
    Personally, I'd like to see the 4" dropped, and the 3.5" size brought back. 3.5", 4.7", and phablet seem to me like three sizes that would offer something for everyone.
  • Reply 32 of 127
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I wouldn't put it past Apple to create a version of the iWatch that is solid gold, maybe even 24k. That could easily make the same product thousands of dollars more than a plastic or leather-banded base model.

As long as I can get the leather banded model for a reasonable price, it doesn't affect me if Apple makes a 2 or 3 thousand dollar gold or platinum model(s).

Gold watches are a lot more than 2 or 3 thousand dollars. A lot more. Like maybe ten or twenty times more.

And nobody makes 24K gold watches. The pure metal is too soft and prone to cosmetic damage which is why it is alloyed down to 18K or 14K for strength, durability, and cost.

Luxury watches typically start in the $3-5K range for more common stainless steel models. The watchband material is a fairly nominal upgrade.

Going from a metal band to a leather band isn't going to save you thousands and thousands of dollars; that's not the thinking of someone who buys a luxury watch anyhow. You buy the one with the leather band because you like how it looks. In the long run (i.e., if you own the watch 30+ years and wear it regularly), you might actually spend more on replacement leather bands than if you had purchased a similar model with a metal band.

• Reply 33 of 127
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    pmz wrote: »
    There is no avoiding it now. This is what happens. AI is not the only site lending huge weight to Ming's reports. He is dead on balls accurate 90% of the time, and I would take his comments as about 90% accurate to what we'll see, but subject to change.

You have proof of that or are you just pulling numbers out of Ming's ass?
    quadra 610 wrote: »

Not really news at this point. EVERY iPhone has commanded the lion's share of "consumer interest" since day 1, big screen or not, feature "x" or not, feature "y" or not. 

Ain't that the truth.
  • Reply 34 of 127
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    <h1 style="margin-bottom:15px;margin-top:0px;">Consumer interest in Apple's 'iPhone' at record levels</h1>

<h1 style="margin-bottom:15px;margin-top:0px;">Consumer interest in Apple's 'iPhone 3G' at record levels</h1>

<h1 style="margin-bottom:15px;margin-top:0px;">Consumer interest in Apple's 'iPhone 4' at record levels</h1>

<h1 style="margin-bottom:15px;margin-top:0px;">Consumer interest in Apple's 'iPhone 5' at record levels</h1>

<h1 style="margin-bottom:15px;margin-top:0px;">Consumer interest in Apple's 'iPhone 6' at record levels</h1>

Extrapolating from this data, consumer interest in the iPhone 11 should exceed 100%. Maybe Apple should skip 6 through 10. :lol:
  • Reply 35 of 127
    my 5s just died last night from the 'blue screen of death'. wish they will lunch this new one now
  • Reply 36 of 127
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I would expect Apple to stick with their 'one-hand operation' wish, so they should continue with an iPhone with a 4" screen, or at least a FF of the same size, in an optional expanded iPhone line-up.

There are ways around size and one handed operation.

There needs to be a bigger phone, and a normal phone. The market has long shifted to bigger screens, and the iPhone needs to keep up. It's just reality.

• Reply 37 of 127
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    mvigod wrote: »
    Based on apple's lawsuit notes where they knew large screens were chewing up market share I'd say their line about "using with one hand" was just PR damage control. Cook failed to produce a large screen phone when he should have in 2012 or at least '13. By making one now they concede it was the right thing to do but simply did not execute in time. They paid the price and lost many to Samsung as a result and their stock took a big hit and is now epoxied in the low 500's.

That would be the uninformed interpretation. The reality is that Apple was using up 70% of the world's output of LTPS display manufacturing capacity throughout 2013, and only now has developed sufficient supply to release new screen sizes and densities using LTPS.

You're not the only one who is ignoring or is ignorant of this simple scenario. I've been posting it it repeatedly for many months now, but apparently it's too much of a reality sandwich for most people to bite into.
  • Reply 38 of 127
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

That's the first good looking mockup I've seen- that other picture of a rescaled 5 that AI keeps using needs to be burned.

I like the all black one, but these mockups do highlight that a new version of iOS is needed.  The 'grid of icons' interface is just dated and doesn't take advantage of the large screen.  They need to add widgets or something that allows users to actually get a decent amount of information just by looking at their phone without tapping into 4 or 5 different apps individually.

• Reply 39 of 127
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rogifan wrote: »
    BUT I thought iOS sucked ba . . .

The new Ms. Rogifan exercises his/her bad taste and reveals the disgusting etymology of the word "sucks."

The new Rogifan has become a useless distraction-troll. What happened to the old harmless, annoying worry-wart Rogifan?
  • Reply 40 of 127
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Frankly, I don't know anyone that likes the 4" screen, including my 63 year old mother. Remember, the 3.5" - 4" screen was a Steve Jobs thing. You have to be able to use the phone with one hand, and even then it was aggravating touching the wrong thing with my thumb half the time.

What an incredibly idiotic post. At so many different levels..... yikes. :rolleyes: