Apple to partner with Shazam for song recognition in iOS 8, report says

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    I sent Apple an email about this 2 months ago and posted this a couple of days ago to Apple forums to integrate this into Siri https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6089109
    YES!!!
  • Reply 42 of 86
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I read somewhere about a therapist who helps introverted people. At one step late in the process she challenges them
    to break out into song in the grocery store checkout line. Maybe I can find her contact info for you.

Lol. Keyboard warrior. Why do I feel you look a bit like comic book guy from the Simpsons. I didn't say I was shy. I said I didn't want to feel like a prat. I said it would be noisy ( and Siri is crap with non American accents ) that's true of me and everybody else in the UK, Ireland or Europe I have visited as not once have I seen any idiot talk to Siri in public.
  • Reply 43 of 86
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gigatel View Post

Oh god are you kidding? 

I love Apple stuff as much as the next guy but

Isn't this one of Tallest's precursors for being a troll?

Dude, if you think you can unlock your phone, find the app, start it and begin the app listening quicker than you can hold the home button down and say "what song is playing", you do it that way. However, as most of the time you want to know what a song is, you are driving. So operating an iphone/ipad is safer and quicker to use Siri.

I'm actually glad to hear this rumour as I sent exactly this idea to Tim's Apple email in January 2012 saying it'd be good for follow on sales as the song could be offered on iTunes in the search result. Having it all baked in will make it faster.

• Reply 44 of 86
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    evilution wrote: »
    I sent exactly this idea to Tim's Apple email in January 2012 saying it'd be good for follow on sales as the song could be offered on iTunes in the search result.

You weren't the only one then!
  • Reply 45 of 86
    I read somewhere about a therapist who helps introverted people. At one step late in the process she challenges them to break out into song in the grocery store checkout line. Maybe I can find her contact info for you.

Funny! It would be hilarious if you had to sing your questions to Siri. Maybe if everyone was forced to, there would be less need for AutoTune.
  • Reply 46 of 86
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    I'd believe Apple was buying Shazam before I believe they are giving it some kind of special access. Despite claims of panic over lost sales. If Apple really wants to improve subscriptions etc this is not the way to do it. Better searching, playlists etc are the way. Imagine a system that is more Lala/ genius like where you could upload a whole playlist and the aggregate data about the songs could be used to create a genius radio station with a history list so you don't have to jump to wishlist songs etc. Things like that are more useful, particularly to getting subscribers as they could make it a function of paid accounts only. $25 a month for no ads etc isn't that shabby really. If they do something like three for free, unlimited with paid that could sell it.

There's actually a lot from Lala they dropped that they shouldn't have.
  • Reply 47 of 86
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    charlituna wrote: »
    I'd belie Apple was buying Shazam before I believe they are giving it some kind of special access.

Siri was filled with using other services in their backend from day one.
  • Reply 48 of 86
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,810member

Instead of incorporating Shazam into Siri, I would prefer them to add it to the swipe up settings panel. In fact I would love to have some options to add or change the default options there. I have never used the portrait lock button even once so would happily replace that with something else I would use if given the option. For example replace portrait lock with a Shazam icon that I often use. I also have never used the camera icon there since I have the camera app on my home screen and open it from there or simply tell Siri "take a picture". When I use Shazam there is often loud noise from the music so I doubt speech recognition would work well unless I have control of the volume which is not always the case. Imagine trying to use Siri at a club for example. 

I understand Apple's reluctance on offering widgets or too much customization but I think allowing a small degree of customization in the control center with iOS 8 would be a very welcome addition by most users and also a compromise. The Control Center could become a lot more useful and powerful than the current version. 

• Reply 49 of 86
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member

It's a feature that I really like on Google Now, it would be a nice addition to Siri.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

When I use Shazam there is often loud noise from the music so I doubt speech recognition would work well unless I have control of the volume which is not always the case. Imagine trying to use Siri at a club for example. 

It could work by automatic music detection. That's also how it works on Google Now, press the microphone and it automatically detects music and starts analyzing. So in Siri's case activate Siri with the home button and Siri would automatically detect the music and start analyzing. It would be a nice addition to Siri.

• Reply 50 of 86

shazam can also be set to scan the "soundscape" around you for music and cache it so that it doesn't matter how long it takes you to open the app. It will eat up the battery i'm sure, but it's not a problem they aren't working on.

• Reply 51 of 86
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I know Siri isn't specifically mentioned (which I think is odd) but it would be nice to say, "What song is playing?" and have Siri listen for a few seconds and pop back with an answer. Not often but every now and then I fail to get the app launched and working before a song ends.

PS: Shazam seems much, much faster than it used to be.

Anandtech article is talking about music recognition integrated with personal assistant... so what you wish for could easily be right.
  • Reply 52 of 86
    I'd prefer they partner with Tesla for their battery technology.
  • Reply 53 of 86
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    chipsy wrote: »
    It's a feature that I really like on Google Now, it would be a nice addition to Siri.
    It could work by automatic music detection. That's also how it works on Google Now, press the microphone and it automatically detects music and starts analyzing. So in Siri's case activate Siri with the home button and Siri would automatically detect the music and start analyzing. It would be a nice addition to Siri.

Maybe a dedicated music recognition button on Siri screen?
  • Reply 54 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Things like that are more useful, particularly to getting subscribers as they could make it a function of paid accounts only. $25 a month for no ads etc isn't that shabby really.

$25 / month for commercial free music?! My SiriusXM comes less than $20/month for like 200 channels! 

• Reply 55 of 86
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    lawrance wrote: »
    $25 / month for commercial free music?! My SiriusXM comes less than $20/month for like 200 channels! 
    Commercial-free Google All-Access Music is only $10/mo. $25 is fairly high.
  • Reply 56 of 86
    lawrance wrote: »

Full disclosure: Only the music channels on SiriusXM are ad-free (which is what you clearly refer) but talk channels have ads, but they are a lot less than on terrestrial radio.
    gatorguy wrote: »

It's iTunes Radio the same as these other streaming services? It's only about $2.08/month.
  • Reply 57 of 86
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Full disclosure: Only the music channels on SiriusXM are ad-free (which is what you clearly refer) but talk channels have ads, but they are a lot less than on terrestrial radio.
    It's iTunes Radio the same as these other streaming services? It's only about $2.08/month.

Google's service is entirely different than iRadio. Besides genre stations you can choose to listen to any specific track or album Google Music offers, add anything in their catalog to your personal library at no additional charge, set-up your own custom playlists ( My fav is tracks I've given a "thumbs-up which are added automatically to a playlist), no skip limits, etc. . . . iRadio is quite limited in comparison.
    https://play.google.com/about/music/allaccess/#/

No doubt tho that lots of folks are happy with free streaming radio like iRadio and Pandora, something Google oddly doesn't offer.
  • Reply 58 of 86
    …add anything in their catalog to your personal library at no additional charge

I don't get why they would let you steal as much music as you want from that to add to your private collection without paying for it.
    ...set-up your own custom playlists

You can create as many stations as you want in iTunes Radio which I assume is the same as your playlist mention.
    ...iRadio[sic] is quite limited in comparison.

iTunes Match is available in 116 countries while Google Play Music is only available in 21.
    iTunes Match will allow users to upload 25k sounds while Google Play Music only 20k.
    iTunes Match is $25/year while Google Play Music is FREE.
    iTunes Match's iTunes Radio service is FREE while Google Play Music's All Access services is $120/year.

iTunes Match sounds a lot better to me.
  • Reply 59 of 86
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

$A35 a year for iTunes Match.
  • Reply 60 of 86
    You should look at the link I provided Soli. You don't really understand what Google AllAccess offers. Its more of a Spotify combined with Pandora with some added value.

iRadio lacks many of its features, as well it should as it doesn't cost as much. As for your "stealing" comment you pay $10/mo for the service. It may certainly be a steal but its not stealing.

Anyway I'm not promoting AllAccess. My original comment was prompted by charlituna feeling $25 a month was a fair price for an ad-free streaming service.