Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 6' may sport curved edges, display glass

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    bobschlob wrote: »
    I really hope this will not turn out to be true. It will be a huge step backwards; a case of form over function.
    There are so many Apps, built-in functionality, and general uses. that utilize the flat end, edges, and the flat back of the iPhone.
    It's also what really sets the iPhone apart, visually, from it's competitors.

No worries, The new built-in gyroscope will hold the iPhone in whatever position you place it. It's magical.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Blah, blah, blah...

Yada, yada, yada...

Waah, waaahn. wa, waan, waah, waah.(best I could do for peanuts teacher)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2hULhXf0
  • Reply 23 of 45
    It's gonna look like a bigger iPod 5 :)
  • Reply 24 of 45
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The original iPhone and the next generation of iPhone, as well as the iPad and most of the iPods have had curved edges.

Yes, but mentioning Samsung in an article doubles site engagement. ;)
  • Reply 25 of 45
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Yes, but mentioning Samsung in an article doubles site engagement. ;)

My apologies. The image below represents the proper (and my current) reaction intended by AI.

• Reply 26 of 45

• Reply 27 of 45
    emesemes Posts: 239member

I wonder if this means they'll change the design for the iPod Touch to keep diversity.

• Reply 28 of 45
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Keda View Post

The curved edges may be more than aesthetics. I remember reading an article about Apple's interest touch capable areas other than a phone's screen. Imagine if the rounded touch-capable areas could be used for input. Apps could do all sorts of things.

- sliders (volume, etc)

- control areas for games

- maybe even a "modifier key" for a normal touch

And these features would require a rounded edge rather than a flat edge because………?

• Reply 29 of 45
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

I really hope this will not turn out to be true. It will be a huge step backwards; a case of form over function.

There are so many Apps, built-in functionality, and general uses. that utilize the flat end, edges, and the flat back of the iPhone.

No worries, The new built-in gyroscope will hold the iPhone in whatever position you place it. It's magical.

Why that's preposterous!

Your just being silly.  I'm sure Apple will simply install a built-in kick-stand.

• Reply 30 of 45
    tyancytyancy Posts: 85member
    I really miss the feel of the 3S. It fit so comfortably in the pocket and it felt great in the hand. I wouldn't mind moving on to a curved design somewhere down the road.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Looks like the original iPhone 1. We've come full circle.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Click bait is usually the title. No way of telling that there's a SGS 3 reference until after you've clicked on it.

Do you really think that AI would get more clicks if the title read:

iPhone 6 Copies 3 Year Old Samsung Phone

I'm joking... of course.

• Reply 33 of 45
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    chandra69 wrote: »
    Now, iPHone looks like Samsung phones. But no one cares... because 
    1. It can be Apple's slap to Samsung 
    2. People think still iPhone is cool. 
    Apple did the curve with the first 4 iterations. Flat is best. They won't go back.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    lilgto64 wrote: »
    I like the square sides - that way I can set it on a level surface and it doesn't fall over.

... Maybe it'll have a kick stand... ?

Whoosh!...ducking the barrage of "green apple-insiders" throwing comments that don't understand my, nor the humor juxtaposed with "surface" in the original sentance...:smokey:
  • Reply 36 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    mike022465 wrote: »
    Curved glass?!

Relax, the title or article doesn't say curved glass. The article even mentions specifically that the top glass would not be convex, just the bare edge to meet the metal in a smooth manner. The glass would still be flat in that scenario, just slightly beveled at the very edge.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    bobschlob wrote: »
    <div class="quote-container" data-huddler-embed="/t/178794/rumor-apples-iphone-6-may-sport-curved-edges-display-glass#post_2521812" data-huddler-embed-placeholder="false"><p>And these features would require a rounded edge rather than a flat edge because………?</p>

Curved edges would allow for a single, continuous surface. Maybe the "control edges" would be operable after an activation step to avoid erroneous touches.

This wold be hard to do with perpendicular faces, because the phone would likely require separate pieces of glass, and not offer the surface continuity of a round edge face.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Yada, yada, yada...

Apple: But you can’t yada yada trials!

Samsung: *raises hand* I’ve yada yada’d trials!

• Reply 39 of 45
    And if the bottom looks like the top, I guess this would affect (negatively) the use of Cycloramic:

http://cycloramic.com/index_main.html#video
  • Reply 40 of 45
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Actually, it's function over form.

The iPhone 4 and 5 designs are a MUCH worse design than the original iPhone and 3g/3gs.

You see, it's a PHONE.  You do sometimes have to hold it in your hand and talk on it.  The 3 is comfortable, the 4 is not, and the 5 is even worse.

I'm using a 4 now because tethering is much faster over wifi than Bluetooth and it's got a faster processor.  But if it weren't for my Bluetooth headset, I'd have to switch back to the 3gs. 

I just hope Apple maintains a reasonable screen size option, those Samsung phones are ridiculously large.  And PLEASE don't make it thinner again, thicker with much longer battery life would be amazing - and easier to hold. 

Oh, and I know an easily and quickly swappable battery is probably too much to ask for, but please, Apple?  Back when I carried dumbphones, I always kept a couple spare batteries charging, and changed them out when I ran the battery down (which happens if you're on the phone for several hours a day, and I am some days).  Now instead of a spare battery, I have to have a spare iPhone, and do a SIM swap when the battery dies.  And if Apple comes out with a swappable battery now, it'll be regarded as a brilliant innovation.