Apple reportedly nearing $3.2B acquisition of Beats Electronics

Comments

• Reply 81 of 257
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I agree too. 

I would also love to see them purchase Square...pick them up damn it! Before Google does. Apple could use the Square technology. 

Square will be obsolete with Apple's wallet once that comes online.

• Reply 82 of 257
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wonder if it's their streaming music service that Apple wants?

Lord, I hope not. Apple is capable of making their own streaming service and this simply has to be a false rumor. This would be a very poor match in terms of brands. Beats is downmarket trash compared to Apple.

• Reply 83 of 257
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    When is the last time Apple bought a well known brand and kept that brand name? If Apple was looking to get into the high end audio space they wouldn't do it through Beats. I'd love to know what they have that Apple thinks is so valuable (or doesn't want someone else to have)? If they're buying Beats to create a Spotify competitor then watch out for some other big tech company to swoop up Spotify.
  • Reply 84 of 257
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,815member
    rogifan wrote: »
    When is the last time Apple bought a well known brand and kept that brand name? If Apple was looking to get into the high end audio space they wouldn't do it through Beats. I'd love to know what they have that Apple thinks is so valuable (or doesn't want someone else to have)? If they're buying Beats to create a Spotify competitor then watch out for some other big tech company to swoop up Spotify.

Ah... you cracked it, Spotify started this rumor ... :D
  • Reply 85 of 257
    Lord, I hope not. Apple is capable of making their own streaming service and this simply has to be a false rumor. This would be a very poor match in terms of brands. Beats is downmarket trash compared to Apple.
    What on earth are Tim and Eddy thinking? They're going to pay $3B for Jimmy Iovine and Trent Reznor? Seriously?
  • Reply 86 of 257
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,301member

But Apple hasn't been able to make their own streaming service. Everyone else has but Apple.
  • Reply 87 of 257
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    OH GOD NO!!!!!!!

They make crap headphones that fall apart with crazy markup prices.

Are they still affiliated with Monster Cable?

Look up that scumbag company.
  • Reply 88 of 257
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Robert Brunner is the beats hardware designer. He was Jony Ive's boss before he left Apple and Ive replaced him. Does he come back to Apple and now work for Ive? image

Brunner works at Ammunition, an industrial and graphic design firm. It would make no sense to buy Beats if all Apple was after was product design. I am very skeptical of this rumor.

• Reply 89 of 257
    rogifan wrote: »
    What on earth are Tim and Eddy thinking? They're going to pay $3B for Jimmy Iovine and Trent Reznor? Seriously?

Then set Jimmy up with his own version of American Idol brought you you from Space Ship Apple.
  • Reply 90 of 257
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeiP5 View Post

Looks beats I don't like the quality of the sound becasue they insane the base but the design is great. Maybe is patents Apple is going after and also they could probably some how use them in iWatch or Apple Watch.

Apple would not purchase a company for design patents. They can create their own designs.

• Reply 91 of 257

Another thing... Beats Electronics only had $350 million in revenue in 2011. $3.2 billion would be massively overpaying.

• Reply 92 of 257
    tiptytipty Posts: 4member

I think it would be better if Apple bought 8tracks. 

• Reply 93 of 257
    Brunner works at Ammunition, an industrial and graphic design firm. It would make no sense to buy Beats if all Apple was after was product design. I am very skeptical of this rumor.
    Oh I know that. I just thought it was amusing that the designer of beats hardware used to be Jony Ive's boss.

Anyway Apple paying $3B for headphones makes no sense. And headphones that, even though they sell well, have a reputation as being overpriced crap. Why in the world would Apple want to tie themselves to that brand? This one is a real head scratcher to me,
  • Reply 94 of 257
    Another thing... Beats Electronics only had $350 million in revenue in 2011. $3.2 billion would be massively overpaying.

Maybe the rumor has a decimal place error ....

Oculus Rift next?
  • Reply 95 of 257
    mubailimubaili Posts: 454member
    Simply put, if this deal is true, it just means Apple has lost its heart and soul.
  • Reply 96 of 257
    Time has some good questions: http://time.com/93309/apple-buying-beats/
  • Reply 97 of 257
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Wake me up when this passes. Beats is very mediocre
  • Reply 98 of 257
    mubaili wrote: »
    Simply put, if this deal is true, it just means Apple has lost its heart and soul.
    If it's not true I'm surprised Apple hasn't denied it already.
  • Reply 99 of 257
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Apple would not purchase a company for design patents. They can create their own designs.

The root design of iTunes was bought - anything is possible.
  • Reply 100 of 257
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oculus Rift next?

I’d be fine with Apple buying it just to get it out of Facebook’s hands.

But you know Zuckerberg won’t part with anything he gets his grubby little hands on.