Dr. Dre, Tyrese share Heineken-fueled celebration of Apple's alleged Beats acquisition

Comments

• Reply 121 of 164
    supremesupreme Posts: 31member
    We get that wasting 3.2 billion on style (wholly devoid of substance) when you already have style (and substance) is idiocy. Therefore this argument for the purchase is patently false.

Simple.

My reply wasn't aimed at whether or not Apple should buy Beats, frankly I could care less. My reply was to all the people saying how X brand makes better sounding headphones when they have no idea why people buy Beats headphones.

As I stated in my original post, if Apple did or is interested in buying Beats my guess is it has more to do with the streaming service and Jimmy Iovine himself for obvious reasons.

Simple.
  • Reply 122 of 164
    john12345john12345 Posts: 152member

I think there's another angle to this.    Samsung has been going after the urban youth/hip hop community by getting endorsements deals with Jay-Z, Lebron James, NBA, etc.   Getting Dr Dre neutralizes that advantage.

• Reply 123 of 164
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by john12345 View Post

I think there's another angle to this.    Samsung has been going after the urban youth/hip hop community by getting endorsements deals with Jay-Z, Lebron James, NBA, etc.   Getting Dr Dre neutralizes that advantage.

I wonder which headphone company Samsung is suddenly going to buy?

• Reply 124 of 164
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Sony?

• Reply 125 of 164
    supremesupreme Posts: 31member
    hill60 wrote: »

SMS Audio
  • Reply 126 of 164
    morrolanmorrolan Posts: 35member

SkullCandy

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

SkullCandy

• Reply 127 of 164
    macotormacotor Posts: 16member
    Lotsa scared white people in here ;)

Beats headphones suck, but the music service is a huge plus for Apple. As a shareholder, I am happy to see them putting some of the cash to work.
  • Reply 128 of 164
    mikebgmikebg Posts: 1member

You sound bitter and ignorant.

• Reply 129 of 164
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    philboogie wrote: »
    I have, hence my comment. Look, I just don't think Apple is the kind of company that wants to be associated with rappers doing their 'MF' thing on camera. Does that make me childish?
    NO, it doesn't.

However, it does appear that your trying to block out the very fact that African Americans are far more successful in the music biz (and in general) than you give them credit for. Their cultural idiosyncrasies and fun with colorful language shouldn't discriminate against them from enjoying Apple tech just like all of us Lilly-White-Bread-Old-Folks around here. If anything, I think their inclusion and cultural influence will take some of the brand-heat off of the "traditional" Apple fans (see LWBOF above).

I get why they are successful, and aren't blocking out any cultural thing but embrace all.
    As much as it pains me to say, SJ is dead and his personal taste in music is not future-forward and all inclusive, what with Dillon, Beatles, U2, Cold Play etc. making up his playlists. Across Europe, Asia and South America the black influence on musical tastes among the younger generation is hard to ignore and has been trending continuously for some time now.

Not only influenced them, but me as well.
    If the addition of Dr. Dre and the South Central dudes adds another level off "cool" to get the young'ns interested in saving up and owning Apple/Beats stuff... I'm not going to be the idiot that says it shouldn't happen.

That I agree with. I just can't imagine them using profanity in marketing material, which is what I was imagining yesterday. But today is another day, filled with new Beats articles for me to catch up on.
    Sheeeeeeeeet!.... and certainly not for any cultural differences of opinion or language usage......... :smokey:

Loved The Wire!

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 130 of 164
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    This is awesome!

Some people just don't understand the kind of media connections iTunes is getting in this deal...

Jimmy Iovine is a senior executive at Vivendi Universal Music Group.
    Beats investor Carlyle Group / Len Blatvatnik recently bought Warner Music Group.
    Vivendi owns about 14% of Beats.

iTunes is about to become the biggest money maker for Apple.
    iTunes will own the global music industry if they didn't already. :)
    Wake up people. This is huge for Apple.

As soon as Apple closes this deal and really takes it Global, it will be worth 10 times more.

ITunes is already the largest download site, but it's not that profitable. How is buying beats going to make iTunes more profitable? Please explain your line of reasoning.
  • Reply 131 of 164
    sog35 wrote: »
    Hello, is that you Mr Sterling?

Love that show. Also:

"Nobody knows what I'm doing. It's good for mystique.” - Roger Sterling

hmurchison wrote: »
    I think Hi Rez audio is coming.

How's that going to work out on a 8GB iPhone? With ? 110MB per minute a 192kHz/24bit this is going to be crammed, even on 64GB devices.

wizard69 wrote: »
    What good is a poll?

Pretty useless, with only 20some voters.

stevenoz wrote: »
    Shouldn't they be drinking malt liquor?

They're Android users, so cheap Heineken beer¡

Then their was vinyl, crackly fragile crap you'd have to change every 22 minutes then the constant hiss of cassette tapes but at least they didn't skip like portable CD players.

22 minutes? You don't remember the James Brown single that had to be flipped in order to hear the 2nd half of the song?
  • Reply 132 of 164
    Love that show. Also:

How's that going to work out on a 8GB iPhone? With ? 110MB per minute a 192kHz/24bit this is going to be crammed, even on 64GB devices.
    22 minutes? You don't remember the James Brown single that had to be flipped in order to hear the 2nd half of the song?

I was talking about LPs and cassette tapes made to match them, Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull required both sides, there was an almost 27 minute version of Dazed and Confused on The Song Remains The Same by Led Zeppelin but most albums came in at around 45 minutes, CDs changed that.

I never was much of a one for singles, even today with MP3s I still buy albums.
  • Reply 133 of 164
    Love that show. Also:

I was talking about LPs and cassette tapes made to match them, Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull required both sides, there was an almost 27 minute version of Dazed and Confused on The Song Remains The Same by Led Zeppelin but most albums came in at around 45 minutes, CDs changed that.

I never was much of a one for singles, even today with MP3s I still buy albums.

Missed the obvious 22 minutes. Yes, CD's did change that. It actually put a burden on many artists, hence all the filler songs we got.
  • Reply 134 of 164
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    I get why they are successful, and aren't blocking out any cultural thing but embrace all.
    Not only influenced them, but me as well.
    That I agree with. I just can't imagine them using profanity in marketing material, which is what I was imagining yesterday. But today is another day, filled with new Beats articles for me to catch up on.
    Loved The Wire!

[VIDEO]

@PhilBoogie - Thank You a 1000x for replying!

I was really getting depressed reading all of the posts on multiple threads that had a very sad and pathetic underlying racist and cultural discriminatory tone... many from posters that I've previously respected regarding other topics.

Re: after the World Cup I was thinking which series I would really like to binge on again... and I'm at a toss up between The Wire and Breaking Bad.

Re: the influence of black culture in music - my "trending" comment was based on the influences of hip-hop and rap the world over for over a decade.

However, how soon we forget that it is was black music culture (R & B = Rhythm and Blues!) that spawned Rock & Roll some 60 odd years ago. It was so repugnant to many Lilly-White-Old-Folks at the time that it was banned in places, and certain white guy pioneers like Jerry Lee Lewis and later "swivel-hips" Elvis were panned, banned, pulled off stage and arrested.

Anybody that truly loves Western music of any genre (other than Classical), can follow their preferred genre's melodious trail back to some black guy(s) sitting on a porch... whistling, humming their "blues", and thumping of their foot to add a rhythm... thus creating a "BEAT"****. That fact is as undeniable in it's origin as it is in it's longevity and ability to be sculpted into other modern and ever evolving musical expressions.

To deny the above, is being deaf, dumb... and dare I say... being a cultural racist. I may agree with anyone's right to state their opinions or beliefs; but I do NOT have to respect them if those beliefs/opinions further an unintelligent and discriminatory agenda.... IMHO!

**** I twisted the sentence and narrative around to something more "visually pleasant", than the true definition which reflects upon the monotony (rhythm) of slave labor in the fields and singing to dampen the misery (blues).
  • Reply 135 of 164
    [QUOTE]...shouldn't discriminate against them from enjoying Apple tech [B][COLOR=red]just like all of us Lilly-White-Bread-Old-Folks around here[/COLOR][/B].

Is that you Spike Lee?[/QUOTE]

That's an inclusive statement... so no... I'm not.

Proves your comprehension skills are lacking and all of your posts above are for lack of said comprehension of the topic your replying to.... :p
  • Reply 136 of 164
    @PhilBoogie - Thank You a 1000x for replying!

I was really getting depressed reading all of the posts on multiple threads that had a very sad and pathetic underlying racist and cultural discriminatory tone... many from posters that I've previously respected regarding other topics.

Seems like I'm not the only one who has noticed the blatant racism regarding this (still rumored) acquisition.

John Gruber pointed it out, coming from The Awl - http://www.theawl.com/2014/05/lets-call-it-apple-privilege

... and I mistakenly followed a link to to the YouTube video featuring the Dr. Dre/FB vid... the comments are nauseating!

When will we as a species ever get over this SHIT! :devil:
  • Reply 137 of 164
    Seems like I'm not the only one who has noticed the blatant racism regarding this (still rumored) acquisition.

John Gruber pointed it out, coming from The Awl - http://www.theawl.com/2014/05/lets-call-it-apple-privilege

... and I mistakenly followed a link to to the YouTube video featuring the Dr. Dre/FB vid... the comments are nauseating!

When will we as a species ever get over this SHIT! :devil:

Mate, if I could manage to pull off that big a deal, meaning generations of my family would never have to work again and would never want for anything I'd be pretty happy and wanting to celebrate too.
  • Reply 138 of 164
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Mate, if I could manage to pull off that big a deal, meaning generations of my family would never have to work again and would never want for anything I'd be pretty happy and wanting to celebrate too.

Sorry, that's not what being wealthy is about. In many respects your problems are compounded because your concern then shifts to how to best grow and maintain that wealth. Then there are the relatives you never knew who all come knocking who think you owe them because of... genetics? And if kids are involved, how to keep them from becoming entitled worthless brats. And let's not forget if you are rich and famous, all of the crazy people who harass you or want to sue you... Yep, being rich is a walk in the park.
  • Reply 139 of 164

Could it be you misunderstood my post(?)... because the video doesn't bother me in the least. In fact I think it's rather calm and laid back considering the sum and success(!)
  • Reply 140 of 164
    Sorry, that's not what being wealthy is about. In many respects your problems are compounded because your concern then shifts to how to best grow and maintain that wealth. Then there are the relatives you never knew who all come knocking who think you owe them because of... genetics? And if kids are involved, how to keep them from becoming entitled worthless brats. And let's not forget if you are rich and famous, all of the crazy people who harass you or want to sue you... Yep, being rich is a walk in the park.

You certainly have some valid points... but why do ya have to p*** on their parade with skepticism... even if the odds are that may be a concern in the future. On the other hand, a lot of these guys have made some serious bucks for a while now... so I think they've been around the block a few times and are experienced enough to keep a certain amount tucked away. Just be careful about getting married or having kids! That'll drain ya dry in a heartBEAT if things don't go as planned... :smokey: