Apple says it's willing to settle, but inflammatory comments from Samsung suggest it isn't

Comments

• Reply 41 of 89
    Lawyers as self interested people just like many others. Keeping litigation going keeps their income rolling at the expense if everyone else.
  • Reply 42 of 89
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

Ahhh, the wonderful red-herring argument. Here is the fallacy with what you said.  Apple already spent the money and gave it to Shamsung for those parts. There is nothing that can be done about that.  

Of course there is. Boycotting Apple devices containing Samsung parts might force Apple to choose another supplier. Assuming Apple even cared, and if they don't then why should you.

• Reply 43 of 89
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Of course there is. Boycotting Apple devices containing Samsung parts might force Apple to choose another supplier. Assuming Apple even cared, and if they don't then why should you.

What fucking fictional planet do you live on, where you believe there's a snowball's chance in hell that enough people are willing to "boycott" Apple products based on the manufacturer of the internal components. You'd have to be quite the unbalanced extremist, not to mention the fact that if you're boycotting any technology with samsungs component inside, your options become VERY limited (if not non-existent). I utterly despise Samsung, but your scenario is ludicrous. Nobody cares. 

• Reply 44 of 89
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Samsung doesn't care if this war is fought for another 30 years. I think legal expenses must come out of Samsung's advertising budget.

They are now saying, Apple thank you for blinking first. 

• Reply 45 of 89
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

They are now saying, Apple thank you for blinking first. 

... and that was another one of the things I mentioned. No matter what Apple does at this point, Samsung will spin it in its favor. Samsung doesn't care what we think, what Apple thinks... what anybody thinks.

Pull out Apple. No matter which way you go it won't make a stick of difference in the end.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

• Reply 46 of 89
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    That's two days in a row Apple Insider has posted the same mistake about the damages - and drawn conclusions from this mistake, thus making a bad situation worse. The total damages are over $1 billion!

Come on... fix this!

If they fixed blatant errors there would be fewer people viewing pages and posting. It's all about the clicks.
  • Reply 47 of 89
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Your iPhone contains Samsung products. How about giving that up then?

CONGRATULATIONS! You are person #1,000,000 to not understand what you’re saying at all! Click here to claim your prize! 

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What fucking fictional planet do you live on, where you believe there's a snowball's chance in hell that enough people are willing to "boycott" Apple products based on the manufacturer of the internal components. You'd have to be quite the unbalanced extremist, not to mention the fact that if you're boycotting any technology with samsungs component inside, your options become VERY limited (if not non-existent). I utterly despise Samsung, but your scenario is ludicrous. Nobody cares. 

• Reply 48 of 89
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    I'm through with Samsung. Their attitude stinks. I suspect the only language they truly understand is the bottom line so I'm going to do everything I can to ensure that nobody in my family ever buys another Samsung product regardless of how good a deal it might be.
  • Reply 49 of 89
    taniwhataniwha Posts: 347member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I hate to say this, but I think is time Tim gives Obama a call and make sure Samsung does not ship a single product into the US. Then Tim need to talk to the EU and make Samsung does not ship any products there. I think their tone will change if they loose two of their biggest markets.

What their lawyer is saying it is costing Apple more than Samsung not to settle.

Yeah, of course the EU will do whatever Tim tells them to do. Get real !

• Reply 50 of 89
    taniwhataniwha Posts: 347member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by b9bot View Post

The best way to show Samsung how much we dislike it is to boycott there products. All of them.

No sales means no money to continue battling in court.

I for one would never buy or own a Samsung product after reading about this kind of behavior from a corporate entity. No morales, not dignity, no class what so ever.

Don't buy Samsung products!

Maybe all the people who share your view are already boycotting everything Samsung ???

• Reply 51 of 89
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    Until a court puts some teeth into Samsung's thieving hide it will not settle. The second a judge bans Samsung products is the day they will start wanting to settle. Until then it won't, why should it? It is making a ton of money off of stolen IP.
  • Reply 52 of 89
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,098member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

I'm glad I don't have to deal with these lawyers and copy cat companies day in and day out like Apple does.

Samsung was just another cheap electronics knock off company, who made a name for themselves copying the iPhone, they happened to make it big and now Apple wants to share in some of their profits. But, Samsung is starting to think they're more than a cheap copycat company. The problem for them will come when they think they have taste, and stop copying Apple. That's what happened to Microsoft. The minute they stopped copying Apple play by play, they fell out of relevance. But Microsoft is back to copying again, so they may still make it.

The time has already come for Samsung.  Look at the failures of products they tried doing on their own without their R&D department in Cupertino.  Their gear watch, and the S5 both were major disappointments.  Their tablets are a joke, which is why they don't publish sales figures since the trials showed they lied through when it came to light their tablet sales were on the bottom of the list and the Kindle sold more than they did.

Samsung is a company that needs to die.  We need people that actually create, innovate, and push the envelope further.  We do not need some two-bit trash company that just creates cheap knockoffs and litigates to death knowing they can just stall it in the courts.

It's obviously Samsung has great capabilities with their chip/display facilities.  Why can't they put that much effort into their own products instead of ripping off others?

• Reply 53 of 89
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,204member
    Quote:

Your iPhone contains Samsung products. How about giving that up then?

The new made-in-USA Mac Pro contains Samsung SSD, too. I'd like to see Apple use more reliable memory, from a U.S. manufacturer, than cheap Samsung TLC.

• Reply 54 of 89
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,204member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

The time has already come for Samsung.

Come and gone.

I hate to think of a world in which Samsung crap dominates.

• Reply 55 of 89
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Exactly my point, who the hell cares.  Apple is quite happy to continue dealing with Samsung, yet we have all those idiots on here claiming that will never buy another Samsung product again because they love Apple so much and Samsung is Apples arch-enemy. Cracks me up.

• Reply 56 of 89
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,467member

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Apple needs to drop the good-guy path and smash Samsung's head clean off with a frik'n baseball bat.

These litigations are immensely advantageous to Samsung, while they get sued for a $100M here a $1B there, Samsung is raking in tens of billions, they will continue to copy and litigate because it is to their advantage. Yet, another proof that the legal system cannot impose anything on whoever doesn't care about what the legal system thinks and has money.

• Reply 57 of 89
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Exactly my point, who the hell cares.  Apple is quite happy to continue dealing with Samsung, yet we have all those idiots on here claiming that will never buy another Samsung product again because they love Apple so much and Samsung is Apples arch-enemy. Cracks me up.

No, what cracks me up is that you truly believe there is no difference between buying an actual Samsung consumer device, and a product from another company that has some Samsung-manufactured components inside. Give me a fucking break. There's a world of difference between those 2 things, and because I'm fine buying an iPhone (which has components from dozens of companies inside) and not fine buying a $700 Samsung phone, does not make me a hypocrite. Nor does it make me an idiot. It makes you one for making such an asinine comparison, as if everything is equal. 

• Reply 58 of 89
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by otterfish View Post

I'm sure hundreds of millions of teenagers with their Samsung phablets couldn't care less.

There is no such thing.

Samsung has not sold "hundreds of millions" of phablets to anyone.

• Reply 59 of 89
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    otterfish wrote: »
    Because it provides no benefit to Apple and has the greater potential of damaging their reputation.

What are the potential downsides? Apple ends up being seen by everybody in the industry as the bully in the mobile playground.

You are holding Apple responsible for your own prejudices.

You're basically saying: "Apple should stop what it is doing because it proves what I think of them for doing it!"

Apple "bullying" Samsung on the "playground" is less about anything they are actually doing and more about your point of view.
  • Reply 60 of 89
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    Why would Samsung settle? They're not footing the bill.

Apple has tried to talk to them before. Forgo the legal route.

But Samsung always chooses court.

Two issues with this:

1) LOL @ peeps who think Apple is the "bad guy" for taking Samsung to court.

2) Samsung must be a bad word at the Mountain View water cooler these days.