Bounden delays iOS to Android port after finding many Google phones' gyroscopes don't work

Comments

• Reply 41 of 105
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    Open! Choice!
  • Reply 42 of 105
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,584member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

You mixed them up. It's iOS 7 that crippled older devices. KitKat actually makes older devices better.

What Android phones from 2010 run KitKat, like Apple's iPhone 4 runs iOS 7?

You can dick around with CyanogenMod to get KitKat running on some specific Sony Xperia phones from 2011, but that's described as being only "reasonably stable" and "it’s important to note that several features aren’t working on these legacy device ROMs including FM radio, 720p video recording, HDMI and Wi-Fi tethering. Wi-Fi is working, but not without some bugs."

You are so wrong it's just comical. But that's par for the course among Android fans, who make excuses for crap and then complain about how flawed Apple is despite being so wildly far ahead of the entire industry behind Google's Android.

• Reply 42 of 105
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,122member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Penguinisto View Post

Mind you, I'm typing this on a MacBookPro (mid-2013 model), but I have to take issue with this crap:

"1. Android users have no friends, least of all a potential dance partner because they are so hateful towards other people"

My wife says you're full of it.

"2. Android users are typically overweight so would have difficulty dancing gracefully"

I'm 6' even and weigh in at 168 lbs. 

"3. Bounden is a paid app, Android users mostly steal apps or download free apps, I believe a lot of them are baristas"

I don't have such an app, have no need for it, and I'm a Sr. Systems Administrator. I rarely pay for apps on my cheap little Huawei, mostly because I find that very few of them are useful enough to be worth having. Then again, I'm not glued to my phone 24/7 either - the phone, Waze and corporate email are about the complete extent of what I use it for.

"4. Android users are lacking in culture and respect for creativity so choreographed dance would be wasted on them"

Currently I'm halfway through re-reading Plato's Republic... for fun. I live in PDX, which has a boundless plethora of culture and music... and yes, this includes a wild variety of choreographed dancing.

Long story short? Generalization of this order makes you look dumb and uneducated, and you should know better. I prefer Apple products where they make sense in my own personal use cases. For a solid-as-hell laptop and OS, well, see the beginning of this missive. For a tablet, a 16GB iPad Wifi-only model makes sense for me. For my phone? Screw it - the little Android device I have is cheap, works well, and does what I want it to do. If it gets stolen or broken, I lose a grand total of $149.00 of investment in the deal, and can easily go get another one. It's a fairly solid little device for what it does, and has lasted about 18 months and counting, so I'm not too awful worried about ROI on it by now. ;)

I understand the over-generalization of Android users.  I think most refer to the Android "enthusiasts".   It sounds like you and your wife use your Android phones for nothing more than a glorified feature phone and bare-bones pre-installed apps.

Try using anything (if available) that uses the hardware in your cheap Huawei and you'll be in for a rude-awakening.  Walled-garden or not, it's why iPhone users are generally more happier using their devices - even with minimal use - compared to all the drama of Android users.

You said so yourself.  You buy a cheap Android phone because if it gets stolen or broken, you can just go buy another one and move on.  You don't care about your phone.  Nothing wrong with that line of thinking.  Fine for you but my needs, and millions of others, have higher expectations for their mobile devices than you do.  I think the problem is that a large majority of Android users have high expectations from their cheap junk, and play the blaming game on others when they realize (or not) that they are getting what they paid for.

Android makers are in the business of selling their junk.  They have zero motivations to support current, or older models.  They make their money selling phones.  That's it.  They don't make money from an ecosystem like Apple does.  When I hear complaints from Android users that their 6-month old phone is not eligible for the new Android OS because the hardware is junk, my response is "What?  You expected more??!!". 

• Reply 44 of 105
    hopelesshopeless Posts: 65member
    The comments on the developer's website are the best thing I've read all week.
  • Reply 45 of 105
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    pooch wrote: »
    corrections? ded?

why don't you identify yourself as the regurgitator of the blog post being commented upon, rather than use a pseudonym to post comments on the blog post you, uhm, authored? or is that level of professionalism frowned upon at ai?

Somebody who names themselves "Pooch" doesn't really have the right to be taken seriously.

really? that's your response? you steal content from others, pass it off as your own, post comments to those articles anonymously, and then you complain when someone calls you on it? sounds about right. welcome to ai, folks.
  • Reply 46 of 105
    chipsy wrote: »
    In every community there will be bad apples. But what you are doing here is focusing on the negative idiots and ignoring the people who actually tried to help. And that isn't right either.
    Just like the Apple community or Microsoft community the Android community is filled with both idiot trolls and rational reasonable people.

Those reasonable people in the Microsoft or Android communities are just future Apple community members that made a misstep with their first purchase.
  • Reply 47 of 105
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=blue]Let's see... first Samsung was caught gaming the speed tests, and now their high end phones have fake gyroscopes.... anyone see a theme going on here???[/COLOR][/SIZE]
  • Reply 48 of 105
    corrections? ded?

why don't you identify yourself as the regurgitator of the blog post being commented upon, rather than use a pseudonym to post comments on the blog post you, uhm, authored? or is that level of professionalism frowned upon at ai?

Is Pooch your first or last name?
    You mixed them up. It's iOS 7 that crippled older devices. KitKat actually makes older devices better.

Hahahahahahaha hahahaha. By kit Kat making older devices better, you meant it forces Androiders to buy brand new phones.
    really? that's your response? you steal content from others, pass it off as your own, post comments to those articles anonymously, and then you complain when someone calls you on it? sounds about right. welcome to ai, folks.

Steal? He did ref Daring Fireball.
  • Reply 49 of 105
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

purposeful quick-obsolescense of devices so the consumer can go right around and buy another one to keep the waste-machine running.

iOS 7 didn't cripple my older device; but it did make it better. So I guess that makes you FOS.

• Reply 50 of 105
    sflocal wrote: »

Android makers are in the business of selling their junk.  They have zero motivations to support current, or older models.  They make their money selling phones.  That's it.  They don't make money from an ecosystem like Apple does.  When I hear complaints from Android users that their 6-month old phone is not eligible for the new Android OS because the hardware is junk, my response is "What?  You expected more??!!". 

Good post. I think, with regard to the Android market, it's primarily a commodity market. Even HTC, who makes a stellar product can't avoid being commoditized. That so many Android devices have poorly made or fake gyros and compasses and most users don't even know it, says something about the sleaze of the manufactures and more about the unsophistication of the users. That developers are fain to write quality programs for shit hardware owned by the unwashed masses is to be part and parcel of the platform.

Apple is smart to stay far away from that cesspool of steaming crap.
  • Reply 51 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I've said this time and time again for years.  Android devices are bottom-of-barrel products.  They compete for the lowest price point and people get what they pay for.

The Android community (especially Fandroids) should be ashamed of themselves for their blind support of such trash and having low-to-zero standards and not expecting more from this botched experiment of a mobile OS.  It's a f*cking joke.

They have liars like Samsung that spew nonsense statements about the "superiority" of their devices, when the reality is the exact opposite.  We have the no-name cheapsh!t Chinese brands that not only flood the market with $30 devices, but spew out Android malware to go with it.  Countless of different configurations, using components from who-knows-where, with different variations of Android OS currently in use... and Fandroids have the NERVE to spin that entire mess as "choice for the consumer".  Total bullish!t.  

And then we have iPhones.  They work, they are consistent, and Apple is really the ONLY mobile vendor that does its best to make sure that each new OS will run on just about all their "old" devices too.  

Fandroids are delusional to a clinical degree.  Shame on them.  Have some standards, and get a life.

Then you have proudly spouted ignorance for years.  There is no doubt that there are bottom of the barrel Android products.  At the same time there are numerous high end Android products.  You may not wish to live in a world where the poor can afford a smartphone but that is a market that Android is able to service while also catering to consumers on the high end.  If you can't recognize that quality, high end Android phones exist then you are a blind loyalist who is beyond hope.  I personally am an Android user and the product works great for me.  My phone does things for me that I could never do on an iPhone.  Yet, I can appreciate an iPhone and recognize it is a great option for many consumers.  I can acknowledge that there are things an iPhone could do for me that I will never be able to do on my Android phone, but for me Android is the better option.  It takes a real mental midget to not be able to recognize that  both platforms have their pluses and minuses and that there is not one universal answer for the superior product.  Congratulations, you are that midget.

• Reply 52 of 105
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

What Android phones from 2010 run KitKat, like Apple's iPhone 4 runs iOS 7?

4.4 works fine on a Droid Incredible, and doesn't slow it down like iOS 7 on an iPhone 4. You can do your own search for other 2010 phones that run it.

I am not claiming KitKat through ROMs to be a mainstream solution, but the claim above was that Android is engineered to make older phones obsolete and that iOS wasn't. I have presented evidence to the contrary. 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

iOS 7 didn't cripple my older device; but it did make it better. So I guess that makes you FOS.

I have several friends who now hate their iPhone 4 b/c of iOS 7. My wife took the high road and kept 6 on there until the 5s upgrade, which is a wonderful device.

• Reply 53 of 105
    tastowetastowe Posts: 108member
    The google did wrong to buy crappy phone maker vendors
  • Reply 54 of 105
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Things like this don't pop up overnight, so why is it only now that we're hearing about it? How is it that all other games that use a gyroscope work just fine? For all we know this dev could be lying, or exaggerating to cover his ineptitude.
  • Reply 55 of 105
    jhromerorjhromeror Posts: 46member
    That problem is almost like Android innovation: not accurate, faked, stolen and in some cases non-existent /s
  • Reply 56 of 105
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Things like this don't pop up overnight, so why is it only now that we're hearing about it? How is it that all other games that use a gyroscope work just fine? For all we know this dev could be lying, or exaggerating to cover his ineptitude.

How many games use the gyroscope? He has a vine video to prove it.
  • Reply 57 of 105
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

3. Bounden is a paid app, Android users mostly steal apps or download free apps, I believe a lot of them are baristas

You believe wrong.

Wash cups and mop floors for baristas is more like it.

• Reply 58 of 105
    awilliams87awilliams87 Posts: 264member

Even on Google's own branded Galaxy Nexus, the gyroscope didn't work correctly. There was even a GPS bug that disallowed it from working as well until doing a couple of tricks in the settings. I remember being so embarrassed by it I stopped using the maps app altogether.

• Reply 59 of 105
    jpd514jpd514 Posts: 51member
    If Bounden had made this important revelation earlier we would not be in this situation:
    [B]Google most valuable brand, as Apple slips to second[/B]

Bounden have played poorly, or is this Apple which is a bad players

What it is: Bounden are bad at small games and Apple is losing a big game.
  • Reply 60 of 105
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Is Pooch your first or last name?

big difference.

i'm not providing content for this site and then posting anonymous comments to it.

ded is.