Rumor: Apple's 'iWatch' to have 'slightly rectangular' 2.5" display, wireless charging

Comments

• Reply 61 of 110
    dsddsd Posts: 186member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

What's the killer app for the iWatch?

iLaser Death Ray. Be the first kid on your block to get one.

• Reply 62 of 110
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    So would it be A = 1/2 (? – sqrt(4)) r<sup>2</sup> ?

This is Apple so perhaps it is a Golden Rectangle?! :)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_rectangle
  • Reply 63 of 110
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hexclock View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't think there is a name for this shape.

It's the shape of every television set from the 80's, viewed in portrait mode.

So the new name is CRT Curved Quadrilateral better put the /s

• Reply 64 of 110
    I have a serious question. If even half of these rumours are true, and I gave up paying attention awhile back, will this device perform the same duties as a fitbit ? Or should I just get a fitbit now ? I'm not sure
  • Reply 65 of 110
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hexclock wrote: »
    It's the shape of every television set from the 80's, viewed in portrait mode.

I think most, if not all, CRTs are like that which means it goes back well before the 1980's, but I have also found that shape purposeful built into a watch for aesthetic reasons dating back to the 1930s.

edit: Pipped by [@]mstone[/@].
    boeyc15 wrote: »
    This is Apple so perhaps it is a Golden Rectangle?! :)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_rectangle

I think that was what they may trying to achieve that to some degree with some balance between the original iPhone display (which has a 3:2 display which could be stated as a 1:5 aspect ratio) and the casing (which is 2.4" × 4.5" which translates to a 1:1.88 while trying to balance how the mechanics of the device.

I have a serious question. If even half of these rumours are true, and I gave up paying attention awhile back, will this device perform the same duties as a fitbit ? Or should I just get a fitbit now ? I'm not sure

If half the rumours are true it will range from doing everything FitBit does and more to doing nothing FitBit does and less. :\ I know, I know, that isn't helpful, but we really don't know anything.

Personally, I liked my FitBit Force but that clasp is so bad that not being overly diligent in securing it just once will likely result in it being a waste of $100. Took me about 2 months to lose mine and I thought I was being extra careful.
  • Reply 66 of 110
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Instead of rounded corners it's cornered rounders.

I thought Matt Damon, and Ed Norton were the cornered rounders. ;)
  • Reply 67 of 110
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    what's the invitation for the announcement going to say?

i'm going with "it's about time".
  • Reply 68 of 110
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

...but I have also found that shape purposeful built into a watch for aesthetic reasons dating back to the 1930s.\

Glad you recognized where I came up with that shape. There are a few designs that have all four sides curved but lots that have the two long sides curved with the short sides straight.

• Reply 69 of 110
    hopelesshopeless Posts: 65member

I love the people who are already declaring this to be useless and something they won't buy. Maybe wait until it actually exists to make a judgment on how good it is?

• Reply 70 of 110
    hopelesshopeless Posts: 65member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwolf View Post

No way Apple would come out with something as chunky as a 2.4" display - that's ridiculous! Everyone is expecting elegant - not elephant!

It could be 2.4 inch diagonal and pretty thin (like those curved-display watches we have seen in almost every mockup story).

• Reply 71 of 110
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Who says? Prove it.

Apple is making it larger. Everyone always say Apple knows best so clearly Apple believes it's users want a larger iPhone. That was a stupid comment. 

• Reply 72 of 110
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

I was looking for the name of a four sided shape that had two pairs of opposing sides of equal length but the sides were truncated circles sort of like a Reuleaux triangle but with four sides instead of three. I don't think there is a name for this shape.

That's a tonneau case. You see I actually know something about real watches.

• Reply 73 of 110
    512ke wrote: »
    Below is BUSINESS INSIDERS's take on this exact same story lol.

TAIPEI (Reuters) - [URL=]Taiwan[/URL]'s [URL=]Quanta Computer[/URL] Inc will start mass production of Apple Inc's first smartwatch in July, according to a source familiar with the matter, as the tech giant tries to prove it can still innovate against rival Samsung Electronics Co Ltd.
    <p style="margin-bottom:10px;margin-left:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-top:0px;"> </p>

<p style="margin-bottom:10px;margin-left:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-top:0px;">The watch, which remains unnamed but which company followers have dubbed the iWatch, will be Apple's first foray into a niche product category that many remain skeptical about, especially as to whether it can drive profits amid cooling growth in tech gadgets.</p>

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/iwatch-screen-size-2014-6#ixzz358I2j4i8

That website is by idiots, for idiots.
  • Reply 74 of 110
    atlapple wrote: »
    Apple is making it larger. Everyone always say Apple knows best so clearly Apple believes it's users want a larger iPhone. That was a stupid comment. 

The emphasized part of your comment is equally ludicrous. And erroneous.
  • Reply 75 of 110

The thing about watches is that since quartz mechanisms were invented, watches have been a wear it and forget it item for several years at least, depending on battery life. If Apple or any other smartwatch manufacturer manages to get people to charge their watches every few days, I'll be extremely impressed. I suspect that any attempt at a smartwatch will run into this barrier - nobody needs two portable devices that require constant attention - one is quite enough.

• Reply 76 of 110
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You can't say that because without an aspect ratio or a length of at least one axis you have no idea of the display area or its relative size. 2.5" with a curved and elongated display is very different than a round or square display.

Looking at my forearm, as rectangular as it is, I doubt it’s suited for a 7” screen at 16:68. :p 

• Reply 77 of 110
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    That's a tonneau case. You see I actually know something about real watches.

Can you elaborate?
  • Reply 78 of 110
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 809member

I obviously speak only as a consumer, but a consumer who wanted an MP3 Player but did not buy one because they were not easy enough to use until the iPod came out, wanted a better smart phone before the iPhone came out (but did not grasp the HOW much it would change life); and always looked for tablet/slates before the iPad came out. It is not that Apple invents categories, they perfect them.

But as for an iWatch, I just don't see the appeal. People differentiate between fashion/jewelry, and tech. See how quickly utility watches disappeared when they were not necessary anymore; only jewelry watches remain. They are not worn because they show the time, but because they convey wealth or fashion sense; people love to hide our technology, even if that technology (time keeping) has been around for centuries.

I see the benefits of a small device that one always wears, but it would have to be virtually weightless, and invisible! If had to wear it on the wrist, it would have to be hidden underneath the Rolex or Swatch. And using induction technology, it may even be able to feed off the watch's battery!

• Reply 79 of 110
    aedwardsaedwards Posts: 15member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Edit: Hey, how come 3 dots (dot dot dot) comes out all messed up, as it is after the word "loud" up above? I only have that problem here.

The 'three dots' is an ellipsis.  Something is translating the three dots you typed into a single ellipsis character, which is then not displaying properly.  AutoCorrect in Word and Outlook does this for me, maybe it's the spell check in your browser?

Are they sure about the 2.5" display?  That is the size of the display on an iPod Classic, way too big for a watch display.

• Reply 80 of 110
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

I'm pretty sure I'm not buying an iWatch. My iPhone screen is already too small. I can't imaging trying to read text on a watch screen. 

You can always wait for the Galaxy WristNote...