Audi announces support for Apple's CarPlay in 2015 models

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Oh yeah the planet Samsung one. :lol:

That interview while entertaining was difficult to watch. Donald Sterling's PR people need to get fired. He might be the only person in America that doesn't know that Anderson Cooper is gay.

I have to say, if I was running Sterling's PR I might not want to tell him Cooper is gay because he might then bring it up in his typical Sterling way as it would then be on his mind. He just shouldn't do interviews. The fact that he's gone so long without a public incident and now can't stop making them makes me think he's literally* losing his cognitive abilities.

* I was going to say "literally losing his mind" as oppose to the hyperbolic use of that statement but I'm not if that that would accurate since it's still there, just not working as well.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    taniwhataniwha Posts: 347member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jared Porter View Post

The US and Chinese markets are very important to Audi. Audi knows iPhone owners well fit their demographics. The majority of cell phone loyalty in America's more affluent neighborhoods (e.g. San Francisco and Greenwich, Conn.) accrues to iPhone.

Audi knows that Android owners fit their demographics much better. But my simple point was that it's insane for any manufacturer to give Apple (or android) EXCLUSIVITY. That won*t fly. Here on AI a lot of people seem to think that exclusivity is both necessary and desirable. I think it is neither of those.

• Reply 43 of 52
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    taniwha wrote: »
    Audi knows that Android owners fit their demographics much better. But my simple point was that it's insane for any manufacturer to give Apple (or android) EXCLUSIVITY. That won*t fly. Here on AI a lot of people seem to think that exclusivity is both necessary and desirable. I think it is neither of those.

Android phones are low-rent trash. Apple fits Audi much better.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,010member
    I happen to think BMW's iDrive works very well, so hopefully the adoption of CarPlay doesn't tread on good features for the sake of other benefits.

Specifically, touch control in a (moving) car is a horrible idea. I had it with Lexus, and some other car rentals that used the Sync system... Horrible...Beyond the instability of reaching for a touch screen, Lexus (lawyers) simply turned off several features while the car was moving (because they knew it was a daft idea to reach for a touchscreen while moving to begin with).

And voice cannot be relied on s the primary means for control. So integrating CarPlay access into something like the iDrive controller is essential.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    taniwhataniwha Posts: 347member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

A zero-added-value mantra that has NO basis in reality. Believe what you religion requires of you. Audi sees it differently.

• Reply 46 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

B.S. ... a matter of opinion.

Audi's plan to support BOTH systems is definitely the way to go.

I'd own a car for 15+ years... but could easily decide to switch phone platforms in that time.

• Reply 47 of 52
    fithianfithian Posts: 82member
    I wrote to Audi NA a few days ago, noting that their refusal to provide for Apple Carplay would mean that I would go to BMW, and never buy another Audi. I received an immediate response that Android was an open system and iOS was not, and they would have trouble working with Apple to provide Carplay. Sounds like they are now working with Apple. I don't care if it does Android. I am back in the Audi fold. I own a 2013 Audi S5.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    fithian wrote: »
    I received an immediate response that Android was an open system and iOS was not, and they would have trouble working with Apple to provide Carplay.

That person had no idea what they are talking about. Regardless of whether an automaker supports Android Auto or CarPlay Apple has done the groundwork to make this OS agnostic. Remember it's just a UI overlay from the mobile device that also uses the mic, speaker and some buttons, which already happens with other functions. Not having access to iOS Source Code is bullshit.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Last Audi I had, (well the wife actually) a brand new A8, only a few years ago, had so many electronic and computer related problems I lost count. The final straw was when we parked it at Tampa airport for a two week vacation and it decided locking the car meant lowering all the windows. Maybe Audi should ask Apple to take over all their electronics systems!
  • Reply 50 of 52
    sasiksasik Posts: 1member
    Apple's iautoplay should come as a great technology drive in car industry.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    The initiative at this year's Geneva Motor Show when models from Ferrari, Volvo, and Mercedes-Benz were revealed as the first to sport the new system in 2014.

Both Mercedes-Benz and Volvo, previously committed to adding CarPlay to some of their cars in 2014, have decided to wait (at least) another year according to the latest. Perhaps the early announcement was just a media attention grab? Maybe adding the Apple program is a bit more difficult than originally thought? Neither company is specifying the reasons AFAIK
    http://www.electronista.com/articles/14/08/19/mercedes.working.on.highly.sophisticated.head.unit.based.solution/
  • Reply 52 of 52
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Both Mercedes-Benz and Volvo, previously committed to adding CarPlay to some of their cars in 2014, have decided to wait (at least) another year according to the latest. Perhaps the early announcement was just a media attention grab? Maybe adding the Apple program is a bit more difficult than originally thought? Neither company is specifying the reasons AFAIK

http://www.electronista.com/articles/14/08/19/mercedes.working.on.highly.sophisticated.head.unit.based.solution/

Perhaps they need more time to work with iOS 8 and Swift?