Apple 'overhauling' the backend for its Maps service, hints at 'big plans' to come

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    No sign of coming, and at this point the only way I see is if they integrate with iCloud website.

mjtomlin wrote: »
    maps.icloud.com would be more like it.

I'm willing to bet iCloud will not only gain maps support, but eventually iMessage and Spotlight search as well. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">While many iHaters continue to beat the walled-garden drum, Apple is quietly building a web based application platform in iCloud that will surpass Google's Chrome initiative. </span>
    Once they get the APIs refined and set in stone, they'll release an SDK<span style="line-height:22px;"> for 3rd party developers.</span>

1) I have no problem with it being maps.cloud.com but I would like the maps access to not require a login. Note that if you are using a Mac or iOS-based device and send a Map link to someone it starts off as maps.apple.com?x=blahblah&y=yadayadaz=etc. However it's opened anywhere but on an Apple device that maps.apple.com link with then swap out the domain info for maps.google.com.

AIR, in the WWDC keynote description of iCloud enhancements, they described the ability to share (photos?) with no requirement for login by the sharee

* Don't call me Cheri ...

I suspect that Apple has a legal basis to challenge swapping domain requests away from Apple domain

2) They already offer some mapping on icloud.com for the archaically named Find My iPhone section.

On iCloud.com, Find My Phone uses Google maps backend (existing contract?)

On iOS 8 Find My iPhone uses Apple maps backend.

I think Apple should:
    1. use Apple maps for all on all platforms
    2. combine/extend the capability of Maps, Find My iPhone, Find My Friends into a single package across all platforms: iCloud, iOS, OS X
    3. offer a non-iCloud Apple maps service on the Apple web site
    4. expand all to support waypoints, tracepoints ...
  • Reply 22 of 47
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

I want to be able to exclude highways from turn by turn directions, please.

• Reply 23 of 47
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Google Maps was the scruffy underdog to Nokia, TeleAtlas, Mapquest, MSN Maps, Garmin, TomTom, Magellan and a few others. They did OK. Now Apple takes the underdog spot for awhile, and will probably end up just as successful if Apple is just as committed.

I don't think everyone realizes how big of a job mapping the entire world actually is. Plus, once you get it done, you have to just start all over again. For that reason Apple is only a couple years behind Google even though Google had a 10 year head start.

• Reply 24 of 47
    I'd like to know when Apple is going to get a street view for Maps.

Interested in making a difference?
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/maps_mac.html

Thanks for the link ...

I've been busy reporting problems (and some not-so-subtle feature requests).

The linked form is a better vehicle.

I find that Google, sad to say, does a much better job of parsing search requests, evaluating context -- then selecting the proper map results.

For example (from anywhere) when you use Apple Maps:

st pauls, london -- displays the proper map

st peters, rome -- displays a location in upstate new york

Or while displaying jerusalem:

both temple of david and dome of the rock -- take you to other countries.

Is Apple Maps guilty of Religious bias?
  • Reply 25 of 47
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    iWatch + Maps = ?
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Mmm ...

I just checked, and there have been only a few changes to MapKit this year for iOS and OS X -- none for iOS 8 or Yosemite.

Then there were the rumors that Maps weren't discussed at WWDC because of middle management problems in the maps group.

Then the leak of the "Flyover Tours" feature ...

Now, this "overhaul" ...

I suspect that there are hooks in iOS and Yosemite to support enhanced Maps feature -- but the APIs are not included (or not exposed to developers),

It;s 2 months until the "fall release" of the new OSes ...

Apple could add Maps enhancements to the betas with little problem ... I wonder!
  • Reply 27 of 47
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Google even has underwater "street view" so they're definitely not messing around when it comes to mapping.

Is this for getting around Atlantis?
  • Reply 28 of 47
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

iTunes Radio also needs to be accessible from a browser.

are you lost?

• Reply 29 of 47
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I like that term of "overhauling the backend."  That's awesome ghettospeak.

I'd like to know when Apple is going to get a street view for Maps.  Google has it and Bing has it. 

Have you ever had a good idea, or a sensical post? The answer is no. Not a single one of your posts has ever contained a shred of insight. 

Apple maps will never get street view, nor should it. Its such an invasion of priacy, not to mention being ridiculously inefficient, and needing ludicrous amount of time and manpower to map. You really want Apple cars driving down every fucking street mapping it? So in a few years they can stitch together some images that will get outdated in a few months? 3D mapping from the sky is far superior, Apple should focus on expanding their flyover view if anything (which they're doing). Wanting them to mindlessly copy streetview is just utter stupidity. 

• Reply 30 of 47
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I'd like to know when Apple is going to get a street view for Maps.  ... Bing has it.

I get this a lot with Bing Streetside:

Quote:

We are unable to load the selected map app. Please try again later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't think everyone realizes how big of a job mapping the entire world actually is. Plus, once you get it done, you have to just start all over again. For that reason Apple is only a couple years behind Google even though Google had a 10 year head start.

Entire sections of Europe are missing even the most basic street detail, and the Yelp POI data has been abysmal.  I think "a couple years behind" is too generous.  If Apple really wants to be in maps (and it seems they do) then they're going to have to devote the resources needed to do it right.  They aren't going to be able to halfass it with a small team, then kill it off later, a la Aperture.

• Reply 31 of 47
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Why is the flyover button called flyover when my iPhone reads 3D?

2) I needed to use StreetView just the other day. I don't use it much but when I do I have to pop into Google for that and I hate their new web interface for Google Maps.

I don't like the new UI either. For the occasional Street View I simply grab my 1st gen iPad with the Apple designed maps app.
    3) Apple made a big deal about FlyOver but the number of cities that are listed as FlyOver accessible is still very small after 2 years, which only includes when it was available in an iOS beta, not when the company they bought was using this tech. Objectively, if this was Google, Samsung, MS, anyone else I think we'd call it gimmicky and weak.

Someone posted this link here the other day, I think it's useful to bookmark it:

http://flyovercities.com
  • Reply 32 of 47
    eddieteddiet Posts: 3member
    Would like to have public transportation baked in.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    "1) Of the half-dozen or so errors I've reported I don't think any of them have been fixed. I've certainly not gotten any feedback from Apple as I recall being reported as option for some."

I've had the same experience. One particularly annoying example is a site that's only about 20 miles from Apple HQ. They still show it as a school even though that was torn down and a retirement home built there around 15 years ago. I've sent in a correction many many times since the Maps app was first released. I don't expect to hear from Apple, but it hasn't been fixed.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    Interesting. My problem with Apple Maps has never been with the interface or backend, but with the data set and search (closely related to the data set). So, while I don't doubt that this complete overhaul will eventually yield something good, I think that Apple really needs to spend more time on what they are feeding the system.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mknopp wrote: »
    I think that Apple really needs to spend more time on what they are feeding the system.

To me that seems like an easily solvable problem. I'd think that's about man-hours more than anything else.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

To me that seems like an easily solvable problem. I'd think that's about man-hours more than anything else.

I disagree, I think it's the hardest problem. That's why so much of the data is crowd-sourced - it's too big a job for Apple or Google to do on their own.

Whoever has the largest crowd wins. maps.apple.com would certainly be a step in the right direction!

• Reply 37 of 47
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

Apple could really hurt Google by pulling a Nokia and allowing you to download and store complete maps for states, countries, etc. Google has to keep you connected because they want to sell you ads. Apple can cater to the fact that you might be a world traveler who doesn't want to use up all your data access when roaming by downloading map results.

• Reply 38 of 47
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    trumptman wrote: »
    <p>Apple could really hurt Google by pulling a Nokia and allowing you to download and store complete maps for states, countries, etc. Google has to keep you connected because they want to sell you ads. Apple can cater to the fact that you might be a world traveler who doesn't want to use up all your data access when roaming by downloading map results.</p>
    apart from the fact you can store Google maps offline for use therefore no ads.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    You know I'm still dissapointed in that part of my prediction for WWDC this year re: Apple Home Server added to a Time Capsul sized device.

But hey... the year's nit over yet and I still think it's a compelling future product for Apple if they truly want to enable the Post-PC devices and advance the revolution. :smokey:
  • Reply 40 of 47
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by singularity View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Apple could really hurt Google by pulling a Nokia and allowing you to download and store complete maps for states, countries, etc. Google has to keep you connected because they want to sell you ads. Apple can cater to the fact that you might be a world traveler who doesn't want to use up all your data access when roaming by downloading map results.

apart from the fact you can store Google maps offline for use therefore no ads.

Storing them isn't the same as being able to search what is stored and get turn by turn directions. Google off-line storage doesn't do this. It allows you to scroll around and still look at an overhead version of the map. Nokia Here maps allow you to still do off-line searches and get turn by turn directions.