Gameover Zeus botnet reanimated, exposing the harm in "open" Android, Windows malware platforms

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    [quote]By the time Reuters reporter Joseph Menn could craft a misleading hit piece about the flaw, he had to admit that the fix had already been released by Apple. [/quote]

Dilger, an expert on misleading hit pieces, calling out someone for doing the same. What spectacular irony. It was bad enough when AI simply linked to Dilger's rabid fanboy nonsense but now that he seems to be the lead journalist (with negative journalistic integrity), I just don't understand the point. Do you people feel so utterly insecure that you need your egos constantly stroked? Honestly what is it?

And with all the Google hate, you've got to love that this site gets all of its ad revenue from Google.

Apple Insider, the Fox News of Mac fan sites.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    mpantone wrote: »
    Ultimately, it will be the end user community that decides what "normal" conditions are. If having a couple of viruses on your PC or smartphone is "normal", it'll be the overall user base that comes to that acceptance, not a single organization or individual. In the same way, at some point herpes or HPV infections may become "normal" only because much of the community is infected and sees it as a normal state, like the common cold, the flu, or CMV.

I have a hard time believing anyone who actually understands what these viruses can do will ever accept them as normal.

There is no version of the future where I will ever come to accept a program that I have no controll over running free on my system logging my passwords and rummaging through my files. Furthermore, I think there are enough people like me (not to mention corporations) that we will never give up the fight (or maybe we will all move to OSX).
  • Reply 23 of 53
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    First of all, you do understand that the percentage of malware the Android platform is responsible for and the percentage of Android users actually infected are independent, right?

Second of all, Pichai's data doesn't count all the handsets on which Android runs and Google are notorious for playing games with the number depending on what they want the message to be. When they want to emphasize Android's market share domination, they roll out the "activations" number; when it's how many handsets are using the latest versions of Android, it's the handsets accessing Google Play. 

that's fair for google to do. Due to android having the capability of being an imbedded OS that means any device that uses android even if its just an ATM (yes I know those are Unix) would count for their numbers. They have to only count the percentage and android they have control of with their google play services. That does mean it will leave out all of the Chinese phones and the forked versions like the fire phone. Also it is impossible for google to count all of the other versions of android that do not hook into them. As opose to apple who most likely do the same thing is just track the unique devices connecting to iTunes to track the active devices and not just old phones being used a mp3 player in a car that never get connected to the internet.

Just curious, but why is something so simple as that "impossible"?

I think it's far harder to calculate phone usage based an sales estimates, channel stuffing, or supply channel supplies and deliveries. Yet they use these as a metric for winning every day as do bloggers, anal-ysts and the media at large.

If it is found after breaking down the true Android and Google Play numbers, that Google play has a little to no malware/trojan/virus/security risk problem, then I'll feel better recommending them*.

* Nah.... and after this Fall's iPhone release... I see no reason whatsoever for anyone that values security in the least, and only wants a bigger screen, to choose a Google Play phone. Now if a person chooses cheap/cheaper/cheapest and rootable to be able to steal apps and media, there's nothing that Apple is ever going to do officially to facilitate and please that customer. Google should also do their best to distance themselves from those people as well.... just sayin'...Let 'em go. :smokey:
  • Reply 24 of 53
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Hmmm, after checking articles on other sites you seem to be correct. What does Gameover Zeus have to do with Android specifically? The linked TechCrunch article makes no mention of Android at all but perhaps DED assumed no one would go and read it.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/11/crooks-reainmate-a-dead-botnet-to-target-high-value-bank-accounts/

Weird and deceptive headline if there's actually NO relationship which seems to be the case. image

It is a stretch.   Its not far off from:

Apple found to be completely insecure due to Gameover Zeus botnet!!  Microsoft uses microprocessors and has an operating system, and it was infected.  Apple too uses microprocessors and has an operating system which obviously makes it infected by association!  

Never mind that there are no known cases of Apple actually being infected, that just proves it is not secure according to Macky the Macky:

It's not the KNOWN infections that get you. It's the ones you don't know of. Same rule for rattle snakes...

Good entertainment though.

• Reply 25 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

What does Gameover Zeus have to do with Android specifically? 

Nothing. It's a Windows virus. It's no more able to infect an Android phone than an iPhone.

• Reply 26 of 53
    firelockfirelock Posts: 238member
    While I agree the title of the article is somewhat misleading, what the article is saying is that Apple systems have inherent security built into them that Windows and Android lack. As way of example of this the article mentions the Gameover Zeus vulnerability on Windows. This is not unlike saying the British attack on Taranto in 1940 showed the vulnerability of naval vessels to torpedo attack even in a shallow protected harbor, and that Pearl Harbor--while not containing the same ships nor facing the same enemy--was similarly vulnerable. It is not that difficult to understand.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firelock View Post

As way of example of this the article mentions the Gameover Zeus vulnerability on Windows.

Almost the entire article is focused on suggesting that Android is insecure. The author has seized the reanimation of a botnet which doesn't even affect Android devices as an excuse to write an Android slur piece. What does a Windows botnet have to do with Android fragmentation? Nothing.

It is shameless, mendacious propagandising, and Dilger needs to be called out on it.

• Reply 28 of 53
    This seems to have affected only Windows machines: [URL]http://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA14-150A[/URL]

Not really sure why Android would enter into the picture unless the author is making a general comment on operating system security.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    If I can't feel sympathy for people who are less sophisticated than I am, why should people who are more sophisticated than me ever feel sympathy for me?  Perhaps I'll never need any sympathy because I'm perfect?;)

Hmmm.

I'm with delreyjones. We expect people to look out when crossing the road, to know that when walking by a cliff edge you need to take care, that you need to be extra attentive when riding a bicycle in traffic and so on. Computers have been around quite a while. Newspapers continually contain sotories of hacks, scams, phishing, scam emails and so on. Banks continually send messages to customers telling them not to reveal their personal details or hand over their bank details via emails that don't specify their name and so on.

What would you say to someone who received a printed letter at their home with something like "Dear householder, we have recently noticed irregularities in your bank account and before we shut it down we need you to phone the number below where one of our customer representatives will take your account details and PIN and check that your security details are correct and if so we can re activate your account. This is a genuine message from your bank dear householder please phone us immediately. Your security is important to us." Would you expect them to follow those instructions?

Would give them sympathy? Or would you think that if they managed to open a bank account in the first place they really ought to be careful with whom they share their information.

Oh, by the way, can you send me your home address and front door key because I just need to check that your domestic security systems are up to date. You can trust me. Honest ... :\
  • Reply 30 of 53
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Articles like this help to reinforce just how secure Android is.  If the best someone like DED, who has an obvious vendetta against Android, can come up with then things are definitely looking good for Android.  Trying to bash Android security by writing about a Windows virus, or by bringing up a 3 year old article about an obscure 3rd party keyboard (an article posted a week or two back) smacks of desperation.  Obviously there's no real threats to write about if this is what's ending up in the articles.

• Reply 31 of 53
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Did you expect anything else from DED?

Km
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Hmmm, after checking articles on other sites you seem to be correct. What does Gameover Zeus have to do with Android specifically? The linked TechCrunch article makes no mention of Android at all but perhaps DED assumed no one would go and read it.
    http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/11/crooks-reainmate-a-dead-botnet-to-target-high-value-bank-accounts/

Weird and deceptive headline if there's actually NO relationship which seems to be the case. :???:
  • Reply 32 of 53
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

It's hard to have sympathy for people that fall for these types of ludicrous emails. "Er... hello Mr User, you are receiving this email because your bank wants to reset your password. To prove that this is not a scam email, we have sent this directly to you so you know that it is not a scam. So click on the link and then run the super secure application and enter your bank account number and password in the secure space"

The biggest segment of the population susceptible to this sort of scam is the elderly.  Judging from the people I meet in my mother-in-law's retirement complex I see why criminals target the old folks, both on computers and via telephone.  They just don't get any of this, but that doesn't diminish their desire to be part of the modern world.  Even my 84 year old Dad who is pretty smart (petrochemical engineer) fell for a phone call from an India based company that called him to report that he had viruses and malware on his computer.  Of course they wanted to sell him something to fix the problem.  Fortunately, about halfway through the call he figured out something wasn't right and hung up on them.  I don't think he pays any attention to these sorts of emails you mention, but I worry that someday he might.  He runs anti-virus, anti-malware regularly so I guess that's a good thing.  I wish I had pushed harder for him to get a Mac 15 years ago instead of Windows.  Oh well.

The sophistication of computer users covers a pretty wide gamut of experience levels.  There will always be people using computers who do so only in a highly superficial level.  There is not much we can do to help them - other than say "Get a Mac." and hope they think before they click.

• Reply 33 of 53
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    analogjack wrote: »
    It's hard to have sympathy for people that fall for these types of ludicrous emails. "Er... hello Mr User, you are receiving this email because your bank wants to reset your password. To prove that this is not a scam email, we have sent this directly to you so you know that it is not a scam. So click on the link and then run the super secure application and enter your bank account number and password in the secure space"

Just so you know, the reason people fall for these, is that they aren't expecting it. Your average person spends maybe 3 seconds reading an email, not scrutinizing it. This is is why these things still exist. It's why SPAM email still exists. That 0.01% of people who didn't pay attention is enough reason for them to keep doing it.

As for how Android devices are getting infected. The ad networks are the primary vector. Windows users who aren't paying attention accidentally install malware that then infects their mobile device because it has an IP on the same local subnet. Good ol Network Address Translation is not a firewall. So when you have a compromised device inside, then every device is vulnerable. Those "retired" old devices that are still plugged in, those last-generation Android's and iPhone 3G's, everything.

That's why Enterprises shouldn't even consider using Android unless they get a promise from the OEM+Wireless carrier that it will be on top of updates or they pay penalties. If this was a decade ago, no carrier would want to sell Android devices as their enterprise customers would be demanding replacements every few months due to not being up to date. Microsoft at least keeps on top of security updates for Windows, and doesn't have the OEM or a service provider hamstringing the update process. That is where Windows and Android differ.

Google could have more luck with chromebooks if they were actually useful for anything. People don't want them because they are even weaker than iPad's.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Misa View Post

Google could have more luck with chromebooks if they were actually useful for anything. People don't want them because they are even weaker than iPad's.

I like the ChromeBook and their very useful. There isn't much you can't do on the web anymore, I can access Microsoft Office online and iCoud to do my office work, use OneDrive and Google Drive to store all of my files including photos, use Pixlr and Fotor to edit my photos, use Cloud 9 and Shift Edit for my programming needs, use NetFlix and Zattoo to watch TV or Movies online, use Audio Tool and Audio Sauna to make awesome music, use Spotify and Groove Shark to listen too awesome music. The list of things I can do with my ChromeBook is very long, in fact I would bet you 100 dollars that I do more with my ChromeBook then you do with your main computer running Windows or OSX. Including installing Ubuntu into Chroot so I can use both Chrome OS and Ubuntu in the same run time. Do you know what a seasoned Unix girl like me can do with just a command line, I could touch you like you've never been touched before.:err: 

• Reply 35 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

"Trust me"... classic Get A Mac ad.

Yep, my favorite was the security guy standing behind and interrupting PC saying, "Cancel or Allow" and then something about coming to a "sad realization." Just brilliant.

Second favorite, the cheerleaders, "We're number one!" and without missing a beat after being corrected by Mac guy, "We're number two!"

Still makes me smile.

Best

• Reply 36 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blazar View Post

Operating systems evolve to survive living with viruses eventually, kinda like biological operating systems.

The human race is just playing out the perhaps billion year old process in a sociologic and technologic context.

Strange how we behave just like nature as natural beings.

I shudder to think it, but artificial intelligence will clearly supplant us. We will survive our solar system perhaps... Just not as human beings or simply biological organisms. Maybe as consciousness embedded in interacting quantum particles travelling through the cosmos.

Or maybe I have lost my mind...

Interesting, I've read (so it must be true!) that the human body has about 50 trillion human cells (give or take a few trillion) and about 10 times that amount of bacteria cells and viruses. It's just that the bacteria cells are so small.

However, to give it some perspective, the human cells, if all gathered in one place on the body, would comprise only about the size of one leg, below the knee.

The rest is "detritus!"  :)

I may have the 50 trillion wrong.

Oh well, probably not the right thread for this post! :)

Best.

• Reply 37 of 53
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    relic wrote: »
    misa wrote: »
    I like the ChromeBook and their very useful. There isn't much you can't do on the web anymore, I can access Microsoft Office online and iCoud to do my office work, use OneDrive and Google Drive to store all of my files including photos, use Pixlr and Fotor to edit my photos, use Cloud 9 and Shift Edit for my programming needs, use NetFlix and Zattoo to watch TV or Movies online, use Audio Tool and Audio Sauna to make awesome music, use Spotify and Groove Shark to listen too awesome music. The list of things I can do with my ChromeBook is very long, in fact I would bet you 100 dollars that I do more with my ChromeBook then you do with your main computer running Windows or OSX. Including installing Ubuntu into Chroot so I can use both Chrome OS and Ubuntu in the same run time. Do you know what a seasoned Unix girl like me can do with just a command line, I could touch you like you've never been touched before.:err:  

Thanks for those photo sites. I'm on an iPad right now and both want me to install in app. The Fotor guys allowed me to skip that, so I thought I could do it online, but it turned out they want me to install Flash. It looks like it's more designed for the desktop/laptop when not on an iPad.

Good luck with everything that's going on...
  • Reply 38 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Thanks for those photo sites. I'm on an iPad right now and both want me to install in app. The Fotor guys allowed me to skip that, so I thought I could do it online, but it turned out they want me to install Flash. It looks like it's more designed for the desktop/laptop when not on an iPad.

Good luck with everything that's going on...

Thank you so much, I just got out of the recovery room about 20 minutes ago, went in at 14:00. Normally I would sleep the rest of the day but I find myself restless. It has a lot to do with the pain meds, they gave me this stuff called Fentanyl, there's a tiny bag inside a machine, with a cable connected to a button, push the button and I hear kung fu phooey sing Fank Sintra songs. I saw the nurse program it and I memorized the pass code 34672 to unlock and reprogram the little guy. I of course would never ;). Even funnier before I took the medi-copter to Geneva the medic asked me if I had a fear of flying, I told him as long as they stay in the air I shouldn't have a problem. Until I saw how I would be flying.

The patient regardless of their state has to lay down, now he did prop me a little up so I could see out the window but for some reason my heartbeat started to rise 20 minutes into the flight, the heart monitor was reading 115bps. He said he was going to give me something to relax, I woke up in Geneva. I over heard the medic tell the doctors when they dropped me off they dripped 20ml of Valium every 20 minutes, yep, when fed through an IV that would knock out a bear. Any way they taped the Valium syringe to my IV bagged and it was still their the next day, they forgot it, hehehehe, I'll save it when I get bored. Don't judge, the only thing that's even remotely enjoyable about my situation is the techno color array of meds, pink ones, blue ones, red ones, George takei, "ooohhhh mmmyyyy".

• Reply 39 of 53
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    relic wrote: »
    ^ post

Great! So good to read that you're wide awake, reasonable quick after the operation. And good to not hear anything that you dislike at the moment, but rather feel the need to post yet another funny story, stories actually, and I commend you on the lightness you seem to be carrying this. I feel relieved, and it's all because of your funny posts. Thanks Relic!

I sure hope you don't reprogram that jukebox; may many people after you have been released from the hospital be just as surprised as you were.

I seriously hope you meant to write 115bpm instead of seconds, lol.

If that Valium didn't already did it for you, I think that Vodka the med in the helicopter is passing over to you did 8-)

All joking aside, I hope you can get some rest and will be out in no time.

Best to you!
  • Reply 40 of 53
    philboogie wrote: »
    Great! So good to read that you're wide awake, reasonable quick after the operation. And good to not hear anything that you dislike at the moment, but rather feel the need to post yet another funny story, stories actually, and I commend you on the lightness you seem to be carrying this. I feel relieved, and it's all because of your funny posts. Thanks Relic!

I sure hope you don't reprogram that jukebox; may many people after you have been released from the hospital be just as surprised as you were.

I seriously hope you meant to write 115bpm instead of seconds, lol.

If that Valium didn't already did it for you, I think that Vodka the med in the helicopter is passing over to you did 8-)

All joking aside, I hope you can get some rest and will be out in no time.

Best to you!

No it was in seconds, see my father was a hummingbird and my mother was never satisfied. Oh wow, Freddrik you lasted .005 seconds that time. I keep pissing off my nurse, I still have all of that surgical gunk on me you know that iodine stuff, anyway he wants to clean me up and put a gown on me, but what's the point, I have another surgery in the morning, 4 in total to look forward too. Plus I'm just way too comfortable right now for someone to wash and dress me, even if he is cute, so I keep pretending I'm asleep. Not working though as the glow from my iPad is showing through the sheets, damn. You know in this situation Google Glass just might be a cool idea. I'm in the Childrens ward because my doctor works predominately with children who have cancer, anyway the gowns here have cartoon characters, so cute and I my bed had a teddy bear in it when I got here. When the nurse went to take it away I grabbed it from her and yelled mine! "Your going to be problem patient aren't you", you have no idea sister.:) His name is Phillybearly, thank you for all of your kind words, your a wonderful person and you always bring a smile to my face, Phillybearly is blowing you a kiss.