Apple and IBM join forces in landmark push for iOS in enterprise

Comments

• Reply 121 of 249
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I obviously take great delight in the misfortune and misery of others that I don't like, and I just had to head over to the stocktwits stream for BBRY to read the commentary beginning around 4:15 pm, and it is just hilarious. BBRY bulls are delusional, I truly believe that many of them are seriously mentally ill.

I speak out against Apple when I think that they make a mistake, but I will also praise Apple when they do the right thing, and kudos to Tim Cook for this deal! 

iOS has already made massive inroads into business and the corporate world, but this alliance with IBM is just going to further cement Apple's position and it's just going to crush many of the other players in the market! This is damn great!

Apple and Tim Cook were smart enough to know that they could benefit immensely from IBM's expertise and experience in Enterprise. Apple and IBM will be an unbeatable and unstoppable combo for enterprise and business!

• Reply 122 of 249
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    lukefrench wrote: »

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Seriously this is beyond big</span>

Does it improve or diminish my chances of buying a 5.5" iPhone this year? ;)

The line just got a lot longer ...
  • Reply 123 of 249
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The line just got a lot longer ...

It sure has!

I'm not even going to get mad at any scalpers this time around, because that will merely be a sign of the insane demand. And I'm just going to order my stuff online, so they will not affect me at all.

• Reply 124 of 249
    pharmkid02 wrote: »

Move over Microsoft, Big Blue is back. 
    forget about Microsoft, SameSong is pissing in his pant right now :) 

To paraphrase Paul Harvey: We can't all stand around in a circle pissing in each other's pocket -- and get relief, thereby.
  • Reply 125 of 249
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    aaronj wrote: »
    Sure, that would be their reaction if they, you know, haven't seen a tennis tournament, a golf tournament, the Olympics, the World Cup, or pretty much any major sporting event in the last 25  years.
    I'm amazed at how many people on tech sites think a company isn't relevant if they're not selling consumer hardware. I remember when Microsoft announced the devices and services strategy, Microsoft fanboys would go nuts if anyone questioned that strategy or said Microsoft needed to focus on enterprise like IBM, as if IBM was some disease you wouldn't want to catch. I don't get it. I follow sports and practically every other commercial is from IBM and how they're "building a smarter planet". This partnership is huge, and it's amazing that nothing leaked considering they've been in discussions about this for several years.
  • Reply 126 of 249
    malax wrote: »
    Probably not a coincidence that this was announced in the middle of Microsoft's Worldwide Partner Conference http://www.digitalwpc.com/Pages/Home.aspx

This will likely be the talk of that conference tomorrow.
    Brilliant. Well played Tim, well played.
  • Reply 127 of 249
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

You mean iBM.

Yes. That's a lowercase "i". image

You may have something there....... 

Instead of:

IBM's MobileFirst initiative dubbed "IBM MobileFirst for iOS,"

Not very 'Apple'.........

How about:   iBusiness Management.... iBM

• Reply 128 of 249
    foad wrote: »

Do you have a link to any of the apps? In my initial browse around, I didn't see specific apps. Would like to see what has been done so far.

No. I don't think any have been announced yet.
  • Reply 129 of 249
    [quote]iBM[/quote]
    Can't be. That name is earmarked for the feature on the iWatch that monitors your bowel movements. (I'm anticipating the commercial for that with bated breath.)
  • Reply 130 of 249
    wurm5150 wrote: »
    Hell has frozen over.. Crows have turned white.. And Steve Jobs is rolling over his grave.
    Steve would be the first one to crow about this deal. This is a huge win for Apple to expand its enterprise operations.
  • Reply 131 of 249
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    wurm5150 wrote: »
    Hell has frozen over.. Crows have turned white.. And Steve Jobs is rolling over his grave.

Why so? The Apple anti IBM days go way back to IBM siding with Gates. Funded by IBM, in the early eighties Gates stole the Apple OS to create the crappy Windows OS and IBM stopped IT departments allowing Apple ][s access to main frames. Then, not long after, slime ball Gates having won the battle for main frame connectivity thanks to IBM, stabbed IBM in the back with the 'napkin deal' with Compaq and later all the IBM clones. No wonder that a-hole Gates is so into charity, his conscience must hurt so much.

Long after that Apple and IBM made up and Apple was selling Macs with the IBM Power PC CPU for quite a while. Apple and IBM are made for each other now.

This is spectacular news and is great for the tech industry.
  • Reply 132 of 249
    conwaycfconwaycf Posts: 35member
    IBM just went from Big Brother to just plain brother.
  • Reply 133 of 249
    conwaycf wrote: »
    IBM just went from Big Brother to just plain brother.

Actually, li'l brother :D

Paraphrasing Father Flannigan: He ain't big, he's my brother!
  • Reply 134 of 249
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Besides, Southwest Airlines bought Surfaces instead of iPads, so Apple is doooooomed! "IBM? Pfffhhtttt!"

I used to do a lot of editing work on SWA tv spots for their ad agency.  I sometimes got interesting inside information about SWA from the agency people.  I learned that Southwest is unrelentingly PC centric so I'm not surprised they made the wrong decision on tablets.  They must have a bunch of elderly IT managers and directors.  I'm surprised they don't require Internet Exploder to access their website.

• Reply 135 of 249
    texdeafytexdeafy Posts: 78member
    but but but wait a min I thought about that pic?? [IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/45782/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

lol
  • Reply 136 of 249
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Apple and IBM to Google and Samsung, "Hey, shut up kids, the grownups are talking over here".

• Reply 137 of 249
    chris_ca wrote: »
    cali wrote: »
    Okay, I guess it depends on how you read it.
    Only IBM is going to sell iOS devices with this stuff (this is what they mean)
    or IBM is going to sell only iOS devices with this stuff.

The only way you will be able to get the IBM apps will be to buy the iDevices with the apps pre-loaded onto the iDevices directly from IBM sales reps. (read this in another story).

The IT guys LOVE IBM reps and tolerate Microsoft reps, so when the IBM reps pulls out his order pad and says," How many IBM/iDevices do you want?" IT will respond with, "How many you got?"
  • Reply 138 of 249

With today's Apple/IBM announcement, I have to think that this is one of the "new product spaces" that Cook indicated Apple was moving into at the beginning of this year!

• Reply 139 of 249
    jungmark wrote: »
    That sound you hear is Microsoft employees collectively shitting themselves.

The obvious play now would be Microsoft Google partnership
  • Reply 140 of 249
    This is going to sell a lot of, iPhones, iPads and AppleTVs, said Tim, expansively ;)