Schools lament shortcomings of Apple's iPad as some opt instead for Chromebooks

Comments

• Reply 121 of 337
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

I think the issue is not keyboard. The schools are computer idiots. And every body is being misled. The real issue is lack of mouse. You need a mouse to do text editing. Select an insertion point. Select a range of text.

I have a solution to this lack of mouse problem. You actually need to provide a mouse for the iPad. Then you need an app which will provide a cursor on the screen....

This kind of outs you as a non-iPad user.

I periodically use VMWare on my iPad to remote into my work machine, which runs Windows 7.  Outlook, Excel, Word, server management, custom apps, the works. 

I don't miss my mouse a bit.  Touch alone suffices beautifully for the very tasks you cite.  (Even more so for native iOS apps.)

• Reply 122 of 337
    mistercow wrote: »
    Please point out where I said a "typing machine" was needed.  You said someone was "just wrong" when they said taking notes was more efficient than recording and re-listening to a lecture.   My post was nothing about how much typing was needed, only that I disagree with your notion that re-listening to lectures is a more efficient way to learn material than taking notes.  

Would love to know how that's the conclusion you've drawn...

Here's a thought for you then, why don't you go back and read the entirety of what was said so that it makes sense to you before you start hailing off and jumping in. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that when you're note taking that you only write what you believe is key, BUT you only do so because to write everything out is impossible! It's impossible to keep up with everything an instructor is saying and I've never said that the purpose of having a computer is to type notes verbatim. But you cannot deny that having the ENTIRE lecture recorded is much better than only having the notes that you were able to capture. Why have only the milk when you can have the whole cow and later decide if you only want milk or milk and beef? I don't understand why this is such a hard concept to understand....like I said, I'm currently in school and I've taken notes both ways, being able to listen back to an entire audio lecture is much more efficient for remember what was said.
  • Reply 123 of 337
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

This kind of outs you as a non-iPad user.

I periodically use VMWare on my iPad to remote into my work machine, which runs Windows 7.  Outlook, Excel, Word, server management, custom apps, the works. 

I don't miss my mouse a bit.  Touch alone suffices beautifully for the very tasks you cite.  (Even more so for native iOS apps.)

There was another complaint early in this thread.  You probably missed it.  The complaint is one needs to touch screen to do clicking, dragging.  This is inconvenient.  This is also one of the criticisms of Windows 8.  

• Reply 124 of 337
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

This is inconvenient. 

When is it ever "convenient" to learn a new skill? 

Most folks I know have to be dragged, kicking and screaming, away from their old habits.  Not that I am condemning that... it just seems to be human nature to resist change.

• Reply 125 of 337
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I believe he has mentioned that Chromebook is his main Internet access device.

Please let him answer the question.

I would like to know what devices he uses personally.

He is free to respond or not. Nothing I wrote would interfere with that.

• Reply 126 of 337
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,608member
    gtr wrote: »
    Have you yourself tried a Chromebook?
    At home I use a Chromebook for the most part and have for maybe 6 months or more.

So yeah I've tried a Chromebook. What do you usually use at home? Something with a real keyboard or virtual?
  • Reply 127 of 337
    mistercowmistercow Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

Here's a thought for you then, why don't you go back and read the entirety of what was said so that it makes sense to you before you start hailing off and jumping in. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that when you're note taking that you only write what you believe is key, BUT you only do so because to write everything out is impossible! It's impossible to keep up with everything an instructor is saying and I've never said that the purpose of having a computer is to type notes verbatim. But you cannot deny that having the ENTIRE lecture recorded is much better than only having the notes that you were able to capture. Why have only the milk when you can have the whole cow and later decide if you only want milk or milk and beef? I don't understand why this is such a hard concept to understand....like I said, I'm currently in school and I've taken notes both ways, being able to listen back to an entire audio lecture is much more efficient for remember what was said.

You only write down key concepts because that's what is important and that's what you want to focus on - not because it's impossible to write out everything.  Why not have the whole cow? because I don't need the whole cow.  I'm glad you are currently in school - I've already graduated.

I understand your concept just fine actually.  Re-listening to lectures is what you prefer for learning material.  Everybody learns in different ways which is why you shouldn't say someone is "just wrong" for saying they prefer note taking over recording lectures.

• Reply 128 of 337
    My wife taught at a private high school who did one to one iPads to students. It was actually quite successful. The iPad was part of the tuition and after the kids graduated they got to keep it. The tech there knew how to manage the stuff and had a set of approved software that was installed on the device. They had purchased some digital books for the iPad instead of textbooks - it was probably split 25/75% to 50/50%. The school also had apple TVs hooked up to projectors to be able to AirPlay things from the iPads. The school also employed the use of macs, but because of the iPads, they didn't have to have as many.

My cousin, who is in high school, was assigned a chrome book for her own use. She hates it and only cracks it open to submit work because that is how she is required to. All her work is done on her macbook air.

Why these idiots want chrome books is beyond me. It reeks of ignorance, incompetence, poor planning, or a combination thereof.
  • Reply 129 of 337
    mistercow wrote: »
    You only write down key concepts because that's what is important and that's what you want to focus on - not because it's impossible to write out everything.  Why not have the whole cow? because I don't need the whole cow.  I'm glad you are currently in school - I've already graduated.

I understand your concept just fine actually.  Re-listening to lectures is what you prefer for learning material.  Everybody learns in different ways which is why you shouldn't say someone is "just wrong" for saying they prefer note taking over recording lectures.

I wasn't even talking to you to begin with, I'm a grown ass man dude, I don't need you telling me what I should and shouldn't do when talking to somebody else. Furthermore, key points are important, but if the key points were the only important thing then teachers would step in front of the class, give you the key points really quickly, then be done....no lecture needed. The key points are the facts, and the explanation is the concept behind those facts. Everything is important, otherwise teachers wouldn't waste their time or their breath giving a whole lecture.
  • Reply 130 of 337
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

When is it ever "convenient" to learn a new skill? 

Most folks I know have to be dragged, kicking and screaming, away from their old habits.  Not that I am condemning that... it just seems to be human nature to resist change.

Do you realize that you are an exception to most folks?  

• Reply 131 of 337
    iPads and MacBooks are way too expensive for any budget-conscious school district to adopt as an educational solution. Chromebooks are inexpensive and, along with the Google for Education platform, are ideal. As much as everyone here wants to believe it, Apple products are not always the best way to go.

I've personally owned a Chromebook for 9 months and haven't had a single issue. I haven't used my Windows PC that entire time. Oh, and Chromebooks can't get viruses.
  • Reply 132 of 337
    4myego4myego Posts: 4member
    It seems that some educators need to be educated on the difference between a tablet and a computer in terms of their respective capabilities and purposes.
  • Reply 133 of 337
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Who wrote the comments made by those school officials? MS.
  • Reply 134 of 337
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

At home I use a Chromebook for the most part and have for maybe 6 months or more.

So yeah I've tried a Chromebook. What do you usually use at home? Something with a real keyboard or virtual?

I personally use a combination of MacBook Air, iPad, and iPhone so I have the option of using both types of keyboard.

How does using your Chromebook compare to using your iPad? (I am assuming you own an iPad - correct me if I am wrong)

What downsides do you feel the Chromebook has?

• Reply 135 of 337
    Let's see here: no memory card slot, file management is lackluster, port...what ports? (mini usb at least please)...those are the continual crap points of an ipad...i am sorry but having to connect it to a computer for itunes file transfers sucks major ass, and having to rely on icloud or internet for file tranfer/archiving blows when you have to no other option but shit networks (think mainland china...as in my point of reference)

Apple needs to LISTEN to the needs of the power ipad users...LISTEN.

For the record, as a grad student I blew out massive research papers on my ipad, as an education professional i have developed lesson plans, curricula, and have busted out effective drawings that are crucial for my lesson plan execution and are many times central to my lessons. observation reports (complete with photos and other visual supplementals) created on my ipad are both impactful and relevant for conveying information to colleges and parents. Typing on an ipad screen is cake for me as well.

Also for the record i, including my wife and two kids, have a total of five ipads...gen. 1,2,3 & 4. I habe reluctantly skipped the ipad air as i am holding out for the supposed "pro" model to come soon...these incremental generationsl improvements are a joke after a while...give someone like me, who is also a creative professional (synth music) an ipad with serious balls please...and don't forget true multi-window multi-tasking... Majorly sick and tired of having to use an unseen clipboard, open and close programs & whatever just to move audio/midi files between apps...seriously kills creative mojo dude.

Sorry for the sloppy writing but i am tired and in relaxation mode
  • Reply 136 of 337
    One more thing...my school supplies windows laptops for the faculty...i NEVER use them thank you very much...for me it is ONLY ipad, macbook air, or my macmini on a 40 inch screen (my eyes are just shit after years of ipad use...teehee)
  • Reply 137 of 337
    I personally use a combination of MacBook Air, iPad, and iPhone so I have the option of using both types of keyboard.

How does using your Chromebook compare to using your iPad? (I am assuming you own an iPad - correct me if I am wrong)

What downsides do you feel the Chromebook has?

I'm not a fan of any virtual keyboard device whether tablet or smartphone except for media consumption and even then I prefer casting to the big screen. I'm not a game player. I don't even like texting except via voice input so call me old school.

I've no idea of the actual downsides to a Chromebook in education. I'd be going by educator comments just as you probably would. Those discussions are fairly easy to find tho if you're truly interested.
  • Reply 138 of 337
    Quote:

I'm not a fan of any virtual keyboard device except for consumption and even then I prefer casting to the big screen. I don't even like texting except via voice input. Call me old school.

Old school is fine.

So do you OWN an iPad?

• Reply 139 of 337
    Old school is fine.

So do you OWN an iPad?

Personally I do not.
  • Reply 140 of 337
    Quote: