Apple continues European retail expansion with new Istanbul, Den Haag outlets

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    jungmark wrote: »
    I can't believe this thread turned into a debate about a song. Kudos. You must be the life of a party.

Actually a debate about unconscious yahoo-ism. You get honorable mention for starting it this time.

All I did was ask what was the source of the stupidity. Since I mostly read instead of watch junk on TV, yeah, I'm the life of the party for sure¡ So maybe I get the grand prize, king of the yahoos.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    philboogie wrote: »
    French, German. Much is actually from Latin, a language my niece fully grasps: she's getting A+ for that class.

Wiki:

Dutch (About this sound Nederlands (help·info)) is a West Germanic language and the native language of most of the population of the Netherlands, and about sixty percent of the populations of Belgium and Suriname, the three member states of the Dutch Language Union. Most speakers live in the European Union, where it is a first language for about 23 million and a second language for another 5 million people.[1][2][3][5]

Dutch also holds official status in the Caribbean island nations of Aruba, Curaçao, and Sint Maarten, while Dutch or dialects assigned to it continue to be spoken, in parts of France and Germany, and to a lesser extent, in Indonesia,[n 1] and up to half a million native Dutch speakers may be living in the United States, Canada, and Australia.[n 2] The Cape Dutch dialects of Southern Africa have been standardised into Afrikaans, a partially mutually intelligible daughter language[n 3] which today is spoken by an estimated total of 15 to 23 million people in South Africa and Namibia.[n 4]

If I remember right, it used to be said that Flemish was closest to English. How do you class Flemish?
  • Reply 43 of 45
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    flaneur wrote: »
    If I remember right, it used to be said that Flemish was closest to English. How do you class Flemish?

I usually just spit it out. :lol:
  • Reply 44 of 45
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    flaneur wrote: »

"Belgian Dutch", spoken in the Northern part of Belgium. A country difficult to understand, with 5 (five) governments (all shyte, but great beer) street name signs in Brussel printed in two languages, causing Apple to refine their Maps application over and over and so many more things non Belgian people have difficulty to understand. I only get half of it, being Dutch.

An orange juice is called an orange juice in Dutch. Yet, speaking in the Dutch language, but in Belgium, they have to call it a fruit juice. Never mind that there are many kinds to choose from, they call orange juice a fruit juice. And I love it (without comprehending it, mind you)

Boy do I love Belgium. And their restaurants!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flemish
  • Reply 45 of 45
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

"Belgian Dutch", spoken in the Northern part of Belgium. A country difficult to understand, with 5 (five) governments (all shyte, but great beer) street name signs in Brussel printed in two languages, causing Apple to refine their Maps application over and over and so many more things non Belgian people have difficulty to understand. I only get half of it, being Dutch.

An orange juice is called an orange juice in Dutch. Yet, speaking in the Dutch language, but in Belgium, they have to call it a fruit juice. Never mind that there are many kinds to choose from, they call orange juice a fruit juice. And I love it (without comprehending it, mind you)

Boy do I love Belgium. And their restaurants!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flemish

Bruges is lovely.