Beats by Dr. Dre gets its own section on Apple's online store

Comments

• Reply 61 of 99
    jambijambi Posts: 2member

When Tim Cook's apple bought beats everyone knows what they really bought....

"street cred."

It's an expression made popular by the hip- hop culture of the 1990's.

It will be odd to see apple change beats styling without there being a big spanking from the many devotees of this brand and culture.

Apple, I think, would be wise to quietly improve the quality and not change the look.

As for having "Dr." as a preface to your fake name is just beyond theatrically absurd.

Also, am I to think this person had any involvement with the making of the actual headphones? NO, everyone knows that.

Dre is not a singer, everyone knows that he's a snake oil salesman, a dropout, a gangsta', everyone with wikipedia knows this.

His BFF is Suge Knight.... Hello?

It's just crass sponsorship. 

and another bragger.

?I think young black american culture places great significance on someones financial achievement beyond anything else.

People like Kanye West, Jay-Z and now Dr. Dre are not satisfied with being top in music and need commerce as the next step.

I hear that lately Michael Jordan has been consulting with silicon valley titans.

So, I guess basketball isn't enough, he needs more billions, now?

It's seems as tacky as "Trump Tower." but, at least the Donald is in real estate.

A blatant grab to further cash in on your fame by slapping your name on something and duping consumers should not be celebrated.

But, cleary Tim has been 'hipmotize'by Dre's big following.

.....and maybe he should be, hip-hop is no longer just a 'black' thing, it's Global.

Even though over 90% of hip-hop artists are still african american.

See, people, white's need mo' "street cred'

and apple is whiter than a 'frasier' episode :-)

To say that our new post hip hop culture internet 'Kardashian' Age is not a huge sales driver, globally, is just naive.

• Reply 62 of 99
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    darkvader wrote: »

it's a nickname, numbnutz.

Seeing this got me curious, what did he get his doctorate in? 

So I checked.  His Wikipedia article is really unclear on whether he actually graduated from high school.  No college education, certainly no doctorate.  He doesn't even have an honorary doctorate.  He's not a doctor of anything, he has no business using that title.
  • Reply 63 of 99
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    elijahg wrote: »
    No, it doesn't, I have old 30 pin connectors too that I've never even used.

Mine have been well used by their previous owners, and passed down to my team for re-use as-needed, so unlike yours, mine have seen a lot of mileage.
    Yeah fancy that, and i'm able to back up my statements with facts, you haven't once. Where's the proof that Apple cables break less?

You haven't backed up your statements concerning Apple cable reliability at all, so we're even. This has turned into a "my word against his" argument, with one person (me) staring at several old and still good Apple cables, whilst the other person claims they don't last longer than 2 months for him and that's the norm for Apple cables. Fancy that, perhaps you need to learn how to take care of cables the proper way.
    Considered by whom? I wasn't asking you anyway, even though AppleIDs are usually email addresses.

Apple ID's are considered confidential, as they can be used to expose one's account. If your "friend" at Apple ever tried to lookup another customer's repair history without their knowledge or consent, that is grounds for immediate termination, as it violates Apple's ToS. You should look into it sometime.
    You can't provide proof because you have none. And besides, it was one decade of experience in a previous post. That was a quick decade.

I have a decade of experience with Apple devices starting with the original iPod's, and two decades of overall experience in the IT technical industry, so my comments are correct. Your statement attempts to make it seem false.
    Why didn't you reply to my post regarding all Apple's repair programs? Couldn't you find a good excuse for each one?

You wanted to stray off the Yellow Brick Road by involving other recall programs, and I chose to stay on-point of this article regarding their cables. You do have a point that I will concede that neither Apple, nor anyone else, is perfect, and every manufacturer of every product ever made has issues. However, having been around, using, and supporting various Apple gear and their cables for a decade, I can say with absolute certainty that their products are high quality, right down to their cables. Case in point, you took me to task over the fact I mentioned that almost every Apple cable that came across my desk was mangled. Here's an interesting tidbit, none of those cables, regardless of kinks or punctures, were frayed at the strain relief, and were all still functional.
    I won't blindly defend something if I know it to be poor, and just because you haven't experienced the same problem doesn't mean others haven't. Despite you being adamant, It also doesn't mean its the fault of the user. I guess you think people who are born with a disease are themselves to blame because you don't have the same disease? It must be something they've done/not done!

I find your analogy quite offensive, as you're comparing an issue with cables to me insinuating people who are born with debilitating illnesses should blame themselves, that statement is a blatantly false assumption, and quite an obnoxious one at that.

You seem to selectively ignore my statement that I've seen people baby their device, but torture the cables. Over the years, I've lost count of how many Dell, HP, Acer, Lenovo power brick cables I've seen with mutilated strain relief, and having experienced that with every single previous laptop I've ever owned before my MBP, one of which needed to have the power pack replaced 7 times in 4 years (a Dell BTW), and seeing this repeat "in the wild" on a daily basis, I stand by my statement, and say you don't have a leg to stand on. I've only encountered two 30-pin cables where the strain relief was compromised, but those cables appeared to have been twisted like a kid with a twist tie over and over, so I place no fault on the cable itself but on the irresponsible owner. And let's not even talk about how many 3.5mm audio cables on ear buds and on-ear headphones I've seen looking like complete dog####.
  • Reply 64 of 99
    Finally!! Someone with a brain explains why these new cables are crap. You can't have it both ways. Either you have a solid cable made out of toxic materials or you have a flimsy cable that is non toxic and easy to recycle.

Apple isn't perfect, as evidenced by their terrible cable build quality.

The cables always fray at the end partly due to inadequate strain relief, and due to Greenpeace's constant attemps to make Apple "greener": non-PVC cables are crap.

Non-PVC plastic just doesn't have the flexibility, and so Apple makes their cables out of foamed plastic. Eventually the non-flexible plastic weakens and cracks. That just doesn't happen with PVC. So instead of keeping one cable for years, I get them replaced bi-monthly by driving to the Apple store. That's so much more "green" than using PVC, eh Greenpeace? Why anyone pays any attention to those hippies is beyond me.

I had £65 Apple headphones do the same, Beats headphones probably use PVC and so are most likely better build quality than Apple's.
  • Reply 65 of 99
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    Finally!! Someone with a brain explains why these new cables are crap. You can't have it both ways. Either you have a solid cable made out of toxic materials or you have a flimsy cable that is non toxic and easy to recycle.
    Please tell me you forgot to put /s at the end of that statement...
  • Reply 66 of 99
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Massively overpriced, pathetically overhyped - in summary, just crap; with a different owner now.

And that's Tim Cook for you, Ladies and Gentlemen! Clap clap clap!

I've found the Powerbeats I bought to be of quite high quality, the sound easily rivals anything in the same price range.

They are also very well packaged, unboxing them was like opening an iPhone box.
  • Reply 67 of 99
    n2macsn2macs Posts: 87member
    Ah, then why does the cable have just 1 star with 1000 reviews? With virtually every review saying it's frayed at the strain relief? I make electronics for a living, I think I know how to handle them thanks. This is just really bad design, which you are blindly defending. When thousands of people are having the same identical problem, it's not a usage problem, its a design problem, just as Trumptman said. There was a recall on iMacs for a HDD failure, was that the user's fault too? Maybe they were using them too much? And Apple's battery recalls? Maybe the user shouldn't have let the battery charge up to more than 50% so it wouldn't catch fire. Apple isn't perfect, despite what you like to think. Head in sand comes to mind.
    Hello fanboy king. Even if you did have a cable fail (which you likely have) you'd never admit it, lest you chastise your beloved Apple.
    "GET OUT" generally assumes someone is inside somewhere, and since people come to you with these broken cables, my best assumption is a store. Unless your family comes to you with the cables, and you tell them to "GET OUT" which would be equally unpleasant.
    Do that a few more times and I can guarantee it'll break.
    Apple doesn't make harddrives or batteries. So get your story straight. That problem falls on the manufacture, Apple just gets the blame!
  • Reply 68 of 99
    Ah, then why does the cable have just 1 star with 1000 reviews? With virtually every review saying it's frayed at the strain relief? I make electronics for a living, I think I know how to handle them thanks. This is just really bad design, which you are blindly defending. When thousands of people are having the same identical problem, it's not a usage problem, its a design problem, just as Trumptman said. There was a recall on iMacs for a HDD failure, was that the user's fault too? Maybe they were using them too much? And Apple's battery recalls? Maybe the user shouldn't have let the battery charge up to more than 50% so it wouldn't catch fire. Apple isn't perfect, despite what you like to think. Head in sand comes to mind.
    Hello fanboy king. Even if you did have a cable fail (which you likely have) you'd never admit it, lest you chastise your beloved Apple.
    "GET OUT" generally assumes someone is inside somewhere, and since people come to you with these broken cables, my best assumption is a store. Unless your family comes to you with the cables, and you tell them to "GET OUT" which would be equally unpleasant.
    Do that a few more times and I can guarantee it'll break.

1000 reviews out of how many hundred million that have been sold?

That ratio is very close to zero.
  • Reply 69 of 99
    If these people treat the cables so badly, surely the same problem should occur with other phone manufacturers? Does it? Not that I can find. And surely they'd treat their phones with equal disrespect, but are there huge swathes of complaints over the phones breaking? Nope.

Yep.

I've seen plenty of microUSB sockets damaged from the plug being forced in the wrong way, I don't know if the situation is the same over there but if you read the fine print in the warranty of a certain Korean company whose name starts with S, you'll see they only offer six months on "accessories".
  • Reply 70 of 99
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Imagine if that jealous Dr. musician who wasn't as successful as Dre was in this thread? Too bad he got banned cause I have an extra bag of popcorn in the cupboard.

Speaking of cables I've had the same ipod charging cable for la year and it's been tangled, mangled and strangled. It works like new. it's NOT a Lightning cable though.
  • Reply 71 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I think Apple should lose the "Beats by Dr. Dre" tagline/reference and push the "Beats" name alone. Not write in as the title of the section and not write it on the box or the headphones themselves. Call them Beats. Simple.

The brand name is "Beats by Dr. Dre" and it is very successful and very popular.  Why change it?

• Reply 72 of 99

I wonder if Apple will continue work on Beats Audio for cars.

Apple could introduce an automobile entertainment system where CarPlay can snap right in.

Time will tell.

• Reply 73 of 99
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    that isn't what payola means. payola is a secret payment to someone (a DJ) for promotion. there's nothing secret about the public purchase.
    I used the term loosely because of Iovine and Dre's connection to major record labels. Apple wanted Beats Music ($500m) only but Iovine and Dre forced them to buy Beats Electronics($2.5B) as well. Apple bought the latter because they had spare pocket change, was a fair deal, weren't going to lose money, and weren't obligated to put the Apple/iTunes brand on those products. Apple bought Beats Music to have a presence in the on-demand streaming market but are very unlikely to promote Beats Music over iTunes. Beats Music and Beats Electronics are there at Apple but don't expect anything major to promote the Beats brand.
  • Reply 74 of 99
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    darkvader wrote: »
    ireland wrote: »

I think Apple should lose the "Beats by Dr. Dre" tagline/reference and push the "Beats" name alone. Not write in as the title of the section and not write it on the box or the headphones themselves. Call them Beats. Simple.

Seeing this got me curious, what did he get his doctorate in? 

So I checked.  His Wikipedia article is really unclear on whether he actually graduated from high school.  No college education, certainly no doctorate.  He doesn't even have an honorary doctorate.  He's not a doctor of anything, he has no business using that title.

Maybe he got his inspiration from Gloria Estefan.
  • Reply 75 of 99
    I can see in the future, maybe not so distant, Apple beginning to transition Beats Music away from the Beats brand by calling the product "iTunes On-Demand (formerly Beats Music)".
  • Reply 76 of 99
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    I'll see your anecdote and raise you -- all of my original lightning cables are in perfect shape and work flawlessly.

what am I doing wrong?

Keeping them perfectly straight or not using them at all :smokey:

magman1979 wrote: »
    Mine have been well used by their previous owners, and passed down to my team for re-use as-needed, so unlike yours, mine have seen a lot of mileage.

So you don't work in a store, it's not a family affair, and now you have these things passed down to "your team". So again I ask where do you work where you get cables passed down to you and you're able to tell people to "GET OUT"? A school? Some IT department? Your argument is falling apart faster than lightning cables, you should probably give up. How do you know if my cables have had high mileage?
    You haven't backed up your statements concerning Apple cable reliability at all, so we're even. This has turned into a "my word against his" argument, with one person (me) staring at several old and still good Apple cables, whilst the other person claims they don't last longer than 2 months for him and that's the norm for Apple cables. Fancy that, perhaps you need to learn how to take care of cables the proper way.

You're just saying the same thing repeatedly because you have no real argument and are blindly defending Apple. There're posts on this very thread stating the cables are crap quality, but you chose to decide that people must be mistreating their cables (but not the devices, no one ever mistreats those). These are facts, proof people are having problems with the cables. There really is no point in discussing this further with you because you seem to think you're some kind of God of cables, and anyone who has a problem with their cable/device has to have been mistreating it. Right. If that's the case, why does warranty exist for anything? Because of course everything is perfect and never breaks. You admit you see mangled cables but still think they're top quality. You're so blinded by fanboyism you can't see the forest for the trees.
    Apple ID's are considered confidential, as they can be used to expose one's account. If your "friend" at Apple ever tried to lookup another customer's repair history without their knowledge or consent, that is grounds for immediate termination, as it violates Apple's ToS. You should look into it sometime.
    Again, nothing to do with you, but please find and quote the clause this violates within the ToS? I'd like to know how you "expose one's account" with just an email address.
    I have a decade of experience with Apple devices starting with the original iPod's, and two decades of overall experience in the IT technical industry, so my comments are correct. Your statement attempts to make it seem false.

Twisting your words to try to counter your previous mistakes.
    You wanted to stray off the Yellow Brick Road by involving other recall programs, and I chose to stay on-point of this article regarding their cables. You do have a point that I will concede that neither Apple, nor anyone else, is perfect, and every manufacturer of every product ever made has issues. However, having been around, using, and supporting various Apple gear and their cables for a decade, I can say with absolute certainty that their products are high quality, right down to their cables.

Yes you can say that, it doesn't make it true. You tried to attack me for showing previous recalls that involved parts not made by Apple, claiming on your high-horse that those were non-Apple failures, claiming Apple stuff doesn't fail because its high quality. So I found failings on parts made by Apple, and you say I'm off topic. Plus the point of this article has nothing to do with cables, it's to do with Beats showing up on the Apple Store.
    Case in point, you took me to task over the fact I mentioned that almost every Apple cable that came across my desk was mangled. Here's an interesting tidbit, none of those cables, regardless of kinks or punctures, were frayed at the strain relief, and were all still functional.
    Of course.

Like Tallest Skil, if you had an Apple device burn your house down you'd never admit it.
    I find your analogy quite offensive, as you're comparing an issue with cables to me insinuating people who are born with debilitating illnesses should blame themselves, that statement is a blatantly false assumption, and quite an obnoxious one at that.

I'm sorry you're so sensitive. You're the one blaming the user for every fault, not me.
    You seem to selectively ignore my statement that I've seen people baby their device, but torture the cables. Over the years, I've lost count of how many Dell, HP, Acer, Lenovo power brick cables I've seen with mutilated strain relief, and having experienced that with every single previous laptop I've ever owned before my MBP, one of which needed to have the power pack replaced 7 times in 4 years (a Dell BTW), and seeing this repeat "in the wild" on a daily basis, I stand by my statement, and say you don't have a leg to stand on. I've only encountered two 30-pin cables where the strain relief was compromised, but those cables appeared to have been twisted like a kid with a twist tie over and over, so I place no fault on the cable itself but on the irresponsible owner. And let's not even talk about how many 3.5mm audio cables on ear buds and on-ear headphones I've seen looking like complete dog####.

Yes of course some failures are due to mistreatment. But not all. I replied before regarding "baby their device" (and I'm just repeating myself over and over, you seem to have a memory that lasts approximately one post). I asked why is it everyone babies the devices and not the cables? Where's your proof of this? Why don't you see mass problems with cheap eBay cables? Why are my old PVC 30-pin connectors still going strong but the two month old Lightning cables still breaking? Do I somehow mistreat the Lightning cables but not the 30-pin ones?

A disproportionate number of Apple cables break due to no fault of the user. I do find it amusing how you just dismiss previous strain relief problems as in the past as now fixed, when it's obviously still a problem.

I've noticed on your posting history that every time anyone says anything that could be construed as even the slightest bit negative toward Apple, you're on them like a ton of bricks. If Apple devices released toxic gas after a year you'd say people should replace them after 10 months, there's not a fault. I am a fan of Apple, but I'm not blindly following and agreeing to everything they do. I can see and admit when they make a mistake, admitting your mistake is the best way to improve upon something. Ignoring it with fingers in your ears singing lalalalala isn't the way to improve. Luckily Apple isn't like you, they do listen to their customers and they will admit when they made a mistake.
    Please tell me you forgot to put /s at the end of that statement...

Since you seem to have no knowledge of plastics nor engineering, I don't see how you can really argue your case at a level more than "I haven't had this problem so no one else should either". In fact you aren't arguing it at any other level. Explain to me how stiff foamed non-PVC plastic is able to bend back and forth many times without fracturing? Even a child can see that a problem someone else has might not affect them.
    n2macs wrote: »
    Apple doesn't make harddrives or batteries. So get your story straight. That problem falls on the manufacture, Apple just gets the blame!

I linked a list of other problems with logic boards and plastics, I won't repeat myself again.
    hill60 wrote: »
    1000 reviews out of how many hundred million that have been sold?

That ratio is very close to zero.

Because everyone who has a problem goes on the Apple site and complains, of course.
    hill60 wrote: »
    Yep.

I've seen plenty of microUSB sockets damaged from the plug being forced in the wrong way, I don't know if the situation is the same over there but if you read the fine print in the warranty of a certain Korean company whose name starts with S, you'll see they only offer six months on "accessories".

Yeah micro-USB is crap too. That's another poor engineering design, to make the plug close enough to symmetrical that it can be forced in back to front. Old Firewire 400 sockets had this problem too.

British citizens actually have 7 years to claim for certain defects, such as poor design which would have been present in a device when delivered.
  • Reply 77 of 99
    Yeah micro-USB is crap too. That's another poor engineering design, to make the plug close enough to symmetrical that it can be forced in back to front.

So you're one of those people that don't bother to look how to plug it in but simply use brute force?
  • Reply 78 of 99
    philboogie wrote: »
    So you're one of those people that don't bother to look how to plug it in but simply use brute force?

Nope. I'm careful to plug the full size USB-A plugs in the right way first time too. But you can't assume all users treat things with care, they don't. And unfortunately it's often the manufacturer who has to pick up the bill, though if they designed the socket better in the first place to be more robust, the problem wouldn't occur.

USB-micro is awfully flimsy, miniscule pins in the plug that deform and break with way too much ease. Lightning's connector is 1000 times better and more robust than USB mini or micro. Just a shame about the cable itself.
  • Reply 79 of 99

Nope. I'm careful to plug the full size USB-A plugs in the right way first time too. But you can't assume all users treat things with care, they don't. And unfortunately it's often the manufacturer who has to pick up the bill, though if they designed the socket better in the first place to be more robust, the problem wouldn't occur.

USB-micro is awfully flimsy, miniscule pins in the plug that deform and break with way too much ease. Lightning's connector is 1000 times better and more robust than USB mini or micro. Just a shame about the cable itself.

Uhm, so how do you know "it can be forced in back to front"? I can't simply assume you've never forced it in but only think people do this...

Fully agree on the crap design: all plug ought to be inserted any way they like, not just 1 way, or 2, when flipped. They should make them all like headphone jacks. Those can be inserted without looking.
  • Reply 80 of 99
    Uhm, so how do you know "it can be forced in back to front"? I can't simply assume you've never forced it in but only think people do this...

I think the only micro USB socketed device I own is the AppleTV, which I've never plugged into anything except the TV and mains. But I have seen USB micro sockets/plugs on Android phones and thought how flimsy they look. I've seen photos of deformed USB micro sockets too, they're just too small to be tough enough for daily unplugging/replugging.