Apple highlights corporate diversity with new showcase of company vice presidents

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2014
Apple on Friday added a new tier to its official leadership page, listing five corporate vice presidents and spotlighting some of its diversity beyond the more well-known CEO and senior vice presidents.

Paul Deneve of special projects, Linda Jackson of environmental initiatives, Joel Podolny of Apple University, Johny Srouji of hardware technologies, and Denise Young Smith of human resources are all now part of the "Apple Leadership" page. Two of them --?Deneve and Jackson -- are recent hires to the company, with both having joined in 2013.

The five new faces on the page are also noteworthy because of the inclusion of two women. Previously Angela Ahrendts, the head of Apple's retail operations, was the only woman pictured for the company's executive profiles.

Also listed on Apple's leadership page, without accompanying picture thumbnails, is the company's board of directors, which also recently saw a change: Susan L. Wagner, co-founder and director of BlackRock, joined the board last month, replacing Bill Campbell and bringing a second woman onto the oversight group.

The lack of diversity on both Apple's executive team and its board of directors was highlighted by critics earlier this year. The company responded by revising its corporate charter to explicitly say it will consider women and minorities as board candidates.

And Ahrendts officially joined Apple's senior leadership team in April, making her the only woman among the upper echelon of the company's management.

The updated Apple Leadership page comes a few days after the company published a report detailing the diversity of its workforce. Apple revealed that its U.S.-based employees are overwhelmingly white and male, and CEO Tim Cook made it clear he is "not satisfied" with the current demographic at his company.

"We are making progress, and we're committed to being as innovative in advancing diversity as we are in developing our products," Cook said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    jd mbajd mba Posts: 38member
    Look. We have a bald guy, a fat guy, a skinny guy, a woman with bad hair......what the f do you want more from us?
  • Reply 2 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JD MBA View Post

Look. We have a bald guy, a fat guy, a skinny guy, a woman with bad hair......what the f do you want more from us?

LMAO!!!!

• Reply 3 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JD MBA View Post

Not to mention... two are leaning left, two slightly to the right and one just about straight up the middle!   :smokey: 

• Reply 4 of 60

Diversity = Different.

Think Different.

• Reply 5 of 60

Three are showing their teeth; two aren't. Well done on the diversity front, Apple.

• Reply 6 of 60

Why no gingers?

• Reply 7 of 60

Friendly proofing for the AI editors: you mistakenly refer to Lisa Jackson as Linda Jackson in the article body.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone 

Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat years ago. Is that what happened?

• Reply 8 of 60
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Why no gingers?

I think albinos are woefully underrepresented.
  • Reply 9 of 60
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Are there any left handed, transgendered midgets with red hair who are less than three feet tall working for Apple?

If not, then why the hell not?

As a representative for the organization that represents left handed, transgendered midgets with red hair who are less than three feet tall, I demand an immediate explanation from Apple as to why such horrible discrimination is still allowed to take place in the twenty first century. It is a complete travesty. Our organization and in fact our entire community will not stand for it any longer. Join me brothers and sisters as we have the power to change the world.

After consulting with my fellow colleague and race baiting friend, Jesse Jackson, my organization has now decided to shake you down Apple. You have hereby been warned.

Swarms of midgets will now picket and protest outside Apple headquarters 24-7, until our message gets across and until our human rights and dignity is respected.

We demand that there be at least one midget on the board of directors, and we also demand that at least 25% of all urinals in Apple facilities be lowered by no less than fourteen inches.  There should also be at least one midget working in every single Apple retail store. That is just some of our demands. We will be monitoring future developments and we hope to see positive improvements when Apple releases their next diversity report.

Thank You.

• Reply 10 of 60
    And 100% of them are different. That's really all that should matter.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    is Apple the only company being targeted for this crap?
  • Reply 12 of 60
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Are there any left handed, transgendered midgets with red hair who are less than three feet tall working for Apple?

If not, then why the hell not?

As a representative for the organization that represents left handed, transgendered midgets with red hair who are less than three feet tall, I demand an immediate explanation from Apple as to why such horrible discrimination is still allowed to take place in the twenty first century. It is a complete travesty. Our organization and in fact our entire community will not stand for it any longer. Join me brothers and sisters as we have the power to change the world.

After consulting with my fellow colleague and race baiting friend, Jesse Jackson, my organization has now decided to shake you down Apple. You have hereby been warned.

Swarms of midgets will now picket and protest outside Apple headquarters 24-7, until our message gets across and until our human rights and dignity is respected.

We demand that there be at least one midget on the board of directors, and we also demand that at least 25% of all urinals in Apple facilities be lowered by no less than fourteen inches.  There should also be at least one midget working in every single Apple retail store. That is just some of our demands. We will be monitoring future developments and we hope to see positive improvements when Apple releases their next diversity report.

Thank You.

Some people with dwarfism prefer to be called "little people".

• Reply 13 of 60
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by city View Post

“Fun size.”

• Reply 14 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

And 100% of them are different. That's really all that should matter.

Just as they would be if they were all clean-shaven white guys aged 55 who lived in Palo Alto.

• Reply 15 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by city View Post

“Fun size.”

Bite size.

• Reply 16 of 60
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    cali wrote: »

Extortionists and blackmailers only target companies with a lot of money.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    There's still a long way to go. Apple needs to diversify more, there are a lot of talented non-whites out there...

This article shows the numbers: http://www.opptrends.com/2014/08/apple-inc-aapl-diversity-report-workplace-dominated-by-white-males/
  • Reply 18 of 60
    I think albinos are woefully underrepresented.

Bigfoots need management opportunities too.
  • Reply 19 of 60
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Nope it is the latest leftist BS meant to make a better world at the expense of intelligence. Apple would do well to concentrate on intelligent and productive people. There are enough to go around.
    cali wrote: »
  • Reply 20 of 60
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'd be very happy to see apple import some Thai and Turkish woman. Why not go for the best instead of settling for less?