Display production for Apple's 'iPhone 6' needs last-minute redesign, Reuters says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Here is my theory on this. 

We know the debate about the sapphire display is it in or out, or it only high end or all phones. If we assume it is in and on all phones, and it such new technologies both from fabricating the crystal as was as manufacturing it into a final display we all know that none of this comes easy. With that being the case I would suspect that Apple had plan B and C in the works just in case something happen and Plan B & C most likely diverted back the what they already use which and have experience with was GG3. Plan B could be simple scale production to higher end phones, thus puting GG3 on the lower end and Plan C is complete failure of Plan A thus everything is going to GG3. They may be at the point of Plan B. 

The reason I said this is Corning appears to be under the impression that Apple plans to use GG3, if you read between the lines of all the public statements. If one of their largest user of GG3 plan to move away they most likely would have put out an earning warning, which they did not, unless Apple plan to drop the hammer on this without them knowing, which I highly doubt since they too know the same rumors as us. I hope the would be smart enough to put 2 and 2 together when Apple was not talking to them about a larger displace glass.

• Reply 22 of 54
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Maybe the serious problem is that they made 5.5" screens only to discover that a 5.5" phone is only a rumor.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I think they will. Screen sizes have a practical component but there is also a fashion component to it. If Apple discontinued a size that millions of people love, and the larger size is or over time becomes less popular than expected, it would be a colossal blunder for Apple and I just don't see that happening. Management isn't perfect but they are doing a lot of things very correctly and creating products that people love and are extremely loyal to.

It would be relatively easy to update the internals of the smaller size, easier I'm sure than the logistics they're going through with the new iPhone 6. The iPod ultimately morphed into all kinds of shapes and sizes that were continued concurrently, so why not the iPhone given enough time? I would not be totally shocked if Apple surprised everyone on September 9 with the news that they will now have 4 sizes, including a revived 4/4s form factor and/or screen size and an update of the 5 series. iPad mini, iPhone mini. Why not?

Disclaimer: I may be biased because today I am retiring my 2008 iMac and buying a brand new 21.5" iMac. I'm very excited about it! :)

Good points. Dito on the iPod sizes. Heck, they still sell the old school 160GB HDD 'Classic' model. If the iPhone becomes available in a 128GB NAND I see the 'Classic' either being discontinued...or upgraded to a 1TB HDD.

As for your new Mac; somehow it's a sentimental moment to shut down your old one. But: enjoy the new one!
  • Reply 24 of 54
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Are there 1TB drives available at 1.8"?

• Reply 25 of 54
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Is it just me, or is there a similar just PANIC!!! story right before any major new Apple launch? And when all is said and done, the product launched successfully and smashes all previous sales records. Wasn't it also said Apple had "extremely limited" supplies of the 5/5s, then they go ahead to sell 5 million in the first weekend?

• Reply 26 of 54
    sidstesidste Posts: 25member
    Apple is doomed.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Are there 1TB drives available at 1.8"?

320, made in 2009. I take it they’re no longer being made.

2.5 is at 2TB and 3.5 is at 6TB. Neither of those are apparently available to consumers.

• Reply 28 of 54
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Is it just me, or is there a similar just PANIC!!! story right before any major new Apple launch? And when all is said and done, the product launched successfully and smashes all previous sales records. Wasn't it also said Apple had "extremely limited" supplies of the 5/5s, then they go ahead to sell 5 million in the first weekend?

no not just you, surprised Reuters got taken though...

Fool me once, fool me twice ....

• Reply 29 of 54
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Absolute FUD.
    Ridiculous that they want us to believe that in june apple suddenly realized the back lighting is not correct... Lol...
  • Reply 30 of 54
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    maltz wrote: »
    That was the problem from early in the Summer that they already fixed.  This is a new, different, problem, according to the article.

I find it very strange that Apple didn't work out the problem before going into production.

Now what kind of company do that, ah yes only Apple because it is run by people who know the last thing about manufacturing.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    crowley wrote: »
    rogifan wrote: »
    Gotta love these rumors that use words like "scant" and "unclear". Seems to me there's an agenda beyond just click bait/page views. These rumors have little information that is solid but they serve their purpose of creating D
    Forgive my ignorance, but what does D&G stand for, in that context?  I've never seem that acronym before.

Your ignorance is forgiven—for now.

Dungeons & 'Gons.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    pmz wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    I sure hope they'll also make a 4" model with updated internals.
    Unless you consider a revised 5c with 5s internals to be an "updated 4" model"...then I'm sorry to tell you that absolutely will not be happening.

...says the voice of speculation.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Are there 1TB drives available at 1.8"?</span>

320, made in 2009. I take it they’re no longer being made.
    2.5 is at 2TB and 3.5 is at 6TB. Neither of those are apparently available to consumers.

I doubt they would have turned a profit on a run of just 320 units.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    If Apple produce a 5.5" iPhone, perish the thought, they should charge $200 more for it than the better sized versions of 4" or 4.7".
  • Reply 35 of 54
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Sounds like somebody trying to short AAPL to me.

The stock actually went higher after they discuss this on CNBC

• Reply 36 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I doubt they would have turned a profit on a run of just 320 units.

@Benjamin Frost, I believe @Tallest Skil was referring to the size of the drive: 320GB, not 320 units.

That said, I have wondered why they are still keeping the classic iPod around.

• Reply 37 of 54
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Despite the best efforts of analysts, products that Apple is actually creating are actually being created and products they are not creating are not being created.

Despite you're best efforts to implied there wont be a 5.5" model, I am betting my dehydrated orange that there will one.

Note:  I forgot a small orange behind my monitor at work and 6 months later I found that thing near the PC ventilation output. Its very precious to me :-)

• Reply 38 of 54
    "Let's go into mass production right now. Hmm, that's odd, the screen isn't as bright as we thought it was. Let's redesign."

Dude. Total agreement with all the skeptics here. Chances of this seem slim. But, if there are 2 sources, then the chances of *something* having happened are increased, if they actually said the same thing.

If the September 9 event that has not been announced is postponed ... getting tired ... cannot overcome idiocy ... (flops over dead)
  • Reply 39 of 54
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Your ignorance is forgiven—for now.

Dungeons & 'Gons.

What on earth is wrong with you that you keep making these pithy little comments?  You're not impressing anyone, attention seeking troll.

• Reply 40 of 54

Everyone who believes they won't be making a 5.5-inch iPhone because you don't want one is clearly thinking logically.

I mean, why would Apple ignore its own data that shows the premium 7-8" tablet market is being eroded by the booming demand for phablets and sell a phablet for twice the money it gets for the iPad Mini when it could simply pass on that market... After all, some of you don't want one!