Apple activates iPhone 5 battery replacement program, to swap out affected parts for free

Comments

• Reply 61 of 89
    Quote:

Off topic: Has anyone seen an Apple Store employee over 40? When they first opened, there were some, but they don't seem to exist any longer.

I have not been to an Apple Store for some time. My wife and I went to get her iPhone battery replaced, we wasted our time since we had to wait for a genius to see us, just to order the battery. Anyway, during the wait my wife and I were commenting on how young and inexperienced was the staff. Some did not have nice manners nor knew how to treat customers. Several were very disgusting to see, with weird piercings, odd colored hair, weird haircuts/hairdoos, and tattoos. All the time we waited, my wife wanted run out of the store. Fortunately, the genius that approached us was normal looking guy....

• Reply 62 of 89
    semi_guy wrote: »
     Off topic: Has anyone seen an Apple Store employee over 40? When they first opened, there were some, but they don't seem to exist any longer.
    I have not been to an Apple Store for some time. My wife and I went to get her iPhone battery replaced, we wasted our time since we had to wait for a genius to see us, just to order the battery. Anyway, during the wait my wife and I were commenting on how young and inexperienced was the staff. Some did not have nice manners nor knew how to treat customers. Several were very disgusting to see, with weird piercings, odd colored hair, weird haircuts/hairdoos, and tattoos. All the time we waited, my wife wanted run out of the store. Fortunately, the genius that approached us was normal looking guy....

I feel for you.

And your example is why I always wait for a week before booking an appointment for this sort of thing, in order to let the frenzy die down and to let order be restored.
  • Reply 63 of 89
    And, of course, if the inspection shows "liquid damage" (not specified, just "liquid damage") they will refuse to replace the admittedly defective battery, and instead you will be offered the opportunity to buy a refurb unit for $225.
  • Reply 64 of 89
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    droidftw wrote: »

...those in the US who have the same problem will likely...

2) Signed up for a new 2 yr. contract last year or will be doing so this year and will therefore not need a replacement battery.

Did all of those users who upgraded destroy their old phone? Not likely. The phone will have been passed down or re-sold and I'm sure the current owners of the device will be very happy about this news!
  • Reply 65 of 89
    mazecookie wrote: »
    Apple will only refund the cost of the battery replacement if it was replaced by Apple.

Unauthorized replacements will not be qualified for a refund.

If you kick up enough of a fuss, most stores will probably cave and issue at least a partial refund (up to Apple's internal cost on the replacement batteries) - or go ahead and replace your after market battery with an official apple battery at no cost. The official policy will be to "not reimburse" - but most store managers will do something for you if you approach them the right way.
  • Reply 66 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tenly View Post

If you kick up enough of a fuss, most stores will probably cave and issue at least a partial refund (up to Apple's internal cost on the replacement batteries) - or go ahead and replace your after market battery with an official apple battery at no cost. The official policy will be to "not reimburse" - but most store managers will do something for you if you approach them the right way.

Unfortunately not. It is pretty clear cut with unauthorised device modifications.

In terms of replacing the unofficial battery with a new. Apple employees will not go near the device with a bargepole. They don't even know if it's safe to touch the battery. They will not go open a device that has any 3rd party parts installed under any circumstance.

In terms of the partial refund, there is no system to accommodate that. Since the owner of the device didn't spend any money at the store (and a part isn't being returned for credit) their is no system that allows money to leave the store. The Apple Store systems don't just allow managers to give money, unfortunately.

You may be able to achieve other things, but in terms of getting it swapped out with an official battery, or leaving with any money from a partial refund, it just can't happen.

• Reply 67 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MazeCookie View Post

Unfortunately not. It is pretty clear cut with unauthorised device modifications.

In terms of replacing the unofficial battery with a new. Apple employees will not go near the device with a bargepole. They don't even know if it's safe to touch the battery. They will not go open a device that has any 3rd party parts installed under any circumstance.

Well, it appears that we're both wrong!  You for saying that it won't happen.  My for claiming that "most" stores will do it.

I have personal experience that proves that at least one store will do it - or more accurately - has done it (for my father - back in April of this year - for this exact issue; an iPhone 5 that I gave him when I upgraded to the 5s).

I have no proof that this next approach will work, but:  if I had a phone that was on the list for a free battery replacement, but I didn't actually require one because I had already paid to replace it with an aftermarket battery - I'm 99% sure that I could get some sort of compensation from Apple - whether it was having them ship me the replacement battery or giving me an Apple Store gift card for 10 or 20 bucks.

Approach 1:

Try to have them ship me a replacement battery by calling Apple Support and claiming that I live (or am temporarily stationed) in a remote area that is several hours drive from the nearest Apple store and that it would be impossible for me to travel to a store for replacement.

Approach 2:

Play stupid and just show up with the phone at an Apple Store with the phone and it's aftermarket battery.  They won't know it's an aftermarket battery until they open it up - if I play it extremely polite, very nice and personable, but at the same time extremely stupid/naive - there is a small chance they'll feel sorry for me and replace it.

Approach 3:

Take the battery out at home before you take the phone into the Apple Store.  Zero risk to the employee of 'catching fire'.  I acknowledge that there is still no original battery for them to see - but that is not necessarily a deal-breaker.  With this approach, I would again play stupid and tell them that the phone wouldn't power up at all - so your techie neighbor opened it up to check the battery.  He tested it and found it was no good, so he through it out and was going to help you purchase a replacement - and then 2 days later you got the recall notice - so it was all just a very honest mistake!

I really think that approach 3 has the best chance of working - although most people are probably not comfortable opening up their iPhone.

The real point I'm trying to make is that regardless of what is "written in stone", there is still a degree of discretion that store managers and customer service people are able to exercise.  If you go in with a bad attitude, demanding that something be done - you usually won't get very far - but if you're extra friendly and play dumb, you'll be surprised how much help people will be willing to give you.

Approach 4:

If you know a really hot girl in her 20's or early 30's, give her the phone to take in for you.  For some reason, they are often given a lot of extra latitude\leniency in these things as opposed to what a 40-something male would receive.

• Reply 68 of 89
    Quote:

Well, it appears that we're both wrong!  You for saying that it won't happen.  My for claiming that "most" stores will do it.

I have personal experience that proves that at least one store will do it - or more accurately - has done it (for my father - back in April of this year - for this exact issue; an iPhone 5 that I gave him when I upgraded to the 5s).

I have no proof that this next approach will work, but:  if I had a phone that was on the list for a free battery replacement, but I didn't actually require one because I had already paid to replace it with an aftermarket battery - I'm 99% sure that I could get some sort of compensation from Apple - whether it was having them ship me the replacement battery or giving me an Apple Store gift card for 10 or 20 bucks.

Approach 1:

Try to have them ship me a replacement battery by calling Apple Support and claiming that I live (or am temporarily stationed) in a remote area that is several hours drive from the nearest Apple store and that it would be impossible for me to travel to a store for replacement.

Approach 2:

Play stupid and just show up with the phone at an Apple Store with the phone and it's aftermarket battery.  They won't know it's an aftermarket battery until they open it up - if I play it extremely polite, very nice and personable, but at the same time extremely stupid/naive - there is a small chance they'll feel sorry for me and replace it.

Approach 3:

Take the battery out at home before you take the phone into the Apple Store.  Zero risk to the employee of 'catching fire'.  I acknowledge that there is still no original battery for them to see - but that is not necessarily a deal-breaker.  With this approach, I would again play stupid and tell them that the phone wouldn't power up at all - so your techie neighbor opened it up to check the battery.  He tested it and found it was no good, so he through it out and was going to help you purchase a replacement - and then 2 days later you got the recall notice - so it was all just a very honest mistake!

I really think that approach 3 has the best chance of working - although most people are probably not comfortable opening up their iPhone.

The real point I'm trying to make is that regardless of what is "written in stone", there is still a degree of discretion that store managers and customer service people are able to exercise.  If you go in with a bad attitude, demanding that something be done - you usually won't get very far - but if you're extra friendly and play dumb, you'll be surprised how much help people will be willing to give you.

Approach 4:

If you know a really hot girl in her 20's or early 30's, give her the phone to take in for you.  For some reason, they are often given a lot of extra latitude\leniency in these things as opposed to what a 40-something male would receive.

I only said what I said in my previous post because I work at an Apple store and I know what systems are available and what systems managers have available to them. Managers have their own limitations, that do not have free reign, everything that is done needs to be processed on EasyPay, and EasyPay puts up walls so these types of things can't just happen, even if a manager would love to do that.

In your experience, you had what done? a battery replacement or a partial refund?

With approach 1, unfortunately users are not authorised to repair their own device, apple would not send out the part. If you lived far from an Apple Store, they would schedule a courier to pick up your phone, and depending on your warranty status, also drop off another phone to use in the meantime whilst it is repaired.

Approach 2 is the most likely to work. But even so, the issue remains. When they setup the repair, and they choose a battery replacement repair. They will be prompted to enter the serial number for the old battery. And when it's invalid, the repair won't be able to be completed. And they can't just give you a battery, because each serial number needs to be accounted for, and a battery can't just go missing.

Approach 3 has the same issue as 2, no serial number to replace.

Don't get me wrong, the managers have wiggle room with a lot of things, but things like repairs are solid systems that can't be overridden.

Imagine the same system for whole device replacements. The store can't give an iPhone out without an iPhone being taken back in, without the other iPhones serial number, the system (even with a manager) doesn't allow it, otherwise stores could give iPhone's away free when they feel like it.

It's possible to give store credit away, but money, cash, cannot be given away.

• Reply 69 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MazeCookie View Post

I only said what I said in my previous post because I work at an Apple store and I know what systems are available and what systems managers have available to them. Managers have their own limitations, that do not have free reign, everything that is done needs to be processed on EasyPay, and EasyPay puts up walls so these types of things can't just happen, even if a manager would love to do that.

In your experience, you had what done? a battery replacement or a partial refund?

It's possible to give store credit away, but money, cash, cannot be given away.

My Dad has one of the iPhone 5's with the battery issue.  Before the battery issue was acknowledged, he purchased a replacement battery from the Internet.  He's retired now, but he was a licensed electronics technician for the majority of his career; thus he felt quite comfortable doing the battery replacement himself.  In any case, it didn't work.  The phone wouldn't power up at all after installing the new battery.  I wasn't with him when he went in to the Apple Store, so I don't know exactly what he said to them, but he ended up leaving the store with a working phone containing an Apple battery for no charge.

A week later he had to take the phone back in because the power button stopped working.  They charged him around $200 to fix it.

3 weeks later, he got a phone call from Apple saying that they had identified a problem with the wake buttons in the series of phones that his was a part of and that they were going to be sending him a cash refund for the repair he had paid for!

• Reply 70 of 89
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    jack mac wrote: »
    Bravo Apple!

Not so Bravo. I am seriously disappointed in this program.

My iPhone 5's battery does great from 100% down to 35% or so and then goes from 35% to 0% in a couple of minutes. In other words, I have about 65% capacity left.

Apple "diagnostics" claimed the battery was at 95%. BS. Apple has something seriously wrong with the tool they are qualifying potential units to be applicable for this replacement.
  • Reply 71 of 89
    Quote:

My Dad has one of the iPhone 5's with the battery issue.  Before the battery issue was acknowledged, he purchased a replacement battery from the Internet.  He's retired now, but he was a licensed electronics technician for the majority of his career; thus he felt quite comfortable doing the battery replacement himself.  In any case, it didn't work.  The phone wouldn't power up at all after installing the new battery.  I wasn't with him when he went in to the Apple Store, so I don't know exactly what he said to them, but he ended up leaving the store with a working phone containing an Apple battery for no charge.

A week later he had to take the phone back in because the power button stopped working.  They charged him around $200 to fix it.

3 weeks later, he got a phone call from Apple saying that they had identified a problem with the wake buttons in the series of phones that his was a part of and that they were going to be sending him a cash refund for the repair he had paid for!

I see, interesting. I'm not quite sure how that happened, obviously it's good that it did though!

The only thing I can think it may of been was a full device replacement and the battery slipped through the net. But I can't be sure.

Although, if that is the case where he got a device replacement, I would think that is because it wasn't powering on at all. They would most likely check for liquid damage and then swap it.

And yeah the lock button was definitely a full unit replacement. It's crazy how things turn out, I bet he was glad to get that phone call.

I guess we'll have to see, I haven't been to work since the program was started, and they're may be a facility for third party batteries, it's just I highly doubt it as it's usually a huge no-no.

• Reply 72 of 89
    tenly wrote: »

I see, interesting. I'm not quite sure how that happened, obviously it's good that it did though!

The only thing I can think it may of been was a full device replacement and the battery slipped through the net. But I can't be sure.
    Although, if that is the case where he got a device replacement, I would think that is because it wasn't powering on at all. They would most likely check for liquid damage and then swap it.

And yeah the lock button was definitely a full unit replacement. It's crazy how things turn out, I bet he was glad to get that phone call.

I guess we'll have to see, I haven't been to work since the program was started, and they're may be a facility for third party batteries, it's just I highly doubt it as it's usually a huge no-no.

Wait a sec. The power button replacement was an official Apple programme. They didn't replace the whole unit, just the power button. It wasn't done instore; they had to send the units off to third-party repairers.
  • Reply 73 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Wait a sec. The power button replacement was an official Apple programme. They didn't replace the whole unit, just the power button. It wasn't done instore; they had to send the units off to third-party repairers.

From the timeline he posted, I'm guessing his fathers phone was taken in store 3 weeks prior to the sleep wake button replacement program became active. The only repair available before the program was a full device replacement. 

• Reply 74 of 89
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    I had my battery replaced in store on Saturday with no issues and a minimal wait. Thank you Apple.

I'm always amazed at how people, after they've violated the warranty or TOU by doing repairs themselves, then expect a company to bend the rules to accommodate them. The sense of entitlement these days is extremely unjustified.
  • Reply 75 of 89
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    rosujin wrote: »
    I just got mine replaced today at The Grove in Los Angeles. The "genius" told me that I was his first battery swap. There was a laptop on the table with a browser open to the page where you enter the serial number and confirm eligibility for the free swap.

Be sure to back up your phone before going to the Apple Store. They told me that they will "attempt" the battery swap in-house, but if it fails, they'll give you a loaner phone, wipe your iPhone memory clean and send it out to be serviced. They had me come back in an hour for my phone and there were no issues.

On a side note, I saw Jason Schwartzman (Bored to Death, Grand Budapest Hotel) waiting for his MBP when I returned for my phone.

Thanks for outlining the procedure from Apple's side. Have my appointment booked for Saturday, good to know that even if there's complications I won't be without a phone for more than an hour or so.
  • Reply 76 of 89

Does this happen often or just once?  Try re-orienting where you lay your phone while you sleep.  This isn't anything to do with iPhone, it has to do with digital radios, which your iPhone is only one.  What happens is:

You lay the phone down and go to bed.  You got unlucky and laid the phone down where (put your horrible wireless carrier here) has no signal or a very poor signal.  The link between you and them is unstable and you drop off the carrier's control channel.  Your iPhone notes this and attempts to reconnect so you can send/receive those sext messages with your honey(s).  The signal sucks, you crash with others and the attempts fail.  The phone keeps trying.  It gets connected, sort of, but the dropping repeats all night.  It knows you'll be pissed at it so it keeps trying.....

Every time it connects, disconnects, retries, communicates, over and over, the second biggest battery hog in the box (after the display light which is worse) goes to full power trying to get the stupid carrier, (put your horrible wireless carrier here), to connect to his little tower.  By morning, the poor phone has been up all night trying to make it right, even iPhone.  When you pick it up, the signal goes from near zero to great, but you curse because the battery that's been drained by the transmitter trying to get the horrible antenna connected, has finally been drained, sweating and panting in defeat.  You plug in, swearing the battery is bad.....but this wasn't true yesterday, or last week....???

Before handing next months paycheck to Apple, let's try to MOVE where you lay it at night to a new location, near an outside wall, then note the signal strength meter on the phone and move it around for the best signal strength.  If the signal sucks everywhere, you need a new carrier better than (put your horrible wireless carrier here).

• Reply 77 of 89

As a fair daytrader, I'd like you to know one way to lose a pile of money owning stocks is "stockholder company loyalty".  I don't even like to hold stock over the weekends, and don't love any of them.  Companies are NOT your "friend".....EVER.

• Reply 78 of 89

Anyone have the serial #'s affected?

• Reply 79 of 89
    I just called apple and as long as I was able to provide a receipt (I was) they were willing to refund the price of the battery replacement. All files have been uploaded to apple and I have a case number. They said the refund should complete in 3-4 weeks.
  • Reply 80 of 89
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    tenly wrote: »

Not really surprising; the sleep/wake button issue has been acknowledged by Apple:
    https://ssl.apple.com/support/iphone5-sleepwakebutton/

My phone suffered from it as well, July 2013, before they had this program. But I received a new iPhone nonetheless.

larryw4csc wrote: »
    Does this happen often or just once?  Try re-orienting where you lay your phone while you sleep.  This isn't anything to do with iPhone, it has to do with digital radios, which your iPhone is only one.  What happens is:
    You lay the phone down and go to bed.  You got unlucky and laid the phone down where (put your horrible wireless carrier here) has no signal or a very poor signal.  The link between you and them is unstable and you drop off the carrier's control channel.  Your iPhone notes this and attempts to reconnect so you can send/receive those sext messages with your honey(s).  The signal sucks, you crash with others and the attempts fail.  The phone keeps trying.  It gets connected, sort of, but the dropping repeats all night.  It knows you'll be pissed at it so it keeps trying.....
    Every time it connects, disconnects, retries, communicates, over and over, the second biggest battery hog in the box (after the display light which is worse) goes to full power trying to get the stupid carrier, (put your horrible wireless carrier here), to connect to his little tower.  By morning, the poor phone has been up all night trying to make it right, even iPhone.  When you pick it up, the signal goes from near zero to great, but you curse because the battery that's been drained by the transmitter trying to get the horrible antenna connected, has finally been drained, sweating and panting in defeat.  You plug in, swearing the battery is bad.....but this wasn't true yesterday, or last week....???
    Before handing next months paycheck to Apple, let's try to MOVE where you lay it at night to a new location, near an outside wall, then note the signal strength meter on the phone and move it around for the best signal strength.  If the signal sucks everywhere, you need a new carrier better than (put your horrible wireless carrier here).

'Xcept for when the phone was plugged in.