Review: Apple's mid-2014 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display

Comments

• Reply 21 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Wow. Thought I was on reddit.

Nope; this is AppleInsider. 

Type 'reddit' into a search engine on a website like Yahoo! or Bing and it will help you to find the site you are looking for. Hope that helps.

• Reply 22 of 95
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Seems as though they've made some changes, as the funny faces don't work.

Yeah, that's terrible!

Smilies are an important tool in my arsenal, and I hope that they fix them soon again.

I guess that people could always link to outside smilies, but that's too much work to be bothered with.

• Reply 23 of 95
    Quote:

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree, let bygones be bygones and let sleeping dogs lie.

Nope. I do not agree to disagree. It's not a matter of opinion or interpretation. The author made a mistake.

I liked the rest of the review though. Uncommonly frank and unbiased.

• Reply 24 of 95
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Many people all doing something the wrong way doesn't alter the definition to make it the right way.

The only thing wrong I see in this thread is trying to assert how you think English, of all languages should work. The goal should be for better communication and I had no problem understanding what was written. If you didn't understand it then you can see it's not as good as it should be but you can't assert it's wrong outside of a narrow scope of an individuals specific desires. Language is probably the only thing that can keep up with the speed CE technology evolution.
  • Reply 25 of 95
    Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree, let bygones be bygones and let sleeping dogs lie.

Nope. I do not agree to disagree. It's not a matter of opinion or interpretation. The author made a mistake.

I liked the rest of the review though. Uncommonly frank and unbiased.

Frankly, you're wrong.

The author didn't make a mistake; you did.

As you're so keen to point out grammatical errors, here's one for you: you need a comma before 'though' in your sentence above.

Now that we've seen that your criticism of the author's grammar comes from a place of baseless authority, it would be wise of you to pipe down on matters pertaining to the English language.
  • Reply 26 of 95
    apple ][ wrote: »

Seems as though they've made some changes, as the funny faces don't work.

Yeah, that's terrible!

Smilies are an important tool in my arsenal, and I hope that they fix them soon again.

I guess that people could always link to outside smilies, but that's too much work to be bothered with.

You know that emoji are built into iOS; you just have to add the keyboard in settings. They are also built into Mac OS X; they're under Character Viewer.
  • Reply 27 of 95
    disturbia wrote: »

Grammar error in the article. The price "was" reduced, not "had been" reduced.

The word "had" has enjoyed an incredibly surge in popularity in the last couple years. More and more writers are using it superfluously and incorrectly.
    Hey be grateful you don't have to hear / read "do the needful" like 20 times a day ...!!

do the needful do the needful do the needful do the needful do the needful do the needful do the needful do the needful do the needful do the needful do the needful do the needful do the needful do the needful do the needful do the needful do the needful do the needful do the needful do the needful ????
  • Reply 28 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The only thing wrong I see in this thread is trying to assert how you think English, of all languages should work.

Oh fer cryin' out loud, it's got nothing to do with what *I* think! I didn't write the freakin' language.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The goal should be for better communication and I had no problem understanding what was written.

As a proponent of clear communication I would have expected you to support everyone using the same words to mean the same thing, and following the guidelines established to make sure we all know what other people mean. They have a name for that: rules of grammar.

• Reply 29 of 95
    Quote:

You know that emoji are built into iOS; you just have to add the keyboard in settings. They are also built into Mac OS X; they're under Character Viewer.

If you use the emoji keyboard in iOS to insert a smiley in a post here, what will the reader see?

• Reply 30 of 95

If you use the emoji keyboard in iOS to insert a smiley in a post here, what will the reader see?

Glad to see the offensive part of your post has gone, now I've reported it. Try not to insult people directly here, or you may get the post deleted or yourself banned.

As to your question—the reader will see what he chooses to see.

Be good. ????
  • Reply 31 of 95
    Quote:

Had you not been incorrect, I wouldn't correct you, but you were, so I will.

'Had been' is fine; they could have used 'was' too, had they so wished.

"had been" is past perfect continuous

"Was" is just simple past (i think always passive, but maybe not?)

They are different.  Past perfect continuous generally is used to for something that happened BEFORE something else that also happened in the past:

I had been waiting for someone when she arrived

I agree with Lorin about the phrase "the price had been reduced to XX." would be more by the book if it used simply "was," but I probably wouldn't have noticed if the Lorin didn't bring it up.  (cf "the price had been reduced to XX before they raised it to XX)

I find it comical that people are getting on someone for his "interpretation" of language.  Have people read this site?  I remember fondly the matte screen debate days

• Reply 32 of 95
    Quote:

Glad to see the offensive part of your post has gone, now I've reported it. Try not to insult people directly here, or you may get the post deleted or yourself banned.

I didn't know you reported it. I decided on my own to remove it five minutes after I posted it. I figured it wasn't worth arguing with people who shoot the messenger.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

As to your question—the reader will see what he chooses to see.

Be good. ????

Interesting. When viewed in Internet Explorer it's a different image -- a little black & white guy's face with the hands -- but obviously close enough. Good tip!

• Reply 33 of 95
    Quote:

Glad to see the offensive part of your post has gone

By the way, I didn't think what I wrote and subsequently removed was offensive at all. That wasn't why I removed it.

• Reply 34 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Grammar error in the article. The price "was" reduced, not "had been" reduced.

The word "had" has enjoyed an incredibly surge in popularity in the last couple years. More and more writers are using it superfluously and incorrectly.

As this thread seems to be primarily focused on language due to this post, it would only be logical to follow suit and point out there is an error in this post.

You wrote:

The word "had" has enjoyed an incredibly surge in popularity in the last couple years. More and more writers are using it superfluously and incorrectly.

The underlined part in red should read: "incredible surge."  

• Reply 35 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

You wrote:

The word "had" has enjoyed an incredibly surge in popularity in the last couple years. More and more writers are using it superfluously and incorrectly.

Yes, thank you. Typographical error. Had I noticed, I would have known it was wrong. I need a proof reader.

Speaking of that, it sometimes feels like I have to fight with the auto-correct on this forum. It often substitutes a word I didn't intend. Anyone else having that problem?

• Reply 36 of 95
    macxpress wrote: »
    A "review".....which also includes prices and exclusive deals?

Gotta get that MacMall plug in! Wouldn't be an article with MacMall around it somewhere. Who the hell would order from MacMall anyways?

I order from MaMall and have never had an issue with doing so. I've ordered hardware and software from there since the 1980s without a problem. MacMall staff can easily supply answers as well... not just a bunch of order takers. I don't know what your problem is. It's a good company.
  • Reply 37 of 95

You wrote:

Yes, thank you. Typographical error. Had I noticed, I would have known it was wrong. I need a proof reader.

Speaking of that, it sometimes feels like I have to fight with the auto-correct on this forum. It often substitutes a word I didn't intend. Anyone else having that problem?

No problem here. You need to have a talk with your fingers. :-)
  • Reply 38 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

I don't know about the auto-correct here at AI, but I know that my Mac tries to auto-correct everything I type into British English spellings.  I have to go back and fix them.  Things like "colour" instead of "color."  I have nothing against British English, but I use American English and hope the spellings follow suit.

Edit: the prefs were set at "automatic by language" so I changed that to "U.S. English."  Hopefully that will help!

System Prefs >> Keyboard >> Text

• Reply 39 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

You need to have a talk with your fingers. :-)

They don't listen. They've seen that my mouth gets away with ignoring what my brain tells it to do, and now they're incorrigible.

I don't dare put my hands in my pockets. Or worse, anyone else's pockets.

• Reply 40 of 95

Who cares if AI plugs prices / deals / MacMall ?   People interested in buying would be interested in all of these things to help make their purchasing decisions.  I've never owned an Apple laptop, so I thought the review was good.  Thanks.