Apple's mysterious 2-story structure at site of Sept. 9 event drives frenzy even further

Comments

• Reply 41 of 131
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

I don't think it's anything. They always have concerts afterwards. Thats what this is. 

• Reply 42 of 131
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

Hope it's more carplay announcements.

Man, has the aftermarket car audio industry met CarPlay with crickets or what? I'd *LOVE* to retrofit a CarPlay deck, but the dearth of choices is depressing.

Pioneer, one of what, two? companies to offer it all, has a weird approach -- they only offer CarPlay in expensive models that include fancy navigation, voice control and other functions that are completely redundant to a CarPlay user! Why would I want to pay for all those fancy features in a unit that can access identical functions from my iPhone? It doesn't make any sense.

I wish Apple would just make a head unit themselves, but I won't hold my breath.

• Reply 43 of 131
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It sounds plausible but also not very interesting besides the TV. These sort of home automation products and health products can be made to sound interesting in marketing material but in everyday use, they're boring to interact with and the home products would require wiring them in, which nobody is going to do.

I reckon they are going to introduce a new category of product that will be an expected category but Apple is expecting that lots of people will want a hands-on so is providing enough space for everyone to try the new products out.

It'll be a giant Samsung Galaxy product smashing area. Have fun everyone!

• Reply 44 of 131
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Surely this proves there will be a 5.5" iPhone¡

Don't be lazy. Finish the post. Here, I'll get you started:

"It's so obvious even..."

• Reply 45 of 131

Apple will demonstrate anti-gravity engines for the flying cars.

• Reply 46 of 131
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

My official guess: it's a mock-up of a house for a full-scale HomeKit demo.

Maybe even with a next-gen Apple TV set-top box as the hub.

• Reply 47 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

This was my initial thought. "Wish we could say more" could very well mean more advancements in voice activation/Siri tech too. 

I WANT TO CONTROL MY HOME WITH MY VOICE, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. Ideally, it would be via a two-way PA in every room. Since every room should have speakers for your music, that system would obviously include a microphone (don’t say it can’t be done cheaply; my elementary school had one and it was installed before Apple made computers with mice). Barring an installed system, having an iDevice in your pocket or in your hands and using it as the remote is the best option, and if Apple IS getting into homes it’s the one they’ll choose. 

Still, speakers in every room is the future I desire.

I want to just be able to say to the air, “dim the lights a bit” and it would dim the lights a bit. Or “I’d like to watch Mr. Smith Goes to Washington” and not only would it dim the lights to my preset (or off) that I set for movie watching, it would automatically turn on my TV, Apple TV, and play the movie.

I want to be able to take a call and just walk around my house and talk (speaker/mic combo again). I want to set my HVAC and be notified about my oven and my laundry loads being completed.

We’ve had the tech to make the future of the 50s a reality for 10 years now. What’s the holdup?!

• Reply 48 of 131
    Quote:

Apple is expecting that lots of people will want a hands-on so is providing enough space for everyone to try the new products out.

Makes sense, but why two storeys high?

• Reply 49 of 131
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,159member

A Cupertino resident had an eyewitness account at the Mercury News, saying that it looked like a sound stage for a rock concert was being built.

This would lead me to believe that there would be some sort of Beats-related announcement featuring a live concert (perhaps after the main presentation).

• Reply 50 of 131
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I don't think it's anything. They always have concerts afterwards. Thats what this is. 

They couldn't have a concert on the same stage as the product announcement?  2400 seats vs the usual 300 seats?  I think it's more than a concert.

• Reply 51 of 131
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Additional room for twerking classes with Miley Cyrus.

Makes sense.  iWork was recently updated, time to unveil iTwerk.

• Reply 52 of 131
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Ever been to an Apple store? A low ceiling is a killer if you expect a lot of people. Besides, perhaps it will be two stories?  As has been suggested already, I am thinking it will be a demo area. Carplay , homekit and health kit. This event is a HUGE marketing event so it is important that the journalists get to really play with the goods. One thing is just to report on what is said, another is to report on demos and first hand experience. 

• Reply 53 of 131
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Acoustics. The entire chamber will be a live demo of Beats headphone technology in the form of a building.

• Reply 54 of 131
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

A Cupertino resident had an eyewitness account at the Mercury News, saying that it looked like a sound stage for a rock concert was being built.

This would lead me to believe that there would be some sort of Beats-related announcement featuring a live concert (perhaps after the main presentation).

The pictures in that story help show the scale of this building.

I am not seeing anything that could be a "stage" in the any pictures online. Pretty big temporary building. 

Lots of stuff to put inside. I like the black curtains to keep us from seeing inside the entrance. So Apple. 

• Reply 55 of 131
    Quote:

Quote:

Apple is expecting that lots of people will want a hands-on so is providing enough space for everyone to try the new products out.

It is more dramatic for those inside, but more importantly it will stay cooler. Also, looking at the pictures it looks more than two stories. It looks like a "Theatre" unto itself with room for a fly gallery. Pretty big building.

Perhaps Apple is bringing the 70's back and this is the first of many iDiscos!

• Reply 56 of 131
    apple ][ wrote: »
    This event is going to be [SIZE=36px]HUGE![/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]Apple themselves have built up the huge hype, with their previous statements, and they no doubt are going to be showing off a whole bunch of new devices and making some important announcements![/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]This isn't just about some larger iPhone. That will only be a part of it.[/SIZE]

Boom!
  • Reply 57 of 131
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

There is false information in that article:

The company has not unveiled a new product at the Flint Center since the launch of the original Macintosh in 1984, instead using such venues as the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, the California Theater in San Jose and its own Cupertino headquarters.

What about the iMac in 1998? According to the loop, that was also at the Flint Center.

• Reply 58 of 131
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Also, I don't believe that this is two stories tall.

Most other places are talking about three stories tall.

And if you look at the picture posted in post #54, you can clearly see the size of the structure, compared to the tiny worker. That is not two stories tall! It's bigger.

• Reply 59 of 131
    Quote:

Man, has the aftermarket car audio industry met CarPlay with crickets or what? I'd *LOVE* to retrofit a CarPlay deck, but the dearth of choices is depressing.

Pioneer, one of what, two? companies to offer it all, has a weird approach -- they only offer CarPlay in expensive models that include fancy navigation, voice control and other functions that are completely redundant to a CarPlay user! Why would I want to pay for all those fancy features in a unit that can access identical functions from my iPhone? It doesn't make any sense.

I wish Apple would just make a head unit themselves, but I won't hold my breath.

I've commented on this before. Some developer just needs to write an App to perform the functions of a car stereo. Pair it up with any of the numerous I/O modules and you've got a high-end deck. Using the audio capabilities of iOS you could even have numerous outputs - subs, mids and highs all with custom crossovers, EQ and time delay.

Imagine an iPhone with a 16 channel audio interface to connect to all your amps and even support an external input or two.

• Reply 60 of 131
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    I WANT TO CONTROL MY HOME WITH MY VOICE, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. Ideally, it would be via a two-way PA in every room. Since every room should have speakers for your music, that system would obviously include a microphone (don’t say it can’t be done cheaply; my elementary school had one and it was installed before Apple made computers with mice). Barring an installed system, having an iDevice in your pocket or in your hands and using it as the remote is the best option, and if Apple IS getting into homes it’s the one they’ll choose. 

Still, speakers in every room is the future I desire.

I want to just be able to say to the air, “dim the lights a bit” and it would dim the lights a bit. Or “I’d like to watch Mr. Smith Goes to Washington” and not only would it dim the lights to my preset (or off) that I set for movie watching, it would automatically turn on my TV, Apple TV, and play the movie.

I want to be able to take a call and just walk around my house and talk (speaker/mic combo again). I want to set my HVAC and be notified about my oven and my laundry loads being completed.

We<span style="line-height:22.399999618530273px;">’ve had the tech to make the future of the </span>
    ‘<span style="line-height:22.399999618530273px;">50s a reality for 10 years now. What</span>
    <span style="line-height:22.399999618530273px;">’s the holdup?!</span>

It would take so much effort to wire all that up, every light switch, every device with custom controllers. What needs to come first is for home product and appliance manufacturers to bundle wireless controllers already so that eventually, they'll all just work under an automated system. For someone to take a completely standard house and overhaul it would be far too much for someone to undertake. Ozzy Osbourne had his house done and the results are here:

[VIDEO]

Some reports said 3 storeys. It looks too narrow to be for a music event. I would guess the reason for making multiple storeys is that it's easier than expanding temporary space outwards, they might not have room to expand a single level out.

Maybe it's for a new cellular and wifi-capable version of Beats that streams music from the cloud wherever you are that is location-aware. Maybe you'll be able to walk around different zones and it will pick the next track based on activity. This would replace the iPod entirely. I think they'll have to do something with Beats after spending over $3b on it.