Apple's mysterious 2-story structure at site of Sept. 9 event drives frenzy even further

Comments

• Reply 61 of 131
    ...area where Apple traditionally allows journalists to fondle new products following their announcement.

I approve of this. I also approve of future variations on the theme.

“We got into bed with the new iPad...”
    “After motorboating the Broadwell MacBook Pro...”
    “We turned on the new iPhone’s vibrate function...”
    “We were standing behind the Mac Mini in a crowded Japanese commuter train...”

There's this TV ad for an adjustable mattresses that shows an attractive young couple in their jammies, struggling with something that looks like a giant wishbone ... the voiceover says "your mattress is a platform of thwarted desire ..."
  • Reply 62 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

Lots of stuff to put inside.

Carpets rolled up. House mockup confirmed.

• Reply 63 of 131
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Carpets rolled up. House mockup confirmed.

Or just a carpet for the floor for whatever temporary structure they are building?
  • Reply 64 of 131
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I have my doubts this is a stage for a rock concert. I still think it's going to be a massive demo area with maybe a lot of 3rd party stuff that integrates with HealthKit and HomeKit. 9to5Mac claims Apple is working on 1st party hardware for HomeKit,so maybe we'll see something there?
  • Reply 65 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Or just a carpet for the floor for whatever temporary structure they are building?

Ah, but what Apple-designed building meant for the general population has carpet?

• Reply 66 of 131
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,301member

I WANT TO CONTROL MY HOME WITH MY VOICE, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. Ideally, it would be via a two-way PA in every room. Since every room should have speakers for your music, that system would obviously include a microphone (don’t say it can’t be done cheaply; my elementary school had one and it was installed before Apple made computers with mice). Barring an installed system, having an iDevice in your pocket or in your hands and using it as the remote is the best option, and if Apple IS getting into homes it’s the one they’ll choose. 

Still, speakers in every room is the future I desire.

I want to just be able to say to the air, “dim the lights a bit” and it would dim the lights a bit. Or “I’d like to watch Mr. Smith Goes to Washington” and not only would it dim the lights to my preset (or off) that I set for movie watching, it would automatically turn on my TV, Apple TV, and play the movie.

I want to be able to take a call and just walk around my house and talk (speaker/mic combo again). I want to set my HVAC and be notified about my oven and my laundry loads being completed.

We<span style="line-height:22.399999618530273px;">’ve had the tech to make the future of the </span>
    ‘<span style="line-height:22.399999618530273px;">50s a reality for 10 years now. What</span>
    <span style="line-height:22.399999618530273px;">’s the holdup?!</span>

You mean like this? Been able to practically everything you desire already.

(DKC Automation) Voice-controlled Home Automation…:

Android Home Automation - Vera Lite - Z Wave | Pa…:

Android Home Automation - Micasaverde - Voice Con…:
  • Reply 67 of 131
    Apple will demonstrate anti-gravity engines for the flying cars.

Is that a pCell in your pocket -- or are you just glad to see me?
  • Reply 68 of 131
    Marvin wrote: »
    Apple is expecting that lots of people will want a hands-on so is providing enough space for everyone to try the new products out.

Makes sense, but why two storeys high?

Air movement/Cooling for 2,500 excited people in a small, enclosed area on a typical 80-90 degree day.
  • Reply 69 of 131
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Isn't it obvious?  Dr. Dre is holding an after party in there.

This might be much about Beats, such as renaming the 1 Infinite Loop campus to Beats headquarters and dropping the iTunes name.

• Reply 70 of 131
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Because it is a temporary structure, I doubt it will actually have a second floor. You would need a full reinforced concrete foundation to support load bearing beams. The public safely requirements would be too extensive for a multi-level building that was just to be used for one day.

The shape doesn't seem like it would have very good acoustics for a concert either.

• Reply 71 of 131
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by city View Post

This might be much about Beats, such as renaming the 1 Infinite Loop campus to Beats headquarters and dropping the iTunes name.

• Reply 72 of 131
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,915member
    Quote:

So what could that building be? Simply because there is no room outside the auditorium for 2,300 people to look at the devices? Could it be a demo home for HomeKit-compatible equipment? Something else?

This is exactly what I was thinking. Apple is going to enter the home automation space and the building is a living room/kitchen, etc area where they can demo it. Maybe this ties with with both iOS 8, iPhone and iWatch.

• Reply 73 of 131
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    You guys have missed the obvious here, it is a hall for the dancing girls. Haven't you read how strip clubs and call girls are making a killing in the Silicon Valley due all the socially backward men working there. This is just Apples way of coming out.
  • Reply 74 of 131
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You guys have missed the obvious here, it is a hall for the dancing girls. Haven't you read how strip clubs and call girls are making a killing in the Silicon Valley due all the socially backward men working there. This is just Apples way of coming out.

Worst possible choice of words.

• Reply 75 of 131
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's definitely intriguing. Maybe U2 puts on a post-announcement concert?

U2 is so last decade. They are going to have Yaoband perform. On the new iPad even. 

• Reply 76 of 131
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

It can't just be an area for journalists to play with new toys. 

Sure it can be. If that's what Apple wants. Just like they could have gone to Yerba or done it on campus but they wanted to return to the site of the 1984 announcement for whatever reason. 

And if Apple wants, they generally do. 

• Reply 77 of 131
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

if it was Apple's way of coming out, shouldn't they be dancing guys?

• Reply 78 of 131
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Man, has the aftermarket car audio industry met CarPlay with crickets or what? I'd *LOVE* to retrofit a CarPlay deck, but the dearth of choices is depressing.

Pioneer, one of what, two? companies to offer it all, has a weird approach -- they only offer CarPlay in expensive models that include fancy navigation, voice control and other functions that are completely redundant to a CarPlay user! Why would I want to pay for all those fancy features in a unit that can access identical functions from my iPhone? It doesn't make any sense.

I wish Apple would just make a head unit themselves, but I won't hold my breath.

Yes apple and pioneer are the only two that I have heard of making aftermarket solutions. I can't retrofit my Audi S4, and I will be in the market for a new vehicle in the next 1 to 2 years, but I have yet to see auto makers what years and models will have car play, this would put them higher on my list, but obviously wouldn't be the only reason to get that particular vehicle.

• Reply 79 of 131
  • Reply 80 of 131
    I don't care what they announce so long as my next iPhone has a bigger screen magnification.