Review: Apple's mid-2014 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 95
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Perhaps it's different in American.

As noted by the OAD3, the only difference is in British English with the word cite not being prononced like the other two, whereas in American English they are all the same… which I think was [@]Tallest Skil[/@]'s point.

Ok. I think it's a mistake. We say 'cite' exactly the same way as we say 'site' or 'sight.'
  • Reply 82 of 95
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Benjamin, say ‘beer can’.

Now, one of our Jamaican users, say ‘bacon’.

• Reply 83 of 95
    Benjamin, say ‘beer can’.

Now, one of our Jamaican users, say ‘bacon’.

Funny!
  • Reply 84 of 95
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Nothing really.

• Reply 85 of 95
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Prosody, the beginnings of communication. For another example look to Jabberwocky.

I have the disquieting sensation that they are making more sense than we are...

• Reply 86 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think it's more an issue of written text without the contextual build up of a story. That's why I'm such a fan of the sarcmark and have personally adopted an easily typed character that is very similar to the Ethiopian temherte slaqî or temherte slaq (U+00A1) ( ¡ ).

That's cool, but completely irrelevant to the post in question since it was not sarcasm. I'd explain the difference, but I don't need another explanation of how diminishing language expertise and reading comprehension are not the result of laziness and shifting values but just the result of "evolving" language. Your "footnote" earlier in the thread made your approach to discussing the subject quite clear.

• Reply 87 of 95
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    That's cool, but completely irrelevant to the post in question since it was not sarcasm. I'd explain the difference, but I don't need another explanation of how diminishing language expertise and reading comprehension are not the result of laziness and shifting values but just the result of "evolving" language.

So the English you speak is then lazy English by virtue of definitions, spellings, pronunciations, and sentence structures having evolved to your point? Chaucer may agree you but he'd then also say you're not speaking English.
    Your "footnote" earlier in the thread made your approach to discussing the subject quite clear.

I thought my footnote was funny and my use of a smiling emoticon should be evidence of my humorous intention.
  • Reply 88 of 95
    Quote:

So the English you speak is then lazy English by virtue of definitions, spellings, pronunciations, and sentence structures having evolved to your point?

Yeah, I think so. I'd probably use less "modern" phrasing and sentence structure myself except that it actually hinders communication if only one person in the exchange does so. Unless everybody is on the same page, interpretation of intent suffers. That's why I think adhering to rules of grammar is not geeky or blind obedience but rather productive and respectful of those with whom I'm trying to communicate.

"Lazy" may be too strong a word, but I think "shifting values" nails it pretty well. What got me started thinking about it was reading letters from the foxholes written by boys fighting in WWI. Despite all the advances in our society, we are less articulate than people educated in one-room schoolhouses a century ago.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I thought my footnote was funny and my use of a smiling emoticon should be evidence of my humorous intention.

Okay. It kinda hurt my feelings a bit that you were mocking me. I don't care when shit like that comes from someone whose opinion doesn't matter to me, but it bothered me coming from you.

• Reply 89 of 95
    Okay. It kinda hurt my feelings a bit that you were mocking me. I don't care when shit like that comes from someone whose opinion doesn't matter to me, but it bothered me coming from you.

Then you have my sincerest apologies as my intent was to be humorous, not attack you.
  • Reply 90 of 95
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Then you have my sincerest apologies as my intent was to be humorous, not attack you.

To be fair to you, if ANYONE should see that and laugh along, it's me. I'd chalk it up to being on my period, but, at 52 years old, I'm not supposed to have those anymore. Plus the whole being male thing. Another perfectly good excuse ruined by aging. And gender.

:)

• Reply 91 of 95
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Two rug rats big deal.

• Reply 92 of 95
    Be very careful when buying these, the LCD glass substrate is poorly engineered and simply through regular daily use the screen will make contact with the keys on the keyboard and cause permanent scratches and divots in the screen.

I have seen this twice now, and the only thing I can suggest is that you buy a screen protector and/or rubber overlay for the keyboard to prevent this. The alternative is to regularly replace the screen, which will run you ~$500.

They have been using this screen for 2 years now, but have yet to design a quality layer of glass to protect the expensive screen from itself.
  • Reply 93 of 95
    Are the newer Mac laptops still having problems with logic boards going bad or has Apple solved this problem?
  • Reply 94 of 95
    Are the newer Mac laptops still having problems with logic boards going bad or has Apple solved this problem?

No idea because it's a GPU issue and the issues typically don't appear for a couple years. I've had my 2013 15" MBP for a year now with no issues but that means nothing.
  • Reply 95 of 95

This little machine is the perfect laptop for the frequently mobile.  No much more to say.  It's beautiful, works perfectly and for a long time unplugged, it accommodates two USB ports, FireWire etc with a very thin framework.

It's just perfect.