Exclusive aerial footage of Apple's mysterious white box next to 'iPhone 6' event site

Comments

• Reply 21 of 104
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

For audience and performer comfort, providing shade and air conditioning is something to consider, especially when temperatures in Silicon Valley often hit the high eighties or low nineties in early September.

The fact that HVAC ducting has been built for the structure does not seem to indicate that they would be removing the roof.

• Reply 22 of 104

why don't shareholder of company sue companies when the through money away like google did with their barge showroom idea. Shareholders should get pissed when the learn that a Google is making bad investment like this. Yeah we all know that 1 and 10 R&D product see light of day so some money is wasted, but when companies do things like the floating showroom which is not core to their business they should have to explain themselves to shareholder.

• Reply 23 of 104
    maestro64 wrote: »
    why don't shareholder of company sue companies when the through money away like google did with their barge showroom idea. Shareholders should get pissed when the learn that a Google is making bad investment like this. Yeah we all know that 1 and 10 R&D product see light of day so some money is wasted, but when companies do things like the floating showroom which is not core to their business they should have to explain themselves to shareholder.

In the case of Larry and Sergey, they are the majority stockholders and I personally would never buy Google stock. Read this: http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/dealbook/2012/04/13/new-share-class-gives-google-founders-tighter-control/

I'd be very concerned about what kind of succession plan these guys have in place.
  • Reply 24 of 104

It's a special theme park, designed for testing your iWatch, and the new payment system.

1. Aerobics, to measure your pulse.

2. Cake competition, to measure your blood sugar.

3. Party booth to measure your alcohol levels.

4. Live concert with U2, to measure the sound levels.

5. Labyrinth, to help you find your way out.

6. Shopping mall, to test the new payment system.

etc...

• Reply 25 of 104
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I love that AI is doing their own videos but that music is awful.

The piano music didn't fit well at all. It's hard to get good, affordable, royalty-free music though. The following site has a good selection but pricey:

http://www.premiumbeat.com/royalty_free_music/acoustic

If you mute the video and play Clap Tap along with it, I think it fits better. You really have to have a unique track per video clip though or it gets old real quick. Maybe if they bought a selection of 10 or so they could cycle round them and use different loops.

Now, what's in the box, what's in the box.

[VIDEO]

If only they'd give us a clue. We know it has to be something that fits in the box and the shape is irregular: it's very narrow and long. There were clues about it being a stage but why would they need so much security and have staff not say what it was? A simple stage show is nothing to be secretive about. Is it even big enough to have a stage and a large audience? If it's mostly press invites, what good is a concert for them?

All will be revealed in 5 days but what if it's a major letdown? What if it's just an area for Federighi's team of hair stylists and products so that he doesn't have the problems he had last time? There's some secrets with that hair, if you notice it bends one way and then the other way and kinda sweeps over. He's not getting that volume with a comb, there has to be a girlie brush and some product involved, maybe a blow dryer too, which explains the electricity feeds going into the box.

It better be something awesome or that plain white box is totally overrated.
  • Reply 26 of 104
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

In all seriousness, can anyone think of a real possibility that does not involve a fake home setup for HomeKit demonstration?

I mean....HomeKit is great and all....but its not like Apple is making a single piece of hardware to enter into that space.

This is mysterious to say the least.

• Reply 27 of 104
    palegolas wrote: »
    It's a special theme park, designed for testing your iWatch, and the new payment system.
    1. Aerobics, to measure your pulse.
    2. Cake competition, to measure your blood sugar.
    3. Party booth to measure your alcohol levels.
    4. Live concert with U2, to measure the sound levels.
    5. Labyrinth, to help you find your way out.
    6. Shopping mall, to test the new payment system.
    etc...

7. Breakdancing competition with prizes handed out by Beats
  • Reply 28 of 104
    Marvin wrote: »
    The piano music didn't fit well at all. It's hard to get good, affordable, royalty-free music though. The following site has a good selection but pricey:

http://www.premiumbeat.com/royalty_free_music/acoustic

Isn't there plenty of free, public domain classical music?

Even this folky selection I clicked on randomly from the 2nd link is considerably better…
  • Reply 29 of 104
    7. Breakdancing competition with prizes handed out by Beats

8. Room-to-room teleportation demos.
    9. Clinic rooms for attendees to get subdermal implants for the real future of wearable CE.
  • Reply 30 of 104

If Apple is that desperate for secrecy that they need to put a white box up, they should stop conveniently leaking information to WSJ, NYT, macrumors and this site.

• Reply 31 of 104
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That http://9to5mac.com site is not too shabby, is it? Pretty good and swift articles over there.

*awkward coughing during silence*

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That said, is a redesigned Apple Store really an exiting thing to have? We're talking about new tables and placement, right, but still with the same stuff on them. Seems dull to me.

Ah, what if it’s a combination of the two?

What if it’s a new Apple Store styled after a home (et. al.)? What if the store will have mock versions of rooms in which products will sit, allowing customers to actually get a feel for what it would be like to own said products and to give them a way to see how an iPad or whatever could fit into their lives.

Say there’d be a living room mockup with an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple TV on display. Play around with them in that setting, get mock phone calls that show up on the Apple TV, etc.

Or a kitchen showing an iPad, iPhone, AirPort Extreme and MacBook Air with appliances and lighting controlled by HomeKit.

Or a home office with a Mac Pro, iMac, or MacBook Pro and a Time Capsule.

• Reply 32 of 104
    mpantone wrote: »

If Apple does introduce some sort of wearable tech, a fashion show might be a suitable event. Flint Center's orchestra floor seating arrangement does not make it a good venue for something like a fashion show since a catwalk cannot be set up.

I love the fashion show/catwalk idea. Makes perfect sense for the building shape (low sections of the building are backstage changing areas). But Apple usually does products that others have already tried, only they do them much better. There is not much wearable tech clothing out there yet.
  • Reply 33 of 104
    pmz wrote: »
    In all seriousness, can anyone think of a real possibility that does not involve a fake home setup for HomeKit demonstration?

I mean....HomeKit is great and all....but its not like Apple is making a single piece of hardware to enter into that space.

This is mysterious to say the least.

I've been saying since we've started talking about an iWatch, which is before the actual rumours started, that I think Apple will need to shed it's simple design ethos by creating many version out of the gate due to the high level of fashion and utility that is involved. To me that means men and women sizes (even though this probably hurts functionality for the smaller size which is typically considered for a woman), multiple types spreading from basic, durable design (e.g.: blue collar workers and athletes) to higher end designs, to many different styles to appear to a wide range of fashion. I think this is by far the hardest nut to crack for a CE company.

So to answer your question, perrhaps they will showcasing dozens of designs they plan on selling.
  • Reply 34 of 104
    It's a giant watch!
  • Reply 35 of 104
    mpantone wrote: »
    If Apple does introduce some sort of wearable tech, a fashion show might be a suitable event. Flint Center's orchestra floor seating arrangement does not make it a good venue for something like a fashion show since a catwalk cannot be set up.

I think that would be a great way to showcase the styling of the various designs after they show us its functionality.
  • Reply 36 of 104
    *awkward coughing during silence*

Ah, what if it’s a combination of the two?

What if it’s a new Apple Store styled after a home (et. al.)? What if the store will have mock versions of rooms in which products will sit, allowing customers to actually get a feel for what it would be like to own said products and to give them a way to see how an iPad or whatever could fit into their lives.

Say there’d be a living room mockup with an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple TV on display. Play around with them in that setting, get mock phone calls that show up on the Apple TV, etc.

Or a kitchen showing an iPad, iPhone, AirPort Extreme and MacBook Air with appliances and lighting controlled by HomeKit.

Or a home office with a Mac Pro, iMac, or MacBook Pro and a Time Capsule.

How will I know how HomeKit will fit into my particular lifestyle?

pink_trailer_trash.jpg
  • Reply 37 of 104
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

its a stage....   cant be more obvious than that.

• Reply 38 of 104

I personally stopped wearing a watch a long time ago. I find my self happier because of it. Not rushing around. I tried a few times to wear a watch and found it gave me a rash/ sweaty felt weird so i won't wear one again. Now I realize I'm a minority and not being overweight like most folks I don't suppose I will really need to know up to the second info on my heart rate, insulin count etc. Now of course I do think it will be a success because the majority of customers for it are overweight, suffering from all kinds of health problems or fitness freaks and so on. But do we really need a device on our wrist that takes over our lives and transmits text messages and all kinds of reminders to us 24x7. After all the secret to a happy life is stepping back from that anal retentive, everything under control, mass delusional , go getter madhouse we live in. No wonder the 3 leading causes of death are heart attacks, cancer and strokes. If you really want happiness, its not in material objects or another person. Its learning to detach from all the things that imprison us. The great thing about my iPhone, is I can just leave  it at home and boom I'm instantly rid of it for a while. Yes we have the ability to take that watch off,  but do we trust ourselves to have the will power to do so? The more connected you are to the Matrix, the more a slave you become to it. You either choose to be a part of it or you can choose to go back to the source. Do you really believe all the nonsense about technology empowering you? I don't. Now I will get off my soap box. ha ha

• Reply 39 of 104
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

What does it mean to be B H Photo powered? B H Photo is a retail store.

Given there's an FAA ban on "commercial" drone usage I expect B&H Video simply provided the aircraft free in return for it having that sticker on it, sort of NASCAR-like as a promotional effort. No money is exchanged, simply a mind-space exercise.

• Reply 40 of 104
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think that would be a great way to showcase the styling of the various designs after they show us its functionality.

There's a strong fashion/style aspect of anything you wear. If Apple is going to start making wearable tech, it would be in their best interest to have a strong marketing message from a fashion perspective, something Ahrendts should be well versed in.

A fashion show with a catwalk is really the way to do this, like the Victoria's Secret fashion show, with models and musicians. You can't just have a bunch of middle-aged white high tech execs go through a slide presentation saying how neat it is. It needs to be worn by people like Kate Upton, Maria Sharapova and Colin Kaepernick.

Also, if Apple were to sell wearable tech, that would likely call for a major refresh of their retail store concept. They won't just put the device on a tabletop stand like an iPod shuffle.