First look: Hands-on with the new iPhone 6 & iPhone 6 Plus, featuring Apple Pay and Reachability

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 94
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    I'll be interested to see how Apple implements person-to-person (iPhone-to-iPhone) transfers. No reason why they couldn't make an anonymous "like cash" transaction system.

I don't see them bothering to do this - it's mainly downsides such as the crime/laundering that you allude to. If you want anonymous you have cash :p
  • Reply 82 of 94
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    Useful in a DSLR for tracking fast moving subjects, of dubious worth in a cellphone.

Huh? I have a couple DSLRs and really like taking pictures - but I take far more pictures with my phone than anything else. And quicker focus is ALWAYS a good thing. The best shots are the ones you get, and faster focus means you are going to get more shots.

What I'm really excited about is SLR cameras have mirrors due to this atuofocus mechanism - it's usually a separate sensor hence the mirror. And all of the mirrorless cameras I have looked at use contrast based autofocus like phones, which is painfully slow. If this tech starts showing up in mirror-less cameras, my next "big camera" will be mirror less and that makes me very, very happy!
  • Reply 83 of 94
    So it's the same, AND it's better.

It is NOT the same, it's an entirely new sensor.

There is far more to the quality of photos than the number of pixels. The quality of those pixels counts! It's been very refreshing to see Apple ignore the checklist driven spec hounds and focus on making the quality of the pixels delivered count - and that's where they continue to deliver enhancements. Not in pixel counts that add no value.

Unless you are printing out photos on billboards, you don't need more resolution than what are in the phones right now. More pixels for the sake of having them don't get you anything - indeed, just throwing more pixels on the sensor just makes them all smaller on the sensor which means each pixel gathers less light.

There is no finer example of something being left out making the offering stronger than Apple holding fast on pixel counts on the camera sensors.
  • Reply 84 of 94
    The big screen must really kill the battery, the specs for talk time are 14 for the 6 and 24 for the 6+ (no screen on) where as the internet use is only 1 or two hours better on the + than the 10 or 11 on the 6. Also, the 6 has a better contrast ratio.

Backlights are the power consumers in portable electronics, aside from radios.

Look at only watch right now that gets mult-day battery life: the pebble. It uses an e-ink display that has no backlight, and does not need to be continually refreshed like an LCD to maintain it's display.
  • Reply 85 of 94
    docno42 wrote: »

Backlights are the power consumers in portable electronics, aside from radios.

Look at only watch right now that gets mult-day battery life: the pebble. It uses an e-ink display that has no backlight, and does not need to be continually refreshed like an LCD to maintain it's display.

I'm sure Apple looked at OLED. Looking at all the black on most of the screens it could be what they used, which could be a battery gain, help reduce display thickness, and give much deeper blacks which could make the bezel area to display nearly invisible, but it could affect daylight reading. I can't figure out what they used there.
  • Reply 86 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

How so? Both use NFC. I have all my loyalty cards in it, my roommate pays me through it, I've been buying things with it, can put all my gift cards in it, I also get tracking info from things I buy online.

Another way of saying this is: "All the things I buy online are tracked".  Or offline, for that matter, when you use credit/debit cards.

Seems like you may not care, just something to consider.  What most people don't think about is that the companies tracking your behavior are not doing it for you, they're doing it for themselves. It's extremely valuable data, both aggregated and disaggregated, and you have virtually no say in (or knowledge of) what happens to that data in private markets.  caveat emptor.

• Reply 87 of 94

Upgrade fatigue...

Sad that wifi calling won't work on current iPhones. That's probably planned obsolescence. I recall my brother using an old Android phone with Android "siri" and asking Google where the nearest pizza place was. At the time, you couldn't get Siri unless you upgraded your phone. Lame-o.

I think Apple needs to cool its heels on charging as much as they can at an unreasonable level...

Market share will tell. Recent rumor about the iPads going for $199 at Target and Best Buy - Apple wasn't pushing enough product through. It worked - for us - as we finally got the mini as $199 was the magic price point (for us and our daughter).

• Reply 88 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Axciom and DataLogix are the two primary companies tracking your purchase history, especially when loyalty or reward cards are used. And yes those two do sell your personal information which might result in those "wonderful emails" you mentioned. Google does not as far as we know.

3 comments: 

1) Very good of you to add: "as far as we know" !  ;)   Because we really don't know. Most people just assume that it's in Google's best interest to hold this data to themselves, but there are no laws that require them to do so.  Ultimately, when the value of selling that data or using it in other undesirable ways exceeds the value of keeping it internal, Google will sell it or use it as they see fit.  Not if, but when.  Public company, shareholder value is first and foremost.

2) To pile on, "loyalty cards" (also referred to as "tracking cards") are among the worst.  That data is known to be sold to data brokers like Axciom and DataLogix, and consumers have no control over to whom it's sold or how it's used.  Good luck even finding out all the data these companies have.

3) There are very different levels of privacy protections with consumer data:

- Fully salable.  For example, credit/debit card use with "loyalty" cards.  This marries all data together, and is well-known to be gathered and sold to data brokers and marketers.  Consumers have virtually zero visibility and no control whatsoever.

- Salable, but probably not sold.  I *believe* Wallet would fall into this category (don't know a lot about it), but pretty much all Google's data gathered from search, email, etc., would definitely fall into this category.  It's valuable data that at this time probably makes more sense to be kept internal to Google.  Facebook and many others, including Apple have a lot of this kind of data.  Consumers may have a little better visibility (but not as much as they think), and they still have zero control whatsoever.  Over time, companies change their thinking, change management, are purchased, sell data assets due to bankruptcy, etc.

- Protected data.  Medical, insurance, etc.  This is also extremely valuable data, but there are some protections in place.  Not as good as most people think, but at least your physician's office isn't supposed to be selling this kind of data to data brokers.

- No personally identifiable data.  Cash is the most obvious solution, but Apple Pay looks to be a step better than anything else.  It looks like Apple gets very little data and the merchant gets NO personal information whatsoever!  They get an acknowledgement from the processor that the charge was accepted.  They don't see your name, CC#, expiration date, driver's license, nothing.  That's great news, and exactly how every transaction should ideally be performed.

Unfortunately, even with this last solution, I do not believe there are legal restrictions from the banks selling that information back to the merchant.  Or elsewhere.  I know for a fact that CC-issuing banks do indeed give (presumably sell) customer data back to the merchants because I was able to track it myself, personally, a few years ago.  After first and second level support staff at the bank denied the practice, the 3rd level supervisor not only admitted the practice, but considered it a "consumer benefit"!  Yeah, like I really appreciated the bank giving the merchant my home address to send me advertising!  You can opt out of this "benefit", but you need to call the bank and make a formal request.

Just a warning to people in general that there are many different back channels that generate huge profits from your tracking your purchasing habits, not just the most obvious ones.

• Reply 89 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Moving the controls down is an option - the URL bar in Safari doesn't have to go down (moving it down wouldn't be good as you scroll down a page) but perhaps there can be a corner icon or something that when tapped enters the text in the bar. Perhaps the notification panel can come in from the right. There's still settings to deal with, 3rd party apps and the top icon row.

Interesting ideas, and from others as well.  It's clear there is room to improve the UI.  I can't wait to get my hands on the 6 plus and the watch - things always feel and work different in real life than the pictures and keynotes.

One last thing, while I can appreciate one handed use, I recall that with the original iphone and later models I use two hands a vast majority of the time, almost always.  Makes me wonder who else uses two hands most of the time and if this is being blown a little bit out of proportion.  Apple can't win here, if they didn't release a larger phone people would freak out even more.

• Reply 90 of 94
    Hip Hip Hooray for the iPhone 6+. Because my profession allows me to sit for vast periods of time before my matters are called, I read content on my phone for 8 to 10 hours per day. I've been using the Galaxy Note series for the last 2 years and have found that these phones have provided the best reading experience bar none. Gave away my ipad and Nexus 7. Purchased an Amazon PaperWhite 3 weeks ago and gave that away a couple of days later. All theses devices provide a reading experience that is inferior to the 5.7" Note 3 screen.

Looking forward to buying the iPhone 6+
    because my iTunes collection is largely copy protected and I'd like to migrate it to a phone without the hassle of stripping the DRM. But I'm purchasing the Note 4 in October, as well, cause I'm not giving up the stylus.
  • Reply 91 of 94
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    techlover wrote: »
    Apple can't win here, if they didn't release a larger phone people would freak out even more.

Android people perhaps but not iPhone buyers. The iPhone 5S topped every other smartphone in sales:

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/iphone-5s-is-the-bestselling-smartphone-worldwide/

They had room to go larger without breaking one-handed usage so much. The Meizu MX2 with a 4.4" display still looks usable one-handed:

[VIDEO]

There would have been negligible loss in the scale between it and the 4.7" and they could possibly have made it 720p vs 1080p in the 6+, which would be easier when it comes to content creation.

They could have said the iPhone 6 4.4" is the limit of one-handed usage and for people who don't care at all about it, get the 5.5" or it could just have been 5".
  • Reply 92 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I see how the sliding down over the Home Button would mirror the sliding down of the screen, but the video says it's the ring that notices the touch so is it possible for it to understand a swipe with the current tech in the Home Button?

And perhaps they tested that option, too. I assume the goal of Reachability to reach the upper part of the screen without moving your hand. Is a slide down just to go all the way up a natural feeling? I am testing the motion you're suggesting with the reason for the motion against Apple's solution; I think Apple's feels better, but neither feels great to me at this point.

The slide over the button wouldn't mirror the screen movement exactly, it would be a ratio of the movement and doesn't need to be precise but I don't like the idea of moving the finger to the home button every time anyway. I'd rather it was a gesture up where you wanted to reach. They use slide in from the left to go back. If they aren't using slide in from the right (maybe in a downward arc), perhaps that can be used to pull the top down and the amount would be how much you drag down. The best solution of course is to not build stupidly sized phones in the first place. At least the 4.7" is close to workable without using this hack.

I often find myself turning the volume down on a phone call. I suspect this could be tricky with the 5.5", and Reachability won't help you with that.

• Reply 93 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by kiraniumbra View Post

What is opticL image stabilisation, would I miss it and why doesn't the 6 have it ?

Seems to physically move the lens and sensor in accordance with the jostling of the phone. It lowers blur on images, basically.

Since that’s the ONLY thing the real phone doesn’t have that the other one does, I’m guessing it was simply a matter of size constraints.

You forgot the battery life, which is considerably more on the Plus, unfortunately. 

• Reply 94 of 94
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    The same crappy FaceTime camera as the 5C???
    You've got to be kidding.
    So you need more than 720p FaceTime camera for sex chat because it looks right now for that little screen on the receiver screen? It's about connection speed, not resolution...for FaceTime calls