Everything you need to know about preordering your new iPhone 6 & selecting a model

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    grblade wrote: »
    Besides optical image stabilization, there's also some pretty big differences in battery life. 24 hours of 3G talk time and 16 days of standby time on the iPhone 6 Plus versus 14 hours of 3G talk time and 10 days of standby time on the iPhone 6 is worth noting.
    This is expected not powering the display, but what's amazing is it's like 10-11 hours of web/video vs 14.
  • Reply 22 of 91
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,898moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PeterJH3 View Post

LMAO, johnnyb. Talk about a major disappointment, the live stream was awful. I've never seen such a bad display from Apple. As far as the phone itself, I'm with rogifan - anything bigger than the 6 and I'll be close to my iPad mini. Not a fan of the 5.5" model.

I'm a member of a message board of about 40 guys who all trade Apple, in addition to many other stocks.  Several of us feel we missed trade opportunities because of the bad video feed.  When you're considering moving $10k at-a-time in options trades, a flaky feed that will potentially cause you to miss some market moving information erodes your confidence.  A lot of us just sat there doing nothing.  

• Reply 23 of 91
    mrmichael wrote: »
    I concerned about the iPhone 6 size. I love it but wonder will it fit in my pocket.

And what if you're used to run with your iPhone strapped on your arm? The 6+ would look pretty awkward in that situation.
    You'd need a backpack instead of an armband.
  • Reply 24 of 91
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,898moderator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by peteo View Post

the iPhone 6 plus has a 401 ppi screen the iPhone 6 a 321 ppi. thats a pretty big difference between the two

326 ppi for the 4.7", which is the same pixel density as all iPhones since the 4.  I think for many, the overall size of the device will be a more significant determiner than the difference in pixel density; the existing 326 ppi retina display is pretty darned sharp, plus you may hold the larger 4.7" phone a little bit farther from your eyes, plus it's got a polarizing filter, so overall a better proposition even at the same pixel density.

• Reply 25 of 91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

326 ppi for the 4.7", which is the same pixel density as all iPhones since the 4.  I think for many, the overall size of the device will be a more significant determiner than the difference in pixel density; the existing 326 ppi retina display is pretty darned sharp, plus you may hold the larger 4.7" phone a little bit farther from your eyes, plus it's got a polarizing filter, so overall a better proposition even at the same pixel density.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scapal View Post

And what if you're used to run with your iPhone strapped on your arm? The 6+ would look pretty awkward in that situation.

You'd need a backpack instead of an armband.

You need a Apple watch for that ;)

• Reply 26 of 91
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    the 6 plus does not have a polarizing filter?
  • Reply 27 of 91
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:

Those are the two least interesting metrics.  Who talks 14 hours or goes 10 days between charging?

They're just categories so that each user can calculate his/her combined usage based on these, duh. For a typical day, I would talk only 30-45 min (10% batt.), 3-4 hours browsing on both LTE/WiFi (25-33%), 30-40 SMS/iMessages/MMS (10%) and 2 hrs video (15-20%), other activities (10%) and the rest is standby. So I would say at the end of the day, I still have 20-30% battery and that's what exactly I have with my current 5/5S phone.

• Reply 28 of 91
    Quote:

Doesn't iOS have a difference experience depending on the size of the screen. Based on the demo I could see that the Mail and Message apps had a wider/rich view of content on the 6+. Even the contact list had photos in them. The differences on the software end is unclear.

• Reply 29 of 91
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    anyone seen a hands on where they put the iphone 6 plus in their pocket?
    Having a hard time trying to decide if i want the 4.7 or 5.5. Im leaning toward the 4.7 because 5.5 seems like it might be too big, but hard to tell with only a print out.
    5.5 has optical image stabilization and better battery life thats whats making the decision hard
  • Reply 30 of 91
    iphone 6plus 128 gb @ 500 w/ 2 year contract 9 or 10% tax on 950 Apple care at 100? case @50 - = $750
  • Reply 31 of 91
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    I wish the silver model was black on the front instead of white. That'd be my choice... but it looks like it's white, so I'm going with Space Gray. Silly name, nice color.
  • Reply 32 of 91
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

What is Apple going to do when the 5S continues selling really well, indicating that people don't want gargantuan freaking phones?

Will Apple come out with an updated 5S that includes the 6's innovations?

Hope that happens.

Also instead of spending $300 on a phone, I could buy 3 shares of AAPL.

Seriously tempted to keep the old phone.... enjoy it... use it... and not buy more tech until the old truly craps out.

• Reply 33 of 91
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    512ke wrote: »
    What is Apple going to do when the 5S continues selling really well, indicating that people don't want gargantuan freaking phones?

Hope that happens.

Seriously tempted to keep the old phone.... enjoy it... use it... and not buy more tech until the old truly craps out.
    Yep I'm keeping my 5s. Great phone, great design and can easily be used one handed. :)
  • Reply 34 of 91
    I'm curious about shipping of pre-ordered devices. In the past, devices have arrived on our door steps the day they are available in stores. But Phil Schiller stated that Apple would "start shipping them on the 19th."

What do we think?
  • Reply 35 of 91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

I'm just hoping that Apple's site handles this better than they did the live stream yesterday

Agreed, but with a week before launch date, it should be.

• Reply 36 of 91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ttollerton View Post

I'm curious about shipping of pre-ordered devices. In the past, devices have arrived on our door steps the day they are available in stores. But Phil Schiller stated that Apple would "start shipping them on the 19th."

What do we think?

I think with preorders starting a week before release we will have them on the 19th like in other years, but last year I don't think they arrived on launch day did they? For me it's easier to stay up until midnight at home one night ,even though it would be fun to wait in line and be downtown with everyone else.

• Reply 37 of 91
    peteo wrote: »
    the iPhone 6 plus has a 401 ppi screen the iPhone 6 a 321 ppi. thats a pretty big difference between the two

OMG OMG OMG /s
  • Reply 38 of 91
    512ke wrote: »

Hope that happens.

It will probably be regional.
    Asia likes their phablets and the Americas want their pocket-sized phones. And Europe hates Apple, so they'll probably buy the closest Android iPhone knock off.
  • Reply 39 of 91
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    peteo wrote: »
    anyone seen a hands on where they put the iphone 6 plus in their pocket?
    Having a hard time trying to decide if i want the 4.7 or 5.5. Im leaning toward the 4.7 because 5.5 seems like it might be too big, but hard to tell with only a print out.

Just make a cardboard mock up. I found a box where two pieces of cardboard from it were almost exactly the same thickness of the new iPhone. Cutting them into the size of the new iPhone Plus was easy. I was pleasantly surprised - it wasn't nearly as obnoxious as I assumed it would be. Indeed, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the plus now on Friday.
  • Reply 40 of 91
    Apple was going to do away with 16GB phones by offering only 64GB and 128GB versions for $299 and $399 respectively but the carriers all opposed. So to get what they want, Apple decides to throw the dogs a bone and offer the 16GB just to please these carriers. They still sell the phones that they intended to sell at the prices they intended to sell. The 16GB will cause a lot of people who like to compare to just jump to the 64GB version... the 16GB version will be like the budget 8GB that Apple has been selling in the low-end markets.