Samsung back on Apple-bashing bandwagon with new 'It Doesn't Take a Genius' ads

Comments

• Reply 161 of 193
    philboogie wrote: »
    Really? The sports watches with GPS in them that I have seen have battery life of 4-8 hours. I would presume that polling the satellite takes much more out of your battery life than searching for a new cell tower as a cell tower has a reach of as much as 1.5 kilometre and GPS polling can be set by the user, I believe maximum is every 3 seconds.

All a bit speculative on my part as I don't know if cellular polling requires more energy but the frequency of polling is much more often with GPS than cellular.

Gees, I hope I'm making sense here. Nice topic; feedback is welcomed by me (just understand that this is probably my last post for today and I don't even know if I have time tomorrow, so may not respond until Sunday).

A basic location from GPS, not A-GPS is considerably more power efficient than cellular. Now this may seem wrong when you consider how turn-by-turn directions on your iPhone is a battery hog but that's doing many other powerful things with GPS.

Even with chip size and power improvemets for a given performance I don't forsee this being resolved until a new battery tech is developed for mass production.

PS: (Assuming you aren't reading this for a couple day) where did you go?
  • Reply 162 of 193
    relic wrote: »
    malax wrote: »

Really?  Explain the watch ad for me.  How does that help Samsung sell their watches?  And the one about the screen size pretty much just tells anyone living under a rock that one of Samsung's perceived advantages just disappeared.

Or maybe you just forgot the \s?
    Samsungs new watch <span style="line-height:1.4em;">has a built in 3G unit, as in doesn't require a phone to operate, not rocket science here. Wasn't a very good ad, I did enjoy the others though.</span>

Good to see you post! For me, the Apple Watch has nothing on that hybrid you posted.
  • Reply 163 of 193
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think we're at least another 10 years away from a smartwatch being able to have cellular HW without taking up much room for it and the requisite battery capacity.

Samsung already did it 5 years ago with their S9110 and their new S Gear, the one being compared in the Samsung ad has a 3G module for stand alone phone functionality.

Samsung S Gear (3G, see the sim card placeholder in the back)

Samsung S9110 (3G 2009)

• Reply 164 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Good to see you post! For me, the Apple Watch has nothing on that hybrid you posted.

Thanks, I'll poke my head in once in a while. I agree, a mechanical watch with a clear LCD display on top is defiantly the direction I want to see smartwatches go.

https://kairoswatches.com/

• Reply 165 of 193
    Samsung already did it 5 years ago…

No, no they didn't. They added cellular HW to a watch, but they didn't make a good product. The technology isn't there yet.

This is why we will never see eye to eye. You think being able to say "First!" by checking off a spec sheet with a poorly implemented feature is the same as creating a viable product.
  • Reply 166 of 193
    Thanks, I'll poke my head in once in a while. I agree, a mechanical watch with a clear LCD display on top is defiantly the direction I want to see smartwatches go.

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ndycU_dUHNQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Such a cool watch!
  • Reply 167 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

No, no they didn't. They added cellular HW to a watch, but they didn't make a good product. The technology isn't there yet.

This is why we will never see eye to eye. You think being able to say "First!" by checking off a spec sheet with a poorly implemented feature is the same as creating a viable product.

Silly, I was explaining the ad to the person who didn't get it, I never said Samsung's product was good or first, heck, I don't even think Apples Watch is all that decent so I would defiantly not say Samsungs is. You're jumping to conclusions, you worded your comment to me as if their was no such thing right now, it was hard to understand.

• Reply 168 of 193
    Silly, I was explaining the ad to the person who didn't get it, I never said Samsung's product was good or first, heck, I don't even think Apples Watch is all that decent so I would defiantly not say Samsungs is. You're jumping to conclusions, you worded your comment to me as if their was no such thing right now, it was hard to understand.

1) I thought my qualification (without taking up much room for it and the requisite battery capacity) was sufficient. Yes, I know these exist and have existed for many years. Even before the iPhone there was this monstrosity from Samsung(?).

Then in 2006 this actually gave me hope but the way we interact with CE has evolved so much that a basic cellphone in a watch (read: not a smartwatch) isn't going to cut it for the future.

2) I am not a big fan of the ?Watch either. It's missing some key "killer apps" that I think would be easy for Apple to implement with their current setup, it looks too big in pictures, and the need for daily charging is an issue for me. At this point I do not plan on buying one.

A "killer app" that would get me psyched to buy it on day one would be having the ?Watch alert me with a vibration and/or sound when the BT goes outside a certain range which may mean I'm forgetting my iPhone at home as I'm rushing to work or leaving it at a restaurant, or whatever. I read that NFC on the ?Watch works by having you input a PIN into the device to activate and that it will stay activated until you remove the watch. It knows it's been removed due to the sensors on the back. Because of that I'd also like the option to have my Mac and iPhone auto-lock when I'm x-distance away for added security (and perhaps my Mac unlock when I'm x-distance away unless they add Touch ID, but auto-locking would be a major security win, especially for those that have their iPhones snatched from their hands as their are actively using them).
  • Reply 169 of 193
    @SolipsismX: yep.

I don't think the age of smart wearables has arrived yet; it still looks years off to me.

The Apple Watch has no doubt had years of thought and effort to get it to where it is, but if even Apple, with their huge resources, still hit so many brick walls, that says to me that we're not at the big time yet.
  • Reply 170 of 193
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

image another paid Samsung's slave lol. Samsung marketing group must be peeing in their pants now to see the last market share parting them. They could survive because Apple let them. Now, Apple present in every category that Samsung once owned... 2 versions of iPhone 6 really shake up the mobile phone world. Tim Cooks is a genius behind this decision: 4.7" to continue the domination in segment < 5" while 5.5" will take over the Phablet market. Brilliant.

The only "paid" thing I am is a "paid iOS developer".  Open your damn eyes and stop being a bootlicker.

• Reply 171 of 193
    Quote:

Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Go back to Macrumors

I think my account was banned there...you know, for pointing out the truth.

• Reply 172 of 193
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Steve jobs could talk grandly, but he also was very low key when showing off products. He let the products speak for themselves, and acted with his so-called humility and humbleness (we know he didn't have it during keynotes, but acted as best he could).

I'd prefer low-key and let the product and specs speak for themselves.

Yes, of course, Jobs talked about how great the products were, but stopped there without grandstanding too much and showed off the cool features. There was a strong subtlety there.

Admittedly: haven't watched an Apple keynote since Jobs' passing. The compelling buzz is gone. There still is buzz with the controlled leaks. The pied piper is gone, though.

Anyway, what's it all matter. Samsung appears desperate to try anything. They look pathetic. Worth a laugh at. Their ads to make fun of Apple actually backfire, to me at least, and it's more advertising and exposure for Apple, in a positive way.

Never talk about your competitor, if you can help it.

Well put.  Steve's stamp isn't there any more.

• Reply 173 of 193
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

It's often referred to as an "opinion".

Burn him!  He's a witch!

• Reply 174 of 193
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Yes, this is the way to go!

• Reply 175 of 193
    Originally Posted by Rickers View Post

I think my account was banned there...you know, for pointing out the truth.

I buy that.

Originally Posted by Rickers View Post

Well put.  Steve's stamp isn't there any more.

His office is. I’m of two minds about that. It’s a wonderful tribute, but it’s also slightly odd.

• Reply 176 of 193
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">I think my account was banned there...you know, for pointing out the truth.</span>

I buy that.

I don't. The only way to get banned from MacRumors is to point out some of the Fandroid lies. I had a few posts "edited" with a warning email, told Arn who laid the chunk, and never went back. So I guess I'm technically not banned....
  • Reply 177 of 193
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Well put.  Steve's stamp isn't there any more.</span>

His office is. I’m of two minds about that. It’s a wonderful tribute, but it’s also slightly odd.

Yeah, at first glance it sounds like Lenin's Tomb. But unless he's embalmed in a glass coffin in there, I guess it is just a heartwarming tribute.
  • Reply 178 of 193
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

The only way to get banned from MacRumors is to point out some of the Fandroid lies.

Well~… ???????????? Still, valid point. Arn should’ve stayed a surgeon. Then his negligence of his site would’ve been justified.

• Reply 179 of 193

I don't think the age of smart wearables has arrived yet; it still looks years off to me.

The Apple Watch has no doubt had years of thought and effort to get it to where it is, but if even Apple, with their huge resources, still hit so many brick walls, that says to me that we're not at the big time yet.

Automobile Classifieds

Free Post Classifieds?

• Reply 180 of 193
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

The "I'm a Mac" ads humorously pointed out some shortcomings in Windows, all of which were completely true. They never even mentioned Microsoft by name (Hell, they never mentioned Windows by name)

Yes they did.  They mentioned Windows, Microsoft, Vista, Office, Zune, and probably more that I can't remember.