Apple's iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus reach record 4 million preorders in first day

245

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 97
    Impressive numbers, but it still won't silence the naysayers...who cares anyway when there's no doubt that this is shaping up to be the biggest launch ever! :-) happy days.
  • Reply 22 of 97
    lowepg wrote: »
    Wait... 4M pre-orders in 24 hours????

    But I thought this was just a rehash of a 2012 google phone?!?!!?!?

    I've realized that the android commercials are not about getting new customers, it's about trying to retain the ones they have by making fun of people who become apple fans
  • Reply 23 of 97
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sestewart View Post

     

    Still no "off-contract" pricing available on AT&T or Verizon carriers, they're forcing customers into either 2 year contracts or their "next/edge" financing scams.

     

    It's very irritating that carriers forced customers into BYOD off contract pricing to lower monthly bills over the past year, then they collude with Apple to not offer off-contract pricing at product launch. No where can you buy an off-contract phone for a carrier other than T-Mobile.

     

    Yes, i said collude. Which is exactly what this smells like.


     

    In Canada, I see unlock phones on the Apple website.  Why do you want to buy an unlock phone at a carrier?? imo carriers not selling unlock phones is normal...

  • Reply 24 of 97
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    If I recall correctly, the previous record was 4 million over a weekend.

    Now, it's that number in 24 hours.

    Pretty impressive, but as was said above me, hardly surprising.

    Previous record was 9m during opening weekend.

    I'm not sure how I feel about 4m in 24 hours. Apple is deliberately avoiding comparison with previous weekend numbers so does it not compare well against the previous number of 9m opening weekend or do they just want people to be in the fog guessing (adds to excitement)? Also, it's unlikely they maintained 4m per day over the weekend so the 12m whisper number is likely out the door. I watched the store closely and it wasn't until late Sunday that delivery for all models/configurations became unavailable opening day. As late as Sunday afternoon you could get the Verizon gold 128gb 6 on opening day.

    On the other hand, the online mess this year seemed to be longer then previous years so the 24 hour number may actually be impressive given how long people had to wait until the systems settled down.
  • Reply 25 of 97
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,157member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

     

     

    In Canada, I see unlock phones on the Apple website.  Why do you want to buy an unlock phone at a carrier?? imo carriers not selling unlock phones is normal...




    I think he means no lower rate once your contract ends, could be wrong. The Americans get ripped off when it comes to mobile phone contracts.

  • Reply 26 of 97

    Off contract pricing on AT&T, buy on Next 12 program, pay all 20 payments upfront, have AT&T unlock phone.  The 20 payments is the same as the purchase price as there is no interest applied to the contract.  Unless you want an unlocked phone for something other than your own use.

  • Reply 27 of 97

    It's so hard to compare the figures each year.

     

    Sometimes it's the first 48 hours, sometimes it's over the weekend period.

     

    Did that initial 24 hour figure, impressive i know, then crash. Othewise why not give an EVEN better number for the 48 hours?

     

    They rarely specify the models - just saying "iPhone", so has that previous include the older models?

     

    Above all though the figures are global, and for many years those initial numbers of territories in the first batch were growing for the simultaneous launch window.

     

    We also dont know the mix. Whereas some people last year were paying a premium for 64Gb versions, perhaps some are saving 100$ this year with the "free" upgraded memory. Others - more presumably - will have made that up with the 5.5" purchase. But we wont know about the margin/profit of the record for sometime year.. 

     

    Of course, this is normal and the way to be the most upbeat about stuff - and gets people fired up to want one if they were hesitating. The point is apple can pick and chose which numbers and how to present them to best paint a picture. A "record" in this context is fairly ripe to analyse further. 

  • Reply 28 of 97
    Someone needs to out AT&T, I preordered with them and keep getting emails pushing my date out a week at a time, will never do that again.
  • Reply 29 of 97
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sestewart View Post

     

    Still no "off-contract" pricing available on AT&T or Verizon carriers, they're forcing customers into either 2 year contracts or their "next/edge" financing scams. 

     

    It's very irritating that carriers forced customers into BYOD off contract pricing to lower monthly bills over the past year, then they collude with Apple to not offer off-contract pricing at product launch. No where can you buy an off-contract phone for a carrier other than T-Mobile. 

     

    Yes, i said collude. Which is exactly what this smells like. 




    Why is it a scam?  Can you detail?  It seems like a good deal when you add up the payments vs just having me pay it all at the same time.

  • Reply 30 of 97
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sestewart View Post

     

    Still no "off-contract" pricing available on AT&T or Verizon carriers, they're forcing customers into either 2 year contracts or their "next/edge" financing scams. 

     

    It's very irritating that carriers forced customers into BYOD off contract pricing to lower monthly bills over the past year, then they collude with Apple to not offer off-contract pricing at product launch. No where can you buy an off-contract phone for a carrier other than T-Mobile. 

     

    Yes, i said collude. Which is exactly what this smells like. 




    There is no scam.

     

    The only "scam" is paying $949 for a phone plus tax just to have the privilege of what? Switching carriers every other month? Because that's necessary? Or makes any sense at all?

     

    Why is it that everyone that thinks they're beating the system (but actually getting screwed) by buying off contract phones has to criticize the sensible methods that have been put in place for people to purchase smartphones?

     

    If you think AT&T NEXT is a scam, or anything other than the most cost effective way to purchase an iPhone and maintain upgrade eligibility, you are delusional, and desperately in need of an economics lesson.

  • Reply 31 of 97
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post



    They are selling these phones to people who are already apple fans.

     

    As opposed to selling products to people that don't like Apple products?

     

    In other shocking news, the sky is blue.

     

    But to your point:

    You're right. And, somehow, there seems to be more of the Apple fans than last time.... go figure...

  • Reply 32 of 97
    rob bonner wrote: »

    Why is it a scam?  Can you detail?  It seems like a good deal when you add up the payments vs just having me pay it all at the same time.

    It's a scam when you're paying monthly for the phone, plus a monthly service fee that's the same as the subsidized price. One is paying for the phone twice.
  • Reply 33 of 97
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I see Yahoo finance is saying investors are disappointed by this figure because it didn't include the entire weekend. Oy vey.
  • Reply 34 of 97
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rob Bonner View Post

     



    Why is it a scam?  Can you detail?  It seems like a good deal when you add up the payments vs just having me pay it all at the same time.




    Its not a scam....certain people are completely out to lunch with their off-contract phones...they think they're beating the system in some way...but actually losing money compared to other buyers.

     

    They are the same people that buy cars instead of leasing them. Because at the end of a 6 year finance having paid $500 a month for 72 months....they believe they are left with a vehicle that will just keep on working...instead of what they're actually left with, a vehicle that has already hit its life expectancy and will continuously deteriorate until you get sick of out of pocket $2000 repair bills that are nothing but a bandaid on a crumbling doughnut.

  • Reply 35 of 97
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    It's a scam when you're paying monthly for the phone, plus a monthly service fee that's the same as the subsidized price. One is paying for the phone twice.

    Except that's not how it works at all. People that opt for NEXT pay $15-25 per month less for the SERVICE.

  • Reply 36 of 97
    pmz wrote: »
    Except that's not how it works at all. People that opt for NEXT pay $15-25 per month less for the SERVICE.

    Not on VZW, which the OP did mention.
  • Reply 37 of 97
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

    But,But,but,but,butt,butter.....thought no one wants large phones?

     

    I thought all wanted 4 inch phones? huh?


     

    No, we just didn't want the available larger phones... ;)

     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sestewart View Post

     

    Still no "off-contract" pricing available on AT&T or Verizon carriers, they're forcing customers into either 2 year contracts or their "next/edge" financing scams. 

     

    It's very irritating that carriers forced customers into BYOD off contract pricing to lower monthly bills over the past year, then they collude with Apple to not offer off-contract pricing at product launch. No where can you buy an off-contract phone for a carrier other than T-Mobile. 

     

    Yes, i said collude. Which is exactly what this smells like. 


    Well, that is just complete rubbish, and inaccurate rubbish at that... At 3 AM EST, I was able to preorder, through Verizon, an off contract iPhone 6. I, however, chose to go to the edge plan.

     

    But I don't expect you to take my word for it, so, here is a screenshot. I know, nasty little facts spoiling your conspiracy theory.

    (I will admit it does not initially come up, but there is pretty clear text available, and clicking it brings up the second image).

     

     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

     

     

    I think as soon as China is onboard, the off-contract will be available.  I think they want to curb the grey maarket of people who buy unlocked iPhone in the US and sell them in China.


    Good point, and not like that hasn't happened, but, as I show above, you CAN buy off contract.

     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MazeCookie View Post

     



    Wow, that's really, really surprising.

     

    In the UK you can buy off contract, outright from launch day.

     

    I'm really surprised Apple force U.S customers into 2 year contract near launch time, that's not what I would expect from them.


    They don't. See above.

     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

     



    I think he means no lower rate once your contract ends, could be wrong. The Americans get ripped off when it comes to mobile phone contracts.


    Also incorrect. My wife and I are on a More Everything family plan. Her contract was up on 9/8. I called on 9/9, and they instantly reduced her monthly fee by $10/month. (we were on a 6 gb plan). Then, I realized that for the same amount we were paying for 2 iPhones and 6 GB, we could get 10 GB, because they take $25 off per line on 10 GB plus plans. My company has a discount on Verizon that makes the $10/2 GB jumps $7.50, so pay the $15 for going 6 GB to 10 GB, and the discount for her non contracted line (and non edge. Her 4S contract is up, so she is now paying less) went from $10/month to $25/month.

     

    I know it is easy to claim that carriers just want to rip us off, and they haven't, especially Verizon, done much to shed that image, but in this case, it isn't true.

  • Reply 38 of 97
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Serendip View Post





    Previous record was 9m during opening weekend.



    I'm not sure how I feel about 4m in 24 hours. Apple is deliberately avoiding comparison with previous weekend numbers so does it not compare well against the previous number of 9m opening weekend or do they just want people to be in the fog guessing (adds to excitement)? Also, it's unlikely they maintained 4m per day over the weekend so the 12m whisper number is likely out the door. I watched the store closely and it wasn't until late Sunday that delivery for all models/configurations became unavailable opening day. As late as Sunday afternoon you could get the Verizon gold 128gb 6 on opening day.



    On the other hand, the online mess this year seemed to be longer then previous years so the 24 hour number may actually be impressive given how long people had to wait until the systems settled down.

    It's impossible to compare to last year because there were no preorders for the flagship last year.

  • Reply 39 of 97

    Reason to buy an off-contract phone at a carrier is because of the way AT&T and Verizon price their mobile-share plans. Below is AT&T's "Next" program, which the smart phone access charge for 10Gb pricing is 15$ as opposed to on-contract pricing of 40$. 

     

    However, the only plans available in the US from AT&T or Apple are 12 year/24 month financing options through AT&T Next. Which still keeps you in a financing agreement with the carrier for 1 year or 2 years, depending on your financing, either a 20 installment plan of 37.50 or a 24 installment plan of 31.25. 

     

     

    The caveat to the Next/Edge plans is they assume you will trade in your device after 12 months or 18 months, so you get the "trade in value". If you're not the kind of person that trades off your devices, but hangs onto them as a back-up or gifts them to another family member, then Next is really not a great option. However, with AT&T's plan, you pay no down-payment, only sales tax. 

  • Reply 40 of 97
    rogifan wrote: »
    It's impossible to compare to last year because there were no preorders for the flagship last year.

    Agreed - don't think we can compare. The 9m sales were over the launch weekend, weren't they? Not pre-orders. Only the 5c was up for pre-order.
Sign In or Register to comment.