Rumor: Apple Watch to feature 512MB of RAM, 4GB of storage

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 96
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The Watch is only supported in stores and not online, which makes me wonder if that's due to a lack of security on the Watch. 

Huh?  How would you even use the watch to buy things online?  For that surely you'd need watch apps with stores and all sorts of stuff that would be painful to use on a watch?  I doubt it's anything to do with security and much more to do with it being a horrible user experience to even contemplate.

• Reply 82 of 96
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

Here's the thing, it won't actually hold content (it'll most likely be more of a conduit for iTunes or your iPhone's library), but, even then devs only have ~2gb to play and share with.

Good, because it imposes strict standards for app devs and will enforce lack of Watch app bloat.

Bad, because it will be harder for devs to produce apps that operate on a higher level of independence than their iPhone counterparts, maybe even for things like Core Data storage.

But it's all speculative - I can't wait to see the Watch SDK.

If you look on Apple's web site, it actually DOES hold content. Music, Photos for sure (and probably even video). I think you'll have a playlist on your phone that will sync with the watch when in range, maybe even while it plays.

• Reply 83 of 96
    foggyhill wrote: »
    nobodyy wrote: »

Here's the thing, it won't actually hold content (it'll most likely be more of a conduit for iTunes or your iPhone's library), but, even then devs only have ~2gb to play and share with.

Good, because it imposes strict standards for app devs and will enforce lack of Watch app bloat.
    Bad, because it will be harder for devs to produce apps that operate on a higher level of independence than their iPhone counterparts, maybe even for things like Core Data storage.

But it's all speculative - I can't wait to see the Watch SDK.

If you look on Apple's web site, it actually DOES hold content. Music, Photos for sure (and probably even video). I think you'll have a playlist on your phone that will sync with the watch when in range, maybe even while it plays.

Photos on a watch. No, Apple.
  • Reply 84 of 96
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You nailed it! Now we know why Apple have hired so many fashion experts ... it's to design new shirts and pants ... image

iShirt 

too bad i never bought the socks when they came out :(

• Reply 85 of 96
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You nailed it! Now we know why Apple have hired so many fashion experts ... it's to design new shirts and pants ... image

• Reply 86 of 96
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

I have a beautiful ceramic RADO, and no way in heck am I going to replace it with an iWatch. Again, here are the facts:

- a totally fugly design, bulky, square, absolutely uninspiring, absolutely un-Apple like;

- ridiculous battery life for a watch;

- people do NOT want to be connected and tracked at all times; face it.

As for the iPhone, it's gonna sell like hotcakes just because, despite its merely evolutionary iteration.

"...absolutely un-Apple like;"

What hubris!  Doesn't Apple get to decide what Apple is like?  They do, and they have.

And the iPhone is not going to sell like hotcakes "just because."  It's the best engineered, best designed phone on the planet. That probably has something to do with record sales.

• Reply 87 of 96
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

That thing is not only fugly; it's also absolutely DOA.

I think it's what you'd expect from the first (entirely) new Apple product post Steve Jobs.

Jony Ive is still there, so it will still have amazing fit and finish and top quality materials. Check. Federighi and his software team are still there so it will still have fun software with intuitive interfaces. Check. The only things you would expect to be different are things that it is the responsibility of the CEO to do, that is, ensure that the overall idea/concept of the product makes sense. And in the case of the Apple Watch, I would say, Steve is sorely missed...

• Reply 88 of 96
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    crowley wrote: »
    Huh?  How would you even use the watch to buy things online?  For that surely you'd need watch apps with stores and all sorts of stuff that would be painful to use on a watch?  I doubt it's anything to do with security and much more to do with it being a horrible user experience to even contemplate.

It has wifi and bluetooth so you would just be sitting at a computer, the browser can ask you to pay via Apple Pay and you would do the same as you would at a store, just double tap the watch button or use your phone and you authorize the transaction. This would generally be an online store that doesn't have your card details already. This limits your risk when making payments online as you aren't putting card details out over the internet to potentially be stored on a server that can be compromised. Some online companies don't want to store card details so you have to type the numbers in for every purchase, plus expiry date, card type, card owner name and security numbers.

They could add something to the Mac to allow this without a device - a fingerprint reader on the power button would be neat but a password would work too.
  • Reply 89 of 96

Having one of these would probably make me feel like Agent 007.

• Reply 90 of 96

really v helpfil information

• Reply 91 of 96
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Marvin wrote: »
    Being able to make payments without the phone nearby would be useful even though it's not unique to the Watch. The Watch is only supported in stores and not online, which makes me wonder if that's due to a lack of security on the Watch. The following page says the Watch is supported for payments when paired with a phone but it does say the Watch will have its own secure element to store codes:

https://www.apple.com/apple-pay/

It says that if the phone is stolen, you can wipe it. Plus it needs fingerprints to unlock anyway but you can't remote wipe the Watch. Maybe unpairing it from the phone will prevent it from being used for payments if it's stolen. I wonder who then covers the bill for any fraudulent transactions done before it was disabled.

When it's removed from your wrist it's locked. It may wipe itself at that point until it gets paired and unlocked by the phone again.

Why would you want to use the watch online?
    Opening doors and starting cars can be done with the phone too and again the security becomes a factor - will an insurance company cover damage to your car if your watch is stolen and used to unlock and steal your car? It looks like the Watch antenna won't be as powerful as the iPhone one. They say to hold the watch face near the device when paying. An iPhone could potentially unlock a door or allow you to start a car while it's in your pocket but it's more secure if it needs the fingerprint.

It's on your wrist. That's the security factor. If removed from your wrist it's no longer a key.
    It's a great idea for buying fast food or transport tickets. The sooner we move to being coinless the better IMO but there will be coins as long as things aren't priced in whole units. I expect stores can give change back via NFC as a credit instead of coins.

WTF? Since when do they give back coins in a credit card transaction?
    I really like the idea of paying with just a wrist band of some sort but not one that costs $350.

I really like the idea of a smartphone but not one that costs $350.
    edit: the following site says that when you remove the Watch it requires a passcode to unlock it:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2607181/why-apple-pay-could-be-the-mobile-payment-system-youll-actually-use.html

I guess it'll just come up with a 4 text field input with a number pad. I don't think that's been shown in demos so far.

I would expect that you unlock with the paired phone:

Put on watch. Pair watch if it isn't. Authorize watch using phone and a pin/rouchID (in case you just left your phone unlocked lying around) for 2 factor security for the watch.

When the watch is on your arm the two factor security for transactions is your heartbeat and the watch itself.

I could authorize my kid to use my credit card by authorizing his watch paired with my phone and my PIN.
  • Reply 92 of 96
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterChat View Post

Having one of these would probably make me feel like Agent 007.

Needs a laser, removable (digital) crown that has a garrote, and geiger counter....

• Reply 93 of 96
    Quote:

It has wifi and bluetooth so you would just be sitting at a computer, the browser can ask you to pay via Apple Pay and you would do the same as you would at a store, just double tap the watch button or use your phone and you authorize the transaction. 

I guess that could be useful, but the iPhone 6 won't do that either (save indirectly, via Handoff), so again, I don't think the security of the ?WATCH is the concern.

• Reply 94 of 96
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    nht wrote: »
    When it's removed from your wrist it's locked. It may wipe itself at that point until it gets paired and unlocked by the phone again.

People would have to do this every day though when charging it. The passcode itself may be enough security, it's all that protects a bank card anyway, except the watch would be one code for all cards stored.
    Why would you want to use the watch online?

If Macs get Apple Pay support, it wouldn't be necessary but otherwise, it's just convenient for the payment step. You wouldn't do the shopping on the watch, just the payment authorization.
    It's on your wrist. That's the security factor. If removed from your wrist it's no longer a key.

I don't think that would work. You could be out running or at the beach without a phone and have to remove the watch to stop it getting wet. It can't just stop being a key once you remove it from your wrist unless it can detect differences in the people wearing it and just do a temporary lockdown until you put it back on.
    WTF? Since when do they give back coins in a credit card transaction?

If you had cash you wanted to use to pay but didn't want the change, they could give you the change back via NFC. Obviously you could pay in the first place digitally but there will be cases where you have cash on you and want to spend that and not have to carry the remainder in loose change. I'd like to see coins taken out of circulation entirely but cash bills likely won't happen so this would be the backup - you just get the remainder digitally.
    I really like the idea of a smartphone but not one that costs $350.

A smartphone is way more valuable than a watch in terms of functionality.
  • Reply 95 of 96
    Quote:

People would have to do this every day though when charging it. The passcode itself may be enough security, it's all that protects a bank card anyway, except the watch would be one code for all cards stored.

A requirement (or an optional security setting) for TouchID or your iTunes/Apple password in order to switch cards would be a pretty good idea, I think.

• Reply 96 of 96
    There is a very good reason for having a working GPS radio onboard. I have a Garmin GPS watch for running. It is small, light and allows me to track distance and pace as I run. (No map, just speed and distance data.) It would be great if Apple Watch did this plus more. If it comes without a GPS radio on board, I would have to bring my iPhone running to get distance and pace info as I run-- forget it! Serious runners will not tolerate having to carry an iPhone running. Never! If Apple puts this capability into their watch, I'm in. If not, then I won't buy it until it does have GPS.