Video demonstrates reported iPhone 6 Plus bending issues

Comments

• Reply 41 of 543
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

As others have pointed out, this is nothing new. My iPhone 5 bent at the same stress point by the volume buttons. People are just going to have to exercise a little bit more common sense. That said, I'm not sure why Apple is so obsessed with thinness. They could easily have made it a little bit thicker, and thus not had the lens protrude, all while picking up additional structural rigidity. I'm sure Apple has designed the iPhone to withstand a certain amount of bending force, after that, all bets are off.

• Reply 42 of 543

Honestly, how does it stack up with Note 3? I mean their sizes are similar, they should have the same problem. 

Any words?

• Reply 43 of 543
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    When has there not been a "gate" after a new Apple product launch? When has the media not had it in for Apple? This is just par for the course.
  • Reply 44 of 543
    Introducing the iArmWatchPlus™

With careful bending you can just bend one around your wrist !!

When you need a full flat screen to use safari or play a game, simply bend it back to normal
  • Reply 45 of 543

LG knows how to do it right

LG Flex 6-inch Android smartphone.

• Reply 46 of 543

The 6+ is not a pants-pocket phone unless you're Ronald McDonald. 

TAKE CARE OF YOUR THINGS, bottom line. 

• Reply 47 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

LG knows how to do it right

LG Flex 6-inch Android smartphone.

Samsung is rumored to be releasing a bendable SE Note 3 and the Note 4 is rumored to be built with a bendable screen.

• Reply 48 of 543
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Marvin wrote: »
    This has happened with the iPhone 5/5s too:

http://www.cultofmac.com/248603/iphone-5ses-are-bending-in-peoples-pockets/

The temperature in the pocket after long periods of time makes it easier to bend the metal, especially if the device has been running hot itself.
    It has to get pretty hot to soften metal so I'm sure that isn't the problem.
    This will be worse with the 6+ due to the size as there's more leverage at the weak points.
    Leverage is of course a thing of physics and with our current educational system most recent high school graduates won't be able to recognize what is going on. Anybody that has ever handled sheet metal in their lifetime will realize how easy it can be to bend stuff.
    Initial buyers are returning the 6+ for iPhone 6 models because they are finding them to be too big anyway:
    The market was already drying up For phablets well before Apple entered the market. Only a small minority of the user base would see anything attractive as cell phone in these devices. Ultimately a cell phone has to be portable.
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/22/6827863/apple-iphone-6-plus

and stats here show the 6 outselling the 6+ between 5:1-10:1:
    Well stats are stats and as such I'd rather see real data. However I don't really see much room for real success with the iPhone + long term. As noted the fad has already ruined it's course, most people want to keep their phones manageable and pocketable.
    https://mixpanel.com/trends/#report/iphone_6

It probably won't be long before they just discontinue the phablet model.

Possibly. They will need to settle for far less sales than the vocal minority seems to think will happen. If Apple went 64 bit in an iPhone 4 sized device I'd be all over it. This was a good solid platform for years.
  • Reply 49 of 543
    What's funny is that amount of fleas that fly out of the cracks when posts like this first appear..

I got the 6+. Anyone out there with a brain would first notice that out of the box this device is fragile. It feels exactly like a small iPad in structure so I handle it with care like I do with iPad.

My 5s got a little more abuse but I take care of my stuff.

I'm more concerned with whether the 6+ size fits into my lifestyle NOT the other way around. It's a incredible phone for home use but I take it out of my pocket anytime I sit down just knowing its huge and NOT pliable - duh.

For me the act of concealing it in my pocket is more out of fear of theft etc.

Otherwise the phone is really great. Very happy with the incredible camera, beautiful display. I held it next to a Note 3 yesterday. No comparison...
  • Reply 50 of 543
    Really even with the 6, I tend not to keep it in my pocket as much. Happily, it feels great in my hand so I don't mind carrying it. The simple fact is that it's not my 4, and I'm okay with that.

Get a belt holster, people.

Also...the 6+ sales are lower because there isn't enough supply. Demand is not a problem at this point.
  • Reply 51 of 543
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    This story is everywhere right now.
    Yes because with the internet everything goes viral. If it's a legitimate issue and customers are easily bending their 6 Plus then Apple needs to address it and fix it. But right now it's hard to tell if this is a real issue or media hysteria over one video.
  • Reply 52 of 543
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member

That's why I wouldn't buy iPhone Plus besides it's for women with purses, not for men who are rugged and active.  

I have iPhone 6 and it's still too "big" for my pockets. I want to effortlessly slide my iphone into my pocket (I have leather case) and not worry if I am bending it or not. 

Sure miss the iPhone 5 factor - but how will I get without the NFC? 

• Reply 53 of 543
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by netrox View Post

I have iPhone 6 and it's still too "big" for my pockets. 

Agreed. I've been carrying mine around in my hand. I learned my lesson when I bent my iPhone 5. Might have to get a better case (I have the silicone one), to safeguard against drops.

• Reply 54 of 543

The guy's hands are trembling as he applies force to the phone.  Moderate force my ass.  Now do the same thing (apply force to the point that your hands are trembling) to other phones and see if the results are significantly different.  

• Reply 55 of 543
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Gimme a break! 

DESIGN imperatives for iPhone: 1) Works great, 2) Looks pretty, 3) Reasonably resilient.

Maybe the iPhone Plus is the smart phone equivalent of the Corvette Stingray.

If I were Samsung, I would create lots of these bending iPhone 6 Plus videos and then release a deliberately flexible phone ASAP.

I hope this blows over, and these bended phones turn out to be abused phones that have suffered cruel and unusual treatment from their unreasonable owners.

I hope.

• Reply 56 of 543

iPhone 6 owners are just going to have to leave their tight pants at home

• Reply 57 of 543
    Originally Posted by rocaroundaworld View Post

As a new iPhone 6 Plus owner...

I speak for everyone who isn’t a complete moron when I say

GET BENT, TROLL.

• Reply 58 of 543
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Should have made it out of liquid metal.

I always like to wait about a month after launch before deciding which new iPhone to buy, though I was not really considering the 6 Plus anyway. I knew it would be too big for front pants pocket.
  • Reply 59 of 543
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    double post
  • Reply 60 of 543
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    rob55 wrote: »

As others have pointed out, this is nothing new. My iPhone 5 bent at the same stress point by the volume buttons. People are just going to have to exercise a little bit more common sense. That said, I'm not sure why Apple is so obsessed with thinness. They could easily have made it a little bit thicker, and thus not had the lens protrude, all while picking up additional structural rigidity. I'm sure Apple has designed the iPhone to withstand a certain amount of bending force, after that, all bets are off.

Better battery life too.