Video demonstrates reported iPhone 6 Plus bending issues

Comments

• Reply 81 of 543

Unfortunately, this is newsworthy! Apple might comp 6 Plusers with a protective case and I expect the material composition of the 6S Plus will be strengthened. Yesterday I read cargo pockets are making a comeback at the mall this holiday season thanks to 6 Plus size. 

IMO Apple made the watch to reduce the need to handle the new larger phones, especially the 6 Plus!

• Reply 82 of 543
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterRyan07 View Post

Weird how it's only affecting the 6 and not the 6. Guess it's just the larger footprint?

You go that backwards.

It’s affecting 6 only & not the 6.

• Reply 83 of 543
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

"A video posted to YouTube on Tuesday confirms Apple's iPhone 6 Plus can be bent using a moderate amount of force"

Shouldn't that be "significant effort" rather than "moderate amount."  Look at the strain on his fingers.

I'm pretty sure I could snap my 5s with my bare hands if I felt like it.  And my MacBook Pro as well.  La de da.

• Reply 84 of 543
    Originally Posted by rocaroundaworld View Post

As a new iPhone 6 Plus owner... I have to admit this is pretty troubling.

So shut up and sell it.

...for the price of the phone this is pretty unacceptable.

So shut up and sell it. Metal bends. No amount of money can stop that.

Hopefully Apple addresses this concern, soon...

“Take care of your possessions, morons.” –Tim Cook, Sent from my iPhone

This may be cause for Apple to supply all plus owners with a free protective case to withstand the bend...

Shut up.

If they don't answer to this at all, I would be really shocked.

No one cares what a concern troll thinks.

Especially considering the overwhelming number of people experiencing the issue.

Shut up and go away.

I've been lucky enough not to yet, but I'm definitely not taking any risks.  

You’re not going to act like a complete buffoon by bending your phone? Wow, what a concept.

• Reply 85 of 543

Basically, what we have here is people wanted an iPhone 6 scandal. So they started trying to snap their phones in half. Now they claim it's Apple's fault! LMAO!!!!

• Reply 86 of 543
    noicc1138 wrote: »
    Bendghazi.

You made my night.

In agreement with another post, I also noticed the guy's hands trembling. No one would apply that much force by accident in real life.
  • Reply 87 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MisterRyan07 View Post

Weird how it's only affecting the 6 and not the 6. Guess it's just the larger footprint?

You go that backwards.

It’s affecting 6 only & not the 6.

Now you've both got it wrong!

The only phone being affected is the 6, not the 6.

• Reply 88 of 543

Common sense tells you it and any other big thing may bend in your pocket with enough pressure.  http://www.cultofmac.com/297404/get-bent-shocking-history-bent-smartphones/

• Reply 89 of 543
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Basically, what we have here is people wanted an iPhone 6 scandal so they started trying to snap their phones in half. LMAO!!!!

It’s a testament to the quality of the device this time around. No “yellowing screens”, no “purple lens”, no “antenna problems”. There’s literally nowhere else for them to go but wanton destruction of the device.

The 6S’ major launch complaint will be that it can’t survive in a microwave.

Yes, I know about the psychopaths pushing the “Wave” scam. They need to be punished.

• Reply 90 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Initial buyers are returning the 6+ for iPhone 6 models because they are finding them to be too big anyway:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/22/6827863/apple-iphone-6-plus

The Verge has been on a downward spiral for a while. One obviously click bait editorial does not a population make. 

Quote:

and stats here show the 6 outselling the 6+ between 5:1-10:1:

https://mixpanel.com/trends/#report/iphone_6

It probably won't be long before they just discontinue the phablet model.

This is just silly. Apple has yet to even fulfill 6+ preorders for those that ordered in the 2nd hour of availability based on the 200 page thread on macrumors, with those ordering now unavailable to even get it till November in some cases. We know Apple can only produce them at about 1:3 rate 6+:6, so that's all that's being reflected in those 'trends'. Let's see what the numbers are when supply actually catches up to demand. No doubt the 6 will be more popular, but the 6+ will be a success too. 

• Reply 91 of 543
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Apple should've made a more durable product. I can't in any way defend Apples phones being this easy to bend.

How "easy" is that exactly?  An Internet dude breaking something intentionally is not evidence of a flaw.  It's suggestive but certainly not conclusive.  But I do look forward to a bunch of follow up videos of people bending phones and laptops and other random things.

• Reply 92 of 543
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

How "easy" is that exactly?  An Internet dude breaking something intentionally is not evidence of a flaw.  It's suggestive but certainly not conclusive.  But I do look forward to a bunch of follow up videos of people bending phones and laptops and other random things.

I know. After I saw the video I made a second comment. Read that one above. The guy was literally struggling to get it to bend.

• Reply 93 of 543
    Un buh LEEV able.

This is a thinly milled-out aluminum shell just over a quarter inch thick and six and a quarter inches long. It is not made from stainless steel.

What the holy HECK is it doing in someone's pants pocket?

(My sister sat on her MacBook Air and bent it. What was it doing the driver's seat?)

No way is Apple responsible for someone's lack of common sense.
  • Reply 94 of 543
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RORWessels View Post

Every phone I've had has always recommended not putting the phone in your pocket. 

Oh, for cryin' out loud:

http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/rfsafety/rf-faqs.html#Q11

• Reply 95 of 543
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Quote:
    Initial buyers are returning the 6+ for iPhone 6 models because they are finding them to be too big anyway:

The market was already drying up For phablets well before Apple entered the market. Only a small minority of the user base would see anything attractive as cell phone in these devices. Ultimately a cell phone has to be portable.

Sorry but says who?  Or is that just your own disregard of Phablet sized devices?  I've read that it is a growing market as people are increasingly interested in big screen phones, especially in Asia, one of the biggest emerging markets.  A lot of Android users prefer bigger screens too hence why some of them are reported as switching.  Also Apple wouldn't introduce a Phablet class device if there weren't a growing market for one and I'll go along with them on this one.

• Reply 96 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It’s a testament to the quality of the device this time around. No “yellowing screens”, no “purple lens”, no “antenna problems”. There’s literally nowhere else for them to go but wanton destruction of the device.

The 6S’ major launch complaint will be that it can’t survive in a microwave.

Yes, I know about the psychopaths pushing the “Wave” scam. They need to be punished.

LMAO! When I buy a $750+ device it had better be bend proof and microwavable. 

• Reply 97 of 543
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,760member
    Marvin wrote: »
    It doesn't need to melt though. The structural strength just has to be affected by temperature. It doesn't look like Aluminium is affected much around 100 degrees Fahrenheit:

There's adjustments for fatigue. If the phone is bent one way and another during the course of a day, that might weaken it. It's unusual for it to happen so soon after purchase though so it probably is just down to people wearing too tight clothing and sitting with it in their pockets.

Interesting graph, thanks. Aluminium is weird in that when it's heated, it doesn't really go through much of a "softer" stage, it just suddenly liquifies, as shown on the graph. Bit like how ice doesn't get soft when warmed.

Fatigue will actually make the point harder, and liable to crack rather than bend. The recessed volume buttons will decrease the strength at the buttons though. I've not seen a teardown so it might have these already, but milling strengthening ridges into the back casing (on the inside) would help, though it'd reduce the battery capacity a fair bit. Or simply making it (OMG) thicker.

I used to have a 12" PowerBook G4, that bent so the thin aluminium above the latch stuck out. That was stamped out of a flat sheet of very soft aluminium, then Apple moved on and used the milling/unibody process on portable Macs to increase their strength greatly. Unfortunately they used the same process on iPhones to make them thinner, not stronger.
  • Reply 98 of 543
    I can bend a fender on any car if I put a knee into it or hip check it.
    I'll bet $949.90 that my iPhone 6+ doesn't bend
  • Reply 99 of 543
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    adonissmu wrote: »
    Basically, what we have here is people wanted an iPhone 6 scandal. So they started trying to snap their phones in half. Now they claim it's Apple's fault! LMAO!!!!
    Pretty much. Just like with the iPhone 5 when someone gave their toddler their keys and their naked iPhone and were surprised that the back of the phone scratched. Um duh. So yeah if you don't want a bent iPhone then don't intentionally bend it!
  • Reply 100 of 543
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RORWessels View Post

But the fact remains the best way to carry this phone is in a holster on your belt it should never go in your damn pocket. I stand by my statement.

Except a holster totally conflicts with fastening an automobile seat belt. So when you get in the car you have to take off the holster and remember to put it back on later. You do have one thing right though..."this phone should never go in your pocket." Maybe it should be treated like an iPad mini and just carry it around.