Apple to release iOS 8.0.2 in a 'few days,' offers instructions to downgrade

Comments

• Reply 41 of 110
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    red oak wrote: »
    +U2 Album

The live stream was an embarrassment.

I have not seen so many Apple missteps in a four week period since TC took over. Each of these things point to a lack of attention to detail in a different part of the company. Put together, that concerns me as a AAPL shareholder and fan of the company. It has nothing to do with "whining" as some of you have put it

Fortunately due to Cook's excellent leadership and Apple's phenomenal products, the stock is trading around its all time high. If you really are concerned you should take the money and never bother us again.

That is assuming you really are a shareholder.
  • Reply 42 of 110
    Has anyone considered a class action lawsuit?

Imagine if GM issued a "software update" that caused your car to stop driving but still allowed you to play the radio. This is nuts. A few days to let your cell phone start making and receiving calls again?
  • Reply 43 of 110
    If you ask me, it sounds like a sabotage job. Could even be an inside job with someone or several people getting a big payoff. Big players, Google and Samsung coincidently coming out in the news targeting the iPhone 6. That said, an outside hack cannot be overlooked.
  • Reply 44 of 110
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    The ?Watch has caused Apple to drop the ball. It's consuming their time and resources at the expense of their most important product.

They should cease all development of it and focus their attention back on the iPhone.

John C. Dvorak, is that you?

rogifan wrote: »
    If Apple can't focus on iPhone and a new product like the Watch at the same time then they are in serious trouble. Then Steve Jobs didn't do a very good job creating a company that could scale and do more than one thing at a time.

Funnily enough, the company Steve created couldn't do more than one thing at a time. Remember how Leopard was delayed because they were trying to launch the iPhone? Tim, on the other hand, has fixed this issue, which is why Apple can release a new version of iOS and OS X every year, a new iPhone every year, new iPads every year, and still have time for new products like AppleWatch.
  • Reply 45 of 110
    iaeen wrote: »
    Fortunately due to Cook's excellent leadership and Apple's phenomenal products, the stock is trading around its all time high. If you really are concerned you should take the money and never bother us again.

That is assuming you really are a shareholder and not a lying troll.
    I was insensed because I wasted 1/2 of my day. However, I think the response is good. Stuff happens. Cant get all worked up. I do think 8.0.1 shouldve been dev tested first quite frankly because of the health kit issues.
  • Reply 46 of 110
    Will 8.0.2 be considered a downgrade from 8.0.x as there will be less software in it due to the lack of cellular and Touch ID bugs¿
  • Reply 47 of 110
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    John C. Dvorak, is that you?
    Funnily enough, the company Steve created couldn't do more than one thing at a time. Remember how Leopard was delayed because they were trying to launch the iPhone? Tim, on the other hand, has fixed this issue, which is why Apple can release a new version of iOS and OS X every year, a new iPhone every year, new iPads every year, and still have time for new products like AppleWatch.
    Clearly there are still issues. But we don't have any hard evidence iPhone got less attention because of the Watch. Craig Federighi isn't overseeing software on the watch and Dan Riccio isn't overseeing hardware engineering. Apple employs thousands of software and hardware engineers. According to Bloomberg at most there's maybe a couple hundred involve in the Watch project.
  • Reply 48 of 110
    Clearly there are still issues. But we don't have any hard evidence iPhone got less attention because of the Watch. Craig Federighi isn't overseeing software on the watch and Dan Riccio isn't overseeing hardware engineering. Apple employs thousands of software and hardware engineers. According to Bloomberg at most there's maybe a couple hundred involve in the Watch project.

Oh, I don't think it received less attention at all. I really believe that the 6 is the best smartphone in the world, and don't feel like Apple shortchanged it. Everything received improvements this time. There really aren't any carryover parts from previous gens. Even the 5 series had some carryover from the older models.

http://daringfireball.net/2014/06/only_apple

Gruber does a good job pointing out how things have changed.
  • Reply 49 of 110
    sog35 wrote: »
    Call any Apple store and they could have helped you right away.
    Or do a search on the internet.

I will say it again:  IF YOU NEED YOUR PHONE 24-HR A DAY 365 DAYS A WEEK DO NOT UPDATE YOUR PHONE ON THE FIRST DAY OF RELEASE.  IF IT IS SO IMPORTANT THAT YOU HAVE NO DOWNTIME YOU NEED TO HAVE A SPARE PHONE.  IF YOU MUST UPDATE YOUR PHONE YOU NEED TO HAVE ACCESS TO YOUR BACKUP. PERIOD!!

This isn't downloading a new app.  This is updating an entire OS.  Take the proper steps.  If your device is mission critical you need to have a backup device.  PERIOD. 
    There is no excuse for a software update preventing you from getting a cellular connection. And no one should be expected to think updating their software could botch their abilities to make calls on their phone. As far as I'm concerned there is no acceptable time to be without cellular service outside of the time it takes to download and install the software update.

Seriously how does something like that ever get past testing/QA? Did anyone at Apple test this update before they pushed it out to everyone? Was it tested by any of the carriers? And why did it take so long to provide information on how to roll back to 8.0? Information that basically mirrors what imore.com put up on their site hours earlier. I'm sorry but there is a reason people buy Apple products and pay a premium for them and this isn't it.
  • Reply 50 of 110
    Oh, I don't think it received less attention at all. I really believe that the 6 is the best smartphone in the world, and don't feel like Apple shortchanged it. Everything received improvements this time. There really aren't any carryover parts from previous gens. Even the 5 series had some carryover from the older models.

http://daringfireball.net/2014/06/only_apple

Gruber does a good job pointing out how things have changed.

As I'm thinking about this a bit more I do think Apple is stretched a bit thin. But the issue right now is they're running out of space to put people in. I've heard employees are scattered across many different buildings in Cupertino. That new campus can't come soon enough. It's crazy to think Google has more employees than Apple (excluding retail).

For as much as we get the "Steve woudn't have" or "this wouldn't have happened under Steve" comments I think we're seeing some of the issues Steve passed on to Tim that Tim is now trying to fix. And one of the biggest ones is resources. Steve ran the company very lean with a start up like mentality. That's impossible to do when you're a $180B company. I don't envy Tim Cook at all.
  • Reply 51 of 110
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

There is one way Apple could be doomed from this.  If all the business, software, and hardware experts in this forum got together to build their own ecosystem there is no way Apple/Microsoft/Google/Samusung/Amazon could possibly survive...

• Reply 52 of 110
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

And that's what we'd hope for from Apple: quick recognition of the issue, and a quick response.

Seriosuly? You can imagine a scenario where anything other than sheer stupidity and piss poor management led to the release of an update that completely broke the new line of iPhones?

Apple has dropped the ball in a dozen ways this month.

• Reply 53 of 110
    As I'm thinking about this a bit more I do think Apple is stretched a bit thin. But the issue right now is they're running out of space to put people in. I've heard employees are scattered across many different buildings in Cupertino. That new campus can't come soon enough. It's crazy to think Google has more employees than Apple (excluding retail).

That's a good point. But is Campus 2 large enough for everyone?
  • Reply 54 of 110
    That's a good point. But is Campus 2 large enough for everyone?

The new campus isn't replacing the current one. But I'm not sure who will be moving to the new campus and who's staying at 1 infinite loop.
  • Reply 55 of 110

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

All extremely minor things in the big picture. They sold 10+million phones in a weekend. A thousand things needed to go right for that to happen. Their shit is pretty fucking together. That "list" is mostly noise, with the exception of 8.01 that, yes, was a bit of a fuckup. But that happens with such complex software, it's not the end of the world. You know, there's actual human beings working at Apple, not perfect Gods?

The livestream is completely irrelevant. Who gives a shit now? The 6 has no "structural issues" beyond being made of earth materials, and following the laws of physics. Attention-whores created a manufactured outrage.  Pre-orders went fine for most. Enough with your dramatic whining/trolling. Every other tech company has bigger fuckups everyday, but the media couldn't care less. 

I agree with you for the most part, but the 6 plus structural weakness in the area below the volume control buttons is an oversight on the part of Apple. It should of been noticed when stress-testing in the engineering stage, especially considering how malleable aluminium can be and how large and thin the 6 plus is. And then structurally enforced in that area before being put into production. A phone shouldn't bend, even ever so slightly by just sitting in your pocket even if it is just an occasional occurrence. But then I'm sure Apple can fix this going forward, by doing some production revisions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go Faster View Post

I hate to say it but Apple will only be able to fix this flaw by a complete redesign or offer a case like Otter Box to protectect them.

I found that when I applied a lot of pressure to my leg, it broke. Must be a structural weakness.

• Reply 56 of 110
    For me the downgrade process took forever. 4 hours to download the OS.

While getting instructions on what to do I was told to back up before the downgrade. This apparently converts older back ups to the new iOS level.

That means I can't restore my phone until 8.0.2 drops and hopefully it will work then.

So in the meantime I'm using my phone with nothing installed on it.
  • Reply 57 of 110
    I dont know why people here try to make up stuff in their own heads as they go along.
  • Reply 58 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

I have not seen so many Apple missteps in a four week period since TC took over. Each of these things point to a lack of attention to detail in a different part of the company. Put together, that concerns me as a AAPL shareholder and fan of the company.

Yeah me too!

I wish the stock price was back at the same levels before Jobs died..... er... wait a minute....

The deification  of Jobs (and demonization of Cook) is sooo boring. I guess its normal, people want to forget and forgive his blunders.

But lets not be so naive to think that he had some noble crusade that transcended the almighty dollar. YES, Jobs made iphones without protruding lenses. He also cheated WoZ out of their first venture together. YES, Jobs never had a live stream event with accidental Chinese overdubs, but he did force his daughter to be raised by welfare.... So.... maybe that all balances out (in some Zen way).

• Reply 59 of 110
    pmz wrote: »

Seriosuly? You can imagine a scenario where anything other than sheer stupidity and piss poor management led to the release of an update that completely broke the new line of iPhones?

Apple has dropped the ball in a dozen ways this month.

Yes, that's right, the same sheer stupidity and piss poor management that made Apple the largest company on earth by market cap and with the highest customer satisfaction of all the tech companies. Makes you wonder, why isn't every company as stupid & poorly managed? Why would they bother do a better job if they could make money hand over fist anyway? Everyone could just sit on their butts all day and watch the billions roll into their bank accounts. Who' s stupid again?
  • Reply 60 of 110
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

+U2 Album

The live stream was an embarrassment.

I have not seen so many Apple missteps in a four week period since TC took over. Each of these things point to a lack of attention to detail in a different part of the company. Put together, that concerns me as a AAPL shareholder and fan of the company. It has nothing to do with "whining" as some of you have put it

Then sell your stock and be gone. These are extremely minor missteps. There isn't anything here that concerns me as a stock holder. What would have concerned me is actual problems that could only be fixed at a store or by replacement. 

The feed is a joke to bring up. They haven't had a problem in all the years I've watched them (since the mid 90s when they first started appearing). They got hit by a very large unexpected number because of the rumored "iWatch". If anything, it shows that ? has more consumers / interested parties than ever imagined by the company. That's a good thing.