Rumor: Apple's 12.9" 'iPad Pro' to sport beefed-up A8X chip, 'iPad Air 2' to gain 2GB RAM

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,344member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Too bad iphone6+ was left without a8x, 2gb and likely split screen multitasking.

Many benchmarks show gpu performance is underwelming on 6 plus due to too many pixels to handle.

And Split screen is likely out because of 1gb limitation.

More correctly, the iPhone 6 has superior performance to any competitor sans the Nvidia shield, which isn't a phone, and the iPhone 6+ is equal to or better than the competitors. iPhone 6+ only "struggles" in comparison to the iPhone 6.

See Anandtech's graphic benchmarks.

It's a tradeoff. Higher screen resolution without a big hit to battery life; less fps.

• Reply 22 of 80
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I think it was a mistake to make the six plus with such little ram. If its going to be the high end model they should commit to it.

I think it was not a mistake to make the 6 Plus with the same RAM. Since they want to have a unified platform, they committed to it.

• Reply 23 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I think it was a mistake to make the six plus with such little ram. If its going to be the high end model they should commit to it.

Please demonstrate that the fps is limited due to lack of RAM, because I'm not seeing it in the iPhone 6 graphic benchmarks. The iPhone 6+ is pushing more pixels than the 6, which is a limitation of using the same graphic cores of the same processor.

• Reply 24 of 80
    Having an iPad Pro would make the Plus seem more reasonable.

Actually, I know a lot of people that want a 13" iPad to replace their MBA. Heck, I'd be tempted. Especially if it had split screen. I use my MBA for writing so I can keep two instances of Pages running side by side. Doing that on an iPad would be great.
  • Reply 25 of 80
    As far as I'm concerned this rumor doesn't carry any weight until Ming-Chi Kuo chimes in.

Actually I'm serious: Gruber posted today that he was the only analyst who's rumor was dead-on regarding the iPhone 6 and 6plus.

[QUOTE]Sometimes claim chowder comes out tasting good. KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo absolutely nailed both new iPhones all the way back in April:
    [INDENT]in line with previous rumors, Kuo believes the new 4.7-inch model will come with a 1334?×?750 Retina display at 326 pixels per inch, while the 5.5-inch will see a 1920?×?1080 screen at 401 PPI. Both devices will have the same aspect ratio to the iPhone 5, meaning apps will not need to be redesigned for the second time in three years.

The iPhone 6 will include a new A8 processor, 1GB of RAM, Touch ID, a narrower bezel by 10 to 20 percent, and the phone to be thinned to 6.5-7.0mm (the current iPhone 5 is 7.6mm thick). He also expects Apple to finally include NFC chips in its smart phones.[/INDENT]

So far as I can tell, Kuo was the first person anywhere to say 1334?×?750 for the 4.7-inch display, and the pixel math worked out perfectly.[/QUOTE]

Edited for spelling.
  • Reply 26 of 80

FIRST, WE NEED SPLIT SCREEN MODE.  At least on this MEGA iPAD.

• Reply 27 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

FIRST, WE NEED SPLIT SCREEN MODE.  At least on this MEGA iPAD.

No, we really don't. 

(Unless you are using "we" in the royal sense, e.g., "we are not amused".)

• Reply 28 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I think it was not a mistake to make the 6 Plus with the same RAM. Since they want to have a unified platform, they committed to it.

Same RAM = unified platform (ala optical camera bump)?

However, IMO, this RAM issue keeps coming up for a few basic reasons.   For my use case (and as I anecdotally infer from many other comments) when I have more than a few tabs open, it constantly re-loads. The question is - is limited RAM really the culprit or it just the way Safari is design to behave no matter the size of RAM? Some might like it reload every time they hit the tab, not me, but others might.

Unless there is a ton of pics etc, what is the average web page size of say apple insider, or google news, yahoo news etc? I have no idea or know where to look, anyone, Buehler?

• Reply 29 of 80
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Same RAM = unified platform (ala optical camera bump)?

Yeah, see, that’s meaningless.

• Reply 31 of 80
    Quote:

One’s a laptop. The other is a tablet. They’re completely dissimilar.

By ‘cool’ you mean ‘garbage’, right?

I get that one's a laptop and one's a tablet but for the majority of people, the use case is pretty much identical - email, social networking, media consumption, iWork or Office, web surfing.  In that case it makes it redundant.  And for the type of consumer these devices are aimed at, it can make the buying decision confusing.

• Reply 32 of 80
    Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

it can make the buying decision confusing.

I fail to see how. They’re used completely differently. They have completely different software bases.

• Reply 33 of 80

Looks like a good ipad upgrade.

• Reply 34 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmay View Post

More correctly, the iPhone 6 has superior performance to any competitor sans the Nvidia shield, which isn't a phone, and the iPhone 6+ is equal to or better than the competitors. iPhone 6+ only "struggles" in comparison to the iPhone 6.

See Anandtech's graphic benchmarks.

It's a tradeoff. Higher screen resolution without a big hit to battery life; less fps.

you need to recheck the  Anandtech's site, the iphone 6 and 6+ are right in the middle on the overall score.

• Reply 35 of 80
    Quote:

I fail to see how. They’re used completely differently. They have completely different software bases.

They use a different UI yes but like I mentioned they're not really used that differently.  These are light-duty devices which are most of the time used for email, social networking, content consumption, maybe some office productivity.  Only difference is if one prefers touch UI or mouse / keyboard UI.  Why not focus on the iPad Pro to the point where it can cannibalize the MBA.  To me that would be the better way to go.

• Reply 36 of 80
    jason98 wrote: »
    Yeah yeah just like it does not make sense ha have a split views that Apple already introduced into builtin apps on6+, right?

And here we go AGAIN "99% of us who..." No reference, no study just plain out of ass opinion.

Apple has always maintained that Apps should take advantage of the screen size. This is why they make fun of Android and their scaled Apps vs iPad optimized Apps that utilize the full screen to display additional information.

What Apple does with the 6 Plus is along the same philosophy as iPad Apps - use the extra screen space for more information.

To imply this is the same as split screen is asinine. That's the exact opposite. Instead of having a single App become MORE usable with extra screen space let's make two Apps LESS usable by cramming them into two halves of a small screen.

Split screen in a phone/phablet is stupid. On a full size iPad it might be useful.
  • Reply 37 of 80
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

I hope the next 9.7" iPad won't bend when I shove it in my pocket. If it does, I'm done with Apple products forever.

I hope they take into account that someone might try to bend the **** out of it on youtube, which will garner tens of millions of views and get attention on every media outlet on the planet, so they better sure that is physically impossible, preferably by making it 10 inches thick and not including a screen at all, or any other internal components. Otherwise, no sale. I have a stack of bent Apple product in my basement that are just useless to me, and getting downright sick of it. 

• Reply 38 of 80
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Yeah yeah just like it does not make sense ha have a split views that Apple already introduced into builtin apps on6+, right?

And here we go AGAIN "99% of us who..." No reference, no study just plain out of ass opinion.

I think the fact that you can't at all differentiate between apps that take advantage of dual pane for information display, and shoving multiple apps on the same screen, pretending it's the same thing, says alot about you. Maybe stop snidely mocking others when you clearly have no understanding of what you're talking about and easily confuse very different things. 

• Reply 39 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Split screen in a phone/phablet is stupid. On a full size iPad it might be useful.

Good god... 6+ horizontally has more space than 2 iPhones vertically. 

Never came up to you that sometimes you want to keep chatting while doing something else without having to switch apps back and forth? Or FaceTime and Safari at the same time while talking about a web page?  "Must have happened to 99% of us" (c) Sog35

• Reply 40 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

you need to recheck the  Anandtech's site, the iphone 6 and 6+ are right in the middle on the overall score.

Quoteth Anandtech;.

"In in GPU benchmarks, we generally see a pretty solid lead over the competition for the iPhone 6/A8. It's seems quite clear that there is a significant impact to GPU performance in the iPhone 6 Plus due to the 2208x1242 resolution that all content is rendered at."

The 6+ might be in the middle of the pack, but not the 6.