After Apple Inc. dodged the iPhone 6 Plus BendGate bullet, detractors wounded by ricochet

Comments

• Reply 161 of 429
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I love Apple, but...

The WWDC this year was exciting; there was a palpable buzz in the air. I'm sure we we will see the fruits of Swift, Metal etc. in the years to come.

This September, however, hasn't gone by without some big event being marred by controversy.

Firstly, we had the live stream keynote that caused me to want to hurl my iPhone at the screen due to the constant freezing. Its main highlight was the ?Watch, a product that was announced with no definite date, no indication of battery life and no price, unlike the first iPhone. Technologically, the digital crown takes us back to a time before the iPhone with its needlessly confusing interface. Telling was the share price: it rose strongly during the Apple Pay demo and dived during the ?Watch demo. It finished with U2 and Cook in a protracted embarrassing fizzling out.

Secondly, we had the preorder nightmare, in which Apple found it impossible to enable the Apple faithful to buy iPhones online without tearing their hair out.

Thirdly, we had the Chinese scalpers dominating the lines in NYC, casting a slur on what should have been an innocent reflection of Apple's popularity.

Fourthly, we had BendGate, which made me realise that Apple should have brought out the 6 in two sizes: 4" and 4.7".

Finally, we had 8.01, a disaster that DED neglects to mention in his article here. People like Slurpy were cussing at all those who were affected, saying that all companies make mistakes and that anyone who updated immediately was an idiot.

Whilst I'm looking forward to buying probably the iPhone 6, and very looking forward to the new iPads, I feel that this has been a torrid time in Apple's history, and is indicative of a failure of leadership at the very top. As a shareholder, this is not a state of affairs that I wish to continue.

Tim Cook needs to examine what his priorities are as CEO of Apple, because at the moment, Apple are not doing justice to Steve Jobs's legacy.

Benajmin Frost should get a job with Same Song.  He knows so much more than the Apple people that he should be able to design, produce and sell the next great smartphone that will never have any problems or shortcomings.  On the other hand, he may be just another click bait analyst.

• Reply 162 of 429
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Is Dilger not just doing what the mainstream media does on a daily basis? That is, present opinion as accepted fact. Is this not what every single tech website out there is doing? There is no such thing as news reporting anymore. It's all opinion supported by carefully spun "facts?" And yet AI's douchebag sect attacks Dilger at every turn. Face it, there are whole lot of you claiming to be fans who would love to see Apple fail so you could get in your "I told you so" OPINIONS. Most of what he says in this article is dead on and you know it. Apple is special in that it's critics are insanely fanatical and virulent. You don't see this stuff in automobile, photography, audiophile, aircraft, you name it, forums; you see it only on tech web sites and ONLY when it involves Apple. Samsung releases a new model and the world yawns. Apple does the same and the world pounces, looking for flaws to gripe about, issues to hammer them with,

And you people snicker when Dilger open s mouth.

"it's critics are insanely fanatical and virulent" plus incapable of doing anything even close to what Apple delivers or you could have left off "ly fanatical and virulent"

• Reply 163 of 429
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    rpt wrote: »

I sincerely doubt that this was just a little sh!t trying to make a few bucks. Given the overall amounts of money involved in changing the sales of the iPhone just slightly, I believe this was a part of an organized sear campaign, which is also what I believe the antenna gate was. Of course I have no idea who could possibly be behind it.

Oh I agree, I was referring to the mention higher up the thread ... or was it another? ... Someone wrote : 'I just read the guy who faked the iPhone 6 bending had 40 millions hits on Youtube = over $150 000 in revenue for him'.

If true, he should be sued ...
  • Reply 164 of 429
    tommcin wrote: »

"it's [sic] critics are insanely fanatical and virulent" plus incapable of doing anything even close to what Apple delivers or you could have left off "ly fanatical and virulent"

Fixed that for you ...
  • Reply 165 of 429
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I love Apple, but...

The WWDC this year was exciting; there was a palpable buzz in the air. I'm sure we we will see the fruits of Swift, Metal etc. in the years to come.

This September, however, hasn't gone by without some big event being marred by controversy.

Firstly, we had the live stream keynote that caused me to want to hurl my iPhone at the screen due to the constant freezing. Its main highlight was the ?Watch, a product that was announced with no definite date, no indication of battery life and no price, unlike the first iPhone. Technologically, the digital crown takes us back to a time before the iPhone with its needlessly confusing interface. Telling was the share price: it rose strongly during the Apple Pay demo and dived during the ?Watch demo. It finished with U2 and Cook in a protracted embarrassing fizzling out.

Secondly, we had the preorder nightmare, in which Apple found it impossible to enable the Apple faithful to buy iPhones online without tearing their hair out.

Thirdly, we had the Chinese scalpers dominating the lines in NYC, casting a slur on what should have been an innocent reflection of Apple's popularity.

Fourthly, we had BendGate, which made me realise that Apple should have brought out the 6 in two sizes: 4" and 4.7".

Finally, we had 8.01, a disaster that DED neglects to mention in his article here. People like Slurpy were cussing at all those who were affected, saying that all companies make mistakes and that anyone who updated immediately was an idiot.

Whilst I'm looking forward to buying probably the iPhone 6, and very looking forward to the new iPads, I feel that this has been a torrid time in Apple's history, and is indicative of a failure of leadership at the very top. As a shareholder, this is not a state of affairs that I wish to continue.

Tim Cook needs to examine what his priorities are as CEO of Apple, because at the moment, Apple are not doing justice to Steve Jobs's legacy.

In the end, despite all your "worry" and "concern" about these issues, Apple will sell a record number of iPhone 6's, fix the bugs in iOS 8, and finally give many Android users more of a reason to switch (large screens, customization). That is Tim's top priority. And that's where Apple is headed. Issues along the way have always been part of the journey. Antenna-gate for example, happened under Steve's leadership; so much for "worrying" about Tim not doing justice to "Steve's legacy."

Revisit this point 6 months from now and see if you don't agree with me. If you choose to only remember the times a baseball player struck out, or a basketball player missed his shots, you're missing the big picture. And as a shareholder, you have two choices available: vote on shareholder initiatives or divest your shares of Apple. Posting "worry" in this forum will not solve anything.

• Reply 166 of 429
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,898moderator
    rogifan wrote: »
    If I take a key and run it along the side of my car the car will have scratch marks. Does that mean there's a design flaw with the car? Are these bend tests really simulating real world usage? The point isn't whether this phone will bend the point is will it bend sitting in my pocket? Will it been under normal usage of the phone? SquareTrade gave both the 6 and 6 Plus high marks for durability. We've seen drop tests where the only damage is some nicks to the aluminum frame. How many examples do we have of this phone bending just by being in somebody's pocket?

Better comparison. If I sit on the hood of almost any 2014 model car, the hood will deform (bend, resulting in a permanent indentation). And so, I don't do that. Same reason I wouldn't sit on my smartphone, whether Apple brand or any other.
  • Reply 167 of 429
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Because the HTC is a larger phone than the iPhone 6, and the still larger 6+ survived even heavier pressures. I wouldn't have expected either the M8 or the iPhone 6 to come in at the bottom of the tests, and particularly the iPhone 6

I'm convinced people believe things simply because other people believe in those things; that's exactly how myths work. The internet and social media makes myth formation faster than ever. At least the myth that the iPhone 6 is "less bendy" than the 6 Plus can be scientifically tested.

• Reply 168 of 429
    Actually, turning "dive" into a weak verb is a British innovation—the American usage is, as in most cases, conservative. (I get kind of the same reaction seeing someone who's not a toothless hillbilly say "et" for "ate"—for an example going the opposite direction.)

"Had ran" is just wrong. Presumably a typo. I'm surprised you've seen it actually used. The internet-only term that always slays me is "whinge" for "whine". Where does this come from? Does it rhyme with "hinge"? Inquiring minds want to know....

Yep whinge rhymes with and sounds like hinge, very common UK English phrase, not internet only at all. So not used in USA I gather? I am continuing to learn American English as best I can but actually dropping words seems a shame. They have subtlety different 'feelings' when used. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/whinge

As to dived vs dove, as I say, I accept what is considered 'correct' in the USA as the way to go, it is just hard to change after half a life time. There is a good note on the history at the Grammarist site: http://grammarist.com/usage/dove-dived/

Well, we learn every day. No, I've never heard anything like "whinge" spoken, or used in (printed) writing—and probably half the books I read are British, too. Maybe it's a little old-fashioned even there? Just speculating. I don't mean to sound critical—I love dialectology.
  • Reply 169 of 429
    Quote:

Originally Posted by steveH View Post

Translation: "I've got no actual argument...

Squirrel!"

But he has time for trolling.

• Reply 170 of 429
    As pointed out above. "Bendgate" wasn't, and the time line and starting price of the Apple Watch we're announced (early 2015 and $349). The only interesting thing Apple DID leave out was the watch's battery life.
  • Reply 171 of 429
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

40 millions hits on Youtube = over $150 000 in revenu for him.  I think the guy is pretty happy with its video.

Regarding the legitimacy of the video, the guy made another video on the street with a brand new phone and he bend it with ease. After seeing this I think Apple should halt production and redesign it before too many are made. Its also obvious the guy knows exactly where the weak spot is, which is not in the middle of the phone.

I posted yesterday; the weak spot is the great big Apple logo shaped cut-out hole in the aluminum body. (Duh)

Grab the iPhone; put your Thumb on the Apple window hole; and push…  (Duh)

That's not going to be the failure point in that bending mode. The axis in question is parallel to the back plate, so that plate provides very little rigidity. The resistance to that bending mode is provided by the structural components orthogonal to the axis - the sides of the phone and the internal reinforcing struts.

I don't know what the hell you just said.

The weakest point (section, technically) is where there is the least amount of metal.

Draw a line across the body, from (roughly) volume button cut-out to sleep button cut-out (running right across the giant Apple logo cut-out), and presto… Weakest part of the body.

"Sides of the phone" are weakest where I have just described them.

Not sure what you are referring to as "internal reinforcing struts". If you are talking about the longitudinal "ridges" carved into the case? They all end (fail) at the logo cutout. Weakest part of the body

OK - what I was trying to explain is that the back plate of the phone (where the cut-out is) is not a significant structural element when it comes to the bending mode in question. A rectangular plate is only stiff about one of its three principle axes - the one that is orthogonal (perpendicular) to the plane of the plate. It is hard to deform a plate in its own plane by shearing or bending. On the other two axes, which represent folding the plate (as is the case here), a plate is very weak. The structural resistance to bending the phone is not the back plate, it is provided by the sides of the phone and the vertical internal structures (including the ridges and the vertical elements that support the buttons etc.), and so putting a cut-out in the back plate makes little or no difference to the failure load. The fact that the failure coincides with the cut-out location is pure coincidence - if the cut-out were at the top or bottom of the phone it would still fail where it does now - the location where the sides of the phone are weakest due to the button cut-outs.

• Reply 172 of 429
    Well, we learn every day. No, I've never heard anything like "whinge" spoken, or used in (printed) writing—and probably half the books I read are British, too. Maybe it's a little old-fashioned even there? Just speculating. I don't mean to sound critical—I love dialectology.

"Maybe it's a little old-fashioned even there?" ... Maybe .... I left 25 years ago and have never been back (outside of an airport and a taxi) and it's probably changed a lot ... I hear curry has now replaced roast beef and Yorkshire pudding as the national dish ... I love curry but that's too much LOL

By the way ... Harry lived with the Dursleys at 4 Privet Drive in Little Whinging when he was not at Hogwarts. :D See, you miss the inside jokes when you can't speak the lingo. ;)

Here's a use : http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/credo-novelist-deborah-moggach-talks-whinging-biking-and-going-to-bed-with-cliff-michelmore-8812095.html
  • Reply 173 of 429
    jurassic wrote: »
    The real question is why are trolls like you always so threatened by hearing the truth, and reading factual information in articles???

You cannot rationally dispute the facts presented in this article (except in your own mind). That is the nature of "reality". You either learn and accept reality and truth, or you can ignore it (as you apparently do) and live in your fantasy world.

(?° ??°)

I'm not even sure they read the posts before commenting. They seem to make emotional decisions void of any higher level thought that analyses and digests each aspect of a comment so they aren't able to then consider how to interpret the whole of the conversation. This also means they can't comprehend a nuisance comment that can have both negative and positive viewpoints about an issue or company they've predetermined in their black-and-white world. As an analogy, most of us are operating with an 8- to 10-bit color option and they are still stuck on a 2-bit monochrome thought process.
  • Reply 174 of 429
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Actually, turning "dive" into a weak verb is a British innovation—the American usage is, as in most cases, conservative. (I get kind of the same reaction seeing someone who's not a toothless hillbilly say "et" for "ate"—for an example going the opposite direction.)

"Had ran" is just wrong. Presumably a typo. I'm surprised you've seen it actually used. The internet-only term that always slays me is "whinge" for "whine". Where does this come from? Does it rhyme with "hinge"? Inquiring minds want to know....

Yep whinge rhymes with and sounds like hinge, very common UK English phrase, not internet only at all. So not used in USA I gather? I am continuing to learn American English as best I can but actually dropping words seems a shame. They have subtlety different 'feelings' when used. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/whinge

As to dived vs dove, as I say, I accept what is considered 'correct' in the USA as the way to go, it is just hard to change after half a life time. There is a good note on the history at the Grammarist site: http://grammarist.com/usage/dove-dived/

It is not a new word, but it is not particularly old fashioned. It is still in common use.

• Reply 175 of 429
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Better comparison. If I sit on tne hood of almost any 2014 model car, the goodwill deform (bend, resulting in a permanent indentation). And so, I don't do that. Same reason I wouldn't sit on my smartphone, whether Apple brand or any other.

What we're missing in all of this is how easy the phone does/doesn't bend under normal use. And yes I would say putting the phone in your pocket is normal use. None of the tests that have been done really simulate real world usage. Something else we are not getting is reports of many 6/6 Plus owners returning their device because it bent. If somebody has reports of Apple stores or customer service being slammed with iPhone returns I'd love to hear about it.
  • Reply 176 of 429
    muppetry wrote: »
    It is not a new word, but it is not particularly old fashioned. It is still in common use.

I bet he starts seeing the word in the British novels he reads now, probably just didn't register when he saw it as it wasn't in his vocabulary. It is not an uncommon thing in perceptual psychology.
  • Reply 177 of 429
    muppetry wrote: »

Do people still say "innit" at the end of a sentence? I've heard some curious variations on that one. Sometimes it appears to be replacing "isn't it"...and other times it appears at the end of a spoken sentence as if it were itself a question mark.
  • Reply 178 of 429
    rogifan wrote: »
    What we're missing in all of this is how easy the phone does/doesn't bend under normal use. And yes I would say putting the phone in your pocket is normal use. None of the tests that have been done really simulate real world usage. Something else we are not getting is reports of many 6/6 Plus owners returning their device because it bent. If somebody has reports of Apple stores or customer service being slammed with iPhone returns I'd love to hear about it.

I'd like to see the guy that made the video do a genuine un-faked video, perhaps let a semi drive over him with it in his pocket and see how the iPhone 6 stands up to that? :D
  • Reply 179 of 429
    Do people still say "innit" at the end of a sentence? I've heard some curious variations on that one. Sometimes it appears to be replacing "isn't it"...and other times it appears at the end of a spoken sentence as if it were itself a question mark.

Yeah mate, very cockney .. init? :D Kind of like Canadian eh?

But rest assured not all Brits speak terribly, just most of us them. Haha.
  • Reply 180 of 429
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I bet he starts seeing the word in the British novels he reads now, probably just didn't register when he saw it as it wasn't in his vocabulary. It is not an uncommon thing in perceptual psychology.

I stopped using it when I realized that Americans mostly didn't understand it. I still, surprisingly frequently, discover that other words that I've been using don't really exist over here.