Going big: a review of Apple's new 4.7" iPhone 6 vs. the 5.5" iPhone 6 Plus

Comments

• Reply 61 of 160
    Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

If the "future" requires transcoding all my files to accommodate the device, rather than the device just opening whatever I feed it, I'll stay in the past, thanks.

Enjoy your LC II full of .cwk files! The rest of the world has left the 1990s.

Originally Posted by gudguys View Post

Should I need to worry about bending. Actually I'm thinking of buying it but in dilemma with the viral videos and news of bending in media/youtube.

They are all lies. Treat your possessions well and this won’t happen.

• Reply 62 of 160
    gudguys wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me about the experience of i phone 6 plus. Should I need to worry about bending. Actually I'm thinking of buying it but in dilemma with the viral videos and news of bending in media/youtube.

If you keep your phone in your front or back trouser pockets, then a 6 or 6s may bend over time. If that concerns you, I would recommend getting a 5s instead.
  • Reply 63 of 160
    If you keep your phone in your front or back trouser pockets, then a 6 or 6s may bend over time. If that concerns you, I would recommend getting a 5s instead.

You have absolutely no evidence to support such a claim.
  • Reply 64 of 160
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    macvicta wrote: »
    A 4 inch iPhone 6 would've outsold the iPhone 6 Plus by a wide margin. It's far more fitting for the vast majority of people around the world. Apple fans are stunned that the company would drop it like a hot potato for some niche device that goes against their philosophy of creating the best products. Instead they've gone out and endorsed the hamfisted ideas of competitors who came up with this zany big phone gimmick because they couldn't compete head to head.
    You're wrong, and completely full of shit. GO AWAY.
  • Reply 65 of 160
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I think you've put it very well.

This is the first time ever that we humble consumers have had to face such a difficult decision in our iPhone purchases. Even the AI staff are facing quandaries with the choice.

The long and the short of it is this:

If you want a bigger screen and don't mind sacrificing one-handed use, then get a 6 or 6 Plus, but beware that the iPhone may bend if you keep it in your front pocket.

If you don't want the worry of trying to sell a bent iPhone at the end of your two-year contract and own an iPad, go for the 5s.

Time to start dishing out the troll bans.
  • Reply 66 of 160
    solipsismx wrote: »

To be fair there's also no evidence to the contrary, because not enough time has elapsed yet.
  • Reply 67 of 160
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    To be fair there's also no evidence to the contrary, because not enough time has elapsed yet.

But the absence of evidence is not evidence, Frost recommends getting the iPhone 5S which is even more odd because it too will bend with enough force, like all manmade products. So I'd least expect some argument that states the standard "pocket force" is above the iPhone 6 series threshold but below the iPhone 5S threshold for his post to be taken seriously.
  • Reply 68 of 160
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

All he has to do is suspend it over two uprights, like the lintels at Stonehenge, every night, so the phone will straighten back out over time. Naturally you would point the arched side up, toward the ceiling.

This takes advantage of the phenomenon known as "cold melt," where you see a stone bench sag over the centuries in parks and cemeteries and so on.

Either that or he could be careful not to wear tight pants, get too heavy, and sit down with the phone in his pocket.
  • Reply 69 of 160
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Enjoy your LC II full of .cwk files! The rest of the world has left the 1990s.

Please indicate which of the file format Mac-sochist listed is an obsolete format.

None? So, what the heck is the point of the comment above other than to be antagonistic?

• Reply 70 of 160
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Did you forget sarcasm mark /s  ?

• Reply 71 of 160
    But the absence of evidence is not evidence, Frost recommends getting the iPhone 5S which is even more odd because it too will bend with enough force, like all manmade products. So I'd least expect some argument that states the standard "pocket force" is above the iPhone 6 series threshold but below the iPhone 5S threshold for his post to be taken seriously.

I think it's sour grapes on his part. There's a few on here that are unhappy with the new sizes, but as the saying goes 'you can't make everyone happy all of the time'. The whole 'Bendgate' thing was a joke of whose flames were fanned by not only the Apple haters, but by those unhappy with the new iPhones.
  • Reply 72 of 160
    I'd be one that would go for the 5s size if they offered all the internals of the plus (processor, hard disk, battery size) and a display ppi that matched the plus. For me I enjoy using my phone with one hand so that would suit me perfectly. Again, it's personal preference. A bit of mixed feelings that Apple decided to abandon the 4 inch screen size.
  • Reply 73 of 160
    Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Please indicate which of the file format Mac-sochist listed is an obsolete format. 

Or you could read the posts and see what was being discussed.

• Reply 73 of 160

On the second BendyGate video where he tests a brand new 6 Plus in the open surrounded by friends, the phone bends much more easily; I guess he learned where the weak spot was more precisely. Here's the video:

http://youtu.be/gJ3Ds6uf0Yg

Of course, one would not normally be in the habit of trying to bend the iPhone deliberately.

But the main pocket problem related to two other factors: temperature and metal fatigue. When the aluminium heats up in a pocket, it will flex much more readily than when cold; this is the problem with Apple's own testing. Metal fatigue takes place over a period of time, so is very difficult to test for extensively by Apple, particularly in the case of the 6 and 6 Plus, as they both have entirely new structures.

When you add those two factors to the thinner, lighter, weaker design of the 6 and 6 Plus, as demonstrated in the three BendGate videos, you have a damning combination of factors that would suggest extreme caution at this moment in time.

The 5s, in contrast, has been tried and tested. Mr. Bendy tried bending it and failed. As it shares the same design as the 5, we have had two years of a confirmed strong design.
  • Reply 75 of 160

Didn't Steve Jobs say the iPhone should not be so large as to make one handed use impossible? Or am I dreaming?

Isn't there a way to shrink the screen to fit into the lower right hand corner (leaving a "letterbox" L shape) in the upper left hand corner? This could be activated by double tapping the Home button. I am not a programmer so maybe I'm missing something here. I'd really appreciate feedback from you more knowledgeable folks.

• Reply 76 of 160
    On the second BendyGate video where he tests a brand new 6 Plus in the open surrounded by friends

1) So bending something on the street means it's legitimate? :\

[VIDEO]

2) Again, there is no "chain of custody" of what happened to the iPhone 6 Plus rom the factory to ending up in his hands?

3) You consider that normal wear and tear? Really? :no:
    ...so is very difficult to test for extensively by Apple

So some douchenozzel on the street can easily test an iPhone but Apple can't. No I've heard everything.
    When you add those two factors to the thinner, lighter, weaker design of the 6 and 6 Plus, as demonstrated in the three BendGate videos, you have a damning combination of factors that would suggest extreme caution at this moment in time.

Nope.
    The 5s, in contrast, has been tried and tested. Mr. Bendy tried bending it and failed. As it shares the same design as the 5, we have had two years of a confirmed strong design.

So what are normal "pocket forces" that makes the iPhone 6 series a piece of shit the iPhone 5S (which I don't recall CR testing) so wonderful?
  • Reply 77 of 160
    The new iphone6's are a new revolution for apple. Bigger screens and more power is what the people have been asking for and apple has delivered on that very well. Now, if you do not want a larger phone, the 5S is still available, a very nice performing piece of tech that has plenty of options and has a reduced price! So, I guess the complainers about the 6 and the 6 being too large have an option, but just like to get online, complain, and bother the resto of us that are trying to learn more about the new devices and enjoy them... For one, that is why I read the article and others like it,, not to belly ache about technology moving forward.... W
  • Reply 78 of 160
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Of course not.

So far, 20 million iPhone 6 series devices sold.

• 7 million to end users

• 12 million to the Chinese mafia

• 400 thousand for YouTube drop tests

• 600 thousand for YouTube bend tests

Of those, only 9 cases noted by Apple that the iPhone bent, and the iPhone 6 Plus held up better than the iPhone 6 in CR's tests. You literally have less than a one-in-a-million chance of it bending under normal use based on the available evidence.

I think we're up to 14 cases... more than 50% increase since the other day.

This could get bad... Apple could be up to 20 cases by the end of October and possibly 30 cases by the end of the 1st quarter.

Hold onto your hats!!

• Reply 79 of 160
    The FACTS that we have are:

[LIST]
    [*] Some people are profiting from buying and destroying an iPhone 6 series device on the internet.

[*] The iPhone 6 series will bend more readily than an iPhone 5, according to CR's tests.[/LIST]
  • Reply 80 of 160

On the second BendyGate video where he tests a brand new 6 Plus in the open surrounded by friends, the phone bends much more easily; I guess he learned where the weak spot was more precisely. Here's the video:

Of course, one would not normally be in the habit of trying to bend the iPhone deliberately.

But the main pocket problem related to two other factors: temperature and metal fatigue. When the aluminium heats up in a pocket, it will flex much more readily than when cold; this is the problem with Apple's own testing. Metal fatigue takes place over a period of time, so is very difficult to test for extensively by Apple, particularly in the case of the 6 and 6 Plus, as they both have entirely new structures.

You should really try to learn what some of these terms mean before you publicly display your ignorance by trying to sound knowledgeable.

Metal fatigue has nothing to do with ease of bending. Metal fatigue occurs when an item is flexed many, many times without plastic deformation, i.e. bending. The boundaries between crystal domains migrate so as to line up with the lines of maximum stress. Eventually there will be a line all or most of the way across the part that is all or mostly boundary, and then it will suddenly crack.

If a part cracks before it bends, it's called "brittle". Aluminum is not brittle, it will deform long before it cracks. Therefore, in this kind of application, metal fatigue doesn't apply.

In other areas, such as aeronautics, engineers learned the hard way that aluminum has no "fatigue limit" as ferrous metals do—there's no stress low enough that there's no number of repetitions that will cause it to yield. You probably remember the De Haviland Comet.