Adapting to change: a review of Apple's larger 4.7-inch iPhone 6 vs. the smaller 4-inch iPhone 5s

Comments

• Reply 221 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

Er, your probability distribution adds up to 1.05...

Your right, I change the percentage around and didn't adjust them all :-). Doesn't make a huge difference 1B less... (yeah, that would be a lot for anyone else :-).

• Reply 222 of 281

Perhaps we can start a thread somewhere for everyone to complain about the camera sticking out and lack of a 4" screen? Both are valid points, but holy crap- do we have to repeat this stuff over and over?

Now you have ME doing it.

• Reply 223 of 281
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Perhaps we can start a thread somewhere for everyone to complain about the camera sticking out and lack of a 4" screen? Both are valid points, but holy crap- do we have to repeat this stuff over and over?

Now you have ME doing it.

Well Apple does try to creatively hide the camera bump in many of it's promotional shots, even photo-shopping it out in some. You could just do the same as Apple and pretend it isn't there when it bothers you.
    http://www.cultofmac.com/295927/apple-ashamed-iphone-6s-protruding-camera-lens/

I'm kinda with Gruber tho: Just own it, and proudly. It's there for a good reason.
  • Reply 224 of 281
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Well Apple does try to creatively hide the camera bump in many of it's promotional shots, even photo-shopping it out in some. You could just do the same as Apple and pretend it isn't there when it bothers you.
    http://www.cultofmac.com/295927/apple-ashamed-iphone-6s-protruding-camera-lens/

I'm kinda with Gruber tho: Just own it, and proudly. It's there for a good reason.

I put my 6 in a case and it's not an issue :)
  • Reply 225 of 281
    I'm 6"4 and my hands aren't great for phones. I can't even use an iPhone 5S with one hand effectively, so the one hand issue isn't a big deal for me. Good review, as I assume this will be an issue for many.
  • Reply 226 of 281

Good honest appraisal.

In June 2011 I added a post which also happens to be my current view on the perfect sized handset.

It is in line with much of the sentiment here of the new phones being too large. I have tried a 6 in a shop and borrowed a friend's 6 for a day and didn't come away liking it.

I use a 4S (currently on its last legs), yet to me, this is still the perfect sized handset and best material selection. I have never had a case, and have treated the phone brutally - yet somehow the outside of it is still in perfect condition. The stainless steel band is awesome.

I always felt the 5/5S was too tall and (proportionally) not an elegant solution. Plus, the aluminium too soft. However if you put the screen size of a 5/5S in the body of a 4/4S then I would be a very happy customer.

This of course would involve decreasing the size of the black stuff above and below the screen. I'd accept a thicker phone to achieve this.

This quick illustration from 2011 shows a handset the physical size of the 4, but with the thickness and screen screen size of the 5. (The audio jack was removed as I assumed apple would eventually run the headphone audio through the lightening port).

Anyway. My phone is dying. I want a new one the same size as my old one with up to date performance!!!

Apple you should do this.

#firstworldproblems

• Reply 227 of 281
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Don't you find hard edges of an iPhone 5s make it more easier to maintain a grip? The chamfered edges provided that friction.

While an iPhone 6 may feel nicer in your hand, the rounded edges and smooth aluminium back simply make it too precarious to operate. Unfortunately a case to add grip, is the only solution.
  • Reply 228 of 281
    I have the 6 plus, and its great. Having said that, for use as an actual phone, the iPhone 4 is the PERFECT size! It's great, and Steve Jobs was right about size. The 6 plus is great for content use, since I was using my phone to read a lot, it works better for me, but man, the 4 is such a sweet size. The 5 is close, just a little longer. Hopefully they will preserve that size in their next upgrade.
  • Reply 229 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Scythe42 View Post

Or just take a look at this video. It sums it up perfectly how I feel about the iPhone 6. 

Sog35 claimed that "99% of us" want thinner phone so protruding camera is OK compromise.

Judging by number of likes in this video, many more people like this satire, so we can assume they hate the protrusion too :)

• Reply 230 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Nope, not going to happen. The 4" size is outdated. Time to move on.

Screen sizes are never outdated.

There's tasteful design that works, and then there's everything else. If you're going to sacrifice 1-handed use for most people, then may as well step up to the 6+.

Apple botched this from a design perspective, the iPhone6 should've been 4" and 6+ as it is.

• Reply 231 of 281
    Incipio DualPro. Adds just enough thickness that I enjoy carrying the phone around in my hand more than ever before. Even with the case it's still thinner than my 4 was without a case.
    Thanks for the interesting posts.
  • Reply 232 of 281
    Pro tip.
    Put your most used apps at the bottom of the screen instead of the top.Makes it much easier to reach with one hand. The power/sleep button is what's killing me.
  • Reply 233 of 281
    Brilliant article. It helped to clarify my experienc with my iPhone 6. On the one hand I could sell my 5S for $500, and actually come out ahead. But that last sentence is the reason I'm keeping it. I don't want to feel like buying the latest and greatest, and locking myself in for two years is a compromise. I'll be returning the 6 today.

I wish other people would do the same, just to send a message to Apple - please release the 6S in the same width and length as the 5S, but with the depth and edges of the 6. Or if we need the battery to be bigger, just the edges....

Thanks again.
  • Reply 234 of 281
    glubengluben Posts: 21member
    Why don't Apple just do three sizes each year? For example:

iPhone 6S - Small (4 inches)
    iPhone 6M - Medium (4.7 inches)
    iPhone 6L - Large (5.5 inches)
  • Reply 235 of 281
    Perhaps Apple will add an 'iPhone 6 minus', essentially with an iPhone 5s weight and screen size, but with an A8 chip and rounded sides. Seems sensible.
  • Reply 236 of 281

not to pile on but i am going to pile on.  i have a 5S and just handled a 6. i can say i will NOT be getting a phone bigger than the 5S is. In fact, i miss my 4S's size.  i know the people over at apple have a boner for thin devices & a lot of people want a ipad in their pocket but not me. i am fine with a phone the same dimensions as the 4. If they want to shrink the bezels to get a bigger screen then whatever but i'd gladly take the 4" retina phone with modern guts, cam & fingerprint sensor (that i really do like on my 5S).  also, i imagine since the guts have gotten thinner, they could put a battery in there that would actually get me through a day without feeling like the guy in a samsung commercial...

if they shrunk the 5S a little bit (height-wise) i think it would be the perfect iphone for me & many others. 

• Reply 237 of 281
    I also love the 4" screen size, but it looks like the 4.7" size will be the new baseline going forward for iPhones. I will be holding onto my 5S for as long as possible and hope that Apple eventually makes an updated 4" device. I'm not willing to give up ease of one handed operation, I have no interest in having a bigger screen with me. Phones are supposed to be small, discreet and easy to use. 4" screens are perfect for this, the iPhone 6 requires weird workarounds (reachability) or hand shifting, I'm not going to change myself to fit the product, it needs to fit me.
  • Reply 238 of 281
    mercuryls wrote: »
    I also love the 4" screen size, but it looks like the 4.7" size will be the new baseline going forward for iPhones. I will be holding onto my 5S for as long as possible and hope that Apple eventually makes an updated 4" device. I'm not willing to give up ease of one handed operation, I have no interest in having a bigger screen with me. Phones are supposed to be small, discreet and easy to use. 4" screens are perfect for this, the iPhone 6 requires weird workarounds (reachability) or hand shifting, I'm not going to change myself to fit the product, it needs to fit me.

I must admit that I do not share this preference. However, in my experience I would say that the individuals I have spoken to about their iPhone choices are pretty much evenly distributed into thirds on which size they prefer. So there is DEFINITELY a strong contingent of Apple faithfuls who share your preference of the 4" form factor. In fact just last night a good friend of mine purchased his brand new iPhone 5s to upgrade from his 4s. It is certainly in Apple's best interest to continue offering this size. Maybe if they just completely get rid of the bezels? They could still maintain that 4" inch phone size that so many find very comfortable but still increase screen size. Maybe?
  • Reply 239 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashFan207 View Post

I must admit that I do not share this preference. However, in my experience I would say that the individuals I have spoken to about their iPhone choices are pretty much evenly distributed into thirds on which size they prefer. So there is DEFINITELY a strong contingent of Apple faithfuls who share your preference of the 4" form factor. In fact just last night a good friend of mine purchased his brand new iPhone 5s to upgrade from his 4s. It is certainly in Apple's best interest to continue offering this size. Maybe if they just completely get rid of the bezels? They could still maintain that 4" inch phone size that so many find very comfortable but still increase screen size. Maybe?

holding my friend's (who is in the apartment/landlord/real estate business & also hates bigger phones) 4s next to my 5s, it looks like the bezel (top & bottom) would have to be shrunken about 1/2 an inch overall to get the 5s screen into a 4s. i dont think that could happen because of the home button. i personally prefer the 4" screen anyway as it definitely was/is easier to use single-handed than the bigger screens and i have large hands.  i have a 1st gen ipod touch that i use almost daily at work for podcast listening & music streaming that is still going strong & is more comfortable to use 1 handed than my 5S.   

hopefully apple will come out with something new for next summer when my VZ contract is up but sadly, for the 1st time since i switched to an iphone, i am going to start looking at other options. i just hate google/android.  

• Reply 240 of 281
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Not quite ready for the iPhone 6 - and likely not going to consider the 6 plus after checking it out at the store - but what I am waiting for is iFrogz to make a Treadz case for the 6 - I had one on the 4s and the 5s and though I originally bought it for the 3D design pattern - I find that it makes keeping a good grip on the phone very easy and being rubber it protects against bumps and bruises.

http://www.amazon.com/iFrogz-IP5-TREADZ-Treadz-Cover-iPhone/dp/B009LIJNVE

I tell people the case makes the internet work faster - because I get better traction.