Walgreens memo suggests Apple Pay mobile payments with iPhone 6 could launch Saturday, Oct. 18

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    Doubters will doubt.

We haven't seen even iTunes Radio outside the U.S. yet so not holding my breath on an international rollout.

Despite the massively increased technology already available internationally.

We've had chip-based cards and chip-and-PIN cards for at least a decade in Europe, and have had contact-less for a good few years for micro-payments. Both of these were introduced to customers involuntarily - new cards were sent out to customers and their old cards cancelled - without consultation in many cases. What's the hold-up in the U.S? Belligerence?
  • Reply 22 of 83
    How will you get a refund if tokens are one-time only?

A second and different token will put the money into the same account. ;)
  • Reply 23 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Considering Apple's recent iOS8 bungles & the U2 album fiacso that's probably what he's referring to.

The complete list of bungles is listed in a malware-infested Android app.

• Reply 24 of 83
    timmydax wrote: »
    Doubters will doubt.

We haven't seen even iTunes Radio outside the U.S. yet so not holding my breath on an international rollout.

Despite the massively increased technology already available internationally.

We've had chip-based cards and chip-and-PIN cards for at least a decade in Europe, and have had contact-less for a good few years for micro-payments. Both of these were introduced to customers involuntarily - new cards were sent out to customers and their old cards cancelled - without consultation in many cases. What's the hold-up in the U.S? Belligerence?

I am sure that cross-border copyright and IP issues are somewhat more complicated than you might think they are. Moreover, there are all sorts of complicated regulations that vary across borders when it comes to payment systems. I have no doubt that Apple is looking learn from its US rollout before it moves abroad.
  • Reply 25 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

Consumer awareness. I've been using my AMEX ExpressPay at Walgreens for years. I first requested the card in 2005, they started involuntarily issuing contactless within a few years after that.

The other problem is consumer benefit. They always tell you to take the card out of your wallet, though it usually works fine with it in. It can take longer to do a contactless than a magnetic swipe. Having used EMV now, there's a definite benefit of contactless over EMV (fumble for the slot, stare at the machine for 10 seconds while it processes, then put it back in your wallet, then sign).

• Reply 26 of 83
    How are they going to implement it?
    Currently, they have one of the most annoying pinpad. You swipe, get ask for donation, ask for cash back, ask if you want to redeem your points, amount ok.

Good thing they took out the "do you want to email or print" your receipt part
  • Reply 27 of 83
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Can't wait to try it out!
  • Reply 28 of 83
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    Watch how fast iphone6 users start asking for this... Ive been telling every retailer and bank i buy at in order to voice my "vote" on this matter.

We need better than current credit cards guys... We need better security NOW!

We will still need out credit cards for quite some time since all retailers wont be setup yet.
  • Reply 29 of 83
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That was fast! No doubt other stores will soon follow. I'm going to feel left out, I can't see me getting a six any time soon and no ?Watch yet ...

Better hurry, besides Walgreens,  Mcdonalds, Subway, Target, Panera Bread stores in my area, are already set up for it.  I see the new terminals with the NFC logo, literally everywhere. Actually many have been installed for quite some time.  Not necessarily specific for Apple Pay, but presumably compatible nonetheless.  

I can't wait to say, "what no Apple Pay?, I am going across the street, they do. Here put this stuff back"  I believe this will be one of the fastest uptakes in behavior change ever.   The only part that might take a little longer is the sit down restaurant, where the current behavior of wait staff taking your plastic card away to the "back room" for POS action, will have to change.  That has always caused me small nervous twinges.  Restaurants are going to have to upgrade to some type of portable wireless POS devices.  It will not take long.  Every reported theft of credit card data, is a nudge in that direction.  

Oh guess what?  Want to safeguard your information with your fingerprint?  Get an iPhone 6.  The only device where that actually works.  The NFC pay process is not unique.  Apple has over a year's worth of Fingerprint experience.  Now tying it all together?  Clever clever clever!  Innovate, my ass!  Only Apple can pull it off.

• Reply 30 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iforgot View Post

How are they going to implement it?

Currently, they have one of the most annoying pinpad. You swipe, get ask for donation, ask for cash back, ask if you want to redeem your points, amount ok.  Good thing they took out the "do you want to email or print" your receipt part

NFC pay will be included as a pay option right in the terminal.  At a nearby Subway, the POS will accept a customer swipe of a credit card, or an NFC payment today.  I doubt they will have to change their checkout procedures at all.  Perhaps a note to their employees, "expect to have customers pay with their phone beginning on XXXXXday".  

If Walgreens is prepared on day one,  it will not take long for CVS and others get the message.  Expect signs "We now accept Apple Pay"

• Reply 31 of 83
    dcgoo wrote: »

Better hurry, besides Walgreens,  Mcdonalds, Subway, Target, Panera Bread stores in my area, are already set up for it.  I see the new terminals with the NFC logo, literally everywhere. Actually many have been installed for quite some time.  Not necessarily specific for Apple Pay, but presumably compatible nonetheless.  

I can't wait to say, "what no Apple Pay?, I am going across the street, they do. Here put this stuff back"  I believe this will be one of the fastest uptakes in behavior change ever.   The only part that might take a little longer is the sit down restaurant, where the current behavior of wait staff taking your plastic card away to the "back room" for POS action, will have to change.  That has always caused me small nervous twinges.  Restaurants are going to have to upgrade to some type of portable wireless POS devices.  It will not take long.  <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Every reported theft of credit card data, is a nudge in that direction.  </span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Oh </span>
    guess<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> what?  Want to safeguard your information with your fingerprint?  Get an iPhone 6.  </span>
    The<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> only device where that </span>
    actually<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> works.  </span>
    The<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> NFC pay process is not unique.  Apple has over a year's </span>
    worth<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> of Fingerprint experience.  Now tying it all together?  Clever clever clever!  </span>
    Innovate, my ass!  Only Apple can pull it off.

Yep, I plan to vote with my phone too. I'll patronize places that support ApplePay. It should be noted that Chili's already has the POS terminals at each table (along with dumb IAP games), pretty sure they support NFC as well.
  • Reply 32 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Yep, I plan to vote with my phone too. I'll patronize places that support ApplePay. It should be noted that Chili's already has the POS terminals at each table (along with dumb IAP games), pretty sure they support NFC as well.

I was in a Chillis as well.  I did not see the NFC logo anywhere on that terminal.  I asked about it, and the guy had never heard of Apple Pay.  I told him he would very soon, heheh.  

That big clunky terminal made no sense to me.  Battery powered, associated with a specific table for ordering. It must be a huge pain to keep them all charged up.  Plus, if they do NOT support Apple Pay, they will be obsolete very soon.  

• Reply 33 of 83
    Here's a serious question. Let's say I have an Apple Watch and all I have to do to pay is put the AW near a payment terminal to make a payment %u2014 no verification or tapping anything required. Lovely. Can I be robbed by a mobile NFC terminal being put near my watch? This could be the next pickpocket method if it can be done. Anyone?
  • Reply 34 of 83
    Considering Apple's recent iOS8 bungles & the U2 album fiacso that's probably what he's referring to.

I didn't realize the U2 album promo was a full-blown "fiasco"... My gosh, millions of people must've been permanently injured. /s
  • Reply 35 of 83
    jim gramze wrote: »
    Here's a serious question. Let's say I have an Apple Watch and all I have to do to pay is put the AW near a payment terminal to make a payment %u2014 no verification or tapping anything required. Lovely. Can I be robbed by a mobile NFC terminal being put near my watch? This could be the next pickpocket method if it can be done. Anyone?

You have to press the button below the Digital Crown twice to activate the NFC for payment.
  • Reply 36 of 83
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    [/quote]
    You have to press the button below the Digital Crown twice to activate the NFC for payment.

And I'd guess tapping the screen to accept any charges.
  • Reply 37 of 83
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    dcj001 wrote: »
    What about the 6 Plus?

You can keep your 6+ away from my 8 inches okay buddy
  • Reply 38 of 83
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member

Keep you hands off my 8 inches buddy
  • Reply 39 of 83
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

Apathy both on the part of American consumers and credit card issuers.

I've had contactless credit cards before but when new ones were issued, the feature was no longer there. Many POS terminals have the contactless feature (it uses the same logo as the "wifi" menu icon on Macs, iOS devices) but I can't recall the last time I've seen anyone use it.

AMEX also issued a Blue card with a chip (maybe fifteen years ago), and even offered a free USB reader for a while, but discontinued their implementation of the technology.

Today, of my several credit cards, only one has a chip (Chase Freedom Visa) and one has NFC (Chase Slate Visa); neither one usually resides in my wallet. My current AMEX Blue (always in my wallet) has neither technology, although in the past it has offered both at different times. My primary Visa is issued by a smaller bank and has no fancy features.

In the past American Express had often used the AMEX Blue card as a platform for unveiling new technologies, but currently the card is just a slab of plastic with a magnetic strip. I suppose it's possible that credit card issuers deploy the technology on some cards, but not others, and that AMEX has switched to a different card to roll out new payment features.

I personally have no qualms with NFC (my local transit card uses the feature well), but it's rather hard to use NFC for payments when your credit card issuers do not currently issue cards with the feature.

It isn't because the banks haven't tried. They have, but with very little enthusiasm from cardholders. It may take a new player like Apple to pique consumer interest.

• Reply 40 of 83
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Yep, seems to me that iOS 8.1 with Apple Pay will be launching after the event on Thursday, or the following day Friday the 17th. Same story with Yosemite.