First look: Eyes-on with the new iMac's super-resolution 5K Retina display

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited November 2014
Apple's all-in-one desktop received a major upgrade on Thursday with the unveiling of the new iMac, featuring an ultra-high-resolution 5K Retina display that will be a major selling point for professional users working with high-resolution images.

The new iMac with Retina display was unveiled at a presentation at Apple's corporate campus in Cupertino, Calif., and AppleInsider was on-hand to get a first look at the new 5K screen.

The new iMac has the same body as its predecessor, but packs in an incredible 5K-resolution display that allows photographers to see 17-megapixel images images in their entirety on the display. It also has enough horsepower to zoom into even larger photos, as our brief hands-on time showed the system is very fast.

The new iMac also allows videographers to edit 4K video at full-screen resolution within Apple's Final Cut Pro X.

At first look, it's also clear that the new iMac really shows off the newly released OS X Yosemite. Frankly we felt the new operating system looks a little plain on standard-resolution displays, but it really pops on the new 5K Retina display.

Unfortunately Apple didn't have the new Mac mini on display at the hands-on area at Thursday's event. The company's small, affordable desktop gained Intel Haswell processors and saw a price cut to $499.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 91
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    Wheres the screen without the mac for MacPros?!
  • Reply 2 of 91
    Was hoping for a standalone screen also!
  • Reply 3 of 91
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    frankie wrote: »
    Waiting for Thunderbolt update?
  • Reply 4 of 91
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    kinda want Apple to release a wireless keyboard with number pad.

I know only 1% of users want that but kinda sucks for me.
    Where's your AppleTV?
  • Reply 5 of 91
    judasjudas Posts: 14member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I got the wired keyboard for that exact reason... That teeny keyboard annoys me. Aesthetic opinion of course, but i wish it were available in wireless as well.

• Reply 6 of 91
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

I don't understand what we are suppose to do with the photos of the monitor in this article.

would it not look any good since my monitor is not 5k?

strange.

Are you suppose to self ban by now? LOL

• Reply 7 of 91
    Dudes! a 5K screen is $3000 and this screen is $2500. Buy one and plug it into your Mac Pro with Thunderbolt2. Buy a new surfboard with what you save. Helloo_oo_oo!
  • Reply 8 of 91
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    frankie wrote: »

Waiting for IGZO-backed display production to ramp up to the level needed?
  • Reply 9 of 91
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Dudes! a 5K screen is $3000 and this screen is $2500. Buy one and plug it into your Mac Pro with Thunderbolt2. Buy a new surfboard with what you save. Helloo_oo_oo!

This too.
  • Reply 10 of 91
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

This too.

Provided it works, which it probably won’t.

• Reply 11 of 91
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Am I going to need a magnifying glass to read text on that?
  • Reply 12 of 91
    muadibemuadibe Posts: 134member
    Quote:

Have you taken a look at the Logitech K750?  Solar powered keyboard for Mac.  It uses a wireless USB dongle, but the convenience is well worth it.  I've had mine for about a year and love it.  Just waiting for a solar trackpad to be released by someone.  Tired of replacing and/or recharging batteries.

• Reply 13 of 91
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    muadibe wrote: »

Have you taken a look at the Logitech K750?  Solar powered keyboard for Mac.  It uses a wireless USB dongle, but the convenience is well worth it.  I've had mine for about a year and love it.  Just waiting for a solar trackpad to be released by someone.  Tired of replacing and/or recharging batteries.

Next problem is getting the sun into your house. ;)
  • Reply 14 of 91
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Quote:

If you don't self-ban, I'll just put you on ignore so you'll be banned forever in my universe. A person should be good to his/her word.
  • Reply 15 of 91
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

In the $2500 price range, is there viable competition for this setup for those who edit high resolution photos and video.  I'm not one of those people, but am just curious.  If no significant competition, it seems Apple will sell a whole lot of these.

• Reply 16 of 91
    Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

In the $2500 price range, is there viable competition for this setup for those who edit high resolution photos and video.

I don’t know if there’s a 5K display of this quality available for that price.

• Reply 17 of 91
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    Am I going to need a magnifying glass to read text on that?

Content will be scaled to 1440p same as before but all the content will just be sharper, nothing will be smaller. I expect them to have an option to scale to 1080p too so that you can even make everything bigger without it appearing fuzzy, which it would if you set the old one to 1080p.
  • Reply 18 of 91
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

In the $2500 price range, is there viable competition for this setup for those who edit high resolution photos and video.  I'm not one of those people, but am just curious.  If no significant competition, it seems Apple will sell a whole lot of these.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don’t know if there’s a 5K display of this quality available for that price.

And perhaps another "this too" for no standalone display just yet?

• Reply 19 of 91
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

I'm surprised that Apple haven't completely phased out HDDs yet. It must be one of the bulkiest and least reliable components in an iMac.

• Reply 20 of 91
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Quote:

If you don't self-ban, I'll just put you on ignore so you'll be banned forever in my universe. A person should be good to his/her word.

LOL...me too. No Apple MediaCenter today. Sog35, you need to vanish immediately.