Apple to require 64-bit support from all iOS apps starting in February

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    My iPad 2 has been fine.
    Was sitting outside under the porch yesterday - heard the phone ring inside and took the call on the iPad.
    iOS 8 ain't too bad even on these old slowpokes. :D
  • Reply 22 of 43
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    canukstorm wrote: »
    Agree completely.  Devices using the A5 processors should have seen end of support this year.

So devices that they're selling right now should become obsolete in 2 months?
  • Reply 23 of 43
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So what apps showcase the benefit of 64-bit? Does Apple highlight them on the App Store?
  • Reply 24 of 43
    rogifan wrote: »
    So what apps showcase the benefit of 64-bit? Does Apple highlight them on the App Store?

Dunno. No.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Apps can have both 32 and 64 bit binaries in the same app. Apple is just saying you can no longer exclude 64-bit. Besides the effort to upgrade apps to 64-bit, the reason some developers have avoided it is it means dropping support for iOS 6.x. So while no current device will be left in the cold, any device that can't be updated to at least iOS 7 is going to stop getting app updates of any kind, unless something has changed recently.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So devices that they're selling right now should become obsolete in 2 months?

People who can afford the latest don't give a damn about those of us who have older devices :( 

• Reply 27 of 43
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member
    Will you still need me?
    Will you still feed me?
    "when I'm 64"(bit)!
  • Reply 28 of 43
    oldmacs wrote: »

People who can afford the latest don't give a damn about those of us who have older devices :( 

QFT
    Thankfully Apple does tho.
    (This from a MacPro 1,1 owner. Don't get me started about efi !
    But I'm over it now, lol. I'm gonna hack the old girl to run Yosemite very soon.)
  • Reply 29 of 43
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

Honestly, there was no need to have iOS 8 support for the 4S, iPad 2, iPad mini (non-retina).  Supporting those processors unnecessarily holds things back.  There are a lot of people who are having a poor experience running iOS 8 on these devices.  What's going to happen when they try to run iOS 9 next year?

What about security updates? You want to have a lot of devices with security holes in them like Android has, tarnishing the Apple brand??? Apple does NOT make security updates for older IOS versions which i think it really should consider because the hardware is still OK for many without the new features.

• Reply 30 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by habi View Post

What about security updates? You want to have a lot of devices with security holes in them like Android has, tarnishing the Apple brand??? Apple does NOT make security updates for older IOS versions which i think it really should consider because the hardware is still OK for many without the new features.

Apple has done at least one security update for iOS devices unable to upgrade to the latest OS: iOS 6.1.6 was released for the iPhone 3GS and 4th gen iPod Touch at the same time as iOS 7.0.6 for later models, fixing an SSL verification issue.

Based on evidence so far, it has to be a pretty major problem before Apple will bother. None of the iOS 8.x security fixes have been back ported to iOS 7.x for the iPhone 4. I agree that they should do this on a more regular basis for devices unable to upgrade to the latest iOS.

I wouldn't expect that to go as far as issuing security updates for an old iOS version for devices which can upgrade to a later major version (e.g. ongoing updates to iOS 7 for an iPad 2). The software update mechanism in iTunes and iOS has no concept of there being two different new versions you might be able to install and letting you pick one. Apple could add this later but I doubt they would want to as it would increase version fragmentation.

• Reply 31 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RobM View Post

QFT

Thankfully Apple does tho.

But I'm over it now, lol. I'm gonna hack the old girl to run Yosemite very soon.)

I got burned by Mountain Lion not running on the White Macbook 2008 :/  

But I've been lucky with my iPad 2!!

• Reply 32 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I use lots of math calculations in my apps and when I added support for 64-bit for one of them there were more than 200 warnings regarding the use of int (for integer variables). It is not difficult but not as simple as checking a box.

Apple will not remove 32-bit apps after Feb 2015. They will not approve new apps or updates to existing apps after that date.

It shouldn't be that bad, but you do need to be stricter with your declarations, e.g. int16_t, int32_t and so on. It's generally a good idea to know exactly what you're declaring and not leave it up to the compiler to decide. Also, if you port your code to some other platform, it will be easier and more predictable. 

For your current apps, using Replace should be quite quick or Replace All if you're fairly confident of the conversions. I'm converting old code that use int, long, etc. from one platform to another and it's quite easy. Knowing the old platform's long is int32_t, int is int16_t, etc, it's quite straight-forward! 

• Reply 33 of 43
    canukstorm wrote: »
    Honestly, there was no need to have iOS 8 support for the 4S, iPad 2, iPad mini (non-retina).  Supporting those processors unnecessarily holds things back.  There are a lot of people who are having a poor experience running iOS 8 on these devices.  What's going to happen when they try to run iOS 9 next year?
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    Yes, upgrading my iPad 2 to ios 8 was a mistake. It definitely slowed it down considerably. Surprised Apple allowed it.
    Are you crazy??? You do know that the iPad 2 has a 27% market share and the Mini 1 has a 20% Market share?? And that the iPad 2 was sold up to March and the iPad Mini 1 is still on sale?  I hardly see how it holds things back, if anything Apple spent NO time optimising for older devices sadly. Perhaps if they developed better for the older devices, they'd develop a less resource hungry iOS that would also run better on newer devices. The 4S has 20% of the iPhone market as well. You obviously don't own any of these so you don't give a damn about support for the millions of people using these devices. 

They're still selling the Mini 1, the iPod Touch 5 and the 5C which are all 32 Bit devices. The iPhone 5/5C, iPad 4 will definitely get iOS 9 and possibly iOS 10 (Hopefully). The A5 devices should be getting iOS 9 as well considering that they have a large market share and Apple is still selling them now. 

There is a huge installed base of A5 and A6 devices, so 32 Bit support is not going to vanish. 

^^^^ And did any of you take @oldmacs advice and do a clean install? I've updated 3 iPad 2's and while a bit slower than the iOS 7... they are by NO MEANS whatsoever unusable. In fact, they all work rather well considering the advancements in iOS since they first hit the market.

Or do a clean install. Worked wonders on my iPad 2.
    slurpy wrote: »
    Do yourself a favour and upgrade your iPad. If you don't want to spend on an Air2, you can probably get an Air at a great price. Will be 1000X better than what you have now. 

While I agree with this statement... it's also not absolutely necessary IMO.

Every single major app I use works perfectly fine... including Safari***, Mail, Twitter... and the biggest resource hog of all, Facebook (purely for business reasons, I hate the platform). Sub apps like iTunes, Pocket, Evernot, 1Password, IMDB, YouTube, Flickr, Shutterstock, Photo Manager Pro, EOS Remote, Dropbox, Maps, StreamToMe, FileBrowser... no need to go on... they all work.

*** Except the slowest and worst coded website on the Internet that I visit regularly: THIS ONE! :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:
  • Reply 34 of 43
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    robm wrote: »

MacPro1,1? And people say a Mac is expensive! Try keeping a using Windows box up and running for 8 years.
  • Reply 35 of 43

I wanted to buy a iPhone 5c for my daughter. But with all new binaries going fat next february 8GB of flash with a bigger iOS8 look a bit scary.

• Reply 36 of 43
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

You should have seen iOS 6 on my old 3GS....pain shows the need to go get a new device.

• Reply 37 of 43
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

You should have seen iOS 6 on my old 3GS....pain shows the need to go get a new device.

That's what I currently have. So, not sure what your alluding to. Speed is AOK.

• Reply 38 of 43
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by habi View Post

They do security updates. Though there are few security issues so... Hey! 6.1.6 was the last update for 6  and came after 7 was released.

Most of Apple's updates have nothing to do with security so it is not like there are tons of security holes in even devices that do not upgrade from major version changes.

If a major hole was found in the 6 codebase, I guess they would still update it now.... But, since there haven't been that we know of, it is all academic anyway.

• Reply 39 of 43
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

That's what I currently have. So, not sure what your alluding to. Speed is AOK.

Just the fact that eventually, the hardware can't keep up with the OS.  Still, the 3GS has 3, 4, 5, and 6...much better than any Android ever had.  As for speed, I had no problems using it for a year with 6 on it, just wasn't as snappy as when it have iOS 3.

• Reply 40 of 43
    philboogie wrote: »
    MacPro1,1? And people say a Mac is expensive! Try keeping a using Windows box up and running for 8 years.

Heh - I don't know why I kept it but it's still rock solid - runs smooth as silk.
    Couldn't see the need to upgrade it - handed down to the kids.
    Part of the furniture now