CVS joins Rite Aid in blocking Apple Pay in "CurrentC" plan to collect more customer data

Comments

• Reply 401 of 502
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

As if Apple doesn't use ApplePay to collect data.

They don’t. Get used to it.

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If you think Steve Jobs would have been able to get people to give up their credit cards you're smoking something.

Yes, air. If you’re deluded enough to think that credit cards will be around much longer, well...

• Reply 402 of 502

Really why bother. the links you had given make you inter all your info into their system anyway which is what they want from you anyway. IM just gonna not shop there anymore. 

• Reply 403 of 502
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

I found a petition on the whitehouse.gov website ==> http://wh.gov/icbF5

• Reply 404 of 502
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

A comprehensive list of Merchant Customer Exchange members:

• 7Eleven

• Acme Fresh Market

• Alon

• Bahama Breeze

• Banana Republic

• Baskin Robbins

• Bed Bath & Beyond

• Best Buy

• Buy Buy Baby

• The Capital Grille

• Christmas Tree Shops

• Chilis

• Circle K

• Conoco

• CVS/pharmacy

• Dick's Sporting Goods

• Dillards

• Dunkin Donuts

• Eddie V's Prime Seafood

• ExxonMobile

• Face Values

• Gap

• GetGo from Giant Eagle

• Giant Eagle

• HMS Host

• Hobby Lobby

• HyVee

• Kmart

• Kohl's

• Kum n Go

• Longhorn Steakhouse

• Lowe's

• Maggiano's Little Italy

• Meijer

• Michaels

• My Goods Market

• Old Navy

• Olive Garden

• Philips66

• PriceRite

• Publix

• QuikTrip

• RaceTrac

• RiteAid

• Sam's Club

• Sears

• Seasons Fresh Grill

• Sheetz

• Shell

• ShopRite

• Southwest Airlines

• Sunoco

• Target

• Walmart

• Wawa

• Wendy's

• Yardhouse

Any merchants that accept ApplePay or NFC will retain me as a customer. Companies that actively prohibit the use of NFC will not see another dollar from me:

Best Buy

CVS/pharmacy

RiteAid

From what I understand MCX has a no compete clauses with retailers  this is why for example Chevron Gas stations accept  Apple Pay and the other Gasoline retailers, who are with MCX, don't. So you see its not the retailers fault directly, it's their own stupidity in agreeing to these "no compete" terms with MCX . MCX must be laughing at their stupidity really!  In one sense, MCX by limiting choice to their customers has limited their customer's  ability to secure their payment transactions. It should be fascinating to see how this plays out. Retailers  didn't think thru the consequences of their actions. Of course its easy to say this in hindsight, I just don't know when they signed contracts with MCX or how easy it will be to get out of them!

• Reply 405 of 502
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

Thirty years of personal computing has killed more trees than any invention in the history of man.

Ever wonder where all the European Oak forest went? It took a small forest to make a single ship. What about all the Australian red cedar, toona Australis, one of the finest timbers on the planet. All gone, bar the occasional tree here and there, they went on railway sleepers in India.

• Reply 406 of 502
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ibeam wrote: »
    Thirty years of personal computing has killed more trees than any invention in the history of man.

That's not accurate. Computing has significantly reduced our dependence on wood-based product per capita. If computing didn't exist in those last 30 years as the world grew from less than 5 billion people to over 7 billion, we would have killed a lot more trees.
  • Reply 407 of 502
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,075member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm amazed at how much misinformation is out there regarding ?Pay. Some of it I think is intentional misleading but others seem to be completely ignorant. I just saw a post on Ars Technica that said people should boycott ?Pay because it's a proprietary solution. What a crock of shit. No you can't use ?Pay on an Android phone but Google Wallet does basically the same thing. And if Microsoft wanted to create their own version of ?Pay they could do it too. Retailers that accept ?Pay except any other form of contactless payment.

ApplePay actaully uses the tokenization software developed by Visa and MasterCard. It's everything after the NFC reader and is available to anyone that wants to use it. They just have to come up with a secure way of generating the token at the NFC terminal that meets Visa and MasterCard standards. The only thing proprietory to Apple is the way they generate the token, all within the iPhone.

I can see MS getting into it and even being able to license some of Apple, Inc. technology. But Google will not. The amount of money they will receive for generating a secure token for the transaction (.15/$100) pales compare to the amount of money they can generate by data mining their customers credit card purchases. Plus it will help spread the use of NFC terminals that ApplePay users can take advantage of.  It's a lose/lose situation for Google and Android. 

• Reply 408 of 502
    Clearly, the true costs of doing business with these businesses have been exposed. In exchange for their low prices, your customer data has become the "crack" which they have become addicted.

The real cost of "low, low prices" is your privacy.

Like others have noted, this will end up as a decision for the consumer at the point of sale to opt in with a club card number to get and keep those savings, so Apple Pay will not be the 2-second operation it should be but "Current C" will be flatly rejected by consumers.
  • Reply 409 of 502
    Sent to CVS and RiteAid:

| CVS should know that they will no longer receive any of my family's business due to
    | denial of Apple Pay services. To help your demographers, we are a family of four, I am
    | a 47 year old male, our combined household income is $267K/yr.
  • Reply 410 of 502

I wonder if CurrentC can track my habit of walking out the door to a retailer that supports Apple Pay?

• Reply 411 of 502
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    They don’t. Get used to it.

Yes, air. If you’re deluded enough to think that credit cards will be around much longer, well...

Yes they will be around in some form or fashion. Buying on credit isn't going anywhere.
  • Reply 412 of 502
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,503member

Speaking of demographics, I'd imagine a fairly large percentage of the transactions in these drug stores involve medicare recipients, i.e., older folks with potentially limited mobility and fixed incomes. I wonder what type of payment system best fits their needs? 

• Reply 413 of 502
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,778member
    chia wrote: »
    I believe you're failing to comprehend the several meanings of the word consume and therefore the meaning of kent's post and my reply.

One definition of consume is the act of  taking food for nourishment.  You don't eat air by absorbing it into your digestive tract, you inhale it.

Another definition of consume is  to use something to the point where it's changed or no longer usable or available.
    The nitrogen people inhale isn't used, it merely comes out again, unchanged and available in its original state.
    Conversely the corn people consume doesn't come out of them in the same state it entered!
    Their body may not utilise all of the corn but it definitely has used some of it!
    I suspect people won't be keen on eating corn passed out of somebody else, to them it will already have been consumed!

This whole nitrogen discussion is driving me around the bends!

p.s. I am a certified scuba diver so allowed to make that joke. :D
  • Reply 414 of 502
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,778member
    It' probably been said multiple times but I hope Apple, heck even Google, remove the apps for CurrentC from their respective app stores. I'm sure they both have small print that could justify this easily. Then we'd see Walmart et all having to make and sell their own device to use their system.

That said, I can see Google seeing this issue as a way to at least have a chance at surviving against ?Pay and come to some agreement with the CurrentC system by being willing to share the data whereas Apple never will.
  • Reply 415 of 502
    FWIW, there are 1,166 ratings for the CurrentC App ...

9 are rated 2 stars or above

1,157 are rated 1 star -- the minimum

My rating/review is shown as highlighted:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/51437/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 416 of 502
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

Speaking of demographics, I'd imagine a fairly large percentage of the transactions in these drug stores involve medicare recipients, i.e., older folks with potentially limited mobility and fixed incomes. I wonder what type of payment system best fits their needs? 

Cash or bank check, maybe welfare.

• Reply 417 of 502
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member

Automagic case study.  Creepy old companies like Rite Aid, Walmart, try to cut out convenience of credit card system established in the bedrock of American retail commerce for decades.  And their product competing with Apple Pay isn't even ready to roll out in beta.  Sounds like Google saying "we have even better encryption than Apple, we're just not ready to debut it, yet.

Real soon now.

Meanwhile, Bezos drives financial analysts crazy with the pace at which he adds and subtracts from his business model - adds Apple Pay to Amazon's VISA Rewards program on a three-day turnaround.

So, locally, it's back to Walgreens.  Otherwise, Amazon Prime rules!

• Reply 418 of 502
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,369member
    p.s. I am a certified scuba diver so allowed to make that joke. :D

So am I, for over 20 years now. No longer maintain my own tanks tho for a couple of reasons, nor have I done any diving in the past 3 years.
  • Reply 419 of 502
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Well, ?Pay was a good idea but good old American capitalism is at work. Follow the money. Why do you think the rest of the world is already using more secure methods of payment but it’s taking a government mandate for EMV in the U.S. That’s not until October 2015 and the politicians have plenty of time to futz with it or delay it.

• Reply 420 of 502
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,318member
    over 300 posts in a short time....an Appleinsider record? Let's take our business to Walgreens.