Apple's Tim Cook says his home state is 'too slow' on LGBT rights issue, pushes for education reform

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    spoopspoop Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

@charlituna, I give your post a thumbs up. But that is because I just read the first 4 words. Bisexual Females are the best!

I hope you don't mean what I think you mean...
  • Reply 22 of 80
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    I agree that this is not the correct site, but I must respond to hate and bigotry.

All professed Christians should read 1 Corinthians 13:1-13 (KJB, preferably) very carefully, and consider every word deeply and profoundly before making any negative comments, particularly those who assume that they know the mind of our creators better than the Apostle Paul.

Anyone who wishes to pursue this issue further should provide the link to a more appropriate forum and we can take it up there.

Meanwhile, I'm loving Apple's part in making "the glass" more transparent and letting us see the present and the future more clearly!
  • Reply 23 of 80
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Smurfman View Post

Sorry Tim, but those who truly follow Christ will NEVER agree homosexuality is appropriate. It's a "slap in the face" of God and His creation. God's greatest creation was both man and woman - and, most importantly, their union that displays/represents so much of God and His character. Homosexuality is a perversion of those truths... just like adultery is a "slap in the face" of everything God intended for marriage because it perverts the love, faithfulness, selflessness, and commitment in marriage that is actually a mirror of God's love, faithfulness, and commitment toward us.

The Pope disagrees with you.

JoeSpitzak
  • Reply 24 of 80
    Quote:

all I can say is don't let culture trick and fool you into its own belief system. "Progressive" is not all that it's cracked up to be.

So true! If I ever see one more Judge Judy case where an unmarried rape victim refuses to marry and become the property of their perpetrator as god mandates them to, it'll be too soon. Progress is for losers.

• Reply 25 of 80
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member

payeco... I don't care if your gay or lesbian, but two issues here.

#1. The number of creative people in the 1.5% of true homosexuals is not going to out weigh the number of creative people in the other 98.5% of society.

#2. I don't see Adobe out marching in the gay parades, but they are at NAB, WPPI, etc., etc. demonstrating their wares. They are killing Apple in the creative software department with Premier, Photoshop and Lightroom.

We are talking business here, not social agendas. I have already dropped Aperture since Apple's announcement of non-support and gone over to Adobe and I'm not coming back to Apple again for photographic software. My work is professional, not kiddy phones. I like what FCPX has to offer, but Adobe has support. Apple has and is gathering a nice reputation as the pro-market software killer. You just get a piece of software/hardware you think you can build a business on and Apple pulls the rug out form under you. If you want equality you better keep Apple spending it money on product rather than chasing social agendas... Otherwise I can either switch platforms for security or close my doors which won't do employees any good be they gay or straight.

Move to Adobe software then. Apple could not care less. Apple has literally, on their own website, provided help for people to move from Aperture to Lightroom. Chances are you're still running that Adobe software on Apple hardware anyway, no?

Additionally, referring to gay people's quest for equal rights as a "social agenda" would certainly alienate you to the 98.5% of the creative community that is straight, to use your statistics, so I have to wonder if you're actually a creative.

By the way: http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2011/01/adobe-employees-it-gets-better.html
  • Reply 26 of 80
    Quote:

"Education reform"

Sorry Tim, but those who truly follow Christ will NEVER agree homosexuality is appropriate. It's a "slap in the face" of God and His creation. God's greatest creation was both man and woman - and, most importantly, their union that displays/represents so much of God and His character. Homosexuality is a perversion of those truths... just like adultery is a "slap in the face" of everything God intended for marriage because it perverts the love, faithfulness, selflessness, and commitment in marriage that is actually a mirror of God's love, faithfulness, and commitment toward us.

This is one of the reasons God says homosexuality is such an abomination -because it distorts/perverts marriage, God's true words, and His true character.

Homosexuality (especially homosexual marriage) is incredibly offensive to followers of Christ and, I believe, even more offensive to God Himself.

I've been an Apple fanatic since the early 90s and am deeply saddened by Apple's intense drive to support the LesbianGayBisexualTransgender movement. I've bought many many Apple products and "evangelised" many others into the Apple fold over the years. I regret that now.

I know my belief, based on God's word, is offensive to many here but all I can say is don't let culture trick and fool you into its own belief system. "Progressive" is not all that it's cracked up to be.

Smurfman, Being that that amount of knowledge we have now vastly outweighs the knowledge when the bible was written, and being that you are probably an adult, why do you still believe in fairy tales?  Don't talk about god's love, blah blah blah, when a simple reading of your holy book shows that according to the bible throwing your daughters out to a mob to be gang raped is a good thing.  That is just one of the countless disgusting atrocities.  

If you are worried about offending a figment of your imagination I am sure there is an app for locating a decent shrink.  

This is not about progressive vs conservative, this is about simple equal rights, your same arguments were used against blacks 50 years ago, and frankly it is sickening.  

Let me make it simple for you...if you are offended by it...don't marry a guy.....that is all there is too it.  Keep your own backwoods, stone aged, desert dwelling morality to yourself.

• Reply 27 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by payeco View Post

Move to Adobe software then. Apple could not care less. Apple has literally, on their own website, provided help for people to move from Aperture to Lightroom. Chances are you're still running that Adobe software on Apple hardware anyway, no?

Additionally, referring to gay people's quest for equal rights as a "social agenda" would certainly alienate you to the 98.5% of the creative community that is straight, to use your statistics, so I have to wonder if you're actually a creative.

By the way: http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2011/01/adobe-employees-it-gets-better.html

Yep... I'm about as worried about what you are posting as Chic-fil-A is. As I said, Tim needs to quit campaigning and get things done at Apple. Like fixing the memory leak in Apple Mail and the Remote Desktop upgrade bug in his new Yosemite OS. That is much more important to me than listening to somebody complain about their sex life.

• Reply 28 of 80
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Cook's commitment to "equality" is the easy and trivial identity political form of it. Most of his actions as CEO - tax avoidance in Ireland and the US, share repurchases, even dividends are deepening real inequality, class inequality. 

• Reply 29 of 80
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Let's face it: Alabama will never join the 20th, let alone the 21st century.  This is fact.  Alabama and Mississippi are mired in a 19th century view of the world.  Even Georgia is making strides to join the rest of us in the modern world.  

But AL and MS?  It's just not going to happen.  Some rocks can't be broken.  The sooner we realize these realities, the better.

• Reply 30 of 80
    smurfman wrote: »
    "Education reform"

This is one of the reasons God says homosexuality is such an abomination -because it distorts/perverts marriage, God's true words, and His true character.

Homosexuality (especially homosexual marriage) is incredibly offensive to followers of Christ and, I believe, even more offensive to God Himself.

I've been an Apple fanatic since the early 90s and am deeply saddened by Apple's intense drive to support the LesbianGayBisexualTransgender movement. I've bought many many Apple products and "evangelised" many others into the Apple fold over the years. I regret that now.

I know my belief, based on God's word, is offensive to many here but all I can say is don't let culture trick and fool you into its own belief system. "Progressive" is not all that it's cracked up to be.

Well said.
  • Reply 31 of 80
    The problem with Cook banging on about the poor having an unfair chance in life, is that it is not Apple's position to do anything about it.

How do you define poor in relation to Apple? I'm sure there are thousands, if not millions, of people who struggle to afford Apple products, but nevertheless buy them. There are many degrees of poor. By catering to the very poorest, Apple is discriminating against those who aren't quite as poor, but who still struggle to afford things. It seems strange that Cook should speak about helping the poor when he runs a company that sells the most expensive computers on the planet.

In light of the lack of any revolutionary product, either in the past four years or on the horizon (no, the Apple Watch is not revolutionary), Apple would be better advised to lower the cost of all their products. They have no need for all the cash that they have.

It is the government's job to ensure that everyone is able to have a good education, not Apple's.

If Tim Cook wishes to embark upon a political career, the time is ripe. He has achieved good things at Apple, but the lack of focus has been showing for some time. Apple now needs a new CEO who can guide Apple on its next journey.
    JoeSpitzak
  • Reply 32 of 80
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

The problem with Cook banging on about the poor having an unfair chance in life, is that it is not Apple's position to do anything about it.

How do you define poor in relation to Apple? I'm sure there are thousands, if not millions, of people who struggle to afford Apple products, but nevertheless buy them. There are many degrees of poor. By catering to the very poorest, Apple is discriminating against those who aren't quite as poor, but who still struggle to afford things. It seems strange that Cook should speak about helping the poor when he runs a company that sells the most expensive computers on the planet.

In light of the lack of any revolutionary product, either in the past four years or on the horizon (no, the Apple Watch is not revolutionary), Apple would be better advised to lower the cost of all their products. They have no need for all the cash that they have.

It is the government's job to ensure that everyone is able to have a good education, not Apple's.

If Tim Cook wishes to embark upon a political career, the time is ripe. He has achieved good things at Apple, but the lack of focus has been showing for some time. Apple now needs a new CEO who can guide Apple on its next journey.

The lack of focus comes from down the chain as well. I wonder if too many very smart people have called in rich. 

• Reply 33 of 80

For those of you who are determined to define marriage by the strict terms of the bible, I presume all of these biblical definitions are also perfectly fine with you?

• Reply 34 of 80
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    Perhaps people should also make comments based on fact and not make believe stuff like the existence of a higher power and the so called book this higher power had written as a guide for human laws. I'm okay with people believing in magic, ghost, and Santa Claus however I think those beliefs stop short of telling others how to live and what legal rights they should have or not have. If one wishes to see what a nation that adheres to strict religious dogma then look to Iran for it is a model of what some American's desire for the USA. Cook's speech point's out how as a nation we are better when all have the chance to excel and become the best we can be. This is an American value which has been slowly realized yet set upon the world in 1776, a radical idea that people are not born into a cast system or less than anyone else. These are values I hold.
  • Reply 35 of 80
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by justamacguy View Post

Yep... I'm about as worried about what you are posting as Chic-fil-A is. As I said, Tim needs to quit campaigning and get things done at Apple. Like fixing the memory leak in Apple Mail and the Remote Desktop upgrade bug in his new Yosemite OS. That is much more important to me than listening to somebody complain about their sex life.

I doubt Tim's Objective-C is good enough to fix those bugs.

And I don't think Tim made any reference to his sex life.

JoeSpitzak
  • Reply 36 of 80
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

I don't agree that Tim has lost focus, not at all.

I am divided on the issue of gay marriage. You cannot discriminate against someone based on their perceived or apparent sexual preference, period. Nor disallow inter-race marriage. These are dark ages practises. That's what I heard in the video, and I liked the diction, the tone, and the emotion in this speech. I was moved by it. Having said that, I don't understand why civil partnership shouldn't be the preferred term instead of marriage for same sex life partners. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Drake View Post

If you are worried about offending a figment of your imagination I am sure there is an app for locating a decent shrink.  

I don't think anyone can dictate to anyone else that their faith in God is a figment of their imagination. I am more science and rationality oriented than any of the so called "atheists" and I probably read more books on the sciences and evolution in particular than many of them put together, and I don't think God, Christ and his martyrdom, the new testament, christian morality and ethics, the afterlife, the soul, are issues one has any right to dismiss as imaginary simply because they don't find any personal meaning there. And I 've been a Christian, an agnostic, a buddhist, and a Christian again and I 've come to deeply realise what some very very bright people, in the fullest sense of the word (and people that were extremely rational, productive, creative etc - not folks that sat about praising the lord every day) have found in Christ and his word. 

• Reply 37 of 80
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Stay out of politics Tim and deliver a new Apple TV already.
    JoeSpitzak
  • Reply 38 of 80

Which makes you wonder why it was posted here at all. At the very least, the article should have been in PO.

These stories should definitely be filed under Political Outsider. There is no reason to post these stories other than to generate angry, divisive or snarky comments. "Clicks is clicks"...
  • Reply 39 of 80
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member

America was the first country to propose at least equality for all its citizens. We were one of the first republics where nobody was subject to a king or queen. Our laws are written by we the people and these laws as well as our government was designed to change and adapt as our elected leaders saw fit. The church (meaning all religious organizations) were left out of the law making and power structure of our government and constitution. Religious laws cannot be enforced against anyone against their will. Marriage is a legal contract between a couple of adults and the state. This is why you register your marriage with the state you live in so you tax status is known to them as well as inheritance and other laws written to benefit a surviving spouse and or children. To make this clear, a marriage ceremony in a house worship only is not a legal marriage unless a license has been signed by the couple. Same gender couples do not need the "blessing" of a religious organization to be married. Equality under our laws is an ongoing process with major hurdles crossed from time to time. Enslaved  American born people where kept from their rights or equality because they were legally viewed as property and not humans. This went against most Christian beliefs however Christians "owned" slaves. If your religious beliefs dictate that you have the right to keep fellow Americans from the same rights you enjoy perhaps you need to examine those beliefs and those that continue to promote them. The promise of America will someday come and the obstacles preventing same gender marriage will soon be a thing of the past. 

• Reply 40 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Drake View Post

Smurfman, Being that that amount of knowledge we have now vastly outweighs the knowledge when the bible was written, and being that you are probably an adult, why do you still believe in fairy tales?  Don't talk about god's love, blah blah blah, when a simple reading of your holy book shows that according to the bible throwing your daughters out to a mob to be gang raped is a good thing.  That is just one of the countless disgusting atrocities.  

This is not about progressive vs conservative, this is about simple equal rights, your same arguments were used against blacks 50 years ago, and frankly it is sickening.  

Let me make it simple for you...if you are offended by it...don't marry a guy.....that is all there is too it.  Keep your own backwoods, stone aged, desert dwelling morality to yourself.

Nope, not a fairy tale. There are countless cases on how the Bible is proven accurate and true – from numerous archeological finds to the amazing discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls, to countless prophecies that have come true (even recent ones such as Israel becoming a nation after almost 2000 years, Jerusalem being recaptured, and the Hebrew language being reborn after being lost for over a millennia). FYI... Next prophecy to keep an eye on in coming true is the rebuilding of the Jewish temple in Jerusalem (on or around where the Dome of the Rock is today).

Regarding the reference to Sodom and Gomorrah, one of the great things of the Bible is it reveals everything in raw detail. Lot and his family were Godly but as the Bible stresses hundreds, if not thousands, of times is that man is sinful and needs salvation from God. Lot was not perfect – NONE of us are. He did not act rightly in offering his daughter to the mob but there's more to the story! Messengers from God (i.e. angels) had come to Lot's home to warn them about the coming judgement of that city. The mob saw them and wanted to have sex with them and stormed his house. Lot knew these were angels, God's messengers, and wanted to protect them by offering his daughter. Of course, they didn't need protection – they blinded the mob temporarily – and Lot's daughter's were not offered to the mob. God saved them – as He loves to do for us.

You, like so many, take God's word and twist it to your own needs. And I think part of the reason that's done is because you stay ignorant of His truth. As Jesus said, "knock and the door will be opened for you, seek [God] and you will find". But so many pass by the door and never knock. Or if they knock, it's only once and non-committal. He wants us to seek Him with all our heart. Be persistent and He will show Himself to you – and you and God will have a real and genuine relationship.