How many of us use dvorak?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 134
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    no i mean the keys in the keycaps window...

like what happens to it when u type in the little text box

AFICT?

[ 01-02-2003: Message edited by: Paul ]</p>
  • Reply 62 of 134
    I still don't get what you mean by "geographically". :confused:

ooops I meant AFAICT -- a common acronym for As Far As I Can Tell.
  • Reply 63 of 134
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    heheh

it is hard to explain what i mean, esp using Dvorak...

basically i want to be able to see the keycaps window at all times as if it is the active app, and i want it to act as if it is the active app also (showing which key is being pressed when)
  • Reply 64 of 134
    Ah, I believe the term you meant to use is *globally*. Gotcha.
  • Reply 65 of 134
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    woo, heh, why did I find this thread now? Ok, will have to try this out. Um, maybe on second thought I'll have to do this after doing some coding.

Edit: just in case anyone is interested, here's a link to a tutorial by Dan Wood, of Karelia Software.

<a href="http://www.karelia.com/abcd/abcd.html"; target="_blank">http://www.karelia.com/abcd/abcd.html</a>;

[ 01-02-2003: Message edited by: MCQ ]</p>
  • Reply 66 of 134
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    [quote]Originally posted by MCQ:

<strong>woo, heh, why did I find this thread now? Ok, will have to try this out. Um, maybe on second thought I'll have to do this after doing some coding.

Edit: just in case anyone is interested, here's a link to a tutorial by Dan Wood, of Karelia Software.

<a href="http://www.karelia.com/abcd/abcd.html"; target="_blank">http://www.karelia.com/abcd/abcd.html</a>;

[ 01-02-2003: Message edited by: MCQ ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

that's already linked on the first page of this topic.
  • Reply 67 of 134
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Oh, heh must've missed it. Sorry bout that.
  • Reply 68 of 134
    Does anyone know where I can find Norwegian dvorak drivers for Mac OS X? I've only found for Mac OS 9, but that doesn't help me much. I'd really like to start typing with dvorak, but since I'm stuck with the US version of it, I can't use my norwegian letters.
  • Reply 69 of 134
    [quote]Originally posted by henrikv:

<strong>Does anyone know where I can find Norwegian dvorak drivers for Mac OS X?</strong><hr></blockquote>Remember, Dvorak was specifically designed for the english language.

A quote from <a href="http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/national.html"; target="_blank">http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/national.html</a>;

[quote]CAVEAT: The one-and-only genuine Dvorak Simplified Keyboard is the English version (currently in use with only minor variations). Attempts to create other-language "Dvorak" layouts probably won't be researched as thoroughly as the original was. I do not and cannot endorse the layouts discussed here. Please consider them "experimental." Any non-English "standard" that is eventually settled upon might differ considerably from what you find here. <hr></blockquote>Read the rest of that page for more information on international Dvorak layouts.
  • Reply 70 of 134
    I hope someone reads this. . .

Anyway, I want to rearrange the keys on a USB Pro Keyboard. Yeah, Yeah, I know it's not proper, but I never really could quite master the QWERTY (Keys are too damned far apart and I have long & stiff fingers) and I'd like to make sure that when I'm learning, I can fairly easily locate a key if it comes down to that.

Plus, I'm a stickler for neatness and accuracy. I don't want my Dvorak Keyboard to look Qwerty, and since I'll be modifying the USB drivers rather than using System Preferences, switching back and forth is not going to happen. (I have my PB built-in for QWERTY if needed).
  • Reply 71 of 134
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    this is not a problem, splinemodel, just pop them off and rearrange them. (assuming you have a keyboard from apple, don't know about others.)
  • Reply 72 of 134
    [quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:

<strong>I'll be modifying the USB drivers rather than using System Preferences</strong><hr></blockquote>Why go to such lengths as this?
  • Reply 73 of 134
    ok so this is related, albeit obliquely. ;-&gt;

please no flaming cuz I do love this country (though not particularly the current government) but what I'd like to know is, how can I change the American Flag to something else in the menu bar when using the feature that puts it there? I just don't want a flag on my desktop.

thanks for your help. great thread and I look forward to switching soon. we should launch a DVORAK switchers campaign. hehe.

peace...

J
  • Reply 74 of 134
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    [quote]Originally posted by BronxRed:

<strong>ok so this is related, albeit obliquely. ;-&gt;

how can I change the American Flag to something else in the menu bar when using the feature that puts it there?

J</strong><hr></blockquote>

One way to do so is to simply use Dvorak so that the flag is replaced by a "DV" symbol.

Related, I've decided to write a USB kext for the pro keyboard that alters the mappings directly. That will solve the problem universally, though it will be a bit less flexible unless you're like me and you have two keyboards. (1 ADB, 1 USB)

Just starting Dvorak. . . This is going to take some time.

[quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>Why go to such lengths as this?</strong><hr></blockquote>

puff, puff -- reverting to qwerty --

Certain programs look at the direct key codes and not the character codes. All of these are done with QWERTY in mind. One thing in particular is Xdarwin. There are others as well. Anyway, with my driver the computer will think the keyboard is qwerty, but it's actually Dvorak. This way one can also have to keyboards on one machine: one qwerty, the other dvorak.

[ 01-05-2003: Message edited by: Splinemodel ]</p>
  • Reply 75 of 134
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    should I switch to dvorak when I'm more or less ok with qwerty ? I mean I look at my keyboard, despite knowing where the keys are.
  • Reply 76 of 134
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

<strong>

I mean sure you can switch back to qwerty... but thats a pain in the ass...

</strong>

<hr></blockquote>

If you hit the Options... button in the Input Menu tab of the International Preferences you can turn on a shortcut that lets you switch keyboard layouts using Command+Option+Space.

easy-peasy
  • Reply 77 of 134
    just had to register to tell you people. I use "yukon" on so many boards, but oh well.

enable the root (netinfo, copy a known encrypted password from anothor user, paste on root's password, root now has the known password), login as root, and change the keyboard settings. it will carry on to the login window (systemwide). that modified kext writing thing is totally unnecessary and probably a bad thing to implement.

I switched to dvorak, it took me half a year because I kept switching back when "I just need speed to finish this report/email/essay", but I would have switched much faster had I stuck with it. I doubled by keying speed, and type with about 2% as many errors. I plan on tripling my speed by next month :-)
  • Reply 78 of 134
    [quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:

<strong>

Certain programs look at the direct key codes and not the character codes. All of these are done with QWERTY in mind. One thing in particular is Xdarwin. There are others as well.

</strong>

<hr></blockquote>

Just in case anyone gets the wrong impression, X Windows can easily handle Dvorak without hardware hacks.

----------------------------------

Question for the Dvorak switchers:

Are you using the DV or DQ layout? (The latter switches back to QWERTY when you press the Command key)

I started with DQ, but after switching at work (Win 2k) it's began to bug me that I have to think about what machine I'm on before I cut and paste.

I currently work around this by using Shift-Delete and Shift-Insert for Cut and Paste at work but now I think in for a penny...

You have to love those old skool keyboard shortcuts in Windows. Alt-F4 anyone?
  • Reply 79 of 134
    [quote]Originally posted by yukon2:

<strong>enable the root (netinfo, copy a known encrypted password from anothor user, paste on root's password, root now has the known password), login as root, and change the keyboard settings. it will carry on to the login window (systemwide).</strong><hr></blockquote>Ick no!! root == Very Bad? for users who don't know what it really does. You can simply 'sudo' launch the System Prefs to get it to run as the root user to change these settings. No need to open a security hole and possibly introduce some permissions bugs on the system!

Run this one line in the terminal (or use the app Pseudo) to launch the System Prefs as root:

sudo /Applications/System\\ Preferences.app/Contents/MacOS/System\\ Preferences&

Enter your regular admin user's pass when prompted in the Terminal.

[ 01-06-2003: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 80 of 134
    geez man, only as dangerous as running MacOS or Windows, you are root there 24/7. I understand you and agree in some ways. but "permission bugs"? and it's only as big a security hole as having an admin user in the sudoers.

I say it's important to enable the root for troubleshooting purposes. But, if you are stupid and want to rm -xx " (moron warning: the real command would erase all files on the hard drive, it isn't x or ") or deleting system files without knowing what they do, then close the root by opening up netinfo again, and change root's password after to * (it's a wildcard) to disable the root. or use sudo to learn nothing or to use a quicker command.

Root is allowed to modify the system, so instead of just being able to delete/infect/damage your own documents and files, you can break your system by playing around with the terminal or deleting system files.

Sudo lets you run things as another user. Useful.